Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-19-2015, 11:31 AM   #301
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
All credit to Seattle and Wilson though-to make those two throws in OT to end the game after having one of the worse games of his career...just wow. Nobody seems to have mentioned this, but it looked to me that Lynch purposedly slowed down as he was scoring his TD and did a "crotch grab" move while looking at the sidelines. Anyone else see that?

The NFL sure saw it:

Marshawn Lynch of Seattle Seahawks may face NFL discipline for making obscene gesture, shunning media - ESPN

Lynch has to get some kind of counseling I think here as fines/warnings from the NFL doesn't seem to have any affect on him.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:38 AM   #302
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I read somewhere anecdotally that the NFL threatened to eject him from the game for improper footwear or something? If they start kicking him out of games, that will get his attention.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:40 AM   #303
MikeVic
Head Coach

Suspend him for the Super Bowl!!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:05 PM   #304
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
The NFL sure saw it:

Marshawn Lynch of Seattle Seahawks may face NFL discipline for making obscene gesture, shunning media - ESPN

Lynch has to get some kind of counseling I think here as fines/warnings from the NFL doesn't seem to have any affect on him.

Counseling? Try psychiatric evaluation for mental illness.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:37 PM   #305
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

We'd just be told how he's some sort of victim of something or another.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:52 PM   #306
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
When aren't the Patriots cheating?
Heck, they even made the Seahawks beat the Packers.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:56 PM   #307
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Obscene gestures aside, don't we need interesting characters in the game?

Aside from a couple of driving incidents, he has led a fairly clean life. I don't see why forcing him to talk to people who often deliberately get stories wrong to create controversy is of any use to anyone. And if he wants to pay a lot of money for gold-leaf cleats that he can't wear in a game, at least it's stimulating the economy.

Like Clinton Portis, he's a little immature. But I think the league is richer for having him around. And he shows up and plays hard for the Seahawks. When his teammates stop wanting him around, I'll pay some attention to all this nonsense.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:02 PM   #308
Dutch
"Dutch"

Fair, I think the NFL is probably more pissed that he was mocking NFL executives by making fun of the "civilized" hand-shake gesture. Honestly, it doesn't detract from the game to me. What detracts me from the game is the Bucs being so shitty, they should fine guys for that.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:05 PM   #309
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Obscene gestures aside, don't we need interesting characters in the game?

Aside from a couple of driving incidents, he has led a fairly clean life. I don't see why forcing him to talk to people who often deliberately get stories wrong to create controversy is of any use to anyone. And if he wants to pay a lot of money for gold-leaf cleats that he can't wear in a game, at least it's stimulating the economy.

Like Clinton Portis, he's a little immature. But I think the league is richer for having him around. And he shows up and plays hard for the Seahawks. When his teammates stop wanting him around, I'll pay some attention to all this nonsense.

I hear ya. But making obscene gestures on the field and continually defying the league mandates with his conduct with the media is a slap in the league's face. I get let the little stuff go, but the league has those rules in place to improve the fan experience. I don't think they're wrong if they feel they need to severely punish a repeat and unapologetic offender.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:30 PM   #310
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Like it or not, this SB matchup is going to go down as a litmus test sort of thing, right? In the everpresent Brady/Manning rivalry, we'll look back on these two and one easy measure will be "how did they do against the same Seahawks team in the Superbowl?" Manning got flattened. (Yes, it was a team flattening, but come on, we know that QB dick measuring always turns into wins and losses) So, we'll see what happens to Brady. If the Pats win this game, it's going to be a "case closed" sort of thing to a ton of people.

And... on a slightly new path, if the Seahawks win again, especially with a big showing from the defense, their team D will likely be launched to the front of a "greatest of all time" debate, because that's what we do. Hoisting trophies in front of these two QB would be great fodder for such an argument.

If the Seahawks win again handily, it's hard to see where the AFC challenge will come from in the next few years.The biggest block to more SBs may be either the salary cap or not getting home field in the playoffs.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:35 PM   #311
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
If the Seahawks win again handily, it's hard to see where the AFC challenge will come from in the next few years.The biggest block to more SBs may be either the salary cap or not getting home field in the playoffs.

We have accepted champions with as many as seven losses. The season and playoffs are a permutation of a near-infinite number of possibilities.

Seattle is playing very well right now, and may beat New England 6 of 10. A couple of those wins may be lop-sided. But the conferences are very close in talent. One player will make a difference.

It'll be interesting to see what Belichick will come up with, having two weeks to adjust to what Seattle will surely do to their receivers.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:40 PM   #312
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post

Considering Russell Wilson is going to become the highest paid QB in the NFL after super bowl they're looking at adding an extra $22-$23 mil on average to their payroll. Salary cap will be the biggest obstacle.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:49 PM   #313
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
We have accepted champions with as many as seven losses. The season and playoffs are a permutation of a near-infinite number of possibilities.

Seattle is playing very well right now, and may beat New England 6 of 10. A couple of those wins may be lop-sided. But the conferences are very close in talent. One player will make a difference.

It'll be interesting to see what Belichick will come up with, having two weeks to adjust to what Seattle will surely do to their receivers.

6 out of 10???
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:11 PM   #314
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

I was trying to be polite/PC about it, but yeah.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:57 PM   #315
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
6 out of 10???

I don't think it's a stretch to say Seattle may be slight favorites.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:25 PM   #316
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Considering Russell Wilson is going to become the highest paid QB in the NFL after super bowl they're looking at adding an extra $22-$23 mil on average to their payroll. Salary cap will be the biggest obstacle.

No more Beast Mode next year, either.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:53 PM   #317
QuikSand
lolzcat

While Lynch has been good, they seem positioned really well at RB to shed salary there. I can't imagine that they undermine what they want to do if they drop to featuring Michael and Turbin.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:14 PM   #318
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
While Lynch has been good, they seem positioned really well at RB to shed salary there. I can't imagine that they undermine what they want to do if they drop to featuring Michael and Turbin.

maybe on the face of things, but no matter how common-sense it seems nowadays that RBs are replaceable i have a hard time believing that Lynch is not offering something extra for this team (and the fans, who then feed the team) with the way he plays

I have no problem with him not speaking with the media btw. When you have freedom of the press and freedom of speech and hold these things sacred, individuals should also be allowed to choose not to speak...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #319
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I dunno man, I generally agree but Lynch may be the best back I've ever seen after contact. I'd expect Michael to have at least challenged Turbin by now.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:32 PM   #320
Travis
Pro Rookie

They're set up cap wise for at least the next 3-5 years, that's including Lynch coming back next year (so becomes more flexible if he retires). With Lynch it's a coin flip as to what he'll do, but he is under contract for next year and I would be the least bit surprised to see him back.

As far as Turbin/Michael go, it's not so much Michael challenging Turbin as it is Michael being Lynch's backup. Turbin has a much different skillset/role in the offense than what they want Michael to do. Granted, if Lynch goes down in the SB, I'd imagine Turbin would get the lions share of the work, but during the season it was likely that had Lynch been hurt, that Michael would have stepped into the majority of that role with Turbin remaining the change of pace/2 minute back.

The system the Seahawks are trying to set up is one where they'd have 10+ picks every draft. Just like they sent out their sales pitch to agents for UDFA's last year, they'll keep churning that pool year in and year out.

There's a guy on twitter (Davis Hsu) who does great work looking at the numbers and he seems to have a fantastic feel for how the new deals will look, and well, yeah, it's the reason Maxwell more than likely isn't back with the team next year and why they'll enjoy getting a 3rd or 4th round comp pick for him at the following draft.

Lots can go wrong no doubt, but cap management wise, John Schneider is doing a hell of a job.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:39 PM   #321
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
They're set up cap wise for at least the next 3-5 years, that's including Lynch coming back next year (so becomes more flexible if he retires). With Lynch it's a coin flip as to what he'll do, but he is under contract for next year and I would be the least bit surprised to see him back.

As far as Turbin/Michael go, it's not so much Michael challenging Turbin as it is Michael being Lynch's backup. Turbin has a much different skillset/role in the offense than what they want Michael to do. Granted, if Lynch goes down in the SB, I'd imagine Turbin would get the lions share of the work, but during the season it was likely that had Lynch been hurt, that Michael would have stepped into the majority of that role with Turbin remaining the change of pace/2 minute back.

The system the Seahawks are trying to set up is one where they'd have 10+ picks every draft. Just like they sent out their sales pitch to agents for UDFA's last year, they'll keep churning that pool year in and year out.

There's a guy on twitter (Davis Hsu) who does great work looking at the numbers and he seems to have a fantastic feel for how the new deals will look, and well, yeah, it's the reason Maxwell more than likely isn't back with the team next year and why they'll enjoy getting a 3rd or 4th round comp pick for him at the following draft.

Lots can go wrong no doubt, but cap management wise, John Schneider is doing a hell of a job.

The key for Schneider's system is drafting well, which he hasn't done the past 2 drafts. They'll be fine if he can get back to drafting the way the did from '10-'12, but it's going to fall apart if they keep having drafts like '13 and '14.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:47 PM   #322
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wonder how significant the discussion has been about firing McCarthy today.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:52 PM   #323
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I wonder how significant the discussion has been about firing McCarthy today.

I would say there has been none. What happens is he calls more pass plays in the fourth and they stop the clock and extend the game ? Then people would kill him also. Like Arles said. If guys just made the plays they should make they win. That's not on the coach.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:52 PM   #324
SnowMan
High School Varsity

I don't really see the '13 and '14 drafts as bad for Seattle.

For the '13 draft: Jordan Hill, Luke Willson, Christine Michael, and Tharold Simon will and have had big roles for the team.

As far as the '14 draft, it's pretty early to really get a feel for guys, but Richardson was really coming on before his knee injury against the Panthers. Norwood is a question mark, but showed a few signs of life. Britt is the starting RT, and looked like a rookie, but I think he'll be solid for the future. Keven Pierre-Louis really flashed when Wagner and Smith were both hurt, and then he went down with an injury.

It seems like the goal for most drafts is to get a couple starters per year. Seems like they've done that. Seattle has been spoiled by finding guys like Wilson, Sherman, Kam, etc in the mid to late rounds, and now seem to expect those kinds of drafts every year.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:20 PM   #325
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMan View Post
I don't really see the '13 and '14 drafts as bad for Seattle.

For the '13 draft: Jordan Hill, Luke Willson, Christine Michael, and Tharold Simon will and have had big roles for the team.

As far as the '14 draft, it's pretty early to really get a feel for guys, but Richardson was really coming on before his knee injury against the Panthers. Norwood is a question mark, but showed a few signs of life. Britt is the starting RT, and looked like a rookie, but I think he'll be solid for the future. Keven Pierre-Louis really flashed when Wagner and Smith were both hurt, and then he went down with an injury.

It seems like the goal for most drafts is to get a couple starters per year. Seems like they've done that. Seattle has been spoiled by finding guys like Wilson, Sherman, Kam, etc in the mid to late rounds, and now seem to expect those kinds of drafts every year.

Big roles is stretching it for Michael (52 career carries) and Simon (10 games played in 2 years). Britt was one of the worst tackles in football this year (74th rated tackle by PFF) and Richardson and Norwood hadn't shown much of anything and probably wouldn't be getting snaps on a team with a good set of receivers. These aren't drafts that are going to sink them, but the strength of the team has been the depth. As the cap situation gets tighter they have to draft better than they have the past 2 years.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:25 PM   #326
Travis
Pro Rookie

The funny part is that they do tend to have a tougher time in the first 2 rounds, but mid/late/UDFA picks have worked out really well for them.

As for those two drafts, they've already provided really good depth and next year could see 3+ starters plus another 5+ key depth pieces. That's not even including any of the UDFA picked up over those two seasons. If that's their low point, I'll take it. Sherman has already said numerous times that Simon is ahead of where he was at this point in his career.

They're not afraid to develop guys over a few seasons just like they're not afraid to put them into a prominent role if they're ready. I'd imagine the goal for the most part is to make the roster good enough that rookies will get a year or two of second tier duty before becoming full time starters.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:36 PM   #327
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Anyone's draft will look bad when you pick so close to the bottom.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:08 PM   #328
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I could do without all the crotch grabs from Lynch - they're crude and immature.

But I fully support his right to not have to be a talking head for the league. More power to him, and I loved how Sherman & Baldwin skewered the PR and marketing policies of the league. Keep going with the one-work non-answers Beast Mode, keep pointing out how ridiculous that rule is. There are plenty of players that love to step in front of a mic - let those guys do all the talking.

Lynch's teammates LOVE him. He's one of the cornerstones of the locker room with his toughness and determination.

And hey, if he pisses off some grumpy white folks, so what?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:10 PM   #329
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I view it as part of the job.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:28 PM   #330
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

Technically it is. I don't think its too much to ask for a guy making millions to be civil to reporters who are just trying to do their jobs and answer a few questions. The reporters are trying to put out stories for the very fans who grant you your livelihood.

That being said Lynch seems like he may have a mental illness. If that's the case he should be diagnosed and not have to answer questions, otherwise you just come across as a dbag.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:38 PM   #331
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Technically it is. I don't think its too much to ask for a guy making millions to be civil to reporters who are just trying to do their jobs and answer a few questions. The reporters are trying to put out stories for the very fans who grant you your livelihood.

That being said Lynch seems like he may have a mental illness. If that's the case he should be diagnosed and not have to answer questions, otherwise you just come across as a dbag.

100% agree
Old 01-19-2015, 09:51 PM   #332
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
As I said, there are plenty of players that are happy enough to step in front of the mic. Forcing people to talk to the media when they have no interest in doing so is an example of the overbearingly controlling nature of the NFL.

Lynch is fulfilling the contractual obligation. But the NFL can't tell him what to say, so the result is what we're getting from Lynch. Local reporters long ago learned that he wasn't going to be a source of quotes and basically stopped bothering him, but out of town and national reporters apparently aren't willing to accept Lynch's right to say what he wants to.

I suppose one way of looking at it is that Lynch is being a jerk. Another way of looking at it is the reporters are being jerks.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:54 PM   #333
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I could do without all the crotch grabs from Lynch - they're crude and immature.

But I fully support his right to not have to be a talking head for the league. More power to him, and I loved how Sherman & Baldwin skewered the PR and marketing policies of the league. Keep going with the one-work non-answers Beast Mode, keep pointing out how ridiculous that rule is. There are plenty of players that love to step in front of a mic - let those guys do all the talking.

Lynch's teammates LOVE him. He's one of the cornerstones of the locker room with his toughness and determination.

And hey, if he pisses off some grumpy white folks, so what?

I always assumed he was doing it for entertainment, not because he hates white people.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:01 PM   #334
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I always assumed he was doing it for entertainment, not because he hates white people.
I don't think he gives a fuck who he offends. I'm just amused at where the backlash against him generally comes from.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:13 PM   #335
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I think Lynch is awesome. I wish the Bengals had a guy who gives the kind of effort Lynch does play to play.

I also am pretty certain that Seattle fans love his media persona or lack thereof. I think he gives more to the fans by being who he is than he would by doing some dumb ass interviews.

Also, he won't even let his own teammates interview him. There's a series of videos on youtube where FB Michael Robinson constantly messes with him because he won't talk. They're hilarious. I think its far from a mental illness, I think the guy just doesn't care for that stuff. He gets ribbed about it all the time, fined, it doesn't matter, he just doesn't want to talk.

I'd take 22 Marshawns in a second.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:25 PM   #336
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
I don't think he gives a fuck who he offends. I'm just amused at where the backlash against him generally comes from.

As long as we are all happy with the result, I'd call I a win-win.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:36 PM   #337
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
The funny part is that they do tend to have a tougher time in the first 2 rounds, but mid/late/UDFA picks have worked out really well for them.

As for those two drafts, they've already provided really good depth and next year could see 3+ starters plus another 5+ key depth pieces. That's not even including any of the UDFA picked up over those two seasons. If that's their low point, I'll take it. Sherman has already said numerous times that Simon is ahead of where he was at this point in his career.

They're not afraid to develop guys over a few seasons just like they're not afraid to put them into a prominent role if they're ready. I'd imagine the goal for the most part is to make the roster good enough that rookies will get a year or two of second tier duty before becoming full time starters.

Agree. Also, Cassius Marsh, the DL out of UCLA was a major rotation player before getting hurt early on. He could end up starting at some point.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:41 PM   #338
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I think drafting is more luck than most want to admit. Maybe the Seahawks are slightly better than other organizations at those later picks, and slightly smarter in chasing extra mid-round picks, but results like the 2010-2012 run of picks are unsustainable for any team. Even that strategy of accumulating extra mid-round picks is pretty much exactly out of the NE playbook, and we have seen NE go through multi-year stretches of "good" then "bad" drafting, then back to "good" the last xouple years. Plus the Hawks also made a pretty bad short-term gamble on Percy Harvin, and even if they did escape his huge cap hits they still gave up a 1 & a 3 to do it, plus a 7 while getting back a 6 or a 4. (I know it's not fair to cherry-pick draft picks, but that could've been DeAndre Hopkins/Travis Frederick and Jerick McKinnon/Bryan Stork).

Seahawks future success relies on 3 things
- Now that Wilson will be paid, does he make the leap to elite level, or stay at above-average starter level. The latter won't kill them, but Wilson making the leap to elite is the easiest way to ensure a 10 year run of success.
- The stars they give big money to (Thomas, Sherman, Wright, Chancellor, Avril, Bennett, Okung, Unger) continuing to play at a high level.
- Finding more underpaid stars in the draft. And it's not just about finding players that eventually can start, but about finding ones that can start early so you have those 2-3 guarantees below-market seasons. Golden Tate looks like a pretty great 60th pick, but he took 2 seasons before really contributing, so the Hawks didn't get much surplus value out of him.

It's not a secret formula, and they're set up as well as anyone going forward, but the idea that they'll definitely be the favorites for the next 3-5 years ignores common sense and the history of every NFL team in the salary cap era. Having an elite QB can at least put you in the playoff conversation every year, but no team can sustain a depth and talent advantage cross the board.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:31 AM   #339
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I think drafting is more luck than most want to admit. Maybe the Seahawks are slightly better than other organizations at those later picks, and slightly smarter in chasing extra mid-round picks, but results like the 2010-2012 run of picks are unsustainable for any team. Even that strategy of accumulating extra mid-round picks is pretty much exactly out of the NE playbook, and we have seen NE go through multi-year stretches of "good" then "bad" drafting, then back to "good" the last xouple years. Plus the Hawks also made a pretty bad short-term gamble on Percy Harvin, and even if they did escape his huge cap hits they still gave up a 1 & a 3 to do it, plus a 7 while getting back a 6 or a 4. (I know it's not fair to cherry-pick draft picks, but that could've been DeAndre Hopkins/Travis Frederick and Jerick McKinnon/Bryan Stork).

- Now that Wilson will be paid, does he make the leap to elite level, or stay at above-average starter level. The latter won't kill them, but Wilson making the leap to elite is the easiest way to ensure a 10 year run of success.
- The stars they give big money to (Thomas, Sherman, Wright, Chancellor, Avril, Bennett, Okung, Unger) continuing to play at a high level.
- Finding more underpaid stars in the draft. And it's not just about finding players that eventually can start, but about finding ones that can start early so you have those 2-3 guarantees below-market seasons. Golden Tate looks like a pretty great 60th pick, but he took 2 seasons before really contributing, so the Hawks didn't get much surplus value out of him.

It's not a secret formula, and they're set up as well as anyone going forward, but the idea that they'll definitely be the favorites for the next 3-5 years ignores common sense and the history of every NFL team in the salary cap era. Having an elite QB can at least put you in the playoff conversation every year, but no team can sustain a depth and talent advantage cross the board.

I think there's a large correlation between good coaching/scheme and 'good drafting.' Take the 49ers defense for example - they were a freaking MASH unit this year, and still managed to be one of the better defenses in the NFL. This is with guys off the street in the secondary and their top two MLB's out nearly all season.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:07 AM   #340
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
I think drafting is more luck than most want to admit.

At the NFL level, I agree. I think that if you were to replace the scouting departments of some NFL teams with groups of "knowledgeable fans" from each team, and go through ten years of drafting, the fans would get smoked. There is a ton of work and experience that goes into being able to scout every college player in the country competently.

But once every team is at that top scouting level [Matt Millen joke intentionally omitted], it pretty much becomes dice rolls and percentages.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 01-20-2015 at 08:08 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:10 AM   #341
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hate hate hate the Pats and this whole "deflate-gate" nonsense needs to die in a fire. Especially when it was made clear that the ball in question was never the property of the colts on offense.

Last edited by stevew : 01-20-2015 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:23 AM   #342
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I hate hate hate the Pats and this whole "deflate-gate" nonsense needs to die in a fire. Especially when it was made clear that the ball in question was never the property of the colts

Property of the Colts has nothing to do with it. It wasn't the Colts doing the deflating.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:27 AM   #343
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I suppose one way of looking at it is that Lynch is being a jerk. Another way of looking at it is the reporters are being jerks.

I hold you in pretty high regards as a sports fan, but this is a load of hogwash.

The reporters are being jerks for trying to do their jobs?

The NFL requires their players to talk to the media, I have no issue with that at all, they make plenty of money. Unless you are mentaly ill it shouldn't be that hard to act like a civil human being to someone just trying to make a living.

signed a middle aged white guy...
Old 01-20-2015, 08:01 AM   #344
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I think the key to drafting after all the scouting and game tape and system analysis is the interview process. You have to be intuitive enough about people and how they behave and how they are composed as a person to make the decision between hot shot kid who has rehearsed answers and hungry future star. I feel like when I listen to a player speak I learn more about their potential than anything else. Personality and work ethic seem to matter more for long term success than anything else.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:27 AM   #345
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
I hate hate hate the Pats and this whole "deflate-gate" nonsense needs to die in a fire. Especially when it was made clear that the ball in question was never the property of the colts on offense.

I'm not a Pats fan, but I think this is a bunch of boring crap too. If you believe this news report:
Indianapolis Colts interception led to question on whether New England Patriots deflated balls - ESPN Boston

Quote:
According to the Newsday report, Colts general manager Ryan Grigson was alerted about the ball in the Gillette Stadium press box. Grigson contacted NFL director of football operations Mike Kensil, who then told game officials during halftime.

New England, up 17-7 at that point, went on to win 45-7.

Then after the refs were told to ensure the balls were fine, the Pats out-scored the Colts 28-0. Maybe they should have let them use the deflated balls.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:34 AM   #346
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Much needed dose of reality here - been meaning to type up something like this, so thanks for taking the time.

Honestly I know everyone is a homer-fan, but we like to think that we're all somewhat sophisticated fans, we should be better than the unwashed masses.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:41 AM   #347
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Except for those automatically jumping in to defend any player on "their" team as if being a PR flak is more important than being sophisticated and less biased. I think fantasy football has done a lot to help that.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:12 AM   #348
bhlloy
Coordinator

I do find it interesting that in another thread (which I didn't want to derail) that Gregg Popovich is "classic" for being a raging dick to reporters trying to do their job
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:28 AM   #349
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I do find it interesting that in another thread (which I didn't want to derail) that Gregg Popovich is "classic" for being a raging dick to reporters trying to do their job

I don't know anything about that comment but Pop in my mind got a lot of good will for what he said about Craig Sager (sp?)
Old 01-20-2015, 10:35 AM   #350
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy

I don't think this is an accurate description. It's occasionally accurate but usually I would describe what he does as sarcasm/obfuscation to avoid giving out useful information. Maybe our bars on what 'being a raging dick' are different. I certainly don't think coaches are or should be required to directly answer all questions the media poses.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote