Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone else iGoogle?

I've used Google as my home page, since even before iGoogle was available. Now that Google announced a few weeks back that they will kill iGoogle late next year, I'm wondering what I'll do to replace it.

I'm assuming that Google has something to do just that, but maybe I'm wrong. I like having my email, local weather, and personalized sports and news feeds right on my home page, along with a Google search block right there on top. I can't believe they'd just let all of us users walk away to setup myYahoo pages...Are there that few of us?

So, am I missing something? Is there a Google product already released or looming to take over as my preferred home page? Or is the answer somewhere else outside of Google?

Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
mckerney
Coordinator

Haven't checked it out myself but I've read that Netvibees free basic service is a good alternative.

Another option would be to see if there are Chrome extensions you could use to do something similar, which is probably what Google is hoping people will go to as an alternative.

Last edited by mckerney : 07-27-2012 at 01:44 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
QuikSand
lolzcat

I will follow this thread, as I have been using the same two-tab home page setting for a few years, and have yet to find anything I like better:

Netvibes – Social Media Monitoring, Analytics and Alerts Dashboard
Reference, Facts, News - Free and Family-friendly Resources - Refdesk.com

Netvibes doesn't seem to be the industry leader in anything in particular, but it works well enough as an RSS aggregator and has apps to show things like local weather, my email inboxes, my custom to-do lists and notepads, investment information, and other junk that I like to see reasonably often.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
I've used Google as my home page, since even before iGoogle was available. Now that Google announced a few weeks back that they will kill iGoogle late next year, I'm wondering what I'll do to replace it.

I'm assuming that Google has something to do just that, but maybe I'm wrong. I like having my email, local weather, and personalized sports and news feeds right on my home page, along with a Google search block right there on top. I can't believe they'd just let all of us users walk away to setup myYahoo pages...Are there that few of us?

So, am I missing something? Is there a Google product already released or looming to take over as my preferred home page? Or is the answer somewhere else outside of Google?

G+ should have been iGoogle 2.0 and still might be, but it feels like it's not being fully integrated until it's too late.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I'm with you on this. iGoogle isn't perfect, but it's a pretty darn good start.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I don't know if it has everything Google does but I've used My Yahoo forever

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I don't know if it has everything Google does but I've used My Yahoo forever

SI
Yeah , but that's yahoo. That's just one step up from AOL

I'm looking at netvibes, and that looks like it might be a serviceable replacement
Old 07-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think i use AOL as my home page now, not even sure. Chrome browser is pretty sweet, it gives you quick access to your 8 most visited pages.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #9
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Been using my yahoo since the 90's. Tried iGoogle briefly as a replacement when it first came out, it didn't stack up.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:13 AM   #10
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

I just use news.google.com - login there, and you have pretty much everything you mentioned. I imagine that's what the developers are figuring.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:42 AM   #11
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead Spock View Post
I just use news.google.com - login there, and you have pretty much everything you mentioned. I imagine that's what the developers are figuring.

This is the leading candidate so far.

I might have to dig into Google+ a little as well.

Netvibes seems to have potential for me, but I don't like the way the content is delivered/presented. Perhaps I'm just selecting the wrong widgets as sources. By presented...I click on an entry, and I'm presented with a new page with a one sentence lead in...that I have to again click to take me to yet another page where I can read the rest of the story. Yes I know, two clicks and a presentation of my news that is unfamiliar. A true first world problem.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #12
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

following along here as well.
iGoogle seemed like the one thing google has done other than a search engine that I really like, yet they are killing it off. Guess it just goes to show Im not the typical target market, shrug.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #13
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
This is the leading candidate so far.

I might have to dig into Google+ a little as well.

Netvibes seems to have potential for me, but I don't like the way the content is delivered/presented. Perhaps I'm just selecting the wrong widgets as sources. By presented...I click on an entry, and I'm presented with a new page with a one sentence lead in...that I have to again click to take me to yet another page where I can read the rest of the story. Yes I know, two clicks and a presentation of my news that is unfamiliar. A true first world problem.

Okay, as a Netvibes partisan... There's an option in each widget/feed to "open directly on site." Check that, and you get what you seem to want - click the headline and get taken right to the source. Should be a default setting, IMO, but it does work well for me with that adjustment.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I've been using MyWay.com as my home page for years. Customizable, no ads. It's a beautiful thing.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #15
QuikSand
lolzcat

Another contender that seems worth a look (maybe depending on your personal needs and preferences):

CEOExpress: Business portal for executives created by a busy executive
Old 08-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #16
Comey
College Starter

I just looked up iGoogle. It said it won't be available after November 1, 2013. Are they getting rid of other things before then?

As far as the rest of this stuff goes...as someone who recently got into Snip.It, I'm very interested in this thread. I'm going to look at MyWay and Netvibes.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #17
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I have used my.yahoo.com for years. Tried igoogle a while ago and couldn't get it the way I wanted it. my.yahoo and fantasy sports are just about the only things I use Yahoo for.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #18
AgustusM
College Prospect

I tried all of these before stumbling on this

Myfav.es - Start Here

haven't looked back since

also Twitter has a lot to do with this as well, as the site I go to to see what is happening in the world.

Last edited by AgustusM : 08-14-2012 at 05:31 PM.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #19
bryce
High School Varsity

I just stumbled upon ighome.com as a replacement to igoogle, FYI. Apparently it was set up to mimic igoogle, and you can tell. Took me about 15 minutes to replicate igoogle. Only downside is an ad at the bottom of the screen so it's a big slower than igoogle. But all in all I'm pleased I found an alternative.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #20
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
I just stumbled upon ighome.com as a replacement to igoogle, FYI. Apparently it was set up to mimic igoogle, and you can tell. Took me about 15 minutes to replicate igoogle. Only downside is an ad at the bottom of the screen so it's a big slower than igoogle. But all in all I'm pleased I found an alternative.

This is the best fit to date! Thanks Bryce.

I already feel at home with ighome.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #21
Bobble
College Prospect

So it's getting down to the wire and I haven't chosen igoogle's successor for myself. Who is the consensus best replacement?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #22
Bobble
College Prospect

Answer me!!!

I've gone through ighome.com and set up everything like I had it in igoogle. That seems a very good option if you just want to continue on with essentially the same old igoogle clone.

I've also played around with netvibes somewhat. Seems like it might be more ... um, advanced?... kind of dashboard. By that I mean that it seems like netvibes might continuously improve while ighome would stay stagnant.

Anyway, my $.02 for anyone else lamenting igoogle's demise.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #23
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
So it's getting down to the wire and I haven't chosen igoogle's successor for myself. Who is the consensus best replacement?

I switched to news.google.com. It's not customizable, but it gets me what I got from iGoogle.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #24
digamma
Torchbearer

ighome seems to get me what i need, at least for the immediate future.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #25
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Well, after previewing the new MyYahoo, I'm not sure I'd recommend that anymore.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote