Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Weekday League (FOWL)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-17-2009, 06:33 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Several illegal offers by DET

2-year offers to at least five players in years 3-5.

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:34 AM   #2
Ben E Lou

I'm removing this export per the rules, but I'm thinking that starting next year, I can release the players and let people suffer cap hits. Thoughts?
Old 09-17-2009, 06:46 AM   #3
Disturbed
Mascot

I don't see any issue with that.

I don't know if you would want to keep a record of it but maybe set it up to where a owner gets 1 strike where you don't release their guys and then if they do it a second time or more the players get released.
Disturbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:46 AM   #4
Yoda
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I'm removing this export per the rules, but I'm thinking that starting next year, I can release the players and let people suffer cap hits. Thoughts?

I donno, granted I just joined the league, but given the types of signing bonuses that seem to be handed out in this league, that could kill a team for 2 seasons, right?
FFL 2013 2014 2015
RNFL 2014 2029
GMFL 2009
HFL 1983 1987 1990
TFL 1983
vNFL 2024
GML 2011
WOOF 2018
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:50 AM   #5
Sef0r
n00b

I say drop the export. Newbies joining will be turned off when they don't have money to play with.
Sef0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:00 AM   #6
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I donno, granted I just joined the league, but given the types of signing bonuses that seem to be handed out in this league, that could kill a team for 2 seasons, right?

How often are these big money deals? Aren't they generally someone forgetting when offering to their former scrub players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:08 AM   #7
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

im sure every illegal offer was borderline minsal.

my mistake obviously.... i think a lot of this had to do with recreating a ton of offers from the my 'too late' export from the day before.

this offseason is off to a fuckin flying start.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:46 AM   #8
QuikSand
lolzcat

I agree with the above that skipping a stage (in a league where we only have a few) is probably punishment enough. But I'm a repeat offender, so take that for what it's worth.

Also, consider that with as few stages as we do have, allowing an illegal export to result in a signing and then release may have an unintended effect of mucking up the timing for another team interested in that player. Just excluding the export is the simplest way to avoid that, I'd think.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:55 AM   #9
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
How often are these big money deals? Aren't they generally someone forgetting when offering to their former scrub players?
If you combine the illegal offers I've had to remove exports for in this league, WOOF, and IHOF, I'd be willing to wager that over 90% have been the only offer given to said player, whether the owner's own scrub, or some other scrub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
im sure every illegal offer was borderline minsal.
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I agree with the above that skipping a stage (in a league where we only have a few) is probably punishment enough. But I'm a repeat offender, so take that for what it's worth.

Also, consider that with as few stages as we do have, allowing an illegal export to result in a signing and then release may have an unintended effect of mucking up the timing for another team interested in that player. Just excluding the export is the simplest way to avoid that, I'd think.
I would agree with this (especially the bolded part) wholeheartedly if it were commonplace for the illegal offers to be on guys with multiple offers. But as I mentioned above, in almost every case, that's not what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda
See above. These aren't the guys getting these offers.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:59 AM   #10
QuikSand
lolzcat

I guess I'd frame my response differently, then. Would allowing the exports and releasing the players save you meaningful administrative burden? If so, then that's the best reason to do this.

I don't think the added punishment is worth it. I don't believe anyone does this on purpose, as we all know it will get caught 100% of the time, so all that's happening is carelessness. Ramping up penalties for a crime that never succeeds doesn't sound wise to me.

If this is a real help to the simmer, I'm probably okay with it. If the goal is to improve compliance, I think it's pointless and potentially harmful, and I'm against it.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:23 AM   #11
Subby
lolzcat

I vote for just removing the export.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:29 AM   #12
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I guess I'd frame my response differently, then. Would allowing the exports and releasing the players save you meaningful administrative burden? If so, then that's the best reason to do this.

I don't think the added punishment is worth it. I don't believe anyone does this on purpose, as we all know it will get caught 100% of the time, so all that's happening is carelessness. Ramping up penalties for a crime that never succeeds doesn't sound wise to me.

If this is a real help to the simmer, I'm probably okay with it. If the goal is to improve compliance, I think it's pointless and potentially harmful, and I'm against it.

I agree with Quik's statement here.

I don't feel anyone is doing illegal exports on purpose in this league. I don't see a need for increased punishment for the sake of punishment. Removing the export penalizes the party that made the mistake and only them. Allowing the export to go through and then cutting the players penalizes others that might have bid on that player. I understand that the norm is these illegal bids are usually on players that no one else bid on, but I am sure that is not 100% of the time true.

If this is an issue of making Ben's life easier when we have to go through this process every other week in a fast sim league, then that is a different story and one I'll defer to you on if it is going to save you that much time/ease.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #13
Tasan
College Starter

I'm going to agree with Quik on this one. Kicking out the file is enough, nobody in this league is trying to pull anything (I think). Missing a stage here is bad enough.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #14
TheMeat
n00b

Well, I think Ben's point is that releasing these scrubs is LESS of a punishment than removing their whole export. Correct me if I'm wrong Ben but you're saying that since these 2 yr deals are just on scrubs, it seems harsh to remove an entire export, which could really kill a teams offseason momentum and potentially cause too much grief, especially for new owners.

I would agree with Quik's original point that releasing players that had multiple offers would screw with everyone's timing but if these are almost always sub-par losers anyways then I think it makes sense to just release them.

I would rather err on the side of Ben's judgement. He would be the expert on these matters.
Owner/GM of the soon to be awesome Fort Worth Fury of the IHOF

TheMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:41 PM   #15
Ben E Lou

Yeah..my concern here is more for the frustration factor of making a tiny mistake on an insignificant player and it causing you to miss out completely on a critical stage.

But at the same time, I do see Quik's point. Maybe it should be case-by-case: screw up on some scrubs, I just release them. Screw up on good players, and lose your export.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #16
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Yeah..my concern here is more for the frustration factor of making a tiny mistake on an insignificant player and it causing you to miss out completely on a critical stage.

But at the same time, I do see Quik's point. Maybe it should be case-by-case: screw up on some scrubs, I just release them. Screw up on good players, and lose your export.

Perhaps instead of adding in grey area of what defines a good player vs scrubs, just leave it as: You place an illegal contract on a player that other teams also placed offers for, the export is deleted. If you are the only team offering a contract for that player, the player is just released.

The only issue there is you start getting into adding administration overhead that I wanted to avoid in my first thoughts. Sometimes just keeping things simple is the best approach too.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:36 PM   #17
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Perhaps instead of adding in grey area of what defines a good player vs scrubs, just leave it as: You place an illegal contract on a player that other teams also placed offers for, the export is deleted. If you are the only team offering a contract for that player, the player is just released.

The only issue there is you start getting into adding administration overhead that I wanted to avoid in my first thoughts. Sometimes just keeping things simple is the best approach too.

This makes a good amount of sense, and I would imagine code could be written to pick this up? (if there is a rejected offer, etc).
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:25 AM   #18
Bako
H.S. Freshman Team

I'm a noob around here, but I'll weigh in here.

I agree with Quick and Alan T here. I doubt this would be done on purpose and this accident could prove very costly for the GM depending on the stage.

If it is easy for that particular offer to be removed, I'd be all for that.

Last edited by Bako : 09-18-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Bako is offline   Reply With Quote