Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-07-2019, 10:50 PM   #651
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I've heard of having games go south but that 2nd half for Wisconsin was like they moved it to Key West
Old 12-07-2019, 11:01 PM   #652
Butter
Coordinator

OSU- Oklahoma in Atlanta and LSU- Clemson in Phoenix? Or no?
Old 12-07-2019, 11:05 PM   #653
bronconick
College Starter

I think if LSU is #1, they get to "pick" first and would probably take the Peach.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:10 PM   #654
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
I think if LSU is #1, they get to "pick" first and would probably take the Peach.

Yeah I don’t see how at least LSU doesn’t jump OSU to #1 and am wondering if Clemson moves to #2. Is there any advantage for the team ranked second over the #3 for the next game?

Last edited by Galaril : 12-07-2019 at 11:10 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:12 PM   #655
Butter
Coordinator

I think whichever team is #1 will get the Peach Bowl.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:36 PM   #656
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The official wording (as far as I can tell)

Quote:
When assigning teams to sites, the committee will place the top two seeds at the most advantageous sites, weighing criteria such as convenience of travel for its fans, home‐crowd advantage or disadvantage and general familiarity with the host city and its stadium. Preference will go to the No. 1 seed.

Both LSU and Ohio State would be at a greater advantage (i.e. more convenient) in Atlanta so the Peach Bowl likely gets the 1/4 game.

Georgia as a #4 would probably have sent the 1/4 to Fiesta (to avoid having a #1 at a disadvantage)
Old 12-08-2019, 07:31 AM   #657
tarcone
Coordinator

OSU is the #1. They bet more ranked teams by a bigger margin that had a better win %.

Because your opponent in the champ game rolls over should not penalize the other team ranked ahead of you.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:55 AM   #658
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I like it when an outsider crashes the party, so I was hoping for some chaos that got Baylor or Utah into the playoff. Not to be.

I'm finding it hard to get too worked up over who is #1.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:16 AM   #659
Butter
Coordinator

I want OSU to be #1, because as a Clemson fan I would much rather play them before the New Orleans title game.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:17 AM   #660
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Can you imagine how crazy it would be with the old one game system? Which one of OSU/LSU/Clemson would be left out?
Old 12-08-2019, 08:30 AM   #661
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Can you imagine how crazy it would be with the old one game system? Which one of OSU/LSU/Clemson would be left out?

It would be Clemson and by a large margin IMO. Their schedule was a total joke.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:09 AM   #662
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
It would be Clemson and by a large margin IMO. Their schedule was a total joke.

Agreed. Largely no fault of their own. A&M and South Carolina are solid programs for an out of conference, but had mediocre seasons.

I was looking over the ACC standings. I think there is a fair chance that Clemson may be the only ranked team when the rankings come out (but I can see their coaches overvoting someone in. And, remarkably to me, Clemson was the only team to have winning record in road games. That seems crazy in a 14 team conference.

I think this is one of the few times the playoff will actually be justified because Clemson did everything right but probably would have been screwed by unlucky seasons from their OOC opponents and a historically bad power 5 conference season, despite having one of the most loaded teams and an undefeated season.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:22 AM   #663
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I agree it would be Clemson left out. I am so glad we have this playoff system in place now.

BTW, I'm also glad we have replays in place now in college and pro. I know there was concern about it slowing down the game etc. but the benefits much outweigh the cons IMO.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:23 AM   #664
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That's easy: Clemson
Old 12-08-2019, 01:13 PM   #665
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Opening lines are LSU -10 vs Oklahoma in the Peach and Clemson -2 vs Ohio State in the Fiesta.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:54 PM   #666
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Clemson v Ohio St should be one hell of a game.

Maybe Oklahoma will hang for a bit with LSU but my gut says LSU easily wins when all is said and done.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:10 PM   #667
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Utah is the better team anyway. If Huntley and Moss stay healthy until the P12 Championship game they will beat the Ducks.
Yeesh, this didn't age well. Credit where credit is due, Oregon's OL lived up to the hype. I sure didn't expect Utah to crap the bed, but I wonder if all the CFP talk got them a bit complacent and revved-up the Ducks.

Larry Scott better be hitting the phones hard to lobby for an 8-team playoff. If there's going to be a playoff system, expanding it is probably the best way to address a lot of these scheduling concerns, and it's the only way the Pac-12 is going to keep from getting excluded on a regular basis.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:42 PM   #668
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sam Pittman (Georgia OL coach) to Arkansas as new HC. That's a return to Arky for him.

CBS reporting that Missouri will now hire Eli Drinkwitz from Appy State.
(lol, cause Wiki already has him accepting the job)
Old 12-08-2019, 06:48 PM   #669
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Interesting hire.. at least Appy State was ranked.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:23 PM   #670
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Risky hire. Drik was there one season, with Satterfields players and system.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:50 PM   #671
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Sam Pittman (Georgia OL coach) to Arkansas as new HC. That's a return to Arky for him.

I have no idea how this will turn out. Getting a coach with no HC experience is risky but him being in a top tier winning program ...

Ready to move on and see what happens.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:46 PM   #672
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
It was up the thread some IIRC, seemed like a fait accompli so it hasn't been mentioned here since becoming official.

But, yes, it is now official.

Coming off probation, what could POSSIBLY go wrong with that choice?

On the bright side, now I no longer have to concern myself with the program aside from hoping they lose everything they ever participate in. I hold testicular cancer in higher regard than that miserable bastard.

Wonder what the odds are of FAU and Ole Miss completing the Head Coach for OC trade. Rich is the type of guy I could see FAU going after.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:54 PM   #673
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I have no idea how this will turn out. Getting a coach with no HC experience is risky but him being in a top tier winning program ...

Ready to move on and see what happens.

There's a too-easy joke in here somewhere, about how he was an HC at a community college (27 years ago) ... but I won't swing at that hanging curve
Old 12-08-2019, 08:55 PM   #674
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Wonder what the odds are of FAU and Ole Miss completing the Head Coach for OC trade. Rich is the type of guy I could see FAU going after.

I misread this post at first, and thought about Matt Luke heading to Boca Raton
Old 12-08-2019, 09:43 PM   #675
Edward64
Head Coach

LSU #1

A little surprised that GA is at #5, would have thought they would drop more after that shellacking
Old 12-09-2019, 10:12 AM   #676
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Is it though?
Since the playoff was introduced Bama, Clemson and Ohio State are the 3 most frequent members. All 3 have schedule marquee out of conference games with my Tigers I'd argue doing it more than any...
Here are the nonconference opponents for Bama in the last 4 years. There have been 12 home games and 4 neutral:
Home -
New Mexico State (H)
Western Carolina (H)
So Miss (H)
Arkansas St (H)
Lousiana (H)
The Citadel (H)
Fresno St (H)
4-8 Colorado St (H)
Mercer (H)
Western Ky (H)
Kent St (H)
Chattanooga (H)

Neutral -
5-7 Duke (N)
2-10 Louisville (N)
6-6 Florida St (N)
9-3 USC (N)

That's basically 13 patsies, 2 average nonconf team (6-6 FSU, Fresno St) and 1 good team (USC back in 2016). In most seasons, Alabama plays 4 road games (all conf) and 3-4 nonconf patsies. I think teams in the SEC could give up a game against the Citadel or Chattanooga to get a 9th conference game (and potentially have 5 road games - the horror!!).

Last edited by Arles : 12-09-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:21 AM   #677
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Larry Scott better be hitting the phones hard to lobby for an 8-team playoff. If there's going to be a playoff system, expanding it is probably the best way to address a lot of these scheduling concerns, and it's the only way the Pac-12 is going to keep from getting excluded on a regular basis.
Honestly, I think the Pac-12 has to look at copying the SEC and just doing 8 conf games. Having that 9th conf game (and 5th road game half the time) really hurts their chances of going undefeated in the conference. IMO, all power 5 conferences have 9 conf games or none do.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #678
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
(and potentially have 5 road games - the horror!!).

Exactly what sort of idiot would want that for their favored program?

Certainly not the communities that would lose 12.5% of their current gameday revenue.

Hell, it's starting to become less than unusual to see high school teams buying home games in Georgia. (not common, but happens enough that it's no longer befuddling)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-09-2019 at 10:37 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:53 PM   #679
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think teams in the SEC could give up a game against the Citadel or Chattanooga to get a 9th conference game (and potentially have 5 road games - the horror!!).

But can Citadel or Chattanooga survive without the payday?
Its trickle down economics at work. Clemson paid Wofford $850k for their game this year. Wofford's annual football budget? $1.1M
Just as an example.

And btw I know of a few business owners who will tell you 1 home game is the difference between black and red on the P/L...

There is way more to it that which team is ranked where. These are people, many not even football fans, livelihoods at stake in small town America.

Thats why you see southern school defending the 7 game institution, and places in metro areas or with relatively minor attendance not caring.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:55 PM   #680
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

BTW...the 1 coach I (personally) didnt want lose more than any other for Clemson is leaving.

If anyone is itching for inside USF news next year Im your guy...
Old 12-09-2019, 01:05 PM   #681
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

These are some terrible hires.

At least with Drinkwitz, his team literally beat an SEC East school this year. But other than that, I'm not sure why you would want either of these guys to lead an SEC program.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:14 PM   #682
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
These are some terrible hires.

At least with Drinkwitz, his team literally beat an SEC East school this year. But other than that, I'm not sure why you would want either of these guys to lead an SEC program.

I mean, Pittman is highly regarded as a recruiter and as an OL coach (though I'd be inclined to consider the possibility he's better as the former than the latter) so I guess that's SOMETHING.

But turning over an SEC program to a guy who hasn't been an HC in 27 years (and then at a community college) certainly seems like one helluva leap.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #683
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I mean, Pittman is highly regarded as a recruiter and as an OL coach (though I'd be inclined to consider the possibility he's better as the former than the latter) so I guess that's SOMETHING.

But turning over an SEC program to a guy who hasn't been an HC in 27 years (and then at a community college) certainly seems like one helluva leap.

Thanks for the reassuring words, appreciate the confidence building.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:13 PM   #684
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
But can Citadel or Chattanooga survive without the payday?
Its trickle down economics at work. Clemson paid Wofford $850k for their game this year. Wofford's annual football budget? $1.1M
Just as an example.

And btw I know of a few business owners who will tell you 1 home game is the difference between black and red on the P/L...
There would still be 42 non-conference opportunities in the SEC for a Wofford or Citadel (not to mention the ACC). I think they would find someone. Cutting out 14 games in the SEC isn't going to kill the small programs.

As to the "need 8-9 home games to make money" argument, the Big 10, Pac 12 and Big 12 all have found a way to make money with 9 conference games. Half the time the 9th game is a home game (and usually a more profitable one than Chattanooga).

Quote:
There is way more to it that which team is ranked where. These are people, many not even football fans, livelihoods at stake in small town America.

That's why you see southern school defending the 7 game institution, and places in metro areas or with relatively minor attendance not caring.
My point is we now have a common playoff where all conferences should try to be on as similar a playing field as possible. If 3 of the 5 top conferences have to play a 9th conf game (on the road every other year), then the other two should as well. Otherwise, all conferences should just play 8. Imagine if Penn State didn't have to play their 9th conference game (road game @ Minn) and would have been 10-1 after the final weekend. Or a team like USC didn't have to play @ Washington? Perhaps the 9th game on the Big 12 schedule was Baylor-OK and that game wouldn't happen until the title game? Maybe both teams get in then.

Last edited by Arles : 12-09-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:33 PM   #685
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
(and usually a more profitable one than Chattanooga).

Highly unlikely, considering that those games routinely outdraw the Pac 12 for conference games.

Hell, South Carolina vs Charleston Southern drew 2x as many people as the Pac12 title game. 50% more than the average Pac 12 game period.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:51 PM   #686
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

When the bottom fell out for UNC Men's basketball in the early 2000s, a lot of businesses in Chapel Hill felt it hard. The local bar/restaurant economy was built on a certain level of engagement by the fans (i.e. going out to watch the games at bars). Even just a couple of years where that didn't happen had a tangible effect.

If the SEC schools lost home games, the local economies would adjust, but there would be a pretty painful period of adjustment.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:57 PM   #687
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
If the SEC schools lost home games, the local economies would adjust, but there would be a pretty painful period of adjustment.

And there's only so much "adjustment" that can be made up for.

An example of how extreme the trickle down effect can be. My son's Scout troop had control of an apartment complex parking lot on game days (generously donated by the owner). The difference in the budget for the troop was noticeable in years with one less home game. You don't just make up an extra five figure income day when you're a non-profit.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #688
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Highly unlikely, considering that those games routinely outdraw the Pac 12 for conference games.

Hell, South Carolina vs Charleston Southern drew 2x as many people as the Pac12 title game. 50% more than the average Pac 12 game period.
What I meant is Georgia switching Chattanooga for a home game against an SEC West opponent would probably generate more revenue for the area. Remember, they would just lose a home game every other year. Plus, they could always plan their road nonconference games (if they ever schedule one) for the years when they have 4 conf road games. The years that they have 5, they can keep their other 3 non-conference games as home games. The impact would be minimal in that they could plan for the 5 road game years and would probably make more money on the 5 home game conf years.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:21 PM   #689
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
My point is we now have a common playoff where all conferences should try to be on as similar a playing field as possible. If 3 of the 5 top conferences have to play a 9th conf game (on the road every other year), then the other two should as well. Otherwise, all conferences should just play 8. Imagine if Penn State didn't have to play their 9th conference game (road game @ Minn) and would have been 10-1 after the final weekend. Or a team like USC didn't have to play @ Washington? Perhaps the 9th game on the Big 12 schedule was Baylor-OK and that game wouldn't happen until the title game? Maybe both teams get in then.
This is all true, but the answer is going to be the other P5 conferences dropping down to 8 conference games because there isn't enough leverage to force the SEC up to 9 conference games.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:06 PM   #690
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What I meant is Georgia switching Chattanooga for a home game against an SEC West opponent would probably generate more revenue for the area. Remember, they would just lose a home game every other year.

The difference in actual attendance is perhaps surprisingly minimal, less than 10% variance regardless of opponent generally (unless you get a horrible weather day kinda thing). Tickets sold are, of course consistent but there is a butts-in-seats difference. That's why there's been discussion of upgrading the schedule a bit, just to wring another 5,000-10,000 into the seats for concessions, merch, etc.

Now there is a more noticeable difference in the game day non-attending crowds. You have to remember / understand that downtown Athens draws an absurdly higher number of people than actually have tickets/are tickets available. Easily half again the stadium capacity on the normal. Estimates for the super-size games (like the Notre Dame visit) are that it was 2:1.

But aside from Auburn & Alabama, nobody in the SEC West draws that sort of madness.

The reality is that they (like some others) could draw 60k-70k if they played a high school team.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:36 PM   #691
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The reality is that they (like some others) could draw 60k-70k if they played a high school team.

Now Tech on the other hand ... playing high school teams might not help much. They still couldn't draw AND still couldn't reach the post-season lol
Old 12-10-2019, 09:55 AM   #692
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yeah, I think the solution is for the Pac 12 to drop to 8 conference games. There's no point in playing 9 and they could schedule one tough neutral-style game and 3 patsies. Trading in a road game at Washington, ASU or USC for a patsy home game vs Portland St is the way to get them relevant again. Plus, if you have 0-1 losses in a power 5, your strength of schedule really doesn't matter. Clemson played home games against A&M, Charlotte and Wofford, with their yearly South Carolina matchup (4-8) as #4. Their schedule didn't have one ranked opponent and beating the #24 team in the conf tourney was enough to get the the #3 seed. If I were the Pac 12, I would schedule the most powder puff lineup possible for the top 3-4 teams and get them all to 0-1 loss for most of the year.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:58 PM   #693
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

So, with all due respect to UNLV fans here, what in the world is the attraction to that job for Dave Aranda?
Old 12-10-2019, 06:29 PM   #694
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
So, with all due respect to UNLV fans here, what in the world is the attraction to that job for Dave Aranda?

Facilities have gotten massive upgrades due to the boosters who wanted Sanchez hired putting up the money. There's also the new stadium coming next year or year after, I forget which.

There's a couple of local schools that are rich in talent (like Bishop Gorman).

The potential is there - it just needs the right coach to take advantage.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:30 PM   #695
Izulde
Head Coach

Also, Aranda is a SoCal native and Vegas is in driving distance of there.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:54 PM   #696
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Matt Luke to UGA as OL Coach
Old 12-10-2019, 07:07 PM   #697
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, I think the solution is for the Pac 12 to drop to 8 conference games. There's no point in playing 9 and they could schedule one tough neutral-style game and 3 patsies. Trading in a road game at Washington, ASU or USC for a patsy home game vs Portland St is the way to get them relevant again. Plus, if you have 0-1 losses in a power 5, your strength of schedule really doesn't matter. Clemson played home games against A&M, Charlotte and Wofford, with their yearly South Carolina matchup (4-8) as #4. Their schedule didn't have one ranked opponent and beating the #24 team in the conf tourney was enough to get the the #3 seed.

When the Clemson / A&M series was scheduled back in 2014, Oregon was ranked #2 while Clemson was still a mid-teens program.

The move was initiated by A&M because "the home-and-home sequence was no longer compatible for the Aggies". Some fans at the time were a bit miffed that a contender was being replaced by an middling also-ran like Clemson

In 2018 the Ducks filled out their non-conference games with powerhouses Bowling Green, Portland State, and San Jose State ... only to lose four times afterwards.

Oregon replacement for their 2019 schedule? Auburn
#Oops

That's the thing about playing 8 and scheduling light: you still have to win the games you do play.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:19 PM   #698
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Facilities have gotten massive upgrades due to the boosters who wanted Sanchez hired putting up the money. There's also the new stadium coming next year or year after, I forget which.

There's a couple of local schools that are rich in talent (like Bishop Gorman).

The potential is there - it just needs the right coach to take advantage.
Sure, but UNLV is still well down the pecking order in the MWC. I have a really hard time believing this is the best job he's been offered in his career (or would get offered in the near future).

I read that he's really interested in a challenge, and I guess that's as good a reason as any why he'd express serious interest in this one. It's not a terrible job, but I would have to imagine he could certainly land at other situations that are better set up for success.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:15 AM   #699
Izulde
Head Coach

Welp, he turned it down anyway.

Not really surprising. Right now, like you said, it's way down the order, even though the potential is there that I think most people don't realize. Problem is, it's been so bad for so long since the Randall Cunningham years that people just look at that, rather than what it has the possibility of being with the upgrades, new stadium, and local talent pool.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #700
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Welp, he turned it down anyway.

Not really surprising. Right now, like you said, it's way down the order, even though the potential is there that I think most people don't realize. Problem is, it's been so bad for so long since the Randall Cunningham years that people just look at that, rather than what it has the possibility of being with the upgrades, new stadium, and local talent pool.

With the rumors of them playing in the new Raider stadium and some of the facilities initiatives...and the strip and all its pomp and circumstane....UNLV is set up for a run of bad boy era Canes...

Aranda is going to have to find somewhere else to go I suspect. That he turned it down suggests there may be a bigger name on line 2.