Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-06-2007, 01:51 PM   #151
Galaril
Pro Starter

How manny RBis and HRs has AROD had in the playoffs might be more telling?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:56 PM   #152
Desmond
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I remember Manny having some horrible playoff series with the Indians (wasn't he hitless in the entire '99 5-game ALDS against Boston?). He's been much better with Boston. A-Rod's struggles have been more recent (though overrated).

Edit: I added up Manny's playoff stats with the Sox:

.312 Avg, 8 HRs, 25 RBIs in 125 ABs.

So that's why Manny doesn't get shit.

The ring he's got is also a nice factor.
Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 02:31 PM   #153
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm heading to Denver for Game 3. We'll see how this goes....
Old 10-06-2007, 02:38 PM   #154
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
How manny RBis and HRs has AROD had in the playoffs might be more telling?

6 HR and 16 RBI in 37 games

Funny thing is, he crushes balls in the LCS. His horrific numbers are almost all LDS related. 23 career games in the LDS he's hit .238, .319 OBP and only 2 HR.

14 games of the LCS, he's hit .315, .413 OBP and .611 SLG.

I'm not an ARod fan, but he still takes to much crap over this. The Yankees have just faced two Cy Young calibur pitchers. As a team, they have had 8 hits in 20 innings of play. (and 8 more baserunners via the walk) They've struck out 17 times. Only one Yankee player has 2 hits in this series. (Abreu, whose second hit was an infield single fielded poorly by the SS)

1/3 of the lineup hasn't gotten a single hit. (ARod, Posada, Matsui) 2 of the 4 NY runs in the series are off of mistake pitches to guys the Indians didn't really fear hitting it out on them. Cano hit a bomb. But ARod is taking the crap for this? (I've read some of the articles from the NY papers today. Simply ridiculous)

Keep in mind here, I understand that ARod is going to get criticism because of his contract and his history with NY in the postseason. I just think at times it gets to a ridiculous level. I hope sometime down the line he has a big postseason and shuts a lot of people up. I just hope it isn't with the Yankees.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:15 PM   #155
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
I hope sometime down the line he has a big postseason and shuts a lot of people up. I just hope it isn't with the Yankees.

ditto, i hope he has a monster postseason against the Yankees
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 05:39 PM   #156
Galaril
Pro Starter

Yeah wow those stats are pretty good for MOST players but I guess when the guy hits nearly 60 homeruns and 160 RBIs they aren't that great and since he has been with the Yankees he hasn't done much. He does seem to kill the ball in alot of meaningless situations.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:21 PM   #157
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, considering the league so far is hitting .219 (115/524, if my thumbnail math is correct) in the playoffs vs .268 in the regular season, maybe it's time to cut the guy a little slack. Again, obviously batting average is not a great stat but it's a pretty obvious reminder that there are a lot better pitchers in the playoffs so expected even identical rate stats in the playoffs vs the regular season is just plain ludicrous. Much less expecting better.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-06-2007 at 06:22 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:43 PM   #158
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And with that, there go the Cubs into the night.

SI

Old 10-06-2007, 09:02 PM   #159
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ok, who turned out the lights in Colorado?

SI

Old 10-06-2007, 09:25 PM   #160
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
And with that, there go the Cubs into the night.

What an awful series. How many times did the Cubs get the leadoff man on base in this series and fail to score? I think the announcers said they were 1 for 23 with runners in scoring position. FOUR double plays in game 3, argh.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:39 PM   #161
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
How many times did the Cubs get the leadoff man on base in this series and fail to score?

I hate it when people ask questions that I'm just curious enough to figure out the answer to.

Game 1 - 3rd, 5th, 6th (scored) = 1 of 3 scored
Game 2 - 2nd (scored), 5th = 1 of 2 scored
Game 3 - 1st, 2nd, 4th (scored), 5th = 1 of 4 scored

9 of 27 leadoff batters reached, 3 of 9 scored.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:52 PM   #162
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And the Rockies move on to face the D-Backs in an NL West battle in the NLCS!
Old 10-06-2007, 11:55 PM   #163
Galaril
Pro Starter

Ha-ha Phillies fans thought they were going to roll right over the Rocks. Good for them. Congrats to all the Rockies fans and good luck until the WS against (hopefully) my Red Sox.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:03 AM   #164
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Well, I went to a baseball game and a hockey crowd broke out.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:51 AM   #165
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Rockies/Dbacks NLCS.....I'm pretty sure reruns of "Still Standing" will draw comparable audiences. Poor TBS....They need to pray for Yankees/Red Sox.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:59 AM   #166
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

We were joking about that tonight. "The worst possible series. The one no one wants to see. Oh well."

I don't weep for TBS or FOX.

Here are pics from tonight's game, if you're into such things.

Playoff baseball is quite an experience, I must say. I really enjoyed that. I imagine it'd be pretty intense in a "baseball city" but...for what they lack in playoff experience, the local populace make up for it in exhuberance. It was pretty rockin' from start to finish, that's for sure.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:46 AM   #167
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Rockies/Dbacks NLCS.....I'm pretty sure reruns of "Still Standing" will draw comparable audiences. Poor TBS....They need to pray for Yankees/Red Sox.

TBS is fucked. It doesn't matter who wins the AL series' since FOX holds rights to the ALCS.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:47 AM   #168
Galaril
Pro Starter

I just wondered how you could market a Indians D'backs WS?
Old 10-07-2007, 10:18 AM   #169
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I find the Rockies really compelling so I'll take them in the World Series if that's who we get. On the AL side, I think all 4 of those teams are somewhat well known, tho Cleveland is the lowest rung on there since they haven't had much success in the last 5 years.

Arizona does kindof stink up the joint but that's because they kindof fluked their way into the best record in the league and no one's really sure how that happened. They have Brandon Webb included in a collection of guys that had a negative run differential. It boggles the mind.

Back to the ratings issue, this is the problem with running what amounts to local northeastern sports news as national in scope the rest of the year on ESPN, Fox, etc. They promo the hell out of New York, Boston, etc for cheap, short term gains. If you have practically every ESPN and FOX game at one of about 5 major markets all year, that's all people are going to see and that's all nationally people will "care" about it come playoff time. Why show, say a Jeff Francis-Brandon Webb regular season game when their respective teams are in the playoff chase when you can show some Yankees/Red Sox tilt between their 5th starters just because it's the "greatest rivalry" (sic) out there?

SI

Old 10-07-2007, 10:19 AM   #170
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
We were joking about that tonight. "The worst possible series. The one no one wants to see. Oh well."

I don't weep for TBS or FOX.

Here are pics from tonight's game, if you're into such things.

Playoff baseball is quite an experience, I must say. I really enjoyed that. I imagine it'd be pretty intense in a "baseball city" but...for what they lack in playoff experience, the local populace make up for it in exhuberance. It was pretty rockin' from start to finish, that's for sure.

So did you trip over a power cord on your way to get a hot dog in the 2nd inning there?

SI

Old 10-07-2007, 10:39 AM   #171
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You couldn't.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:49 AM   #172
TroyF
Coordinator

Any WS without the Yankees or Red Sox is going to be difficult to market. With those two teams, you have enough of a fan base nationally to draw viewers. And there is enough of a "hate" base that you'll get a lot more people cheering for them to lose.

The Angels give you a decent fan base in LA, but they aren't popular enough to hate. At least you have LA.

But the Indians vs. Dbacks/Rockies? For die hard baseball fans, that's a decent matchup. (Carmona, Sabathia vs. Webb or the Rockies bats make for good TV viewing) The casual baseball fan not from Cleveland, Arizona or Colorado? Low ratings here we come. . .
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:14 AM   #173
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
So did you trip over a power cord on your way to get a hot dog in the 2nd inning there?

SI

Hahaha..nope. Was just in my seat watching. It was cool to see the field with no stadium lights. The players got off that field fast as hell, though.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:38 AM   #174
MikeVic
Head Coach

Know what would be a marketable series? Jays vs Expos.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:40 AM   #175
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Know what would be a marketable series? Jays vs Expos.

With glowing hearts
We see thee rise
The TRUE NORTH strong and free!

I'd settle for just an all-Canadian Stanley Cup Final.

::sigh::
Old 10-07-2007, 12:02 PM   #176
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
With glowing hearts
We see thee rise
The TRUE NORTH strong and free!

I'd settle for just an all-Canadian Stanley Cup Final.

::sigh::

Awesome. If we had some kind of list of favourites, you'd be on it right now. My dream after the Jays two good years was for a Jays-Expos World Series. Will never happen now!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:11 PM   #177
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I became a Jays fan for no good reason around '91. Jack Morris showing up (he was my favourite player at the time) in '92 sealed the deal for me. I was lucky, I guess. And the team's success from '82 to then gave me a lot of lore to build on and to get excited about. Then it all went to pot.

One of my best friends growing up (and to this day) is a Canadian and that bolstered my interest, but, I just think hockey is such a pasttime that it's a shame what Bettman did to the sport under the guise of saving it and the fact that he still has a job just bugs the hell out of me.

But yes, an Expos-Jays World Series would've been great, especially since Montreal supported that team well until it was apparent that corrupt Bud and his boys had it out for them. At least an American city is now suffering under that fraud Jeffrey Loria, rather than continuing to rip the hearts out of people who are clearly sports fans, just don't want some huckster coming trying to lie to them about what his intentions are. In retrospect, it wasn't the best place for a baseball team in the first place..but...no one told them to do that. I think somewhere in Western Canada with a domed park would've been much better as a viable 2nd Canadian option.

I hope when the Marlins move, he sells the team and goes back to doing blow or whatever it is he was doing before he decided he wanted to be a baseball owner.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-07-2007 at 12:12 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:22 PM   #178
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Back to the ratings issue, this is the problem with running what amounts to local northeastern sports news as national in scope the rest of the year on ESPN, Fox, etc. They promo the hell out of New York, Boston, etc for cheap, short term gains. If you have practically every ESPN and FOX game at one of about 5 major markets all year, that's all people are going to see and that's all nationally people will "care" about it come playoff time. Why show, say a Jeff Francis-Brandon Webb regular season game when their respective teams are in the playoff chase when you can show some Yankees/Red Sox tilt between their 5th starters just because it's the "greatest rivalry" (sic) out there?

SI

I think that whole angle is a little overstated, but to the extent that it exists, you make it sound like ESPN is covering Boston/NY as some kind of charity case. The northeast is the population center of the United States, and it's transplants are all over the place. (It's amazing how many other 20-somethings from the northeast ended up here in Idaho). You're asking tv networks to leave money on the table by showing smaller market teams for some kind of future investment? If they Yankees and Red Sox were leaving the league or something, I'd see your point, but big markets have always driven sports TV business.

The New York market is more than just a big city - it includes almost 20 million people. That's 10 times Denver.

That being said, two major markets facing off in a championship series is sometimes too much of a good thing. Yankees/Mets in 2000 was horribly rated outside greater NYC (though again, if you can get a big piece of 20 million caring about the series - who cares about Pittsburgh or Detroit?). Red Sox/Rockies is probably the best matchup on the table right now, in terms of national interest.

Last edited by molson : 10-07-2007 at 02:23 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:41 PM   #179
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Great save by Weaver getting those strikeouts to get out of the rally.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:01 PM   #180
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Red Sox/Rockies is probably the best matchup on the table right now, in terms of national interest.

I'm not sure Arizona-Boston might not be better, or at least as good.

The Phoenix DMA is now about 20% larger than Denver (as of the recent Nielsen market estimates ) and I'm not sure that the Rockies generate any greater interest outside their home market these days than do the D'Backs.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:06 PM   #181
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Figgins was probably safe but tough to tell. Leading foot definitely in before the tag, but it looked like he missed the bag with that leg. If his knee is first to touch the bag, I think he's out, because Lowell had the tag on by then.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:10 PM   #182
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm not sure Arizona-Boston might not be better, or at least as good.

The Phoenix DMA is now about 20% larger than Denver (as of the recent Nielsen market estimates ) and I'm not sure that the Rockies generate any greater interest outside their home market these days than do the D'Backs.

The only reason I think the Rockies would generate extra interest is how they got to the playoffs. They're a great story - I think a lot of people would tune in to root for them to take down the the Red Sox or Yankees.

Last edited by molson : 10-07-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:17 PM   #183
molson
General Manager

Geez:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playof...ory?id=3052904

"His job is on the line," Steinbrenner told The Bergen Record. "I think we're paying him a lot of money. He's the highest-paid manager in baseball, so I don't think we'd take him back if we don't win this series."

What a dope.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #184
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

eh...2-0 Sox now. Back to back bombs by Ortiz (hard) and Manny (crushed another)
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #185
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Are you watching, Bill Stoneman? This is why it's important to get some power. Other teams beat your teams with it. It doesn't mean stop using the speed and the small ball. But get a sack and get us a freakin' hitter to hit behind Guerrero.

And speaking of which, from Scioscia's decision to rest players in the last week rather than going for home field, to his decisions in this series to put guys like Izturis at 5, and Willits of all people in the cleanup spot, if we lose this, as it appears to me, it is all on him and Stoneman. Just some awful decision making from a normally extremely intelligent basbeall man.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:28 PM   #186
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh okay, Willits was an injury replacement. Somehow I missed that. Yuk, though. I stand by the other comments.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:40 PM   #187
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I hear there's a 3B who might be on the market this offseason who has a bit of pop in his bat, CR. Oh yeah, but he doesn't hit 1.000 in the playoffs

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-07-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #188
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I hear there's a 3B who might be on the market this offseason who has a bit of pop in his bat, CR. Oh yeah, but he doesn't hit 1.000 in the playoffs

SI

Mike Lowell?
Old 10-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #189
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

SI

Heh, yeah, I know, and the Angels are probaby the most often mentioned team when it comes to him (besides his current team). I just don't see how we can come up with $30 M a year. And what does that do for the rest of the team, particularly Guerrero. Vlad's contract runs out in '09 (assuming we pick up the option). If ARod's grabbing 30-something, how much do we give Vlad, who the team probably owes a lot more to fo rwhat he has been for this franchise since he came over.

Sure, we're in LA over here, but I don't know that we can afford that much.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:45 PM   #190
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Mike Lowell?

I would take Mike Lowell right now in a heartbeat. Most legit hitter Stoneman would have gotten since Vlad, which is sad.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:54 PM   #191
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Are you watching, Bill Stoneman? This is why it's important to get some power. Other teams beat your teams with it. It doesn't mean stop using the speed and the small ball. But get a sack and get us a freakin' hitter to hit behind Guerrero.

Makes you wonder how bad of shape your team would be in if 29 other teams weren't scared of Vlad's back when he was a FA.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:54 PM   #192
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Heh, yeah, I know, and the Angels are probaby the most often mentioned team when it comes to him (besides his current team). I just don't see how we can come up with $30 M a year. And what does that do for the rest of the team, particularly Guerrero. Vlad's contract runs out in '09 (assuming we pick up the option). If ARod's grabbing 30-something, how much do we give Vlad, who the team probably owes a lot more to fo rwhat he has been for this franchise since he came over.

Sure, we're in LA over here, but I don't know that we can afford that much.

Oh, c'mon. We all know he's coming to KC to play SS and anchor our lineup

SI

Old 10-07-2007, 04:00 PM   #193
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Makes you wonder how bad of shape your team would be in if 29 other teams weren't scared of Vlad's back when he was a FA.

Well, we have to give credit where it's due, even if the management team has done an awful job otherwise procuring legit hitters. They took a chance and it worked. Other teams should be kicking themselves over that.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:07 PM   #194
Logan
Head Coach

5 years, $70 million was very cheap.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:11 PM   #195
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
5 years, $70 million was very cheap.

Actually for then it was about right. Teams were a lot more stingy then in the wake of the 2002 labor deal, and the madness of the 2000 FA season (the one where ARod and Manny got their money).

Since then, baseball has seen record attendances and revenues and teams have gone a little nutso with spending. So for the time, it was a lot of money for that market. It's only in retrospect that it looks like a particularly good deal.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:05 PM   #196
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Since this game is over now...

For as close as these playoffs looked on paper, probably as open coming in as ever in recent history, it's really odd that we've had 3 sweeps and another team trying for a 4th tonight.

SI

Old 10-07-2007, 05:25 PM   #197
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Since this game is over now...

For as close as these playoffs looked on paper, probably as open coming in as ever in recent history, it's really odd that we've had 3 sweeps and another team trying for a 4th tonight.

SI

+1

Indeed, what a strange turn of events. I do like it, given it's been sweeps by teams that no one really favored except in the case of the Red Sox (And even that wasn't a forgone conclusion.

I'm sure it'll get the clamoring for the Division Series to be best-of-seven in full swing again. Not that I think in any of these cases, it would've mattered much. I think the short series is a nice to weed out the pretenders and in other sports, it might lead to fluke wins, but in baseball..I figure that after 162 (or more) games, you don't need too many games to decide 'who belongs'.

If they shortened the season to 148 games, I could down for an either longer division series or preferably, a wild card series that's just a best-of-three between the two wild cards (and let the 3 division champs in as normal)
Old 10-07-2007, 05:26 PM   #198
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

It's been a lot of fun having baseball on every night, though.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:27 PM   #199
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Red Sox vs Indians is such a worst case scenario. Ugh.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:29 PM   #200
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Red Sox vs Indians is such a worst case scenario. Ugh.

Save for '04, it'd be compelling. But maybe the Indians need to get past the demons of the Red Sox before trying to exorcise their own streak.