Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-04-2009, 11:21 AM   #151
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I didn't watch, just followed the game online, so could someone confirm this account from an Oregon columnist

Kelly was disrespected multiple times on the Ducks sideline during the game. Players scoffed in his face. Another shouted at him. Bellotti undermined him, too, by walking up in front of Kelly's players to offer the new guy input in the second quarter. And so we're learning calling the plays is one thing, and leading the program is another.
I didn't notice any overt disrespect of Kelly on the sidelines by his players, but it's not like the camera was on him constantly. I'd guess that reporter was on the sidelines and was able to witness it himself.

As a Washington fan, I'm loving the idea that Kelly has a tenuous grip on that program and that chaos is a-brewin'...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #152
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm thinking that Illinois and @Nevada provide more challenges than any on the KU slate. We deserve a couple of easy ones. But as you mention, KU managed to make a BCS bowl despite not even winning a division championship/making the championship game in their own league, so I guess there's something to scheduling no one in your non-conf schedule.

Oranges are tastier than sour grapes.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #153
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Oranges are tastier than sour grapes.

ZING!
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #154
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I know we didn't lose by 40, sending our best team in years to the Alamo Bowl.

And here is a picture of our coach one bowl into devouring Florida's entire orange supply.

(to others fans, we all know we don't have national titles to fight over but we all have our own little squabbles)

SI

Shortly after this picture was taken, none of the oranges were seen again, even the rinds, nor was the bowl found. And they still haven't found that walk on defensive tackle. Hey, you put it all together.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #155
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That made me curious myself, so I went & looked.

They start a trip through murderer's row with Northern Colorado, followed by UTEP and Duke.

At least they don't play Charleston Southern. I didn't know choirs offered up football teams.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:16 PM   #156
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Well, on the other nationally televised game last night, if the Wolfpack had any receivers who could actually CATCH a football, they probably could have knocked off South Carolina last night, whose only points came after a fumble recovery at the Pack 9 yard line. But they don't seem to have anybody who can catch a pass from either of their QBs. Going to be a long season if that remains the case.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:29 PM   #157
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Well, on the other nationally televised game last night, if the Wolfpack had any receivers who could actually CATCH a football, they probably could have knocked off South Carolina last night, whose only points came after a fumble recovery at the Pack 9 yard line. But they don't seem to have anybody who can catch a pass from either of their QBs. Going to be a long season if that remains the case.

I was kind of wondering about the "genius" of Steve Spurrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #158
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
My inside source at RU says it will be Natale but all 3 QB's probably see time at some point unless Natale is lights out.

Yep, this is how it's going to be.

I can't fuckin wait, leaving the city around 8 and should be at the lots by 10.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:16 PM   #159
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Shortly after this picture was taken, none of the oranges were seen again, even the rinds, nor was the bowl found. And they still haven't found that walk on defensive tackle. Hey, you put it all together.

I admit- I laughed hard enough that a co-worked asked what I was laughing about

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #160
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I admit- I laughed hard enough that a co-worked asked what I was laughing about

SI

I laughed as well. It's terrible that we laugh at a guy who is literally killing himself with weight. Guilty as charged.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #161
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

And Blount is gone, I don't think UofO really had any choice here.

Oregon's LeGarrette Blount suspended for season - Behind The Ducks Beat
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:12 PM   #162
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Nice sentimental moment from the lead of Rece Davis' weekly espn.com preview

Toe meets leather. A little dated because it's actually side of the foot that meets leather now, but invoking the no-frills yet exquisite words of Al Ciraldo, the legendary former voice of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, is a perfect way to kick off our season. ...

We're not a huge number overall in the college football world, but there's sure a lot of Tech fans who still miss that voice. Al in his prime is so much a part of my childhood & early adulthood.

edit to add: I never used "toe meets leather" on any of the HS games I did, but I did often borrow his PAT sequence & rhythm ("Both lines set, snap, touch, kick by Thomas Palmer ... it's high enough ... it is ... Gtt.") purely in tribute, a nod to his influence for those who would recognize it and harmless enough for those who didn't know the difference.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-04-2009 at 04:15 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:44 PM   #163
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
FCS Villanova (from the CAA) upset Temple last night. Way to go Nova! Not a HUGE win as Temple isn't a football powerhouse, but any FCS over BCS win is good for the division.
Yay. Go A-10/CAA/whatever that monstrosity it's called now. (I hold out little hope for UMass this year and the next couple - the guy we promoted is a joke. At least Chip Kelly was a good OC - Kevin Morris wasn't.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #164
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
3:30 PM ET (ABC)
13 Georgia
9 Oklahoma St.

My little Crystal Bowl says.....

Zac Robinson starts his Heisman campaign tomorrow. There always seems to be 1 guy to come from out of nowhere to ruin what the media is trying set up, and this year it will be Zac Robinson. So, while the media is busy following Bradford, Tebow and McCoy; Robinson and OSU will emerge from out of nowwhere and shock both the Big XII and the rest of the world. OSU will go undefeated this year!
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 09-04-2009 at 04:46 PM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:48 PM   #165
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
And Blount is gone, I don't think UofO really had any choice here.

Oregon's LeGarrette Blount suspended for season - Behind The Ducks Beat
Makes Peterson's response look weak. I'd suspend the kid one game for taunting after the game.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #166
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post
My little Crystal Bowl says.....

Zac Robinson starts his Heisman campaign tomorrow. There always seems to be 1 guy to come from out of nowhere to ruin what the media is trying set up, and this year it will be Zac Robinson. So, while the media is busy following Bradford, Tebow and McCoy; Robinson and OSU will emerge from out of nowhere and shock both the Big XII and the rest of the world. OSU will go undefeated this year!
Is Crystal Bowl supposed to be some kind of NCAA football related inside joke? If not, the rest of your post certainly is. Maybe later in the season once OK St's offense is clicking, but why invite an SEC defense that good in Week 1 when everyone's sloppy?
Old 09-04-2009, 05:21 PM   #167
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Is Crystal Bowl supposed to be some kind of NCAA football related inside joke? If not, the rest of your post certainly is. Maybe later in the season once OK St's offense is clicking, but why invite an SEC defense that good in Week 1 when everyone's sloppy?
LOL.. Now who is being the funny one? You actually think OSU's problem this year is going to be on the offensive side of the ball?

OSU's offense should be clicking from opening day with all its stars returning. I will stack Robinson, Bryant, and Hunter up against any other trio in college football!

It will be the new Bill Young defense that might be slow to start. So, it makes perfect since to take on a team that has lost its stars on the offensive side of the ball. Young must get his side of the team hitting on all cylinders before Big XII play begins if they hope to go all the way this year.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 09-04-2009 at 06:24 PM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #168
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa lost its starting RB for the season with a knee. What a bummer. He will redshirt.

Im kind of nervous about this game against Northern Iowa. They are #4 in the FCS and a traditional power in that division. Plus it is Fryfest, which means plenty of distractions. All this could spell doom.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:23 PM   #169
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Nice sentimental moment from the lead of Rece Davis' weekly espn.com preview

Toe meets leather. A little dated because it's actually side of the foot that meets leather now, but invoking the no-frills yet exquisite words of Al Ciraldo, the legendary former voice of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, is a perfect way to kick off our season. ...

We're not a huge number overall in the college football world, but there's sure a lot of Tech fans who still miss that voice. Al in his prime is so much a part of my childhood & early adulthood.

edit to add: I never used "toe meets leather" on any of the HS games I did, but I did often borrow his PAT sequence & rhythm ("Both lines set, snap, touch, kick by Thomas Palmer ... it's high enough ... it is ... Gtt.") purely in tribute, a nod to his influence for those who would recognize it and harmless enough for those who didn't know the difference.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #170
tarcone
Coordinator

Blount suspended the rest of the season
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:29 PM   #171
Blade6119
Coordinator

Little late to the game on that one tarcone, about 10 posts too late
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #172
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I laughed as well. It's terrible that we laugh at a guy who is literally killing himself with weight. Guilty as charged.

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #173
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Makes Peterson's response look weak. I'd suspend the kid one game for taunting after the game.

Not sure how many people have played football at the college level but from what I have seen or heard what was said that was not even close to taunting from my experience. Just my .02 cents.

Last edited by Galaril : 09-04-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #174
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Not sure how many people have played football at the college level but from what I have seen or heard what was said that was not even close to taunting from my experience. Just my .02 cents.
If I'm Peterson, I have him run some extra wind sprints and stairs and make it clear I expect more mature behavior, but his taunting is hardly of the level that demands suspension from a game.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #175
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Peterson's response was weak. In honor of his non-move, I dub him Pete Carroll II.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:25 PM   #176
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
If I'm Peterson, I have him run some extra wind sprints and stairs and make it clear I expect more mature behavior, but his taunting is hardly of the level that demands suspension from a game.

In general, I agree, but I think this is subject to the same thing Blunt's suspension is subject to--a "public opinion" modifier in the direction of harsh.

He deserves a game for sheer stupidity.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:59 PM   #177
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Peterson's response was weak. In honor of his non-move, I dub him Pete Carroll II.

You complain about cheap shots, yet you take them all too readily. Slick Rick II would be much more appropriate.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #178
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

UCLA won't be battling for 4th. With their O-line, they are looking at another 8th place finish, likely. At best, I think they finish 6th in the conference.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:19 PM   #179
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
You complain about cheap shots, yet you take them all too readily. Slick Rick II would be much more appropriate.

USC has had a ton of discipline issues in Carroll's tenure, and he always manages to keep them on the squad. I don't think it's a stretch to consider him to be a little light when it comes to disciplining his players. Or do you want me to go digging up Rey Rey, Justice, Dennis, Sanchez, countless others? Someone on the UCLA boards once did a very impressive list of all the stuff that's happened at USC in the past nine years. Hardly any of those players missed time.

Slick Rick has had his own issues, yes, but not like Carroll. There isn't a lighter on crime coach in America right now.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:21 PM   #180
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dola -

UCLA won't be battling for 4th. With their O-line, they are looking at another 8th place finish, likely. At best, I think they finish 6th in the conference.

We'll see. I doubt you know a thing about UCLA and its roster right now, though, or what's going on there. You just hold on to that hope of an eighth place finish. If it comes true, three months from now, you can throw it in my face. As you can see, I'm really worried.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:25 PM   #181
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

BTW, not that I haven't because I am sure I have, but which time of mine are you pointing to with respect to complaining about cheap shots? I am guessing it is something from, what, a year ago or more? If so, let it go, man. Your hate is unbecoming.

From all respects, when you're not talking to Bug or me, you're one of the better posters on the board. It's a shame to see you can't rise above it in all situations.

Make fun of UCLA and Slick Rick all you want, but no need to come at me personally.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 09-04-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #182
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I don't entirely see how what Oregon did to discipline Blunt should have any bearing on what goes on at Boise State for unrelated incidents. It would have been one thing if they had both punched each other and one school said 2 games while the other said season. But they were completely different levels of actions. It seems a lot more like public perception than anything to me.

Let's say one team starts handing out half season suspensions for trash talking. Does that mean everyone else should? I'm not saying whether or not he should be suspended at Boise St. But what Oregon did to their player shouldn't have any bearing on it.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-04-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #183
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Tomorrow is the day!!!

What a birthday present! My dad bought me tickets to the Mizzou - Illinois game tomorrow!!!!!! Wife gave me $100 for the game.. oh yeah!

We will be heading out around 10am, then it's on to the tailgating!

GO TIGERS MIZ.....ZOU!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #184
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't entirely see how what Oregon did to discipline Blunt should have any bearing on what goes on at Boise State for unrelated incidents. It would have been one thing if they had both punched each other and one school said 2 games while the other said season. But they were completely different levels of actions. It seems a lot more like public perception than anything to me.

Let's say one team starts handing out half season suspensions for trash talking. Does that mean everyone else should?

SI

SI, not sure where you're getting me connecting the two. I am not. I am saying there was an incident here, and it is exacerbated by the public perception. At no point is OU's actions considered with respect to BSU's actions. Just incident + public perception == potential for greater punishment than the norm.

Who suggests half season suspensions for trash talking? I say a game at most, and it's not for trash talking (although that should also have the kid receiving other punishments within the program). It was touching Blount.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #185
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Tomorrow is the day!!!

What a birthday present! My dad bought me tickets to the Mizzou - Illinois game tomorrow!!!!!! Wife gave me $100 for the game.. oh yeah!

GO TIGERS MIZ.....ZOU!!!

Did she give you the $100, or did she just ask you for the address of whichever Illini fan you bet it on?

Old 09-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #186
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Tomorrow is the day!!!

GO TIGERS MIZ.....ZOU!!!

Thats's awesome!

Hope you have a blast.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:01 PM   #187
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
SI, not sure where you're getting me connecting the two. I am not. I am saying there was an incident here, and it is exacerbated by the public perception. At no point is OU's actions considered with respect to BSU's actions. Just incident + public perception == potential for greater punishment than the norm.

Who suggests half season suspensions for trash talking? I say a game at most, and it's not for trash talking (although that should also have the kid receiving other punishments within the program). It was touching Blount.

Sorry, yours was just referencing the situation that I wanted to talk about- I wasn't really responding directly to your quote. You actually made a great point about public perception and how that is/should be influencing the punishment. I don't necessarily agree with it, but wanted to expand on it.

The hypothetical was purely that. No one is talking about suspending anyone 5 games but the point was that one school's punishment shouldn't really influence another's.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-04-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #188
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Tomorrow is the day!!!

GO TIGERS MIZ.....ZOU!!!

Bring home a win!
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:21 PM   #189
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

Shh! Nobody noticed on here. Please don't disturb.

On a tragicomic note, it is interesting to see a fanbase that was firmly on the bandwagon after last year pretty much turn around in less than 60 minutes of play and essentially ask that everybody down to the waterboy get fired/benched/lose their scholarship/etc. We never cease to eat our own around here no matter the sport or the time of year.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:41 PM   #190
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Did she give you the $100, or did she just ask you for the address of whichever Illini fan you bet it on?

... I love you Chief Rum!

Tigers win a close one 24-20.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:41 PM   #191
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sorry, yours was just referencing the situation that I wanted to talk about- I wasn't really responding directly to your quote. You actually made a great point about public perception and how that is/should be influencing the punishment. I don't necessarily agree with it, but wanted to expand on it.

The hypothetical was purely that. No one is talking about suspending anyone 5 games but the point was that one school's punishment shouldn't really influence another's.

SI

A) Exactly right

B) Public perception being taken into account, is there ANY groundswell for suspending the Boise player?! Everything I heard in the aftermath is outrage against the Oregon player and nothing against Boise. Then again, I (and most of the rest of the country) don't live in a Pac-10 area.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:41 PM   #192
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Thats's awesome!

Hope you have a blast.

Thanks.. should be a great time.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:42 PM   #193
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Bring home a win!

MIZ baby! I'll see you up in Columbia this year.

It's on ESPN too!
Old 09-05-2009, 01:18 AM   #194
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I love the new fashion trend in Stillwater

edit to add: Alas the front only says "Beat Georgia" as opposed to what I had in mind

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-05-2009 at 01:28 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:26 AM   #195
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I love my wife.

I told her about the Oregeon- Boise nonsense lasy night and how the kid is suspended and maybe screwed up his pro career. She says, no he didn't, the Bengals will draft him.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:50 AM   #196
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I haven't played D1 football, but I've taunted and been taunted at the end of sporting events... and that was taunting aka talking shit after a game you won. If it wasn't something discouraged, why was Peterson pulling him back before Blount hit him?
Quote:
Tomorrow is the day!!!

GO TIGERS MIZ.....ZOU!!!
Do work son!

Last edited by BishopMVP : 09-05-2009 at 02:51 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:16 AM   #197
JeeberD
General Manager

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:26 AM   #198
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

That didnt take long
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:28 AM   #199
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Tomorrow is the day!!!

GO TIGERS MIZ.....ZOU!!!

Enjoy

SI

Old 09-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #200
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Mizzourah/MBBF. Heading out to the dome in a few hours. Sucks that it is going to be raining all day. I feel like the only way to enjoy a pregame is by tailgating and refuse to go into the bars and restaurants and get gouged. Let's bring home a win!!!
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote