Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Cesaro walked out of WWE today free and clear

other than the non-compete
Old 02-24-2022, 07:55 PM   #9103
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Not according to what I read - his contract ended so he's free to sign and appear immediately.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 08:17 PM   #9104
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Not according to what I read - his contract ended so he's free to sign and appear immediately.

I'd seen "subject to a non compete" in the initial reports, but probably only he knows for sure lol
Old 02-24-2022, 09:50 PM   #9105
RainMaker
General Manager

I know he wasn't great on the mic, but damn he can work a match. Never understood why they didn't find a manager or something for him and let him do his thing. Guy could put a 4 star match on with a broomstick.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 08:40 PM   #9106
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I know he wasn't great on the mic, but damn he can work a match. Never understood why they didn't find a manager or something for him and let him do his thing. Guy could put a 4 star match on with a broomstick.

I was at an ROH match between Cesario (Claudio) and Kyle O'Reilly in one of Kyle's first wrestling matches. He basically gave Kyle the giant swing for half the match and beat the crap outta him. It was awesome! Obviously there were at different career trajectories at that time, but they put on a very entertaining match. That's probably 10 years ago now, I'd say.

I thought that Claudio was pretty decent on the mic when he was able to do his own thing. Maybe he doesn't operate as well in a "written" environment.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 08:59 PM   #9107
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
That's probably 10 years ago now, I'd say.

I'm guessing maybe this is it (only singles match between them in the database)

ROH Revolution: Canada at Ted Reeve Arena wrestling results - Internet Wrestling Database

Damned good guess, not quite 11 years ago. My hunch was that it would have been a couple years farther back than that, but nope.
Old 02-26-2022, 02:40 PM   #9108
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm guessing maybe this is it (only singles match between them in the database)

ROH Revolution: Canada at Ted Reeve Arena wrestling results - Internet Wrestling Database

Damned good guess, not quite 11 years ago. My hunch was that it would have been a couple years farther back than that, but nope.

I'm sure that's the one! We were regulars at the Ted Reeve Arena when ROH used to go there.

Death Before Dishonor VIII was an amazing card to see as well, we were in the front row for that one.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:16 PM   #9109
miami_fan
Coordinator

Tony Khan, AEW CEO and son of Jaguars owner, acquires wrestling promotion Ring of Honor
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 08:56 PM   #9110
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

MJF pulls off an 11/10 promo segment tonight
Old 03-02-2022, 09:56 PM   #9111
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

15/10
Old 03-02-2022, 10:17 PM   #9112
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
MJF pulls off an 11/10 promo segment tonight

Was that a callback to Punk in ROH?
Old 03-02-2022, 10:24 PM   #9113
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Was that a callback to Punk in ROH?

word for word for part of it
Old 03-03-2022, 12:24 PM   #9114
RainMaker
General Manager

Even his segment with Wardlow in the back was gold. Don't know how someone is that good at that age. Can't really think of another example in the business.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:23 PM   #9115
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

If dynamite was a 15/10 segment then that match was 20/10
Old 03-07-2022, 12:00 AM   #9116
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Dola:

So, this is more rambling notes but I think we all need a cigarette after that, so you get more short takes.

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

They need to do a two hour DVD/Video release of CM Punk/MJF's feud, complete with both of them talking about the feud, and both matches complete. If anyone else gives anything else serious consideration for feud of the year, they're nuts. It was simultaneously an orgy of violence, and A1-storytelling, with so many callbacks to past spots, both in this feud and in the history of both men and wrestling as a whole.

Speaking of "Orgies of violence". What do you think went through Danielson and Moxley as they watched that insanity? In my head, they must have been like "there's no way we can top that." and been down and out, until Regal slapped them both saying "You don't have to top that. You just have to do YOUR own style and dare them to TOP THAT".

Between Kingston/Jericho and Danielson/Moxley, I think the ghost of Misawa with Hashimoto in puro heaven is nodding, and saying to Kawada, Taue, Chono and Mutoh on earth. "They learned our lessons. They applied it. They understand it. We did our job".

Pro Wrestling is ALIVE and FUCKING WELL, boys.

Speaking of Alive and Fucking Well, what the fuck, Sting? Where the fuck did you find the fountain of fucking youth and why ain't you sharing with the rest of us?

I think I can understand why they didn't pull the title switch with Baker. There was so much going on that Rosa taking the title here would have been lost in all the insane moments. As it was, the Adams Championship match almost felt like a leftover. Hopefully in the next couple months, they let the two main event Dynamite (or Rampage) in a 30 minute Iron Woman match and give Rosa the belt. The call back better have all the contenders that got screwed by Team Baker (DmD) banding together to stop outside influence.

Speaking of Mutoh, did Punk actually break the 1.0 Muta scale?

I reiterate. Pro Wrestling is ALIVE AND WELL. FUCK THE HATERS.

Top Mark, Out (I had to get FTR referenced on this show) ��
Old 03-07-2022, 12:59 AM   #9117
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
(I had to get FTR referenced on this show)

Coming soon to a B-show (possibly ROH branded) near you
Old 03-07-2022, 05:31 PM   #9118
RainMaker
General Manager

Eddie Kingston is really great. Little bit of Tommy Dreamer in him where he doesn't need to win much but is just over as hell.
Old 03-07-2022, 07:06 PM   #9119
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I believe Thunder Rosa lives in San Antonio now and calls it home. AEW happens to be in San Antonio in two weeks, when DMD is defending the title against the winner of this week's Rosa-Leyla Hirsch number one contender match. I'm guessing that they held off on the title switch on the PPV to do it in two weeks for the home town pop.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 07:57 PM   #9120
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't know enough about Britt Baker but every big match I see her in turns into some WCW style one with tons of interference. Just really hate watching that style.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:42 AM   #9121
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Eddie Kingston is really great. Little bit of Tommy Dreamer in him where he doesn't need to win much but is just over as hell.

I agree, I just watched his match against Bryan Danielson from November and it was awesome. I love how Danielson's style has reverted to his old ROH style pre-WWE. Every night could be a different style. Some nights technical, some nights brawling, or submissions, etc.

Kingston is a guy that I feel does a great job with the realism of the character. I feel like he's a guy that wants to get into a brawl, and would probably knock the crap outta you since he's been in hundreds of fights before.
Old 03-09-2022, 01:00 PM   #9122
RainMaker
General Manager

Few things from Revolution:

- MJF fakeout on Punk's entrance was pretty good. Also Punk coming out to his old ROH theme. Match was real good and MJF is just so damn good.

- Jade Cargill is still real green but good lord what a look. Sort of feels like they're using a Goldberg type build for her.

- I really hate triple threat tag matches. They just don't make sense. It was entertaining, but I think I'd rather just see them put out regular matches.

- Stink can still work. Don't know how he does it.

- Surprised at the reaction Cole got as opposed to Hangman. Also interested in seeing where they go with all that. Cole/reDragon vs Bucks/Hangman? I would say Omega, but it seems like he may be out for quite awhile longer. But they've kind of hinted at the Bucks and Hangman making up at times.

I usually roll my eyes at Trios titles but I think AEW is one of the few brands that could legitimately pull it off. They have a huge roster, lot of TV time to fill, and a lot of stables. Gives you a belt you can play hot potato with and have some great matches with a little more at stake.

Last edited by RainMaker : 03-09-2022 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-09-2022, 01:12 PM   #9123
RainMaker
General Manager

And I know I've piled on JR a bunch, but he's just bad at times. Didn't understand why Punk was coming out to new music. Spent half of Hangman's entrance talking about how he has a new belt design (it was the same belt).

Just let Tony and Excalibur do it. Excalibur is great by the way.
Old 03-09-2022, 01:23 PM   #9124
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And I know I've piled on JR a bunch, but he's just bad at times. Didn't understand why Punk was coming out to new music. Spent half of Hangman's entrance talking about how he has a new belt design (it was the same belt).

Just let Tony and Excalibur do it. Excalibur is great by the way.

JR has been tarnishing his legacy for quite a while now. He's so bad he's unlistenable at this point, been that way since the horrendous stint for NJPW on AXS.
Old 03-09-2022, 01:40 PM   #9125
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
JR has been tarnishing his legacy for quite a while now. He's so bad he's unlistenable at this point, been that way since the horrendous stint for NJPW on AXS.

I would really like to see Taz replace his spot. And it is no knock on JR, but you need to know when it is time to go.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 01:51 PM   #9126
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I would really like to see Taz replace his spot. And it is no knock on JR, but you need to know when it is time to go.

After his abominable performance on AXS,I have no problem knocking JR whatsoever. One of the least professional things I can remember in a long time, zero effort or interest in anything other than a paycheck (and/or ego gratification)
Old 03-09-2022, 02:59 PM   #9127
RainMaker
General Manager

If we're talking bad announcers, I really can't stand Jericho doing it either. Just so over-the-top on everything.

I've been surprised at how good Schiavone is. Always seems prepared and knows when to make moments big. And agree on Taz, he's always been solid in my opinion.

The main event entrance was my last straw with JR. He sounded like a bumbling old man who didn't know what was happening. Felt bad for Tony too in that spot. Real bad clip but you can hear what I'm talking about at the end.

Adam Page Entrance Aew Revolution - YouTube
Old 03-09-2022, 03:58 PM   #9128
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If we're talking bad announcers, I really can't stand Jericho doing it either. Just so over-the-top on everything.

I've been surprised at how good Schiavone is. Always seems prepared and knows when to make moments big. And agree on Taz, he's always been solid in my opinion.

The main event entrance was my last straw with JR. He sounded like a bumbling old man who didn't know what was happening. Felt bad for Tony too in that spot. Real bad clip but you can hear what I'm talking about at the end.

Adam Page Entrance Aew Revolution - YouTube

I cut Jericho slack because I believe the over the top is entirely intentional. That's his commentary character if you will.

I can't stand Taz on commentary tbh.

And my issue with Tony is pretty specific. I saw him in person at a show not long before he joined AEW (he did an in-ring segment) He was just the most ... ugh ... personality at that show. It soured me on him so much that I can't give his work on TV now a fair shot. That ain't fair but it's how it is.
Old 03-09-2022, 09:56 PM   #9129
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Agreed on JR, I would be happy if he hangs it up anytime soon.

Count me in as a Taz fan, I generally enjoy his commentary. I also enjoy Jericho on commentary in small doses. The one hour of Rampage works for me, anything beyond that would be too much. Some of the best stuff is actually during the commercial breaks on the Fite feed between Taz and Jericho. They tend to push the smarky comedic boundary there and it's generally more hits than misses.
Old 03-10-2022, 01:12 PM   #9130
RainMaker
General Manager

I forgot how 3 seconds into the telecast JR forgot where they were. "It's AEW Revolution....we're live in...uhhh...ummm...Tony where are we?". Not exaggerating, that's how the show started.

Taz to me is just there. And I think based on how bad so many wrestling announcers are, that's good in my book.
Old 03-10-2022, 07:39 PM   #9131
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Taz to me is just there. And I think based on how bad so many wrestling announcers are, that's good in my book.
In terms of color guys, it's been a long time since there's anyone that could be classified as good. Bobby Heenan and Jesse Ventura would probably be the top two. Heyman was great and I would enjoy Cornette the few times that he did it. I've always been a big Don Callis fan as well, although sometimes he put himself over too much instead of the talent; but really entertaining to me nonetheless. I find that both Taz and Jericho at least appreciate that their job while on color is putting over the guys in the ring.

I could never stand Lawler.
Old 03-11-2022, 06:23 AM   #9132
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
In terms of color guys, it's been a long time since there's anyone that could be classified as good. Bobby Heenan and Jesse Ventura would probably be the top two. Heyman was great and I would enjoy Cornette the few times that he did it. I've always been a big Don Callis fan as well, although sometimes he put himself over too much instead of the talent; but really entertaining to me nonetheless. I find that both Taz and Jericho at least appreciate that their job while on color is putting over the guys in the ring.

I could never stand Lawler.

Callis and Styles were great together in ECW
Old 03-11-2022, 12:08 PM   #9133
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

New Japan Cup opening round match between Ishii and Shingo was awfully damned good if you like that style.

And I haven't seen Okada-Despy yet but possible MotY talk started immediately after.
Old 03-11-2022, 12:51 PM   #9134
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I've never seen a bad Ishii match. His matches are intense. I saw Shingo wrestle in person many years ago at Dragon Gate USA, he was awesome then, and I can imagine he's even better now.
Old 03-11-2022, 09:40 PM   #9135
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Big E suffered a broken neck tonight (confirmed by him in a tweet from the hospital) Thankfully, NOT paralyzed
Old 03-11-2022, 09:49 PM   #9136
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Big E suffered a broken neck tonight (confirmed by him in a tweet from the hospital) Thankfully, NOT paralyzed

Seems like something akin to Hiromu situation from the scant info so far
Old 03-11-2022, 09:50 PM   #9137
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've never seen a bad Ishii match. His matches are intense. I saw Shingo wrestle in person many years ago at Dragon Gate USA, he was awesome then, and I can imagine he's even better now.

He's about as good a tank as the business has, and unlike most, he's capable of going 4* easily, 5* several times a year, and pretty much never below 3* to 3.5*
Old 03-12-2022, 02:51 AM   #9138
RainMaker
General Manager

That looked bad. And he is a big man coming down on that neck.

Everything I have read sounds like Big E is a really nice guy. Hope he is OK.
Old 03-12-2022, 06:49 AM   #9139
miami_fan
Coordinator

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 03-13-2022, 02:15 PM   #9140
miami_fan
Coordinator

WWE Star Scott Hall On Life Support After Hip Surgery
Old 03-13-2022, 04:55 PM   #9141
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I read that Big E fractured his C1 and C6 vertebrae. Neither one was a displaced fracture so no surgery is necessary, however the C1 fracture is highly problematic. It's the one at the very top of the spine and is most closely associated with catastrophic spinal injury, paralysis, or death. Unless it heals perfectly, and there's no reason it shouldn't, this could be the end of Big E's career.
Old 03-13-2022, 07:35 PM   #9142
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I'm a bit behind on my AEW viewing, so I just saw the bad Lance Archer injury where he landed on his head doing a moonsault. Then Big E being dropped on his head with a Suplex. Perhaps guys that are 280 lbs or more should stop pretending they're 190 and stop doing these types of moves. Brock Lesnar almost killed himself doing it too when he was in his first WWE run. It's obviously dangerous. They wouldn't want Matt Sydal press slamming them, so they should let the flyers do the flying moves.
Old 03-13-2022, 10:51 PM   #9143
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

That really sucks. Survive decades of substance abuse and then end up on life support from a routine hip surgery. Hope he pulls through.
Old 03-14-2022, 03:06 AM   #9144
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Kevin Nash has said that once Scott Hall's family has had a chance to say goodbye, that his life support will be discontinued.

That sucks.
Old 03-14-2022, 10:59 AM   #9145
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Kevin Nash has said that once Scott Hall's family has had a chance to say goodbye, that his life support will be discontinued.

That sucks.

So sad. Many of us have followed him from as far back as the AWA as "Big" Scott Hall, teaming with Curt Hennig. And then his runs in the WWF and WCW were pretty legendary. One of the greatest matches of all time against Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania X.
Old 03-14-2022, 12:49 PM   #9146
BYU 14
Coordinator

Oh damn
Old 03-14-2022, 07:18 PM   #9147
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Hall has now passed. RIP to the Bad Guy
Old 03-14-2022, 07:28 PM   #9148
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
So sad. Many of us have followed him from as far back as the AWA as "Big" Scott Hall, teaming with Curt Hennig. And then his runs in the WWF and WCW were pretty legendary. One of the greatest matches of all time against Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania X.

This, knew him from the AWA days.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 08:59 AM   #9149
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

anyone remember "Magnum" Scott Hall?
Old 03-15-2022, 12:29 PM   #9150
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer