Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-31-2021, 10:05 PM   #2251
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Eh ... Krenzel was drafted AND ended up starting 5 NFL games (going 3-2).

The only way I can even imagine Bennett getting to an NFL game is if he buys a ticket.

Or the Bears decide to draft him too.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 10:05 PM   #2252
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
It hasn't hindered UGAg much this season.

If they somehow manage to slay their personal dragon next week, it'll be the worst QB to win a natty in ... damn, I don't even know off hand how long. He's not even a good game manager at times.

Georgia is way more talented than Michigan. And we saw how a game manager did against Alabama in the SEC title game.

I just don't think it works if you're goal is a title unless your team has an advantage in every other facet of the game.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 10:23 PM   #2253
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm just trying to think of the formula that has worked against Alabama and it's been having a highly skilled QB (Burrow, Watson, Lawrence) who can level the talent advantage that they have.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:29 PM   #2254
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Back Belue threw one pass in the game that won a national championship. Jordan Jefferson was really bad. AJ McCarron and Greg McElroy were just game managers. Nothing spectacular in their game.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 10:29 PM   #2255
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'm just trying to think of the formula that has worked against Alabama and it's been having a highly skilled QB (Burrow, Watson, Lawrence) who can level the talent advantage that they have.

Don’t forget to add Cardale Jones, Ohio State’s third string QB, who also defeated Alabama in a playoff game.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 10:41 PM   #2256
GrantDawg

The great Zach Calzada beat Alabama this year.

Old 12-31-2021, 10:46 PM   #2257
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Back Belue threw one pass in the game that won a national championship. Jordan Jefferson was really bad. AJ McCarron and Greg McElroy were just game managers. Nothing spectacular in their game.

McCarron & McElroy were now basically a decade ago. That's what I meant when I said I couldn't think of a worse QB to win a title off-hand.

And Jefferson didn't win one did he?
Old 12-31-2021, 10:57 PM   #2258
GrantDawg

Actually no. Jefferson beat Bama in the regular season but lost in the Championship game. He actually beat Bama twice before that game.

Old 12-31-2021, 11:07 PM   #2259
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

If your team is more talented than the other in just about every facet, you can win with a game manager. Michigan isn't doing that against a Georgia team that is far more talented.

That Ohio State team with Jones was maybe the most talented non-Alabama team to ever play in the CFP. McCarron and McElroy played for the most talented team in college football.

Even Alabama, a school that had tons of success putting in game managers has done a 180 on that strategy. We'll see if Georgia can do it, but I think it's real tough.
Old 12-31-2021, 11:32 PM   #2260
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If your team is more talented than the other in just about every facet, you can win with a game manager. Michigan isn't doing that against a Georgia team that is far more talented.

That Ohio State team with Jones was maybe the most talented non-Alabama team to ever play in the CFP. McCarron and McElroy played for the most talented team in college football.

Even Alabama, a school that had tons of success putting in game managers has done a 180 on that strategy. We'll see if Georgia can do it, but I think it's real tough.

I said it a few weeks ago, I'll say it again: if they win a title with that QB, it might just be the greatest coaching job / team achievement by a title winner in the history of sports. There were at least a dozen HS teams in Georgia alone this year where he'd have almost certainly been the backup.
Old 12-31-2021, 11:36 PM   #2261
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Heh, look what my Facebook Memories just gave me

Quote:
Jon Loveless
January 1, 2018

Prediction: Lincoln Riley is gone from OU within three season from now.
He's not just overmatched, he's Matt Luke/Derek Dooley level overmatched.
Feel free to quote me on this in four years if I'm wrong.
Old 01-01-2022, 12:09 AM   #2262
RainMaker
General Manager

Can someone explain to me who Marty Smith is? I feel like I'm out of the loop about how he got a bunch of major TV ads that constantly run during college football games.
Old 01-01-2022, 12:18 AM   #2263
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Can someone explain to me who Marty Smith is? I feel like I'm out of the loop about how he got a bunch of major TV ads that constantly run during college football games.

He's best known for his work on NASCAR coverage (since 2006), later his role was expanded to include the "Marty & McGee" podcast, which then got promoted to full time ESPN radio status (2015) and expanded further onto the SEC Network (2018). Has worked The Masters, all three Triple Crown races, and this year his first PGA C'ship.

Re-signed a multi year contract extension earlier in 2021
Old 01-01-2022, 12:22 AM   #2264
RainMaker
General Manager

Interesting. I remember seeing him do NASCAR stuff a long time ago but it felt like he burst on to the scene this year and is everywhere. Being a radio guy makes sense since I don't listen to much. Figured he is either good at his job or has a damn good agent.
Old 01-01-2022, 12:26 AM   #2265
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Interesting. I remember seeing him do NASCAR stuff a long time ago but it felt like he burst on to the scene this year and is everywhere. Being a radio guy makes sense since I don't listen to much. Figured he is either good at his job or has a damn good agent.

He's also early 40s, which I think they like to have as a demo for talent.

He's also (too frequently IMO) a bit of a shill for the various powers (kisses a LOT of nascar ass, as do virtually all of their reporters on that beat now that I think about it) so I'm sure he's quite the popular figure in HQ circles.

He's a good enough writer, turns out a 2-3 even damned good pieces a year, has a nice (faux IMO) "everyman" vibe to some of his work ... if "everyman" is a bit on the lightweight side, which they probably are now tbh.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:40 AM   #2266
QuikSand
lolzcat

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:54 AM   #2267
GrantDawg

Quote:
I said it a few weeks ago, I'll say it again: if they win a title with that QB, it might just be the greatest coaching job / team achievement by a title winner in the history of sports. There were at least a dozen HS teams in Georgia alone this year where he'd have almost certainly been the backup.
This is my point. Stetson Bennett is not a "game manager." He is a gunslinger. He is Baker Mayfield with less speed and arm. Game manger's don't do the dumb crap he does when under pressure. His 5 interceptions in two games versus Alabama is proof of that. He is fine if the team he is playing isn't able to harry him. But when the d-line is every bit as fast he is like Alabama, he is screwed.
Old 01-01-2022, 10:23 AM   #2268
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Just saw that UK is going to be down some guys including a couple important players thanks to late positive Covid results. Haven't seen any names yet.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:34 AM   #2269
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Just saw that UK is going to be down some guys including a couple important players thanks to late positive Covid results. Haven't seen any names yet.

Great. I wont be confident this game goes off until I see the ball in the air at opening kickoff.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 12:01 PM   #2270
Edward64
Head Coach

Hogs up 7-0 in early 2Q.

Our defense is doing well but offense isn't firing on all cylinders (yet).

EDIT: 7-7 now, blown pass coverage

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-01-2022 at 12:05 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 12:34 PM   #2271
Edward64
Head Coach

Frakking Barry Odom. Fortunate we are only down 7-10 but PSU is driving again.

Our defense is being shredded right now. Not getting enough pressure on the QB.

Need to do some 2H adjustments.
Old 01-01-2022, 12:52 PM   #2272
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa got there normal FG drive in. Down 7-3. Typical shitty offense. Thank god our OCs dad is the HC. What other 5th year OC would survive with the 123rd ranked offense?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 01:38 PM   #2273
Edward64
Head Coach

Hogs Up 24-10 primarily by running it.

Defense is doing a good job in 2H.
Old 01-01-2022, 02:20 PM   #2274
Edward64
Head Coach

Still at Hogs 24-10 with 5:30 left to go. Going to be 9-4.

We have our QB2 in there now to hand the ball and run and run. Looking forward to next year!

EDIT: We're first down inside the 10 with just under 2 min. And we are taking delay of game & taking the knee. Stay classy Sam, stay classy.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-01-2022 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-01-2022, 02:44 PM   #2275
bob
College Starter

ESPN: “Hey you guys want to see a commercial?”
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 03:16 PM   #2276
Edward64
Head Coach

OSU and Notre Dame is pretty entertaining. Apparently OSU has come back from 21 (or 23) down and now leads 31-28.

ND looks gassed, not able to stop the run.
Old 01-01-2022, 03:50 PM   #2277
Galaril
Pro Starter

ND blowing a 21 point lead late in the 2nd is so modern Notre Dame’s style LOL.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 05:34 PM   #2278
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Rose Bowl is cray cray
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 05:42 PM   #2279
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Rose Bowl is cray cray

The in game total is 98.5
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 07:48 PM   #2280
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Smith-Njigba has 335 receiving yards and 3 TDs. Insane.

Edit: 347

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 01-01-2022 at 07:49 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 07:52 PM   #2281
Jas_lov
College Starter

Did the Utah coach know that he had 3 timeouts? You weren't going to stop them but at least try.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:01 PM   #2282
markprior22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Iowa got there normal FG drive in. Down 7-3. Typical shitty offense. Thank god our OCs dad is the HC. What other 5th year OC would survive with the 123rd ranked offense?

Iowa needs a QB. They do pretty well at other positions but can't seem to land or develop a top tier QB. I think they were also missing their top RB today.

If I ever see Petras on a football field again, it will be too soon.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:02 PM   #2283
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Smith-Njigba has 335 receiving yards and 3 TDs. Insane.

Edit: 347

That third TD catch was crazy.
Old 01-01-2022, 08:19 PM   #2284
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Did the Utah coach know that he had 3 timeouts? You weren't going to stop them but at least try.

He had Utah +4.5
Old 01-01-2022, 08:38 PM   #2285
JPhillips
General Manager

Corral and, to a lesser degree, Linderbaum, are why it makes no sense for high draft picks to play in these exhibition games.
Old 01-01-2022, 08:41 PM   #2286
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Corral and, to a lesser degree, Linderbaum, are why it makes no sense for high draft picks to play in these exhibition games.

If they have no pride, no character, and no interest in anything but themselves, sure. Sometimes the most profitable thing isn't the right thing.

The only thing I'll ever hope for a healthy opt out is a CEI.
Old 01-01-2022, 08:45 PM   #2287
GrantDawg

I'm sure your opinion breaks their heart, Jon. They probably think of you with small tears in their eye as they count the millions of dollars they didn't lose getting hurt in a meaningless exhibition.

Old 01-01-2022, 08:51 PM   #2288
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm sure your opinion breaks their heart, Jon. They probably think of you with small tears in their eye as they count the millions of dollars they didn't lose getting hurt in a meaningless exhibition.

That's cool.

Doesn't make them any less loathsome.
Old 01-01-2022, 08:52 PM   #2289
Edward64
Head Coach

There should be some insurance the school can buy for players based on their projected draft round. And players can buy some additional if they want.
Old 01-01-2022, 08:55 PM   #2290
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It probably doesn’t matter much one way or the other. Some GMs probably like the “he’s got honor” bit from the guys who play. Some probably shy away from guys too stupid to realize they should sit.

But the best players are gonna get drafted in the same position no matter if they play or sit.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 01-01-2022 at 08:55 PM.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:55 PM   #2291
miami_fan
Coordinator

The world that those kids have grown up in, both within sports and outside of sports, have taught them that the most profitable thing is the only thing that matters. We have created language that ridicules those that do the right thing over the profitable thing.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:56 PM   #2292
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

There's an old joke that comes to mind.

About whether someone is / isn't a prostitute or merely haggling over the price.
Old 01-01-2022, 08:57 PM   #2293
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Also, corral is going to be fine. I think that a team who thinks he’s a franchise QB is not gonna let an ACL (assuming that’s what it is) scare them away.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:04 PM   #2294
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
If they have no pride, no character, and no interest in anything but themselves, sure. Sometimes the most profitable thing isn't the right thing.

The only thing I'll ever hope for a healthy opt out is a CEI.

One could say the right thing is making sure you do what you can to secure generational financial security for your family.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:05 PM   #2295
JPhillips
General Manager

I think it could make a pretty big difference for a guy like Corral. He's got a lot of questions about his passing ability and he won't have any way to show what he can do. If all that does s drop him into round 2, that's still a big loss of money.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:08 PM   #2296
JPhillips
General Manager

lol at Corral being listed as doubtful while he's on crutches and out of uniform.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:17 PM   #2297
GrantDawg

But it is not their money,,Jphillips. So what do they care? They just want the players to sacfice their futures for their entertainment. I'm sure their future landlords will accept their pride for playing in the Nokia Who Cares Bowl instead of money.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-01-2022 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:17 PM   #2298
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
The world that those kids have grown up in, both within sports and outside of sports, have taught them that the most profitable thing is the only thing that matters. We have created language that ridicules those that do the right thing over the profitable thing.

Nah, it's just propaganda by people with a vested financial interest in the kids playing (coaches, announcers, sponsors) or losers jealous that a 21 year old will make more money than they'll ever sniff in their lifetime.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:22 PM   #2299
GrantDawg

Heck, I can make the argument that it is better for the program in the long run for the kids that are leaving not to play. The biggest benefit for the program (besides the money) is the player's that are returning to get experience. Letting new players get in the game helps the program way more in the long run over playing the guys that are leaving.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-01-2022 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:29 PM   #2300
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Heck, I can make the argument that it is better for the program in the long run for the kids that are leaving not to play. The biggest benefit for the program (besides the money) is the player's that are returning to get experience. Letting new players get in the game helps the program way more in the long run over playing the guys that are leaving.

Then you'd have to admit that these are meaningless exhibition games and the jig would be up.

Good news is that it seems like a high ankle sprain. Maybe hurts his availability at combines and such, but unlikely to have much impact on his draft stock.