Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-11-2022, 11:31 AM   #2451
Edward64
Head Coach

So for 2022, Bennett or PJ?

I figure they'll have to do a two-QB scheme at least early in the season.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:41 PM   #2452
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Stetson Bennett's interview with GMA this morning really hit me from the way-back machine. Now I know what I looked like for those 8am classes on Thursday and Friday
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:03 PM   #2453
miami_fan
Coordinator

Nothing on Andrew Luck?

I am used to seeing former linemen shrink when they become analysts after they finish their careers. I was not prepared to see how small Luck looked compared to whenever I saw him when he was playing.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:22 PM   #2454
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

Don't overlook the presence of a pair of 5* QB on the roster beyond JT.

(If RS-Fr Vandagriff isn't in the mix from the jump, I'd figure he's gone. And true FR Stockton might actually be the best of the bunch. And that ignores 4* Carson Beck who probably never gets on the field again there unless he changes position)

edit to add: Stockton broke the state total TD (pass/rush) record this year, previously held by some obscure fella named Deshaun, broke the state passing TD record and just missed the state record for passing yards both held by some Trevor Lawrence fella. He put up over 3,000 pass AND 1,000 rush in each of his four seasons as a starter.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-11-2022 at 03:27 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:32 PM   #2455
RainMaker
General Manager

Kind of surprised by this. Felt like a pretty good match-up on paper although maybe playing a month prior hurt. Or that there really hasn't been a competitive college football game that mattered in some time.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:04 PM   #2456
cuervo72
Head Coach

TIRED OF WATCHING ALABAMA
Old 01-11-2022, 05:19 PM   #2457
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I have to imagine the cumulative SEC fatigue is hitting. At least when it was SEC vs another conference there was a clear team to root against. This year, if Alabama lost, the SEC still won.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-11-2022 at 05:19 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 06:25 AM   #2458
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:

There has been no confirmation at least that I know of if Stetson is coming back to play. He would be a fifth-year senior if he does. It wouldn't surprise me if stays as a GA. J.T. is almost definitely gone. That seems to be the general consensus of everyone around the program. Like Jon said, I think it will be a battle between RS Freshman Vandagriff and true Freshman Gunner Stockton. The more talented of the two looks to be Stockton so most likely it will be Vandagriff.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:18 AM   #2459
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
TIRED OF WATCHING ALABAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I have to imagine the cumulative SEC fatigue is hitting. At least when it was SEC vs another conference there was a clear team to root against. This year, if Alabama lost, the SEC still won.

Yep. I still tuned in hoping to see Bama lose.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:32 AM   #2460
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I've never understood the Alabama/SEC fatigue thing. I can see the idea of not liking a rematch, but otherwhise there's no point in hating on people for being successful.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 11:44 AM   #2461
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
There has been no confirmation at least that I know of if Stetson is coming back to play. He would be a fifth-year senior if he does. It wouldn't surprise me if stays as a GA. J.T. is almost definitely gone. That seems to be the general consensus of everyone around the program. Like Jon said, I think it will be a battle between RS Freshman Vandagriff and true Freshman Gunner Stockton. The more talented of the two looks to be Stockton so most likely it will be Vandagriff.

fwiw, I'm far too familiar with the older of those prospects (played here for HS hated rival). I'd say it comes down to what kind of offense they want to run.

While both have mobility skill, I'd say they're different in the type of running they contribute. Stockton is more of a designed runner IMO, his yards are more often on purpose. Vandagriff is more of an escape artist (one of the damnedest ones I've ever seen in HS), he'll appear sacked for a 15 yard loss and suddenly (and often inexplicably) he's 30 yards downfield with a first down. Both can do the other thing but to me they present different primary threats on the ground. (I do think Stockton is the better technical thrower though)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-12-2022 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:51 AM   #2462
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I've never understood the Alabama/SEC fatigue thing. I can see the idea of not liking a rematch, but otherwhise there's no point in hating on people for being successful.

Yeah, I just want to see the best possible matchup and it seemed pretty clear those were the 2 best teams in college football this year. I can understand if its a school like Notre Dame who will get clobbered, but this had all the makings of a great matchup.
Old 01-12-2022, 12:17 PM   #2463
Jstraub
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Kind of surprised by this. Felt like a pretty good match-up on paper although maybe playing a month prior hurt. Or that there really hasn't been a competitive college football game that mattered in some time.

Not surprising whatsoever. As I stated before, unless you are an alumni or live in the south (SEC territory specifically), then what would compel anyone to watch this? College football is broken. E$PN annoying overhypes it all, and rightfully so.

Two dominant teams, with superb talent up and down the roster played each other, AGAIN.
Jstraub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 12:29 PM   #2464
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post

It doesn't have to be hate, just a desire to see something/someone different. The Yankees were at one point unquestionably the best team (or top 2-3) in the league for over a decade, but I hoped they underperformed mostly because I was sick of seeing them in every postseason.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-12-2022, 12:48 PM   #2465
cuervo72
Head Coach

Tired of seeing the same good teams. Same with the Yankees of the 2000s (like Ksyrup says), the Patriots of the last 20 years. I don't like seeing teams (or players) dominate for too long. Have your window, then move on.

I won't watch the SB if it is Pats/TB, either. I reserve my right to hate on teams for being too successful, and I'm not beholden to leagues to watch their product.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:42 PM   #2466
GrantDawg

I do get the fatigue. It can be true in any sport. Heck, if Brady is in the Super Bowl again I am probably not going to watch. The NFL has become the same thing year after year.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:47 PM   #2467
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
fwiw, I'm far too familiar with the older of those prospects (played here for HS hated rival). I'd say it comes down to what kind of offense they want to run.

While both have mobility skill, I'd say they're different in the type of running they contribute. Stockton is more of a designed runner IMO, his yards are more often on purpose. Vandagriff is more of an escape artist (one of the damnedest ones I've ever seen in HS), he'll appear sacked for a 15 yard loss and suddenly (and often inexplicably) he's 30 yards downfield with a first down. Both can do the other thing but to me they present different primary threats on the ground. (I do think Stockton is the better technical thrower though)
That is the breakdown I get as well, but as much as they touted Bennett's ability to run I don't really think they favor a run-first guy. I think Vandagriff has the edge because he has been on campus for a year. If he has been working hard, then he is going to be the safer option which is what Kirby loves. I think Stockton has a much better upside. He would have to really come in and wow the coaches to have a chance to start, though.

Edit: Again, that presupposes that Vandagriff is working in the film room. I have seen guys before that look the part and really don't want to work. I have a feeling that might be the description of J.T. Daniels. There is just something about him that turns coaches off.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-12-2022 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:59 PM   #2468
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I do get the fatigue. It can be true in any sport. Heck, if Brady is in the Super Bowl again I am probably not going to watch. The NFL has become the same thing year after year.

There have been 12 different champions over the past 15 years in the NFL. Both the playoffs and Super Bowl has been fairly competitive over that stretch too. Not sure where you are seeing things the same year after year.

College has the same handful of teams at the top every year and they play maybe a couple of competitive games each season.

I thought the ratings would be higher because of the lack of competitive games being played. It's kind of like pro wrestling back in the day where you'd beat up a bunch of jobbers before putting on a big match. But maybe the lack of competitiveness at that level just turns off the general public completely.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:59 PM   #2469
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It isn't so much hate as just boredom.

I was into this game b/c I thought that UGA winning after 40 years was pretty neat.

But if it had been Alabama v. Clemson or Alabama v. Ohio State, I would have had a lot less interest. No dislike to those teams--just no real stakes in a game like that from an outsider perspective.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:34 PM   #2470
Ksyrup

I think I posted these numbers at some point. Eight years of the CFP, that's 32 possible slots. Of 32 spots, only 13 different programs have made it, and 4 of them have taken 21 of those 32 spots. Once you get to the championship game, that's 16 slots. Only 6 different programs have made the championship game and Alabama and Clemson account for 10 of the 16 alone (Ohio State and UGA twice, Oregon and LSU once).

That is probably a fair reflection of the relative strengths of programs in college football, but it kinda sucks. Regardless of TV and money (now NIL) creating some amount of parity, that parity seems to exist down stream. The top programs are largely the same ones every year. If Saban retires and Alabama falls off, perhaps it's UGA that becomes a CFP team on a yearly basis. It's definitely getting stale.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:53 PM   #2471
RainMaker
General Manager

I still think it would be best to split FBS up a bit. Maybe the P5 just have their own league where they only play each other. Doubt it gets much traction as the G5 and FCS schools make cheap fodder for the big programs that seem to be afraid to schedule real competition.

As it stands, it's tough to watch some of these bowl games and then the national title game and think they're both playing the same sport.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:49 AM   #2472
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
I won't watch the SB if it is Pats/TB, either. I reserve my right to hate on teams for being too successful, and I'm not beholden to leagues to watch their product.

Oh, you and everyone else has the right to hate on whatever you wish, but I think it makes a lot more sense to hate on the other teams who aren't knocking a team from their pedestal than it does the one that is winning. What are they supposed to do, lose on purpose?

I also think it makes a lot less sense to hate on a college program, given how often the players change. It feels to me like hoping an inferior team wins just because they're wearing a different uniform.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:38 AM   #2473
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That is the breakdown I get as well, but as much as they touted Bennett's ability to run I don't really think they favor a run-first guy. I think Vandagriff has the edge because he has been on campus for a year. If he has been working hard, then he is going to be the safer option which is what Kirby loves. I think Stockton has a much better upside. He would have to really come in and wow the coaches to have a chance to start, though.

Edit: Again, that presupposes that Vandagriff is working in the film room. I have seen guys before that look the part and really don't want to work. I have a feeling that might be the description of J.T. Daniels. There is just something about him that turns coaches off.

V'griff is a coach's son, so there's probably a +1 to his film room skill (and his father is an overbearing prick of the first order so I doubt he tolerated too much inattention tbh)

That said, in watching him for four years I felt like he was more athletic than cerebral, meaning I'd mark him as something like "average" in that aspect of the game.

The other side of the coin is Stockton who, honestly, has faced weaker average competition during his career despite playing one classification higher. I don't have a read (and haven't really heard much) on his work ethic but I'm not sure how accustomed to having to dig in he really is.

Stockton was 3-6 vs Top 10 opponents (regardless of class) for his career over four seasons. By comparison, V'griff was 6-1 against ranked teams in his senior year alone, 10-7 lifetime (one of those losses was the game he played more than a half on a broken leg). Think what I will of their program, they don't lack for a schedule most years.

It'll be an interesting battle, one I'm unreservedly hoping on a personal level that Stockton wins. (yes, even if him getting the job makes my most despised team better)

edit to add: I will note the difference in the coaching the pair have had thus far. In addition to his dad, BVg had (former La-Lafayette HC) Rickey Bustle as the OC his first year, and Jon Richt on staff his last year. Stockton was under the Shaw family tree, first veteran HC Lee Shaw and then (ex Ga Southern/GT QB) younger son Jaybo as his HC. Lee Shaw produced two college QBs from his family (the other son being Connor Shaw) and sent 4 others to colleges ranging from Gardner Webb to UNC

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-13-2022 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-13-2022, 05:43 AM   #2474
GrantDawg

Quote:
There have been 12 different champions over the past 15 years in the NFL. Both the playoffs and Super Bowl has been fairly competitive over that stretch too. Not sure where you are seeing things the same year after year.

College has the same handful of teams at the top every year and they play maybe a couple of competitive games each season.

I thought the ratings would be higher because of the lack of competitive games being played. It's kind of like pro wrestling back in the day where you'd beat up a bunch of jobbers before putting on a big match. But maybe the lack of competitiveness at that level just turns off the general public completely.
What? In the last 7 Super Bowls, Tom Brady has played in 5 of them. They should just rename it the Brady Bowl.
Old 01-13-2022, 02:20 PM   #2475
GrantDawg

Quote:

Alright, so we poo-pooed this earlier but now I am hearing J.T is likely returning, and Bennett is a strong possibility as well. Bennett plans on going to law school, so he would most likely have to put that off if he returns.
Old 01-13-2022, 02:30 PM   #2476
GrantDawg

Quote:

You know the miss-leading part of this is that it pulled nearly a 30 share. That means 30% of all televisions being watched were watching this. That is actually an outstanding number. The totals viewer numbers are just further proof there aren't as many TV watchers as there use to be.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:12 AM   #2477
Edward64
Head Coach

AP ranks the Hogs #21 at the end of the season, up from #22. A little disappointing.

The CFP was kinder to the Hogs during the season. Didn't realize/remember that they don't do a final poll after bowls.

Hogs have loss some solid veterans to the portal. So far, think its a net negative for us.

Ready to see how some Hogs do in the combine and draft.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:56 AM   #2478
GrantDawg

Quote:
AP ranks the Hogs #21 at the end of the season, up from #22. A little disappointing.

The CFP was kinder to the Hogs during the season. Didn't realize/remember that they don't do a final poll after bowls.

Hogs have loss some solid veterans to the portal. So far, think its a net negative for us.

Ready to see how some Hogs do in the combine and draft.
The portal is going to be one of those "wait and see" things. You lose talent, but you easily make it up by the transfers in. You really have to wait and assess. You might end up with better and more experienced replacements than those you lost.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:59 PM   #2479
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa extended KF until 2029. Yay.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:17 PM   #2480
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Iowa extended KF until 2029. Yay.

I heard that today and immediately thought "yeah, that's gonna be some FOFC fun"
Old 01-15-2022, 08:52 AM   #2481
GrantDawg

I am surprised we still haven't hear about Kirby's extension yet, but then they may be having a hard time finding enough trucks to bring in his signing bonus.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-15-2022 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:57 AM   #2482
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I heard that today and immediately thought "yeah, that's gonna be some FOFC fun"

On a positive note, it means his son wont be the HC any time soon. But it is 7 more years of offensive ineptitude.

Old 01-16-2022, 07:38 PM   #2483
GrantDawg

Edward, you see what I was saying about the portal? Arkansas is cleaning up.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2022, 08:11 PM   #2484
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Edward, you see what I was saying about the portal? Arkansas is cleaning up.

Don't know about cleaning up but doing well.

Also, our QB2 decided to return from the portal and that's great news.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:44 PM   #2485
tarcone
Coordinator

I wish Iowa would get a QB in FA. The problem is that Iowa's playbook is way to difficult to learn in one season.

Old 01-17-2022, 08:57 PM   #2486
GrantDawg

JT Daniel's will be available. He would work well in your system.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-17-2022 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:09 AM   #2487
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
I wish Iowa would get a QB in FA. The problem is that Iowa's playbook is way to difficult to learn in one season.

Really? Handoff left, handoff right, handoff up the middle. Pretty sure that could be knocked out by lunchtime.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:36 AM   #2488
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Really? Handoff left, handoff right, handoff up the middle. Pretty sure that could be knocked out by lunchtime.

It is hard to type sarcasm.

And really it is Zone run to the short side of the field. Get to 3rd and 6 and throw a 3 yard pass. Punt to flip the field and hope it is a great day for your defense.

Old 01-18-2022, 12:08 PM   #2489
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
It is hard to type sarcasm.

And really it is Zone run to the short side of the field. Get to 3rd and 6 and throw a 3 yard pass. Punt to flip the field and hope it is a great day for your defense.

LOL - my bad. But thanks for playing along and not calling me a troll
Old 01-19-2022, 11:56 AM   #2490
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

June Jones promises improved version of run-and-shoot if hired as Hawaii football coach | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Old 01-19-2022, 12:35 PM   #2491
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Why isn't Hawaii consistently a top team? I find it hard to believe you can't find 20 or so really good football players a year who wouldn't want to live there.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:43 PM   #2492
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Why isn't Hawaii consistently a top team? I find it hard to believe you can't find 20 or so really good football players a year who wouldn't want to live there.

Washington both sends a lot of kids out there and receives a lot of Hawaiian athletes (my son's Juco baseball team has 3-4 on scholarship) and a close friend of mine's daughter was recruited pretty heavily to play softball there. One, it's a good place to visit, but being on the island away from family isn't for everyone. Two, non-islanders have much more difficult time getting equal chances. That was the biggest warning my friend's daughter received from multiple people that had played there in different sports. It probably isn't as big of a deal with football since there aren't as many native Hawaiians on staff but there's still a massive amount of pressure to play native Hawaiians over others.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:53 PM   #2493
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Beaches, surfing > Football
Old 01-19-2022, 01:05 PM   #2494
Kodos
Resident Alien

I volunteer to play for Hawaii and never play a snap.
Old 01-19-2022, 01:13 PM   #2495
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

You could also ask why all the perfect SAT kids don't all take academic scholarships to go to UH, and why isn't it a top 10 academic school?

I think that as much as it is an island paradise, it is still a lot to ask 18 year olds to pick up and move somewhere that far away and that different.
Old 01-19-2022, 04:45 PM   #2496
GrantDawg

Shortly after Daniel's puts his name in the portal, Bennett announced he he us coming back. Oh well.

Old 01-20-2022, 08:35 AM   #2497
Swaggs
Coordinator

Do we think there is any legitimacy to the rumors that Harbaugh might jump back to the NFL, with the Raiders, if offered? I would think not, but some of the articles sort of imply that the paycut that Michigan made him take last summer left him more bitter than we realized.

It will be crazy if another blue blood head coaching job opens up this late in the season, given all the movement we have already seen among head coaching jobs this year.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:45 AM   #2498
Ksyrup

If they offer him something similar to what Gruden got, yes. Who wouldn't?
Old 01-20-2022, 08:51 AM   #2499
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Do we think there is any legitimacy to the rumors that Harbaugh might jump back to the NFL, with the Raiders, if offered? I would think not, but some of the articles sort of imply that the paycut that Michigan made him take last summer left him more bitter than we realized.

It will be crazy if another blue blood head coaching job opens up this late in the season, given all the movement we have already seen among head coaching jobs this year.

I'm a biased Buckeye slappy but now is the time if he ever wanted to go. I can't see his stock getting much higher. He finally beat Ohio State, made it to the playoffs, and even though he lost, no one is talking about his crap record in big games. UofM is losing Hutch and a few others and I don't think they reload like some teams can.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:05 AM   #2500
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

And he's 58. If he wants to jump back into the NFL, now is the time. Once he is over 60, there might be less eagerness for teams to grab him.