Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-16-2022, 10:55 AM   #2551
Cuckoo
College Starter

We just need a bench picture with him sitting next to OU players Joshua Eaton and Marcus Major...

Last edited by Cuckoo : 05-16-2022 at 10:55 AM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 03:44 PM   #2552
miami_fan
Coordinator

Division I Council waives initial counter scholarship limits in D-I football for two years
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 03:51 PM   #2553
Atocep
Coordinator

The wild west expands. The limits were needed and way overdue when they were implemented but with the portal it's become impossible for most schools to get anything close to 85 scholarships with the 25 per class limit.

Last edited by Atocep : 05-18-2022 at 03:51 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:05 AM   #2554
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Jimbo Fisher has chosen violence.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:19 AM   #2555
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

No idea who is "right" here. But people have been worshiping Saban for so long that it is kind of cool to see someone just come out there with "Fuck that fucking guy."
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:26 AM   #2556
miami_fan
Coordinator

Jimbo, Deion, et al are living rent free in Nick Saban's head.

Alabama football coach Nick Saban says Texas A&M 'bought every player,' questions whether current NIL model is sustainable

I don't even disagree with much of what he is saying. But it is a bit rich for Alabama's head football coach wishing the NCAA had more control over college football.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 05-19-2022, 11:46 AM   #2557
BYU 14
Coordinator

BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 12:22 PM   #2558
JPhillips
General Manager

Aren't they both right? A&M did buy their players, but that isn't against the rules anymore.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:32 PM   #2559
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, I mean the best rebuttal to this I’ve seen is asking how exactly a failed NFL head coach managed to sign the #1 class in the nation coming off a 7-6 season without doing exactly what he’s accusing Jimbo of, but hey ho. Saban obviously sees his reign at the top coming to an end if he doesn’t lobby for a less even playing field.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 12:41 PM   #2560
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

You spend your whole career learning to excel in a certain system with certain rules. Then something like the NIL comes in and flips the gameboard.

I can see why Jay Wright retired. I'm wondering if we will see a few more of the old guard follow. Better to leave on top.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 12:46 PM   #2561
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

I dont understand why Jimbo is making this personal. I watched the whole 7 minute "rant" and Saban did not say one thing that was incorrect. Like JPhillips said above, there arent rules against pay for play right now. aTm alums ponied up and paid for players. He needs to own that. Same with Deion. Any idiot can see that this model will wreck college football.

Last edited by HomerSimpson98 : 05-19-2022 at 12:47 PM.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 12:51 PM   #2562
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
No idea who is "right" here. But people have been worshiping Saban for so long that it is kind of cool to see someone just come out there with "Fuck that fucking guy."

yasssssssssss
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 02:18 PM   #2563
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
I dont understand why Jimbo is making this personal. I watched the whole 7 minute "rant" and Saban did not say one thing that was incorrect. Like JPhillips said above, there arent rules against pay for play right now. aTm alums ponied up and paid for players. He needs to own that. Same with Deion. Any idiot can see that this model will wreck college football.

You don't understand why somebody is pissed that the guy who is "allegedly" the one who has been illegally paying players for years comes out and attacks another coach for legally paying players? Feels like Saban made this personal first. I don't have any love for Jimbo but I'm 100% on his side here. Saban easily could have attacked the rule without bringing specific colleges into it. Especially when there's another team in his conference who is paying a 2023 QB $8m and his players all coincidentally seem to have brand new dodge chargers.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 03:06 PM   #2564
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Saban was, as usual, spot on.

That's what hurts the lowest of the low the most, he was on the money (so to speak)
Old 05-19-2022, 04:38 PM   #2565
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
You don't understand why somebody is pissed that the guy who is "allegedly" the one who has been illegally paying players for years comes out and attacks another coach for legally paying players? Feels like Saban made this personal first. I don't have any love for Jimbo but I'm 100% on his side here. Saban easily could have attacked the rule without bringing specific colleges into it. Especially when there's another team in his conference who is paying a 2023 QB $8m and his players all coincidentally seem to have brand new dodge chargers.

What good would it do to dance around the subject? Shit isnt illegal, let's get it out there. I'm an Aggie grad and Jimbo comes off sounding like a complete bitch. He should have just said "hey no rules anymore, our alum have oil money. We didnt break a single law." And thats it. Instead, he takes this personally and goes into this personal attack on Saban. Like him or not, Nick is the best there's ever been at the college level, and Fisher playing this childish game is sketchy at best. Shit, Jimbo's job should be on the fucking line. Outside of the Covid year, he's stolen $10M per year from us.

Last edited by HomerSimpson98 : 05-19-2022 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:27 PM   #2566
tarcone
Coordinator

Oh No! A non-blue blood has figured out how to beat us. Wah, wah, wah. Fuck you, Saban.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:33 PM   #2567
bronconick
College Starter

Saban was the first coach to boast about his QB getting a million $ NIL deal. He's basically telling Bama's boosters to open the checkbook wider under the guise of complaining about the game. He can continue to fornicate himself as far as I care.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:52 PM   #2568
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Saban was the first coach to boast about his QB getting a million $ NIL deal. He's basically telling Bama's boosters to open the checkbook wider under the guise of complaining about the game.
100% this. And I'm with Homer here - it's amusing and hypocritical when it's Nick Saban (or Lane Kiffin) saying it, but it's 100% true A&M boosters ponied up for the #1 class in the country, and while I'm sure there is some wink wink stuff the NCAA or SEC could try to slap them on the wrist for it's 100% legal for A&M boosters to pay for that.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:43 PM   #2569
RainMaker
General Manager

Saban upset he might have to play teams with equal talent. We saw how that worked out for him in the big leagues.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:57 PM   #2570
Edward64
Head Coach

I am going to enjoy watching the A&M vs Tide games.

My bet is on Saban coming out ahead. Coaching over recruiting stars any day.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 01:53 AM   #2571
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

"Recruiting" belong in quotation marks at this point .. unless it's now synonymous with "buying"
Old 05-20-2022, 02:05 AM   #2572
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
"Recruiting" belong in quotation marks at this point .. unless it's now synonymous with "buying"

Same difference to me. We know how the top tier SEC schools got their talent. It's just more transparent now.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:48 AM   #2573
GrantDawg

It was always buying. The difference now is how much is out in the open.

Old 05-20-2022, 08:59 AM   #2574
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
It was always buying. The difference now is how much is out in the open.

Bullshit. Not at this level.
Old 05-20-2022, 09:00 AM   #2575
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

Yeah, they'll whip our asses like they always do. I dont understand pissing off the biggest, baddest fucking dog in the pound

Last edited by HomerSimpson98 : 05-20-2022 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-20-2022, 11:32 AM   #2576
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Lots of eye rolls out the back of the heads of people in Tallahassee over Jimbo's "I don't lie" line. Not sure what's worse - paying for players or abandoning your program before a season starts and allowing it to die on the vine while you plan your get away. All of this was public posturing with a purpose that went well beyond the specifics of what they said about each other.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:06 PM   #2577
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

If you are to believe some coaches and fans you are absolutely right. Paying players never happened so yes, it would not be at this level.

The reaction to the openness does not make sense to me. I understand those that believe the players should not be getting paid. I disagree but I understand. But people being bothered that the boosters are telling us they are paying the players instead of having them "work" for the local car dealership doesn't make sense to me. Is it that we are clinging on to the idea that my favorite coach/school would never but our rivals always did? Are we shocked that linemen are getting paid and not just the skill positions?
Old 05-20-2022, 05:32 PM   #2578
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Everyone's selling something. Alabama sold players on playing for a team that's on national TV constantly. They sell their $20 million coaching staff and facilities that would make some NFL teams blush. A pipeline to a lucrative NFL career.

It's not like Alabama isn't playing the NIL game too.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:29 PM   #2579
GrantDawg

"At this level" as in money? No. But were players at major programs getting paid under the table? Absolutely.

Old 05-20-2022, 06:49 PM   #2580
tarcone
Coordinator

Jeez, aTms boosters buy the #1 class, while Iowas Booster got his nephew on the team as the punter. We cant even buy players right.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 01:10 PM   #2581
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Jimbo Fisher rants on Saban (parody)

Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:44 PM   #2582
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
The reaction to the openness does not make sense to me. I understand those that believe the players should not be getting paid. I disagree but I understand. But people being bothered that the boosters are telling us they are paying the players instead of having them "work" for the local car dealership doesn't make sense to me. Is it that we are clinging on to the idea that my favorite coach/school would never but our rivals always did? Are we shocked that linemen are getting paid and not just the skill positions?

I think it's just something that people didn't want to believe was happening as much as it obviously was. You can't convince yourself/pretend that way anymore. It feels different to have it be outright payment as opposed to 'like the campus/coach/atmosphere/location/academics/development potential' all of which are payment, just of a different kind. The 'mercenary' bit of it doesn't sit well, but I don't think it really changes all that much below the surface.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:52 PM   #2583
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I don't understand the idea that NIL has ruined college football. This has been the most entertaining offseason in college football that I have witnessed.
Old 05-21-2022, 06:35 PM   #2584
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I don't understand the idea that NIL has ruined college football. This has been the most entertaining offseason in college football that I have witnessed.

And it's pretty much the least interested I've been in college sports in 54 years on the planet.
Old 05-21-2022, 06:37 PM   #2585
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And it's pretty much the least interested I've been in college sports in 54 years on the planet.

Pourquoi?
Old 05-21-2022, 06:54 PM   #2586
GrantDawg

Even if there aren't rules put into place to cut back on some of the NIL madness, eventually much of it is going to calm down. Once boosters realize they can't just buy a National Championship, and many of the players they shell out so much money won't even play significant snaps for the schools they are supporting, the money will come down to earth.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 05-21-2022 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-21-2022, 08:36 PM   #2587
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Even if there aren't rules put into place to cut back on some of the NIL madness, eventually much of it is going to calm down. Once boosters realize they can't just buy a National Championship, and many of the players they shell out so much money won't even play significant snaps for the schools they are supporting, the money will come down to earth.

At some point a salary cap seems likely. And maybe that's how the split between college sports & pro sports actually comes about: with the cap also comes a salary floor.

That'll get it down to 2-3 dozen teams real fast, then maybe actual college athletics can start to return.
Old 05-21-2022, 10:18 PM   #2588
Swaggs
Coordinator

Granting immediate eligibility on transfers is a bigger problem to me. And doubly so at the same time as the NIL stuff.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 02:18 PM   #2589
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Granting immediate eligibility on transfers is a bigger problem to me. And doubly so at the same time as the NIL stuff.

100%, at best players should get 1 free transfer, after that they sit a year. Otherwise this will devolve into a battle of the most well funded alumni at the most prestigious institutions and the game will be more unbalanced than it is now.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:25 AM   #2590
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:

Nah, the next tiny dick bastard with too much money on his hands will step up and try it at the next school. I see lawsuits from donors to schools and maybe even kids themselves for ROI, breaches, money owed, etc. This is an endless cycle.
Old 05-23-2022, 09:43 AM   #2591
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I think it's just something that people didn't want to believe was happening as much as it obviously was. You can't convince yourself/pretend that way anymore. It feels different to have it be outright payment as opposed to 'like the campus/coach/atmosphere/location/academics/development potential' all of which are payment, just of a different kind. The 'mercenary' bit of it doesn't sit well, but I don't think it really changes all that much below the surface.

I dont disagree with this and I am not naive to think there wasnt some $100 handshakes and all that. The Reggie Bush thing was stinky as was the Clowney and Ole Miss/Hugh Freeze things. But those were clear violations of enforceable rules and they got punished for them. And I really dont think it was THAT prevalent in the world. I've known several kids/parents of kids that went to play D1 ball and it wasnt rampant. Yeah, there was some shady shit for sure. But not kids pulling down $500K-$1M for just being a talented high school senior.

And I do think the "mercenary" bit DOES change alot below the surface, on top of the surface, everywhere. It destroys/cheapens dang near everything that makes college football great. As students, we went to class with these players, struggled with classwork together, scrounged pennies with them for beer money, as we were kids just trying to get by and get through. Hard for that to occur now with this kind of money.
Old 05-23-2022, 02:23 PM   #2592
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
As students, we went to class with these players, struggled with classwork together, scrounged pennies with them for beer money, as we were kids just trying to get by and get through. Hard for that to occur now with this kind of money.

If your enjoyment of a product is based on whether the participants are poor enough for your liking, you may have some messed up priorities.
Old 05-23-2022, 02:38 PM   #2593
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I'm all for these kids getting paid whatever the market says they should be and allowing them the freedom to go to whatever school offers them the best chance to further their career - be it a professional football career or in some other field. For far, far too long colleges, NCCA, networks, coaches, and more have profited on their hard work and talent.

This is likely going to be put my favorite program - Michigan - even further behind the big time programs, but I'm fine with that.

It will be really interesting to see how all of this plays out over the next few years.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 03:17 PM   #2594
bob
College Starter

I think its perfectly reasonable to have the dual opinions that:

1) Kids should be able to be paid whatever the market will provide.
2) The current wild west is going to decrease my personal enjoyment of the sport.

Now, you can argue screw my opinion #2, but if it happens to enough people, whatever the market will provide will go down.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 03:38 PM   #2595
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

2) The current wild west is going to decrease my personal enjoyment of the sport.

Now, you can argue screw my opinion #2, but if it happens to enough people, whatever the market will provide will go down.

I agree. It will be interesting to see how this impacts the popularity of the sport. Once the season begins, it's fall, it's Saturday, the bands are playing, and all of that will all of this NIL and transfer portal stuff really matter?

There are really only a very small number of teams each year that seem to have any kind of legit shot at a National Championship and it tends to largely be the same small number of elite programs. I think NIL and the transfer portal won't change that all too much, but it may just shift which colleges make up that small number of elite schools.

All of a sudden you have potential power houses - at least in the near term - in USC and Texas A&M, neither of which has been in the national championship discussion in many, many years.

This will likely hurt Michigan. They don't seem to be too terribly onboard with this at the moment. Their current recruiting class is far from impressive.

I don't mind that chaos a bit and am interested to see how it all shakes out.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 03:39 PM   #2596
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
If your enjoyment of a product is based on whether the participants are poor enough for your liking, you may have some messed up priorities.

Boo hoo hoo my ass.

These pampered bitches are getting an opportunity that literally millions would die (or kill) to have. And that's just the free ride to school part of it.

I'm 100% fine with someone starting a semi-pro league, a minor league, the NFL opening their doors wide, whatever. Don't care if they get paid, just not at the expense of the complete destruction of college sports. That shit belongs somewhere else.
Old 05-23-2022, 03:57 PM   #2597
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

well said
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:00 PM   #2598
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Yeah fuck that. You missed my point
Old 05-23-2022, 04:00 PM   #2599
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
well said

bob said it better than i did - very much agree
Old 05-23-2022, 04:38 PM   #2600
Atocep
Coordinator

The original intent of NIL was to make money off your name, image, and likeness; jerseys, shoes, video games, commercials, ads, ect. It's so far beyond that it's simply become pay to come to our school and ransom (in some cases) to stay at the school.

The system will either end up regulated or die because what's going on right now isn't sustainable. My overall interest in college sports is probably the lowest it's been in my lifetime and the NIL is only a small part of it. When you combine the current version of NIL that we're seeing plus free transfers it kills a big part of what made college sports fun. Following these athletes and their development as they represented your school was what made college sports fun for me. When we're seeing 30% of a sport's athletes transfer, and in many cases they're multi-year starters, just to make more money at another school it's laughable to even call this NIL anymore.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote