Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-29-2018, 02:19 PM   #501
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
Since we're on the subject of dining plans: We want to do the Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show/Luau which would cost 2 table-service (?) meals off of the dining plan. If we purchase the Regular Dining Plan which includes only 1 table-service per day, would going to the luau take from a table service credit of another day?

JiMGA answered that but if you want to eat at the Polynesian I would highly recommend 'Ohana. It's a tough reservation to get but IMO its the best meal on property. You start with salad, chicken wings, pot stickers and veggies - then all the skewered grilled steak, chicken and shrimp you can eat and an amazing bread pudding for desert. Plus if you're going in January it might be cold to spend a couple hours outside at the Luau - if you time it right and have dinner at 'Ohana you can watch the fireworks at MK while you're eating dinner (ask for a window seat)
Old 08-29-2018, 03:03 PM   #502
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
Plus if you're going in January it might be cold to spend a couple hours outside at the Luau - if you time it right and have dinner at 'Ohana you can watch the fireworks at MK while you're eating dinner (ask for a window seat)

Actually my trip will be in June 2019. Lathum is going in January.
AnalBumCover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:11 PM   #503
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Actually my trip will be in June 2019. Lathum is going in January.

Your welcome to come along!

Looking at the final price I'll likely need an Analbumcover
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:17 PM   #504
Capital
High School Varsity

Prices have gotten insane. I just priced a 5 night moderate hotel (no discounts, which there will be some) with mid tier dining - $3,500. That's before any travel. Ouch.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:21 PM   #505
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post
Prices have gotten insane. I just priced a 5 night moderate hotel (no discounts, which there will be some) with mid tier dining - $3,500. That's before any travel. Ouch.

Revenue increased 6 percent to $5.2 billion for the quarter that ended June 30. Operating income rose 15 percent to $1.34 billion. Disney said the increase was driven by higher guest spending amid increased ticket prices and hotel room rates. .... Attendance at Disney's domestic parks was up 1 percent in the quarter. Disney said occupancy was down 2 percent at the hotels due to reduced inventory and refurbishments.

I fear we have awakened a sleeping giant too. If we think it's gotten crazy now, just wait til SW Land is done.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-29-2018 at 03:24 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:33 PM   #506
Capital
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Revenue increased 6 percent to $5.2 billion for the quarter that ended June 30. Operating income rose 15 percent to $1.34 billion. Disney said the increase was driven by higher guest spending amid increased ticket prices and hotel room rates. .... Attendance at Disney's domestic parks was up 1 percent in the quarter. Disney said occupancy was down 2 percent at the hotels due to reduced inventory and refurbishments.

I fear we have awakened a sleeping giant too. If we think it's gotten crazy now, just wait til SW Land is done.

No doubt about that. One of the reasons to go is that there's plenty new for us to see before the SW Land launch - as it's been a few years for us.

Economy is on a major role therefore there's plenty of money to spend on entertainment.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:11 PM   #507
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Our agent made some reservations for us. Nothing is set in stone, she just wanted to grab some of the more in demand places for us. Would love thoughts on anyone about them.

T-Rex Dinner- marketplace in Disney Springs

Fairytale Dining Breakfast at Cinderella's Royal Table

Coral Reef Restaurant - Future World - Epcot- Dinner

Be Our Guest Breakfast - QSR- Be Our Guest Restaurant

Ohana Dinner

Chef Mickey's Fun Time Buffet Breakfast at Chef Mickey's

Minnie's Seasonal Dine at Hollywood & Vine Dinner Fantasmic!

Yak & Yeti Restaurant Dinner
Old 08-30-2018, 08:22 PM   #508
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Our agent made some reservations for us. Nothing is set in stone, she just wanted to grab some of the more in demand places for us. Would love thoughts on anyone about them.

Ohana Dinner

Coral Reef is damned solid as a meal plan location. Surf n' turf was quite good, pretty much everything was good as I recall. It was a last night dinner for us a few trips back & while not my first choice for that (we hold that meal in pretty serious regard each trip), I wouldn't hesitate to do it again even in that premier position.

Mickey's Breakfast probably comes down to how you feel about WDW buffets. I like it fine, though I will say it is probably the most hectic -- almost frazzled at times even -- of any character dining we ever did (and I think we covered pretty much all of them over the years aside from some specialty resort stuff). Unless they've remodeled/reorganized the room, the combination of early hours + lots of traffic to & fro the food and rather large costumed characters results in a number of near misses. Closest comparison I can think of is Crystal Palace, which now does breakfast apparently conveniently enough. Here's a video I stumbled across that compares the two, strictly fwiw, I'm unfamiliar with the YT'er.

I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that I found Ohana to have declined from one visit to the next a few years back. I've seen comments through those years & beyond that it's still inconsistent but of course YMMV. It's probably the weakest thing I see here, or at least second weakest.

Hollywood & Vine never impressed me, though the options for the Fantasmic package (which is a fairly good way to handle that dinner/show) are pretty limited so it might be a case where the so-so dining is made up for by the seating benefits.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:40 AM   #509
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:

Ohana Dinner

As I stated Ohana is my favorite meal on the property so I'm a huge fan there. T-Rex is nothing special IMO - it's Rainforest Cafe with dinosaurs which is still a fun idea but its something you can experience elsewhere. Never done CRT. Coral Reef is excellent - good food and a very unique dining atmosphere. BoG is a very cool place to eat but never tried breakfast. Haven't done CM for breakfast either but dinner was like JiMGA said - its just kind of chaotic and the food was just meh BUT if you do want to see characters it is a good way to do it without wasting park time. Hollywood and Vine (and basically all the character buffets) same thing - food just ok but a chance to see the characters and we've never dined at Y&Y.

EPCOT is by far the strongest for dining locations - there are so many good ones in World Showcase there. We also like the Sci-Fi Drive In at Hollywood Studios quite a bit - great burgers and a fun atmosphere.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:02 AM   #510
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Never done CRT.

It's pretty cool in terms of atmosphere. I didn't comment on it cause we've only done the non-character lunch, which was fine. About the toughest get (along with Skipper's Canteen) I've seen for dining.

Quote:
EPCOT is by far the strongest for dining locations - there are so many good ones in World Showcase there. We also like the Sci-Fi Drive In at Hollywood Studios quite a bit - great burgers and a fun atmosphere.

Ah Sci-Fi, which I think we've done more than any other restaurant. The food is probably among the weakest but it's become a family tradition that would just feel wrong to skip.

And +1 to the general Epcot observation. Marakesh is sneaky good, and fun.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:00 AM   #511
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
It's pretty cool in terms of atmosphere. I didn't comment on it cause we've only done the non-character lunch, which was fine. About the toughest get (along with Skipper's Canteen) I've seen for dining.

Ah Sci-Fi, which I think we've done more than any other restaurant. The food is probably among the weakest but it's become a family tradition that would just feel wrong to skip.

And +1 to the general Epcot observation. Marakesh is sneaky good, and fun.

If Marakesh is the one in Morocco, I can vouch for that. That was my best meal at Disney.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:38 AM   #512
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
If Marakesh is the one in Morocco, I can vouch for that. That was my best meal at Disney.

Yep, that's it.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:25 AM   #513
miked
College Starter

So we are pulling the cord and going to Universal and Islands of Adventure in early December (lower crowds) and staying at the Lowes Royal Pacific for 3 nights. Wife wants to upgrade to the club level for $100/day to have access to complimentary breakfast, snacks, happy hour, and more, which is fine. Did anyone get the meal plan? I have a 5 year old and a 9 year old that don't necessarily eat a ton, but probably enough.

The express meal plan includes what seems to be park food (lunch) and for the kids it would essentially be a lunch and snack for $17. Is that saving anything from buying a lunch and snack in the park? I mean, my kids will likely eat chicken fingers or a burger/grilled cheese and some ice cream. For adults it's $25 but it seems like the same choices. Not sure I can eat $25 worth in the park if we are loading up on free breakfast, free snacks, and free happy hour. Thoughts?
Old 10-22-2018, 10:06 AM   #514
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Headed out in early November. Wife has a conference, so we get free hotel, flights, and her meals. Getting out there just in time to catch the tail end of the food/wine festival.

We're also doing one day of the VIP tour, where a Disney host basically takes you anywhere you want to go and you bump straight to the front of the lines with no waiting. Probably going to do Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom that day. Thanks to one of our friends, we landed a tour guide that does the tours for all the TV/movie stars when they come to Disney, so we should get to hear lots of good stories.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:19 AM   #515
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Can't believe it has been over 3 months since I posted about the trip. Looks like we have everything about set and leave 4 weeks from Saturday. Final payment due today, fun thing to shell out 5 days before Xmas.

So here is what we have lined up, would love thoughts. 8 year old boy and 5 year old girl.

We are staying at Animal Kingdom, Savannah suite, Kidani village, We have requested a room close to the lobby, and as my mother in law is handicap have been assured we will get one. We arrive on a Saturday

Sunday- Magic Kingdom- Doing breakfast at Cinderellas Royal Table
- Fastpasses for- Pirates of CaribbeanJungle Cruise, Buzz Lightyear Spaceranger spin.
- We are also doing a dessert partywith plaza garden viewing for the fireworks. This came highly recommended from our travel agent.

Monday- Epcot- Fastpasses for Spaceship Earth, Frozen Ever After, The seas with Nemo
- Diner- Coral Reef Restaurant

Tuesday- Magic Kingdom-
- Be Our Guest Breakfast
- Fast PAsses- 7 Dwarfs mine train, under the sea, little mermaid, Enchanted tales with Belle
- Diner- Happily Ever After at 1900 park fare

Wednesday- Chef Mickeys fun time buffet breakfast then no parks that day. May do Disney springs, pool, etc...

Thursday-
hollywood Studios- fast passes- Star Tours, Slinky dog dash, Beauty and the beast live on stage

- diner- Minnies seasonal dine at Hollywood and Vine

Friday- Animal Kingdon

- Fastpass- Avatar flight of passage, Kilimanjaro Safaris, Meet favorite disney pals at adventure outpost

Dinner- Yak and Yeti

I feel like we get a nice mix of rides and character stuff. My kids aren't the crazy ride adventurous type and prefer the characters.

Would love the thoughts of Disney vets.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:30 AM   #516
Butter
Coordinator

You absolutely do not need a fastpass for Beauty and the Beast, unless you want to sit in a specific area. It's a stage show with lots of seating, if you show up just 15 minutes before the show, you'll be ahead of 80% of people.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:42 AM   #517
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
You absolutely do not need a fastpass for Beauty and the Beast, unless you want to sit in a specific area. It's a stage show with lots of seating, if you show up just 15 minutes before the show, you'll be ahead of 80% of people.

I think that was one where there really wasn’t anything else the kids were crazy about so we just grabbed that one.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:49 AM   #518
Butter
Coordinator

Yeah, makes sense. I've done that too.

I think good call on the character meet & greet fastpasses. My kids outgrew those a while back before it was a fastpass option, but those all get mobbed.

I really liked Coral Reef even though I'm not a seafood guy. Good ambiance for Disney.

I think anything with private fireworks viewing is a win also, because that mess gets so crowded it's hard to move when you are out on Main Street.

Have fun, hopefully low crowds with it being January, but more and more I hear there are almost no low crowds times anymore.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:11 AM   #519
AnalBumCover
College Starter

It was recommended to me here (back on page 8) to watch the Star Wars fireworks show at Hollywood Studios. It's a can't miss. It was by far the best fireworks show I've ever seen.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #520
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So here is what we have lined up, would love thoughts. 8 year old boy and 5 year old girl.

Aight, lemme see here

AK Lodge is pretty cool stuff.

Sunday: seems squared away.

Monday: not sure I'd burn an advanced Fastpass on Spaceship Earth. Cool ride, but more often than not the line isn't awful. It can be a 2hr deal but more often it's under 30min. Coral Reef is good eats, neat atmosphere & look, though maybe have a backup plan to keep the young ones occupied. It's ... peaceful, which can sometimes = boring for younger ages.

Tuesday: Seems right for the age of the kiddos to me.

Wednesday: Fair warning: Chef Mickey's breakfast is ... chaotic? Don't get me wrong, I personally enjoy it (very Shoney's breakfast bar food-wise) but it's tougher than most with regard to autograph book signing & photo ops with the characters. They'll come around but between refilling plates, very close quarters on the tables & the buffet, etc. it's easy to end up with one parent suddenly trying to deal with the character's arrival at the table while the other is trapped in a sea of people all determined to get more bacon.
And Disney Springs was almost shockingly fun for us last year.

Thursday: Fair warning, H&V is one of the weaker dining experiences I've had at WDW. Minnie & Friends presence may outweigh that (which is totally understandable) but just know that it traditionally ain't great food-wise.

Friday: yeah, you hit the biggie with an Avatar FP. Yak & Yeti might be a bit adventurous for your kid's palates (though they do have basic cheeseburger). AK is a tough one for dining IMO, just not a lot of great choices there. Last year at least the counter service area had most of the same food as Y&Y so maybe there's an option to flip that sit-down meal into something at a resort and just graze those at the park.

Quote:
I feel like we get a nice mix of rides and character stuff. My kids aren't the crazy ride adventurous type and prefer the characters.

I literally can't tell you how many autograph books we have filled so I totally feel ya on the high priority for characters. Make sure to check out the character opportunities at Epcot, and keep an eye out for impromptu chances. (Googling says three possible locations for those pop-up/rehearsal sightings: International Gateway area near the shop; American Adventure off to the left near huge gate as you face the pavilion, and World Showplace.
I think we cleared as many as a dozen like that a couple of times)

The other thing I'd recommend is being a "Hidden Mickey" fan. Good ages for that with your pair.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:50 AM   #521
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Forgot to mention this. Had two separate room issues during our stay in November (broken pipe in one room and booted from our second room to a different room to accommodate a VIP guest). Long story short, we ended up getting comped a 7 day, 6 night stay in 2019 at any on-site resort of our choosing with 7 day park hopper passes included for the entire family. So I guess we're going to Disney next year.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #522
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Forgot to mention this. Had two separate room issues during our stay in November (broken pipe in one room and booted from our second room to a different room to accommodate a VIP guest). Long story short, we ended up getting comped a 7 day, 6 night stay in 2019 at any on-site resort of our choosing with 7 day park hopper passes included for the entire family. So I guess we're going to Disney next year.

Daaaaamn, they felt like they REALLY f'ed up.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:18 PM   #523
Capital
High School Varsity

We're going in February and have been trying for 2 weeks to get Slinky Dog and have come up short - at least for now. So, congrats on that one. Also, congrats on Avatar - I was able to get that one but it's a tough one as well.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:33 PM   #524
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post
We're going in February and have been trying for 2 weeks to get Slinky Dog and have come up short - at least for now. So, congrats on that one. Also, congrats on Avatar - I was able to get that one but it's a tough one as well.

FYI......We did the standby line on Slinky twice on a couple of the days. We did it around 5:30-6:00 each time and only had to wait 50 minutes each time. Think that dinner time really cut down the line. Plus the stand by line theme work is AMAZING.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:35 PM   #525
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Daaaaamn, they felt like they REALLY f'ed up.

It wasn't terrible, but having three different rooms in six days was a bit excessive. My understanding is that the VIP was being a real pain in the ass and not willing to take any handouts to change their arrangements, so they tossed a bunch of stuff to us just so they could keep the VIP happy.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:35 PM   #526
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
It wasn't terrible, but having three different rooms in six days was a bit excessive. My understanding is that the VIP was being a real pain in the ass and not willing to take any handouts to change their arrangements, so they tossed a bunch of stuff to us just so they could keep the VIP happy.

I read this and all I think is Disney should say fuck tht VIP. Is your money any different than theirs?

I don't care who you are, to kick someone out of their room for someone else is screwed up.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:56 AM   #527
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
I read this and all I think is Disney should say fuck tht VIP. Is your money any different than theirs?

I don't care who you are, to kick someone out of their room for someone else is screwed up.

I agree but we all know that Disney or any other major company isn't going to tell a VIP that. Can't risk them running to Instagram or Twitter to complain to their followers that Disney is a terrible place.

You should have held out for more MBBF - like free dining and a stay in the bungalows at the Polynesian
Old 12-24-2018, 07:23 AM   #528
cougarfreak
College Starter

Disney Vacations

I’m here for our third Christmas in a row. Having a great time. Looking forward to Rose and Crown for lunch the the Candlelight Processional.

Has anyone experienced the Processional? I have reserved seating with the dining package. Starts at 6:45. How early, if at all do I need to get there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by cougarfreak : 12-24-2018 at 07:23 AM.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:54 PM   #529
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Any tips for best viewing locations (and how early to get there)?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:50 PM   #530
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Viewing for what?
Old 01-21-2019, 05:00 PM   #531
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Weird, thought I quoted the Star Wars fireworks comment above.

But yeah, Star Wars display at Hollywood Studios.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:27 AM   #532
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just got back from Disney World so I figured I would write a trip report.

First thing I have to say is wow. The magic is real and it is easy to get caught up in it. I can see why people make so many return visits. Everything is so streamlined, 99% of the staff friendly, and literally no stone goes unturned. We had an amazing time.

My wife and 2 kids went, 8 year olf boy and 5 year old girl. My In- Laws came as well. Father in law in good health, Mother in law poor health and has to use a scooter. She had a heart transplant 10 years ago and is starting to really slow down. The park employees were always so accommodating with her.

My son has Aspergers and struggles with lines. We got a letter from his doctor, and were able to get a disability access card. I think this likely increased the overall enjoyment exponentially. Basically it acts as an unlimited fast pass. We have our usual 3, then any ride he wants to go on they scan his band and give us a return time. He can only do that one at a time, and he has to go on the ride. Again the staff was amazing, never making us feel like we were taking advantage. Often times they would let us right on.

The crowds are overwhelming, and apparently it wasn't even a busy time. Easily the most mentally draining part of the whole experience.

I love the sit down restaurants in the park. I think it is really cool how behind the theme park facade is this great restaurant you would never know about. Plus it is a nice break from the crowd.

Stayed at Animal Kingdom, Kidani Village with a Savannah suite. The look on my kids faces when they saw the animals off the balcony was worth the price alone. We were a bit far from the lobby, but close to Jambo house which worked out. Resort was nice. Likes the quick service place at Jambo house. Buses were easy, never had too long a wait on either end.

We went from Sat-Sat

Saturday- Arrival, everything went so smooth. took the magic express. No issues. Went to Disney Springs that night. Had dinner at Planet Hollywood. Was good, what you would expect. Walked around a bit. Got kids ice cream, etc...was stupid crowded. Visited Lego Store, the big disney store, a few others.

Sun/ Tuesday- grouping these together as we did Magic Kingdom for both. Sunday we did breakfast at Cinderellas royal table. Was really fun, daughter loved it. Got to meet a bunch of princesses which was cool. My son and I were in the park early and got to see the little show they do when they open the park. Did a bunch of rides. Tea Cups, Jungle Cruise, barnstormer, the treehouse, magic carpets, and Pirates. Did Buzz lightyear space ranger spin twice and Monsters Laugh floor twice which my son loved. Met a lot of characters, that is the kids favorite part. Alice, fairy godmother, the stepsisters, Jack Sparrow to name a few. Wife took the 5 year old back for a rest since we were doing fireworks that night. In laws went back for the night.

Did quick service diner at Pinocchios, was underwhelming, but did the job. Met up with wife and did the carousel then had tickets for fireworks dessert party with garden viewing. Basically all you can eat desserts at tommorowland terrace, then private viewing in the garden outside. Fireworks and the show on the castle were amazing.

Tuesday we had breakfast at Belle and Beasts castle. Was really good for quick service. We then met some more characters. Merida was pretty cool, also met Stitch, tiger, pooh, rapunzal, and a few others. Did Enchanted tales with Belle. Was great. I got to be a suit of armor, kids loved that. Also do it's a small worlds, 7 dwarfs mine train twice, dumbo, and probably others I am forgetting.

We did dinner that night at Jungle Cruise Skippers Cantina. Was awesome. Loved it. Food was great and the server was really fun.

In between we did Epcot on Monday. This was probably my least favorite of the parks. I think if it was just my wife and I would have really enjoyed it, but the kids were pretty meh on it. My son bailed on Mission Space, he got freaked out, so my wife and daughter did it. We all did Spaceship earth which was cool. Soarin was amazing as was the Frozen ride, especially with a 5 year old girl. We also met Wreck it Ralph, Venelope, Joy and Sadness, all in the same building which was efficient. Other charecters we met Anna and Else, Mulan, and a few others. My son LOVED the aquarium and Turtle Talk with Crush, and dinner at the Coral Reef was awesome. We also did the seas with Nemo and friends and had lunch in the same building as Soarin, lunch was ok. I really liked the different countries and would have enjoyed spending more time in each one.

Wednesday we didn't do any parks. We did have the breakfast at Chef Mickeys at the Contemporary. That was neat and a great chance to meet lots of characters. Kids loved it and the food was really good.

Rest of that day at the resort doing activities. Decorate your own cookie, trivia, pool time, watch for animals, dinner at the quick serve at Jambo house was good.

Thursday we did Hollywood Studios. We all loved it. We hit all the rides in Toy Story land and loved them all. We did Slinky Dog twice. The little area for the Incredibles is fun, saw a couple shows with Frozone and the Incredibles. Edna was doing greeting which was cool because she wasn't listed on the app. We also met Woody, JEsse, and Buzz and watched the Green Army Men. Saw the Beauty and the Beast show and liked that. Star Tours was awesome. The Indian Jones Stunt show was neat, but my kids had a bit of trouble grasping it. Had diner at Hollywood and Vine. Easily my least favorite. Options were limited and quality was poor. The benefit was the characters and VIP seating for Fantasmic, which was absolutely incredible. Next visit will be even better as Lightening McQueens racing academy and Star Wars land should be opened.

Friday we did Animal Kingdom. It is a really cool park and the only one I had been to before this trip. We met a few characters first. Pocohontas, Dug and Russell, and Scrooge McDuck. It was then time for the big one, fast pass for Avatar. My wife wasn't with us, as she had lost her license and had to go to Disney Springs to luckily retrieve it. We went through the line and in to the first room where you get your "briefing" This was when it started to go south. My 8 year old, who has Aspergers and get very anxious, basically melted down from all the build up. He loved Soarin and I tried to reason with him, but he was having none of it. His sister then fed off this and by the time we were through to the next room both were in full blown melt downs and refusing to ride. My MIL offered to take them, but I felt as their father I should go with them, so we literally walked past the mounts and off the ride. Not going to lie, I was disappointed and a bit angry at how irrational he was, but had to remind myself he can't help it, and I am not one of these parents who drags their kids screaming on to a ride.

after that fiasco I was wound up, but we had to move on! Wife met us at the exit and we did the safari ride, which we all loved. Met a few more characters, chip and dale, Launchpad McQuack, and a few others. Had lunch at Restaurantasaurous, which was really good and the online ordering is so convenient. My son and I rode Primeval Whirl and we watched the Nemo show. Also did some Wilderness Explorers stuff and saw some animals. Wife and I were able to snag 2 fastpasses for Everest while the In Laws stayed with kids. Was awesome, really fun ride. We did dinner at Yak and Yeti and really enjoyed it.

Saturday we headed home, all in agreement that it was an amazing trip. We had the usual bumps in the road that any family would have, kids ate too much crap and slept too little, but we are all better for having done the trip together.

Already talking about next time. May do a Disney Cruise, which we have done before, and go a few days early to do a couple of park days. Then another full trip in 2 years. Would love to stay at Star Wars hotel. Wilderness Lodge also seems like it would be cool, and the kids seemed really into the Art of Animation resort.

all in all an amazing trip, one I now need a vacation from.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:34 AM   #533
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Apologies for all the typos and random caps, I did most of this late last night and was exhausted.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:12 AM   #534
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Did quick service diner at Pinocchios, was underwhelming, but did the job.

Pretty much the description of any of the larger quickserv spots. Insanity pricing and an eight-ring circus to find a table, navigate with food, and noisier than all the thrill rides put together.

Next trip maybe try Cosmic Ray's. Same madness, same meh food but at least you get a floor show (if it isn't down for refurb)

edit to add: it's just one of those things you gotta do sometimes. If you get burgered-out next trip, maybe throw Columbia Harbor House in. Same downsides but at least the food is different

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-27-2019 at 11:15 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:21 AM   #535
digamma
Torchbearer

Great report, Lathum.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:20 PM   #536
BigDPW
College Prospect

Going on our first Disney Cruise in April this year with the kids, grandparents, and my sisters family. Any tips, suggestions, stories?

We love the disney world experience and are looking forward to the cruise.
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:14 PM   #537
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

How old are the kids?
Old 01-27-2019, 07:15 PM   #538
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
How old are the kids?

My boys are 10 and 12. Nieces are 14 and 12. Nephew is 8.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:39 PM   #539
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post

Hmm. I won't be of much help. My kids are younger.

I wold say go to the shows, they are all really great. With that age group of kids I would do a late dinner seating, will give you more time on excursions, etc...Book those in advance, they fill up. Which ship/ itinerary are you on?

The pools are a shit show, I wouldn't have any expectations of enjoying them. The one exception is we went during the stop at the private island. The boat was empty and we were really able to enjoy it. We aren't beach people so we didn't feel like we were missing out.

Wish I had more to tell you but our kids are jus too far apart.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:07 PM   #540
cougarfreak
College Starter

Glad you enjoyed it Lathum. Kidani Village is my home base, and is s great experience in and of itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2019, 08:24 PM   #541
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

If I had one criticism it would be I wish they either had more characters, or switched them out more often. We did 2 days at MK, and it was mostly the same characters both days. Would be cool if there were more surprise appearances.

Probably something I am sensitive to since my kids love them.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:47 AM   #542
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Forgot to post about one other amusing thing. My Mother in Law almost got me in to a fight on the bus. Coming back from Epcot and this younger guy, probably 22-25 gets on and is obviously drunk. Being loud, etc...My MIL is in her scooter, strapped in and he is standing with his back to her. Me and my FIL are across from her, so they are standing in between us. Wife and kids a little ways down. Obviously drunk guy keeps trying to get his girlfriend to make out with him. She is obviously uncomfortable and pushed him away several times. I hear her utter things like kids, etc...

My daughter notices at one point they are kissing and was like, ewwwwww, but whatever. Then I notice he is trying to rub her crotch with the back of his hand. At this point I am considering telling him to cool it, but I already know where that leads us to. I am in no way worried about this kid. For one, he is drunk, and two, he was probably 5-7, 160 and I am 6-2, 220 and in pretty good shape. The last thing I want is to be involved in a brawl in front of my kids a Disney.

Apparently at some point drunk guy stumbled back into the wheel chair of the woman next to my MIL, and at that point my MIL had enough. I hear her totally telling this kid off. Telling him he has repeatedly stumbled in to this womans wheelchair, then telling him his behavior is unacceptable and her grandkids are right in front of him, as well as other kids. TBH I loved it, she said what I wanted to but it would have been a throwdown.

I look across and give the MIL an "is everything ok?" and if she hadn't realized it before the girlfriend now knows I am with her and watching. Drunk Guy doesn't say anything directly to my MIL but continues to mutter. His girlfriend keeps saying things like " don't say a word" "just keep your head down and shut up."

Bus gets to our resort and Drunk Guy wasn't getting off at our stop. My FIL, who is 70, witnessed all of this as well, gives me a look and I tell him I am going to wait on the bus until they get my MIL off. Drunk Guy sits down with girlfriend, who continues to tell him to keep his mouth shut. I am just waiting for him to say something to my MIL but the little bitch literally put his head down as she and I went by and kept his mouth shut. As we leave the bus I make eye contact with the girlfriend and she gives me a relieved look, knowing the kid would have gotten his ass kicked.

We get off the bus, crisis averted, and advise my very confused wife what happened.

Last edited by Lathum : 01-28-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:53 AM   #543
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:

Definitely take advantage of the Kids' Club on the ship so the parents and grandparents can enjoy some time to themselves.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:06 PM   #544
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Definitely take advantage of the Kids' Club on the ship so the parents and grandparents can enjoy some time to themselves.

Planning on doing that. Any advice or experiences with the kids club?
Old 01-28-2019, 05:09 PM   #545
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Planning on doing that. Any advice or experiences with the kids club?

The kids club is great, not sure how it works with the older kids.

Your room will have what is basically a cordless phone. When you drop the kids off at the kids area you agree to have the phone on your person. When one of the kids want to leave they text you and you have to go get them. Avoids people being shitty parents.

My kids cracked that code early and we had to basically tell them to not ask to be picked up, and we promise we will get them in an hour or whenever. Just some thing to keep in mind. Some kids wanna stay there all day, ours just weren't wired that way.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:16 AM   #546
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Coming back from Epcot and this younger guy, probably 22-25 gets on and is obviously drunk

Epcot is my favorite park but I hate that basically you know you're going to run into some kind of drunk there (ah the joys of explaining to my kids why a young lady was sleeping on the curb outside of the China pavilion late one night).

What astounds me even more is how anyone can afford to get drunk at Epcot. Unless you're a passholder you've paid somewhere from 85-100 bucks just to get into the park and then probably close to 10 bucks a drink after that. Plus its not a short walk around those countries - why not just go to the bars/lounges at some of the more expensive resorts and get hammered there?
Old 01-31-2019, 01:34 PM   #547
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Lathum, just a heads up on Hollywood. The sci-fi drive in theater meals are great at the kids love it. Generally, it's not too hard to get a reservation at it. I'd highly suggest it on the next trip.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:13 PM   #548
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Epcot is my favorite park but I hate that basically you know you're going to run into some kind of drunk there (ah the joys of explaining to my kids why a young lady was sleeping on the curb outside of the China pavilion late one night).

What astounds me even more is how anyone can afford to get drunk at Epcot. Unless you're a passholder you've paid somewhere from 85-100 bucks just to get into the park and then probably close to 10 bucks a drink after that. Plus its not a short walk around those countries - why not just go to the bars/lounges at some of the more expensive resorts and get hammered there?

It is the passholders, most specifically the Florida Resident passholders, who cause most of the trouble. Their marginal cost of entry is essentially zero. And walking around the booths of Food and Wine is what they do all day.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:59 PM   #549
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
why not just go to the bars/lounges at some of the more expensive resorts and get hammered there?

Because then you don't get to do the "drink your way around the world" experience.

I have a friend who has a whole group that goes twice a year pretty much solely for that purpose.

And, no, I'm not kidding :/
Old 02-04-2019, 05:12 PM   #550
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Let’s not forget there are a lot of people with the mo way to drop $300 drinking their way through Epcot. Not to sound like a douche but I would rather do that then spend $150 drinking at a resort.