Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-17-2018, 08:21 AM   #3551
bob
College Starter

Curious what everyone's take is on Discover: Lands Unknown:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/e...-landing-page/

Apart from the game itself, the "selling" point is that every copy of the game is unique. From their website:

"While mechanics and some common components like meeples will be the same in every copy of the game, the vast majority of the cards, tiles, and tokens in your box will be randomized, selected from a vast pool of possible components. When you open your copy of Discover: Lands Unknown, you can never be sure what you'll find inside, and the combination will be different from every other copy in the world. In other words, Unique Games aren't like Legacy Games, which start with identical components, but become unique through gameplay. Unique Games have their own distinct mix of components in every box!"

Seems to me like a way to try to get people to buy multiple copies.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:50 AM   #3552
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

Apart from the game itself, the "selling" point is that every copy of the game is unique. From their website:

"While mechanics and some common components like meeples will be the same in every copy of the game, the vast majority of the cards, tiles, and tokens in your box will be randomized, selected from a vast pool of possible components. When you open your copy of Discover: Lands Unknown, you can never be sure what you'll find inside, and the combination will be different from every other copy in the world. In other words, Unique Games aren't like Legacy Games, which start with identical components, but become unique through gameplay. Unique Games have their own distinct mix of components in every box!"

I'd also worry about balance. It is hard enough to get good balance in a limited/controlled universe. One overpowered card/piece combo can easily break a game.

It seems pretty impossible to design a game that would have necessary balance when you are randomly putting in pieces/cards/tiles from a huge pool.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:55 AM   #3553
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Like legacy this past year, unique seems to be the keyword for upcoming products. Dice Tower has talked a lot about Keyforge, a collectible card game with uniquely named characters in each deck. Seems more like a money grab to me than an twist on board game rules, but we shall see.

KeyForge First Impressions - with Tom Vasel | The Dice Tower

Sam vs. Tom: Keyforge | The Dice Tower
Old 08-17-2018, 05:20 PM   #3554
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:

I'll just have to shake my head at this and move on without taking a serious look at it.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:09 AM   #3555
Thomkal
Head Coach

Pandemic now available on Steam for $10.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:44 AM   #3556
tarcone
Coordinator

If you are around St Louis today, Miniature Market is having a garage sale at their Manchester location. 10-10 today and 10-5 tomorrow.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:09 PM   #3557
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
I'll just have to shake my head at this and move on without taking a serious look at it.

My impression as well.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:04 AM   #3558
Thomkal
Head Coach

Humble Bumble has a Digital Tabletop Bundle for the next couple weeks. Includes Talisman and a couple of expansions, Pathfinder, Carcassone, Armello (if you pay $10), Sentinels of the Multiverse and a expansion, Ticket To Ride pack with several DLC's, Mysterium. Pretty good deal for $10 or less.

Last edited by Thomkal : 08-29-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:54 PM   #3559
henry296
College Starter

Any thoughts on Stockpile? The app version came out today and seems like a game I would like.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:37 PM   #3560
tarcone
Coordinator

One game I really enjoy is Star Trek: Fleet Captains. Lots of fun in that game. It uses the hero clix system, so you get some fantastic miniatures.
It is OOP and costs around $130 for the base (Federation and Klingons) and 2 expansions (Romulans and Dominion)

It is card assisted.

The other game I played recently and really liked was Brass: LanLancashire. It is a pure economic game. Fun game also.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:27 PM   #3561
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I've got a Kickstarter game arriving in a couple months that I backed. It's a new retro version of the Fireball Island game from the '80s.

Kickstarter

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-19-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:31 PM   #3562
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I've got a Kickstarter game arriving in a couple months that I backed. It's a new retro version of the Fireball Island game from the '80s.

Kickstarter

Let me know how it is. I wavered back and forth quite a bit on that. I'm not sure what the game play will be like and whether the nostalgia factor where where off quickly. I'll probably pick it up eventually.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:59 PM   #3563
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Sentinels of the Multiverse is on sale at Steam for $0.99 (99% off)

I screwed up and bought a 5-pack, thinking I was getting a bundle that included some ex-pacs. Instead, I found myself with 5 copies of the base game.

Since I'm still getting a good price on this game, I'm letting others benefit from my error. I'll gift away my other 4 copies to whomever PMs me their email address or Steam account.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:19 PM   #3564
PilotMan
Head Coach

PM sent

My message sent prematurely. You can use my steam of Topper too.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #3565
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
PM sent

My message sent prematurely. You can use my steam of Topper too.

Let me know if you got it. I sent it to the email address on the PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:17 PM   #3566
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yep got it. Thanks

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:59 PM   #3567
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So I was thinking of getting a board game for mostly solo play. Between Mage Knight and Gloomhaven which do you recommended? I was thinking of maybe Imperial Assault as well.

Also feel free to make any recommendations.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 10-26-2018 at 07:01 PM.
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:02 PM   #3568
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So I was thinking of getting a board game for mostly solo play. Between Mage Knight and Gloomhaven which do you recommended? I was thinking of maybe Imperial Assault as well.

Star Trek: Frontiers re-implements Mage Knight. I've never played it, but it gives you options as far as themes go.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:07 PM   #3569
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Gloomhaven. Hands down.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:52 PM   #3570
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:

How often will you be playing? Gloomhaven is a game I'd only recommend if you're going to play it regularly and get into the campaign
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:03 AM   #3571
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Gloomhaven I have not played, would love to, but I have heard it works better with a group. I can definitely vouch for Mage Knight being a very good solo game.

One of the things I like about Mage Knight, even if you know how to play it, it can still be tough to win due to luck of the draw and the map. Many other solo games, once you figure out the system you can crank out wins.

Another good solo game is Agricola. Yes, it is like old arcade games in which you try to beat your high score, but it is still very good.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:25 AM   #3572
bob
College Starter

I don't normally listen to this podcast, so I'm not sure how good their takes normally are, but So Very Wrong About Games was pretty brutal with its review of Discover Lands Unknown.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #3573
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Anyone get their hands on Arkham Horror Third Edition Board Game yet?
Old 11-08-2018, 12:42 PM   #3574
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
Anyone get their hands on Arkham Horror Third Edition Board Game yet?

I did! I actually got two by accident.

I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I did read through the rules. To me, it looks like it's a combination of Akrham 2.0, Mansions of Madness, and Eldritch Horror. It borrows elements from all three games and combines them.

I'm really looking forward to playing it. Arkham 2.0 remains my favorite board game of all time. For all of its fiddliness and everything, I still love it and have played it over 40+ times.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:31 PM   #3575
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
I don't normally listen to this podcast, so I'm not sure how good their takes normally are, but So Very Wrong About Games was pretty brutal with its review of Discover Lands Unknown.

I'm waiting for the Dice Tower to review it-what did the podcast say about it?
Old 11-08-2018, 09:54 PM   #3576
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

They probably just got the wrong cards in their set.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:34 AM   #3577
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I picked up Spirit Island yesterday, looking forward to trying it out soon solo.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:49 AM   #3578
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I'm waiting for the Dice Tower to review it-what did the podcast say about it?

They did go out of their way to not spoil for those that care, but among their complaints:
  1. No real narrative
  2. Each terrain gets two scenarios, but they were very similar so the 2nd scenario felt pointless, so end result was not enough game for the price
  3. The 5th scenario that is competitive was really awful
  4. None of main parts of the game (resource management, crafting, combat) was any good
  5. The unique thing didn't add to the game at all, and they speculated that it may have just been done as a trial run for piecing together unique games prior to the release of keyforge, which they expect to be a big money maker.

The other two things they said is their most fun was during scenario 5 because that meant they would never have to play this game again, and it receives their "Seafall of the Year" award.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:00 PM   #3579
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
"Seafall of the Year"
That's enough reason to go watch that review.
YouTube gives it as the #1 suggestion to watch.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:02 PM   #3580
bob
College Starter

Dice Tower was not a fan.

And Fantasy Flight is having to recall some KeyForge decks for unfortunate generated names.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/e.../archon-names/

Last edited by bob : 11-09-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:52 PM   #3581
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

The whole unique mechanic in Discover seems like it makes the game basically play out like a legacy game that skips past the part where the gaming group customizes their play components. As though the developers could have shipped the game with all the cards and tiles, and let the first few plays of the game determine which subset of components the purchasers end up with in the final post-legacy set, but they didn't want to spend the extra cash to ship all those components.

Speaking of Legacy games, Betrayal was released today, apparently. IGN has a walkthrough of the prologue and first chapter up on YouTube, and Amazon is offering the game for $60. I never upgraded from the first edition to the second, so I've got this coming Tuesday. Hopefully, It's something my brother in law and wife will enjoy playing more than once a year.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:14 PM   #3582
Thomkal
Head Coach

I've seen the Dice Tower review on Discover now, disappointed to see how it plays after so much hype. Ah well maybe Keyforge will be good...
Old 11-10-2018, 04:56 PM   #3583
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Dice Tower was not a fan.

And Fantasy Flight is having to recall some KeyForge decks for unfortunate generated names.

That's just plain horrible. With both games.

Tom Vasel's review didn't even go deep into the random content bit (going in, I expected that to be the disappointing element)), it sounded like his/their main complaints made it sound like this game is just as random as the Game of Goose, Chutes & Ladders, or whatever there is no decision making involved as randomness is the only factor that determines what happens.

Randomness of events during play should be determined by a combination of the decision making of the players and standard randomizer elements inside a game: dice, a deck of cards, a bag with tokens, or whatever it is, as long as it's exactly the same in every copy of the game.
A board game that's designed as a pack of Panini stickers, a Pokémon Go egg or some such where you don't know in advance what you will get, that's either designed to milk the customer in buying a gazillion of copies or is bound to be a major disappointment for people that end up with inferior games compared to others, or feel like they didn't get the full experience with their sole copy.

* shake head, again, again, again, and yet one more time *
Old 11-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #3584
Danny
Head Coach

Discover lands unknown looks like a super mediocre game made worse by trying to make every game unique.

Keyforge looks like a very good game and the unique system works pretty wrll for that. The recall doesnt seem like a big deal as its only not allowed in tournament play (you can keep it and probably should, it may be valuable if the game really takes off).
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:44 AM   #3585
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I took my sons (8 and 9) to a Keyforge pre-release event yesterday and we each picked up an archon deck. We all really enjoy it, and have played several times since. I'm still not really able to evaluate the relative strength of the random decks, since I'm playing with kids. They've picked up the game quite well, but I still like to think that I can out-play them
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:12 PM   #3586
Thomkal
Head Coach

Dice Tower reviews Keyforge-Starter Set

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uujnHrxYV4

Last edited by Thomkal : 11-11-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:17 PM   #3587
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Yesterday I went to the biggest board games fair of the Netherlands.

Actually noticed Discover Lands Unknown at one of the demo tables. It looked as much as a prototype as it did in the Dice Tower review. I didn't have any desire to try it though.

Another hyped game did blow me and the rest of the gang away. The Mind was, well, mindblowing. Shockingly it was the only purchase I made.

How to Rob a Bank was okay and we had a lot of fun with Just One (which was the only other purchase in our group). Other games that we tried were either "meh" (Dixit, Anchors Aweigh), plain horrible (Conex, Forbidden City) or "hilarious now, but will it stand the test of times?" (Shit Happens: 50 Shades of Shit).
Old 11-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #3588
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well don't leave us hanging MIJB, tell us about the Mind
Old 11-12-2018, 01:27 PM   #3589
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:

I don't want to steal MIJB's thunder, but from the last page of this thread:

Quote:
Played an interesting new game this evening called "The Mind." It's a cooperative game with a deck of cards numbered 1 to 100. For the first round, everyone is dealt one card. In any order they would like, players play cards to the middle of the table with the goal of playing all cards in ascending order. If anyone ever plays a card out of order (that is, lower than the last played card), the team loses one of their four lives and play continues with the out of order card being the current card. The only exception to this is the "throwing star" - the team starts with one, and at any time a player can raise their hand, indicating they want to use it. If all other players agree and raise their hands as well, everyone discards their lowest numbered card. Once everyone is out of cards, if the team has any lives left the round is over and you proceed to the next round - whereupon each player gets two cards (round three is three cards, etc). After successfully beating certain rounds you earn additional lives (I think 2 and 5) and other rounds earn you additional throwing stars (1 and 6, I believe). If you make it through 8 rounds, you win.

The catch is that you cannot communicate while you play the game.

It was fascinating to play; while you could easily make up some method of non-verbal communication to cheese it, playing naturally was a hell of a lot of fun. The moments when everyone is staring at one another for 30 seconds after a 24 was thrown before anyone even moves toward playing another card are tense; can it really be possible that my 52 is the next lowest card at the table?!!?

After wiping out in round 5 the first time, our group of 5 players was able to make it to the eighth round on our last life with no throwing stars available. We managed to make it all the way through the 40 dealt cards in proper order to take down the win, and it was a damned satisfying feeling!
Old 11-12-2018, 03:15 PM   #3590
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Vince nailed it, really.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #3591
MIJB#19
Coordinator

We played The Mind with four (my two sisters, brother-in-law and I). Our first hand (ever) was immediately a crazy stare off. The person explaining the game to us reacted like he hadn't seen that in the previous day and a half of explaining the game. For good reason, though. While I was dealt the 100 and obviously sat back and tried to make clear there was no way I would ever throw my card on the table first, the three others were all convinced that with numbers from 1 to 100, theirs couldn't be the lowest...
Time likes to really stop in such a situation, so I think it was at most 45 seconds, but eventually one of my sisters decided to throw (I think) the 73 card on the table, which turned out to be the wrong play. We hit 1 in 125 odds of having 4 cards all of 70 or higher.

But shook it off as the test play. Attempt number two at level 1 went smoothly. Then on the second level with 2 cards (so 8 in total) we ran into another steep odds situation. I was dealt the 3 and decided to give the others a quick "going once, going twice, sold" (without realizing that could hint at having the 3), only to find out my brother-in-law forgot to check his cards before play started and was actually dealt the 1, in my enthusiasm, I went too fast before looking at what he was doing. In retrospect I overestimated the situation, the odds of not having any lower cards in play were just 1 in 8).

On the second play, in Level 3 or 4 we had one awesome swing where we somehow manage to pick up on each other that we still had 6 cards left, all in the 75+ range and we managed to get them laid down in the correct order, with no consecutive numbers, but mostly gaps of just 2 or 3 in between.

So, we started to get a good knack for what numbers would be the correct play after what kind of pauses and with what number of cards remaining. We stumbled on situations where we went from like 50 to 70 and the 72 was a split-second faster than the 70.

We didn't get deeper than Level 5 and decided to not overplay this while we too had to wait to get an opportunity to test the game. You can hint the others with your body language and eye contact, reaching out with your lowest card to lure the others into making the right play. And I do fear that it eventually may end up being basically everybody counting to 100 on their own. All in all, getting to the same state of mind was a cool experience.

Just One was on a whole different, yet somewhat similar level. It's a co-op party game, where one by one all the players get a card with 5 words and have to pick a number (1 through 5). The other players all have to write down 1 word on their own. After writing, all duplicates are wiped out and the remaining words form the hint for the player with the card. Play continues with everybody taking turn for picking a card and a number. Goal is to get as much correct cards as possible.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:47 PM   #3592
bob
College Starter

Interesting re-skinning (plus more I’m sure) of V-Commandos in the Assassins Creed universe, just ass expensive due to the miniatures:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ce/description

That’s a lot to invest for something not coming until 2020. And I liked V-Commandos.

Last edited by bob : 11-14-2018 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:24 AM   #3593
bob
College Starter

I've read a bunch more reviews* for Discover Lands Unknown and it seems to break down into two camps:

1. Experienced Gamer - doesn't like the game because its too light and lots of other games do similar things better. Basically, they've seen too much else to enjoy this.

2. Lightweight Gamer - has fun with it precisely because its lightweight and they haven't played anything similar.

So take that for what its worth. And while the theme is similar, I'm not sure the super critical comparisons of Discover Lands Unknown against 7th Continent are fair given that that game is much more expensive and basically unpurchasable at this point. Its not like you can read a review, decide 7th Continent sounds better, and buy that instead. Its a bit like comparing a Honda Accord with a Rolls Royce - the Rolls Royce might be a much better car, but if I can't buy it, who cares.

* - Note, these are player reviews, not critics. I think most critics fall into camp #1 above.

Last edited by bob : 11-15-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:29 AM   #3594
bob
College Starter

Quote:

Here's a link that shows so oddly named cards:

Amazing KeyForge Decks – Heavy Punch Games

I can see why something like "Titanflyer, the Farmer of Racism" was recalled. Conspiracy theory (there's one for everything) is they did this intentionally to get more press and buyers buying new cards looking for rare set names.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:20 PM   #3595
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Any opinions on the junior versions of carcassonne and catan for a smart.6 year old? We play junior ticket to ride and it is perfect for him but i.thought carcassonne might be simple enough (rules wise not strategy) to not have to do the junior version. Anyone ever play either of them?

Any other recommendations up the same alley so to speak?

Last edited by panerd : 11-20-2018 at 07:21 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:31 PM   #3596
henry296
College Starter

Catan junior was good for our six year old.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:48 AM   #3597
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I picked up My Little Scythe. I'm hoping my 7yo will pick up the rules pretty easily.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:35 PM   #3598
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
Catan junior was good for our six year old.

Thanks. Might get my first carcassonne as it looks like our 4 year olds might be able to play it as well. My wife loves Ticket to Ride: Journey. We may have a group of five gaming group when the boys get a little older that doesn't require me to leave the house.

Last edited by panerd : 11-21-2018 at 04:36 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:36 PM   #3599
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Thanks. Might get my first carcassonne as it looks like our 4 year olds might be able to play it as well. My wife loves Ticket to Ride: Journey. We may have a group of five gaming group when the boys get a little older that doesn't require me to leave the house.

I would not be afraid to roll with full blown Carcassonne with kids.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:11 AM   #3600
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I would not be afraid to roll with full blown Carcassonne with kids.

+1