Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-21-2014, 10:32 AM   #13251
molson
General Manager

I finished the first Game of Thrones book. Can I watch the first season of the HBO show spoiler-free, and should I?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #13252
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I finished the first Game of Thrones book. Can I watch the first season of the HBO show spoiler-free, and should I?
Go for it. I did it in the reverse order, watched first read second, which I think was enjoyable since I could focus on details in the books knowing what the plot was.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #13253
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
Go for it. I did it in the reverse order, watched first read second, which I think was enjoyable since I could focus on details in the books knowing what the plot was.

I agree.

It seems that when you read the book first and then watch the movie, you get mad whenever there's the slightest deviation from the book.

When I watch the movie first I can just it based on its merits alone and not have to compare to anything. Then when you read the book it's like getting the "true" story.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #13254
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

I definitely recommend waiting to start the show. Some plotlines are condensed in the show, and so seeing what is coming really pulls the rug out of a lot of the fun of the books. I would read the first three books, as they combine to be a really masterful ride, then start watching the show. I think you'll enjoy both much more that way.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #13255
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

RT from @wyethwire:
What do you call a pollster with a bad turnout model?
A telemarketer.

(This comes in the wake of Jack Kingston (R-GA) appearing to lose the GOP primary runoff for Senate in spite of internal polling that showed his lead around double digits. He used the same pollster as Eric Cantor)
Old 07-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #13256
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Oh, Ohio.

Atheists smart, Christians dumb? | On Air Videos | Fox News
Old 07-25-2014, 01:35 PM   #13257
path12
Coordinator

I have to either stop clicking on every thread or start coming here a lot less often. Not sure which.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:43 PM   #13258
britrock88
Pro Starter

Stop clicking on every thread.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #13259
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think I have ever clicked on every thread.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #13260
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The wigfecta of wigclicking?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:12 PM   #13261
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

geez, I think I barely click on 10%?
Old 07-27-2014, 09:38 PM   #13262
RainMaker
General Manager

Why do raspberries go bad so fast? Seems I buy a pint and they are moldy in 2 days.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:59 PM   #13263
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
A bent pushrod doesn't help a lawnmower engine run very well.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #13264
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

It's fun when you learn a new bit of slang from another language/dialect.

It can be even more fun when you convert it to a local equivalent & see whether it's a keeper.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:22 PM   #13265
JediKooter
Coordinator

Tillamook cheddar cheese slices are like love and kittens and video games all in one. They taste that good.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #13266
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
So I was driving behind a truck hauling rocks today and noticed the sign we have all probably seen a million times... STAY BACK 300 feet, not responsible for damages. It got me thinking if this is a private company how the hell do they get away with that? Can I just put a sign on my car that says not responsible for damages if I cause a wreck? Does this actually stand up in court or is it just a way to get you not tailgate them?

I had a similar arugement with PENNDOT when one of their snow plows destroyed my mailbox this winter. They said that they are not responsible for what the snow does to my mailbox, and then proceeded to talk to me like I was an idiot that didn't understand that since wet snow is more dense it carries more momentum and such. I told him I understood the physics of the matter (I am an enginner) and told him that the solution to the problem was simple, have the truck actually drive slower and obey the speed limit.

Then I couldnt resist and made another smart ass comment about how I am glad to know that I can have a website and put all kinds of disclaimers on it saying what I am and am not responsible for and it's ok by law.

End result, the trucks now drive slower on my road.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:59 PM   #13267
Logan
Head Coach

Sea salt seems to have gained a ton in popularity in recent years. I've heard it's better for you than regular salt (not sure if true). In the past, I preferred it more because it used to be coarser than old school salt, and I liked the extra texture. Now it seems like so many more items are being sold as "made with sea salt" but, generally speaking, the salt on these products seem to be less coarse and more like regular salt. Without the added texture, I can tell no difference.

Have I just completely adapted to the finer nature of sea salt? Or are we being sold a bill of goods here and we're just getting table salt sold as sea salt in our favorite products?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:48 PM   #13268
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Sea salt seems to have gained a ton in popularity in recent years. I've heard it's better for you than regular salt (not sure if true). In the past, I preferred it more because it used to be coarser than old school salt, and I liked the extra texture. Now it seems like so many more items are being sold as "made with sea salt" but, generally speaking, the salt on these products seem to be less coarse and more like regular salt. Without the added texture, I can tell no difference.

Have I just completely adapted to the finer nature of sea salt? Or are we being sold a bill of goods here and we're just getting table salt sold as sea salt in our favorite products?

I think it's a little bit of both....like there's sea salt that is being sold as a replacement for table salt, and that stuff is pretty much the exact same texture as regular old table salt. It might be a mix, or maybe it's just ground finer. Dubious food labeling is also a great American corporate pastime, and who knows what the standards are for using a 'sea salt' label are....I can't imagine they're too strict "Oh! This salt was certainly in the sea...at one time.". Ditto for products claiming to be 'made with' sea salt. Ostensibly it should taste a little milder, but also more minerally, but you probably lose most of that distinction when you grind/process it all to hell, and toss it in with a bunch of other preservatives/powders/whatever, let alone if you were to mix it with regular ol' table salt.

You can certainly still get coarse sea salt on its own, you just have to make sure it's marked as 'coarse' these days, whereas in the past you'd just assume that all sea salt was coarse.

The "real" stuff, Fleur de sel, is artisanal, certified salt, scraped by hand from the sea. That stuff has a certified standard and is serious business, and as such will always be of consistent quality and texture (it's flakes, rather than grains/pebbles).
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-30-2014 at 02:59 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:22 PM   #13269
Logan
Head Coach

I'm glad someone else can appreciate the struggle.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:30 PM   #13270
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I'm glad someone else can appreciate the struggle.

Loves me some salt! I have similar issues with usage of the term "cracked pepper" to sell products with year-long shelf lives. I'm sure that pepper certainly was cracked at one time......many,many months/years ago.

It reminds me of the FDA's process for labeling something as "whole grain", where you can still process the hell out of the grain, beat it to hell, and separate it into a million tiny pieces, but as long as you eventually put all the parts back together in the same bag it magically becomes a whole grain again!

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-30-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:34 PM   #13271
sabotai
General Manager

Mayo Clinic says not much difference nutritionally, and that sea salt can come in various levels of coarseness.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...t/faq-20058512
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:40 PM   #13272
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Mayo Clinic says not much difference nutritionally, and that sea salt can come in various levels of coarseness.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...t/faq-20058512

Interesting. I tend to forget about the nutritional worries/issues with salt (specifically the addition or lack of iodine), as I'm somewhat of a rarity these days, in that I'm "lucky" enough to have low blood pressure rather than high, so my doc is always telling me to eat more salt.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-30-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #13273
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I usually use kosher salt in stuff.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #13274
QuikSand
lolzcat

weird by-product of trendy salts and healthy diet trends is more people developing iodine deficiencies

most of us get most of our iodine from iodized table salt, it seems

i'm taking kelp supplements occasionally
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:31 PM   #13275
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Perhaps just me-

Flipping thru stations and you stop. The music is familiar sounding but you don't recognize the song. Sometimes you know quickly but sometimes it takes a second song. Then you start hearing certain lyrics and realize you've been #jesusrocked
Old 08-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #13276
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Interesting isolate snapshot of Facebook usage perhaps, as I try to help round up people for our 30 year HS reunion (class of 1984).

Of the 124 of us still living (5 deceased), we've reached 66 through FB + 2 outside of FB. 56 more still to go, only 3 or 4 of those at most appear to be on FB.

So the FB rate is just over half. That's actually a little lower than I would have guessed for adults age 48 (+/- a year)
Old 08-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #13277
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Perhaps just me-

Flipping thru stations and you stop. The music is familiar sounding but you don't recognize the song. Sometimes you know quickly but sometimes it takes a second song. Then you start hearing certain lyrics and realize you've been #jesusrocked

Contemporary Christian music makes me sad at times. Worship music more so. We have one of our bands at church would best be described as Mumford and Sons do worship music, and it is not even remotely shied away from that fact.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #13278
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I fuss about work quite a bit but I usually leave it pretty vague for public consumption. Today however ...

if there's an overall less competent group of people that what Sinclair Broadcasting has assembled at TV stations across the country then I hope I don't live to see it. My experience with them has been that 90% of their sales force couldn't find their backside with a map & a GPS. And their management is even worse. It's as though they make a concerted effort to hire criminally stupid and chronically lazy people.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #13279
lungs
Pro Rookie

Why do people that pull into my farm selling (likely) stolen tools from the back of their pickup truck always come from the South?

They certainly don't help my already deep prejudices against the South.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #13280
RainMaker
General Manager

lungs, I have a farming question. Why when I buy standard milk from the grocery store it's got like a 2-3 week shelf life but when I buy an organic brand it's got like a 2 month shelf life? I would think it would be the other way around.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:42 AM   #13281
stevew
Hall Of Famer

UltraPasturized vs normal pasteurized I'd assume.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #13282
lungs
Pro Rookie

Steve is right, here is an article that answers your question:
Link
Old 08-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #13283
Dutch
"Dutch"

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Glitter License Plate Frame - Black-- - NFLShop.com

My license plate frame is fading so I was looking for a new one...and something in the description of this particular frame left me a bit puzzled.

Quote:
Description

•Approximately 12” x 6”
•Laser-cut graphics
•Made in the USA
•Made of metal and acrylic
•Officially licensed NFL product
•Ready to hang
•Two screw holes (not included)

hmmm...

Last edited by Dutch : 08-06-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:09 PM   #13284
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
hmmm...

Yeah, that's a head scratcher if you look at it the right way
Old 08-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #13285
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So it doesn't include screws?
Old 08-06-2014, 07:22 PM   #13286
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
So it doesn't include screws?

I'll give you another chance to re-read it.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #13287
JediKooter
Coordinator

I wish they would list everything else that wasn't included.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:48 PM   #13288
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

So DC flinched and backed out of going head to head against Marvel.

'Batman V Superman' Release Date Moves To March 25, 2016
Old 08-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #13289
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I'll give you another chance to re-read it.

I still don't understand
Old 08-06-2014, 10:16 PM   #13290
Dutch
"Dutch"

The way I read it, it included two holes for screws...which weren't included.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:17 PM   #13291
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
I still don't understand

Properly, it should read "Two Screw Holes (Screws Not Included)"

As it stands, it suggests that the holes for the screws are not included.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:54 PM   #13292
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Was so psyched to drop some Crocodile Dundee in Los Angele knowledge in my in class presentation today but was denied due to time constraints. That movie is a flaming pile and Paul Hogan is a colossal jerk. He tried to steal writing credit from ESPN's Matthew Berry.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #13293
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post

Thanks, I was beginning to think there was something tangible called a "screw hole" that you could buy in a store.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #13294
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post

OK...that's what I thought
Old 08-07-2014, 10:16 PM   #13295
cartman
Death Herald

Jon is all for clean alternative power now.

Butt batteries: Scientists store energy in used cigarette filters - Yahoo News

Last edited by cartman : 08-07-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:34 PM   #13296
stevew
Hall Of Famer

He just switched to pall mall unfiltered just to avoid helping
Old 08-07-2014, 10:51 PM   #13297
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He just switched to pall mall unfiltered just to avoid helping

Those things are hard to find.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:15 PM   #13298
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, should have used Lucky Strikes instead.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:36 AM   #13299
lungs
Pro Rookie

Just rip that filter off.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #13300
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I came to this website at this time today because I had meant to go to my bank's website...but both sites URL's start with "o" and I just clicked the first site it matched with. Not that I wasn't going to come here later, but I really was trying to get to my bank's site.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote