Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-25-2021, 12:33 PM   #1401
Butter
Coordinator

He's getting a full time job after receiving his diploma, so that's why. I guess he didn't see pro football in his future
Old 02-25-2021, 12:52 PM   #1402
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I don't really have any commentary on the effects of that Covid for him other than I hope he will be healthy moving forward. I was just wondering about the "retirement" announcement from college sports. I don't remember anyone doing that.

Not entirely uncommon afaik.

I've seen similar wording for chronic injuries, often used with suddenly discovered heart problems, etc.

I think, in part, it distinguishes the player's departure from being a "quit the team" scenario / speculation.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:26 PM   #1403
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Howard v. Delaware State is 3-2 with 22 seconds left in the half. A howard player literally tiptoed around the pylon to avoid a TD, although they'll almost certainly score to close the half.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:27 PM   #1404
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Wait, there was a penalty. No commentary or sound.. and the QB fumbled!!! And now a hold. Dear God. Out of FG range!!!
Old 02-27-2021, 12:29 PM   #1405
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Howard fails on 3rd and goal from the 29 to end the half!

This is the worst display of football I've ever seen.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:43 PM   #1406
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Still 3-2 with 10 minutes left. Let's Do This!
Old 02-27-2021, 05:34 PM   #1407
molson
General Manager

Nice shoulder tackle form by a Youngstown St. coach on a Northern Iowa WR.

https://twitter.com/UNIFootball/stat...249007624?s=20
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:32 AM   #1408
miami_fan
Coordinator

Ex-Notre Dame football star Louis Nix, 29, found dead after reported missing

Strange story.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:32 PM   #1409
PilotMan
Head Coach

It might have been easy to miss but NDSU lost a game on the road to Southern Illinois this week. As always, there are some fans that are beside themselves with horror. I just can't understand that. Sure, you've had a good run, a run so good that you should be happy with that amazing run for much of the rest of your life, but omg, they just can't get over the fact that their team really isn't going to be undefeated and the best thing this year. I don't know. It's spring football. There's a new QB, who probably isn't playing as well as, oh I don't know, any QB that they have had in the last decade. It's good to have a loss. You really can't expect any organization to maintain the run that they have had. Plus, there's no guarantee that they can't content this year anyway. I just don't get that sort of Henny Penny attitude I guess.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:12 PM   #1410
Thomkal
Head Coach

That's it PM NDSU better fire all their coaches now. Winning streak had to end sometime
Old 03-01-2021, 04:33 PM   #1411
PilotMan
Head Coach

They just talked about it on one of the ESPN talking head shows, and the guy goes, "If you lose your winning streak in February, did you really lose?"

Like Steam?

Old 03-01-2021, 06:16 PM   #1412
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
It might have been easy to miss but NDSU lost a game on the road to Southern Illinois this week. As always, there are some fans that are beside themselves with horror. I just can't understand that. Sure, you've had a good run, a run so good that you should be happy with that amazing run for much of the rest of your life, but omg, they just can't get over the fact that their team really isn't going to be undefeated and the best thing this year. I don't know. It's spring football. There's a new QB, who probably isn't playing as well as, oh I don't know, any QB that they have had in the last decade. It's good to have a loss. You really can't expect any organization to maintain the run that they have had. Plus, there's no guarantee that they can't content this year anyway. I just don't get that sort of Henny Penny attitude I guess.

Bro, as someone who has coached at multiple High School programs I will call out two. Westview and Carl Hayden.

Westview: Coached there 2003 - 2015, we played for two state titles, made 12 straight playoff appearances and won 7 straight region titles, and more wins from 2007-2015 than any 6A school west of Central Phoenix . See highlights below.

1-From a parent at Freshman orientation coming off our second State title appearance. "Well you made it to a state title, but you lost, I may check out Centennial too" (They are the school that beat us both times.)

2-Undefeated regular season in 2013, were upset in the first round by Brophy, a traditional power that struggled early but was on a roll when we met. Mild upset for sure, but suddenly we choked on the big game, forgot how to prepare, were completely out coached and probably should have watched film. (Fact here is we probably overprepared and overcoached because Brophy was a tough first round match up that had our number in the playoffs here and at North Canyon, the school we came from and we put more hours into this game than any I can remember in 32 years)

3-Top 5 in the state in rushing, all levels, every year but if we would run a spread offense instead of that "stupid Wing T" we would have had 5 state titles but we are too stupid to know that (The reason we had so much success is we took small lines, good to very good athletes and put them in a system that provided an equalizer to bigger, more athletic teams. All those rushing yards and we had 1 running back that got a schollie at Weber State and 1 that walked on at ASU and got some garbage time carries) But yeah, we wasted all that talent.

Carl Hayden: Coach there 2016 and 2019 to present. The Falcons have been around since 1957 and have 4 winning season and 1 playoff appearance in that span. They lost 66 straight games from 2002-2009 and are in an impoverished area that is over 90% Hispanic. We have gotten kids that show up having to play having never seen an American Football game, one that started for us that didn't speak english and a ton of kids that have to hold down jobs to help their families eat.

1-A 3 win season in 2016 after they went 0-10 and lost by an average of 50+ to 10 in 2015 had parents pour onto the field to shake our hands and thank us for giving their kids a great experience after our last game.

2-2019 we went 2-10, I had to change the offense from Wing-T to Double Wing halfway through the season after starting 0-5 and we went 2-3 and averaged 350 yards rushing those last 5 games. I was not happy with myself as a coach that year for being stubborn and not recognizing we needed an even more basic, old school scheme sooner, yet we were hailed as miracle workers for turning the season around.

3-And most important, parents rarely talk about losing games to us, instead they are grateful for the mentoring their kids, helping build them for life after school in a tough area and simply caring about them.

So tell me which set of parents truly get the true concept of self worth? I love to win as much as anyone, but it is almost more enjoyable not to be too successful.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:58 PM   #1413
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think the concerns about QB Noland's ability are legit. The Iowa State offer was his only P5 offer, and he rather quickly found himself supplanted there. (3 games before Purdy sent him packing).

I'm familiar with him since he played HS ball about 10 minutes from my house, same HS that also produced Mettenburger and now Max Johnson. The only other offer from a notable program he had was from Appy State (where his HS coach/father played).

Thing is, to maintain the level of dominance NDSU has enjoyed, they need guys performing at a level above FCS-caliber ball. I'm not sure _above_ that level is a realistic ceiling for him.

Can they find other ways to get the job done? Yeah, that's possible. But I can understand some level of unease. Success is hard to maintain, once it begins to slip it can become a memory really quickly.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:29 PM   #1414
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well, they gave him the chance to win the job last year and he couldn't. That he's a transfer SR starting his first year says pretty much all you need to say. They have some younger talent behind him, but they are giving him the team this bastardized year, and then will let the young guys sit behind him. He's supposed to be a decent passer, but even from the very limited amounts I've seen him, he's a noticeably behind the level that guys have been playing at here.

Like Steam?

Old 03-01-2021, 08:41 PM   #1415
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, they gave him the chance to win the job last year and he couldn't. That he's a transfer SR starting his first year says pretty much all you need to say. They have some younger talent behind him, but they are giving him the team this bastardized year, and then will let the young guys sit behind him. He's supposed to be a decent passer, but even from the very limited amounts I've seen him, he's a noticeably behind the level that guys have been playing at here.

His high water mark was 360 yards in a 37-27 loss to Oklahoma, his first real opportunity Minus a slow first quarter he matched Kyler Murray blow for blow.

And then didn't do a whole lot the rest of his ISU career, his final start being a 14/28 for 79 yards performance against TCU the following year.

I believe that version is closer to his reality than the previously unseen starter version against OU the year prior
Old 03-02-2021, 09:55 AM   #1416
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
His high water mark was 360 yards in a 37-27 loss to Oklahoma, his first real opportunity Minus a slow first quarter he matched Kyler Murray blow for blow.

With all due respect, that 2018 OU defense was horrible, ranking 87th nationally in pass defense. Basically, every quarterback that went up against them looked like a Heisman Trophy candidate.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:50 AM   #1417
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
With all due respect, that 2018 OU defense was horrible, ranking 87th nationally in pass defense. Basically, every quarterback that went up against them looked like a Heisman Trophy candidate.

Yeah but he didn't look that good against other similarly bad defenses

I really think him being an unscouted commodity helped on that specific day.

He was a sharp HS QB against bad defenses most of the time but he didn't consistently set the scoreboard alight against even HS defenses with a pulse.
Though to be fair his roster was lean -- always a problem at that school --which has oddly somehow produced 3 P5 QB's in about a decade.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:07 AM   #1418
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Furman lost to VMI, which is embarrassing enough.

They were losing 14-13 due to a missed extra point. They had the ball on the VMI 20 with 30 seconds left. They proceeded to fumble because the snap hit the man in motion.

Most embarrassing loss since being up by 1 on App State 15 years ago with 2 seconds left when they decided to go for 2, fumbled, and App State returned it for the win.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:21 PM   #1419
Atocep
Coordinator

Is it acceptable behavior for a man in his 60s to "mentor" college age girls? Asking for Les Miles.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:30 PM   #1420
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Is it acceptable behavior for a man in his 60s to "mentor" college age girls? Asking for Les Miles.
"Yes" - Bobby Petrino
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:47 PM   #1421
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Back to... what's even before "square one"?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-08-2021 at 10:47 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:20 AM   #1422
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
"Yes" - Bobby Petrino

1 legal age (albeit young) female who knowingly got into a relationship (and a job) vs 100's of thousands of fans that had to slog through mediocrity (and worse) for a decade+.

Yeah, my ethical self says he should have been fired. My Hog fan self says slap him with a big fine and let it go.

I'll have to google and see where she is nowadays.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-09-2021 at 06:20 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:42 AM   #1423
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

A lot of the local reporters in Baton Rouge are all patting themselves on the back and pointing out that "I knew there were a lot of issue with Miles the whole time."

They are acting like this is a good thing.

I'm not sure why this says anything other than "I am a journalist without courage who is so beholden to power that I can't actually report news."

I'd have more respect for the journalist who just said "Wow. I had no idea. If I had known, I'd have written a story about it."

I get it. If you are a journalist in Baton Rouge who comes after LSU football, then you lose your job and probably have to go into protective custody for a while until the death threats subside. So I understand not wanting to do it.

But then why brag about that? I'd just be ashamed of myself and try to pretend it didn't happen.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:01 PM   #1424
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

He just has to get Nick Saban to offer him a spot on the Crimson Tide staff to rehabilitate his image.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:18 PM   #1425
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I can absolutely guarantee you that the Sugar Bowl was THE thing for SEC fanbases before all the silliness started. It was an event that was pretty much unrivaled in terms of anticipation, I know people who still have 40-50 year old Bourbon Street t-shirts bought on one of the trips.

I'd bet a lot of Pac-10 fanbases have Rose Bowl stuff the same way

This is an e-mail from Alabama's AD in my current play-through in Draft Day Sports College Football. I saw a similar one for Ohio State going to the Rose Bowl. Nice to see that the sports sims have embraced the attitude that the bowl games are now meaningless.

Old 03-13-2021, 05:12 PM   #1426
PilotMan
Head Coach

No big shocker at NDSU that Zeb has been benched, during the game, for a true freshman.

Like Steam?

Old 03-23-2021, 12:50 PM   #1427
bhlloy
Coordinator

So the OSU president who was forced to resign over the handling of the Les Miles affair at LSU seriously chooses to go by F. King Alexander?

I have nothing pithy to add, except to say that I'm not trying to trivialize sexual misconduct and his handling of it by this post.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:09 PM   #1428
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I can't search on phone, so I can't find the NCAA lawsuit thread, but I am surprised no body on here is discussing the Supreme Court oral arguements today. With both Alito and Thomas (who never asks questions, but did today) seeming pretty hostile to anti-trust for the NCAA, I think there's very likely going to be a change in status for college football players.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 03-31-2021 at 06:09 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:54 PM   #1429
JPhillips
General Manager

And Kavanaugh
Old 04-16-2021, 09:31 AM   #1430
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

There is nothing you can do that is dirty enough or corrupt enough to get yourself fired from big time college sports.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:27 AM   #1431
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The Pac-12 is apparently considering hiring 2 commissioners. Not choosing a commissioner between its top 2 candidates, but hiring 2 people.

I mean, c'mon!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 12:30 PM   #1432
cuervo72
Head Coach

Is "moved around" another way of saying "running laps?"
Old 04-27-2021, 04:24 PM   #1433
GrantDawg

Where would we be without the two popes?

Old 05-06-2021, 02:16 PM   #1434
BYU 14
Coordinator

At first blush this looks like a good thing, in that players at Georgia colleges at the level of say Trevor Lawrence could get significant endorsement deals, with the availability of schools to take 75% of revenue and redistribute to all athletes at the school on graduation. So players would share and I don't think most athletes that could land deals would be opposed to share, because they still get something and the pool is an incentive to get your degree.

I am just glad the schools will not be able to profit, at least from what I see.

NCAA: Georgia law allows schools to pool athlete endorsements
Old 05-06-2021, 02:30 PM   #1435
JPhillips
General Manager

I can't see that law withstanding a court challenge.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:38 PM   #1436
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Why can't a Trevor Lawrence just keep all the monies? I'm not sure why a water polo player is entitled to any of his endorsement.

And wouldn't this drastically hurt recruitment of star players? If I could go to college A an keep all endorsement money then why would I go to college B and have to give away a lion's share.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 05-06-2021 at 02:40 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:46 PM   #1437
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Why can't a Trevor Lawrence just keep all the monies? I'm not sure why a water polo player is entitled to any of his endorsement.

And wouldn't this drastically hurt recruitment of star players? If I could go to college A an keep all endorsement money then why would I go to college B and have to give away a lion's share.

I guess that would really depend on the player, what they could get if able in other states/colleges etc.

The big issue I have with it is any law related to this should really be on a national level, not states doing their own thing where it is possible to sway recruitment and destroy a sport further that already has enough corruption and gaps in equality.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:07 PM   #1438
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The tenuous links to amateur status are getting more and more absurd.

Just decouple the money-making sports from the universities and turn them into minor leagues.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 05-06-2021 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:17 PM   #1439
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I think if they pool the endorsements, they should treat it like restaurant owners who give it to the non-wait staff. So like the money should go to some random kid studying German.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:36 PM   #1440
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
I think if they pool the endorsements, they should treat it like restaurant owners who give it to the non-wait staff. So like the money should go to some random kid studying German.

The only thing the old school would hate more than some snot-nosed kid getting to keep his endorsement money instead of just shutting up and being happy to play is if that snot-nosed kid had to share his endorsement money with other students who don't even play anything.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:17 PM   #1441
GrantDawg

It states in the article that the pooling of money is up to the school, and UGA has no intention of doing that. I don't know why they added it into the bill, but the colleges are not going to opt into pooling if no other schools are. In the end, the NIL deals are going to work like the NCAA determines, and they seem to want congress to act on it.

Old 05-06-2021, 07:55 PM   #1442
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Jake Ehlinger, younger brother of Sam and a walk-on for the Longhorns, was found dead today. No foul play is suspected.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:10 PM   #1443
BYU 14
Coordinator

Early reports say suicide

Last edited by BYU 14 : 05-06-2021 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:18 AM   #1444
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

At the Houston Touchdown Club yesterday, Jimbo Fisher was asked what it would take to beat Alabama other than the retirement of Nick Saban. Fisher answered "We're going to beat his ass when he's there, don't worry."

Nick Saban was asked about Fisher's comments, and his response is hilarious.

Old 06-08-2021, 01:19 PM   #1445
Ksyrup

It makes total sense that the SEC would be willing to throw 1 at-large bid to a non-P5 in order to secure another 2-4 spots in a playoff for itself.

Momentum rapidly growing for College Football Playoff expansion to eight or more teams - CBSSports.com
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-08-2021, 01:47 PM   #1446
Mota
College Benchwarmer

The thing I like most about college football is how every game is vitally important to the teams. If we expand to an 8 team playoff, that extra loss isn't a big deal, don't worry, the big name teams with 2 losses will still get tossed into the playoffs.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:58 PM   #1447
Ksyrup

But it's really not. As it stands, the same teams qualify nearly ever year, with the occasional team or two from their own conferences replacing them.

There's been, what, 10 or 11 teams to play in 7 years of college football playoffs? That's 28 spots and less than a dozen different teams. And a couple of times, a team that made it didn't even win its DIVISION of the conference they were in. Right now, the tag line is, "Most games are vitally important to about 8-10 teams!"
Old 06-08-2021, 02:10 PM   #1448
cuervo72
Head Coach

Euro soccer, take note. Fans tire of the same teams playing each other all the time.
Old 06-08-2021, 02:18 PM   #1449
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
But it's really not. As it stands, the same teams qualify nearly ever year, with the occasional team or two from their own conferences replacing them.

There's been, what, 10 or 11 teams to play in 7 years of college football playoffs? That's 28 spots and less than a dozen different teams. And a couple of times, a team that made it didn't even win its DIVISION of the conference they were in. Right now, the tag line is, "Most games are vitally important to about 8-10 teams!"

Well that's actually true as well. That's the problem with a system that doesn't have any balancing features built into roster management, and students can sign for whatever team they want. You get Alabama.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:25 PM   #1450
Ksyrup

If we're going to put Alabama in every year regardless of whether they actually earned a top 4 spot because of the "eye test" then at least we can expand the playoff to allow other teams a chance to prove it on the field.

Whether it's 8, 12 or 16 teams, this will at least put football on close to even ground with all the other sports that give conference winners a bid, plus some at-large bids. Yes, the smaller conferences get lumped into the non-P5 bid rather than getting individual bids, but at least that spot is guaranteed because none of them are ever getting put in a 4 team playoff by the committee. Unlike other sports, where a Gonzaga is acknowledged as a co-equal or, like in softball, a James Madison can play its way to the semifinals.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-08-2021 at 02:27 PM.