Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-13-2021, 11:10 AM   #151
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

In addition to Leicester getting the win, as a bonus, I was running a virtual 5K and upped my speed each time Leicester scored so I finished in 22:45 instead of about 24 minutes.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:52 PM   #152
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Messi is going to look great in sky blue.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:50 PM   #153
PilotMan
Head Coach

PSG was all over it today. That's one that Barca won't live down for a long time.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:32 AM   #154
miami_fan
Coordinator

Nice easy one to bring Deano back on. Definite red card.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 02-20-2021 at 09:45 AM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:07 PM   #155
Ksyrup

Is Chelsea's new coach always that demonstrative? I bet as a player he was the guy throwing his hands up when he was passed up for a cross or a ball wasn't perfectly set up for him and just generally making a public display of showing up his teammates.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-20-2021, 01:29 PM   #156
AlexB
Pro Starter

The penalty decision in the Merseyside derby just reaffirms why I’ve cancelled Sky Sports this week - RIP The Beautiful Game
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:06 PM   #157
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Is Chelsea's new coach always that demonstrative? I bet as a player he was the guy throwing his hands up when he was passed up for a cross or a ball wasn't perfectly set up for him and just generally making a public display of showing up his teammates.

Described as "one of the most complex personalities in European football management" his playing career was cut short by injury and really didn't play long enough to have a history of that short.

Generally though, his conflicts have been with management not players.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:20 PM   #158
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Bad knee injury for Jordan Morris today. Pretty sure his time at Swansea is done, just hope he is able to play again sometime this year.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:42 AM   #159
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
The penalty decision in the Merseyside derby just reaffirms why I’ve cancelled Sky Sports this week - RIP The Beautiful Game

I thought it was a penalty.

Worst "RIP The Beautiful Game" moment was Arsenal's Tierney going down holding his head after being hit on the side. That should be a retrospective ban.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:14 AM   #160
AlexB
Pro Starter

Guatemalan player hits himself with object thrown onto pitch

Last edited by AlexB : 02-24-2021 at 02:16 AM.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:02 AM   #161
miami_fan
Coordinator

I laughed way too much for that bit of ridiculousness.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 02-24-2021, 06:05 PM   #162
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Damn, CBS/Paramount ain't playin.

Soccer rights announced today:

2022 CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying (all games except those played in US/Mexico)
2023 CONCACAF Women's World Cup Qualifying
CONCACAF Nations League games (men's and Women's)

AND

Brasilero Serie A (the top level of Brazillian Soccer)
Argentina Premiera Division (top level of argentine soccer)
Old 02-24-2021, 06:22 PM   #163
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

They are going all in with CBSAA / Paramount+. Wouldn't be surprised if they made a big play for MLS rights in 2022.

Hell they may try for English Premier League, but those are ridiculously over valued right now

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 02-24-2021 at 06:23 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:31 PM   #164
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, but it's in the hands of their rival in the streaming sphere (Peacock), so it would be a major get, a double win (they get, peacock loses)
Old 02-24-2021, 06:40 PM   #165
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I wouldn't mind some consolidation. I have to pay for monthly packages from ESPN+, Peacock, and CBS All Access in addition to YoutubeTV just to watch all of City's matches.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:48 PM   #166
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

This is what I currently have for TV/Streaming rights:

Peacock/NBC
English Premier League

ESPN/ESPN+
Men's Leagues: Bundesliga (1 and 2), A-League (Aus). Italian Serie A Belgian League. English League Championship (and some lower division games), Dutch Eredivise, Indian Super League, Scottish Premiership (and some lower division games), Danish Super Liga, MLS (Shared), NCAA Soccer

Women's Leagues: Ligue 1 (FRA), NCAA Women's Soccer, W-League (Aus)

Cups: English League Cup, Scottish League Cup, Copa Del Rey (Spain), FA Cup, German Cup, Coppa Italia

International: European Nations League, Euro championship (qualifiers and main tournament)

Fox
MLS (Shared)
CONCACAF Champions League
USA NT (Games in US and Mexico)
Liga MX (Mexico)
2022 World Cup

BeIN Sports
Ligue 1 (France)
Turkish Super League
La Liga (Spain)
Copa Libertadores
Copa Sudamerica

GOL TV:
Liga NOS (Portugal)
Ecuador
Uruguay
Dutch Cup

TUDN
Mexico MNT Home Games

CBS Sports
CONCACAF Nations League (men/women)
Brazil Serie A
Argentina Primera Division
2022 Concacaf World Cup Qualifying (games not in US or Mexico)
2023 CONCACAF women's world cup qualifying
UEFA Champions League
UEFA Europa League
NWSL
Old 02-24-2021, 10:03 PM   #167
Critch
lolzcat

Hopefully they add the new soccer to the base level "with adverts" Paramount+ subscription plan and not the more pricy level.

I already have the Argentinian League from a Fanatiz subscription, which I've unfortunately just paid for a year of, but it'll be nice to get it with English language commentary. Looking forward to Brazileirao too, never thought I'd get the value for an extra $8 per month on Fanatiz.

Just canceled HBO Max, so I've got money to burn.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:12 AM   #168
Ksyrup

Yeah, I'm not doing all of these packages. I have ESPN+ because I use it to watch my daughter's games and even after she graduates, I'll watch a lot of secondary college sports. I will not pay for Peacock, or Discovery+, or any of these one-off streaming services. I don't care how much proprietary content they put on them.

I pay too much for service as it is and cutting the cord would cost me almost as much but with 100x the hassle of having to figure out which channels are on which service, how many screens we can use at once, and then there's the 1TB of DVR space that my wife uses quite a lot of. No way I'm giving that up.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:46 PM   #169
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

USSF had a meeting on saturday where it was agreed to remove the policy requiring players to stand for the anthem.

Sadly, it was not without controversy, as one delegate went on a seven minute rant, where he espoused that "Black slavery wasn't all that bad" and "There's no evidence black people are treated worse by police"

US Soccer Annual General Meeting shows DEI has long way to go - Stars and Stripes FC
Old 02-28-2021, 07:10 AM   #170
miami_fan
Coordinator

That does not look good for Barnes there, AlexB
Old 02-28-2021, 10:23 AM   #171
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
That does not look good for Barnes there, AlexB

I haven’t got the channel the game was on, but my brother said it looks like an ACL
Old 03-05-2021, 05:42 PM   #172
AlexB
Pro Starter

This week, a ridiculous handball decision against Fulham, and a perplexing offside against Chelsea. What VAR has made me realise is that if poor decisions are made in a split second it’s excusable, but it’s not excusable if poor decisions are made with the benefit of replay.

I’m too weak not to watch football while my contract expires, but I’m looking forward to a couple of weeks time when I no longer watch this farce
Old 03-05-2021, 06:55 PM   #173
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
This week, a ridiculous handball decision against Fulham, and a perplexing offside against Chelsea. What VAR has made me realise is that if poor decisions are made in a split second it’s excusable, but it’s not excusable if poor decisions are made with the benefit of replay.

I’m too weak not to watch football while my contract expires, but I’m looking forward to a couple of weeks time when I no longer watch this farce

Now that you mentioned it.

IFAB changes accidental handball rules after Fulham controversy

They are actually going to allow Lee Mason and Jonathan Moss just to name a few to "use their judgement". Good luck with that. I remember the noise that happened when IFAB ask them to do that a few years back.

I want to know who are the members of IFAB besides David Elleray and why they keep writing ambiguous laws of the game.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:10 PM   #174
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'm not really sure you can have it both ways though right? I mean if you write unambiguous rules you get a bunch of instances where it's massively harsh and there's nothing players can do about it, and people complain about it ruining the game. And then if you leave it somewhat up to interpretation... you get inconsistent decisions and people complaining about referees ruining the game.

Personally, I wish they'd just roll both rules back to what they were 20 years ago - handball needs to be deliberate in the eyes of the referee or denial of a clear goalscoring opportunity and if you are offside for any reason the flag goes up interfering with play or not, but maybe that's the nostalgia talking.

TLDR... I don't think you can by definition ever come up with a perfect set of rules now VAR is in the picture. Either you draw the line somewhere or you let referees use their judgement.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:19 PM   #175
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I'm not really sure you can have it both ways though right? I mean if you write unambiguous rules you get a bunch of instances where it's massively harsh and there's nothing players can do about it, and people complain about it ruining the game. And then if you leave it somewhat up to interpretation... you get inconsistent decisions and people complaining about referees ruining the game.

Personally, I wish they'd just roll both rules back to what they were 20 years ago - handball needs to be deliberate in the eyes of the referee or denial of a clear goalscoring opportunity and if you are offside for any reason the flag goes up interfering with play or not, but maybe that's the nostalgia talking.

TLDR... I don't think you can by definition ever come up with a perfect set of rules now VAR is in the picture. Either you draw the line somewhere or you let referees use their judgement.

You are right. I don't think you can have it both ways. If you are asking me, I want to know what the rules are and and officiate the game with a high level of consistency of those rules. Tell me what the specific rules of the game are and officiate the game in accordance with those rules. I also realize that the match officials are not going to be perfect. If there is a way to correct an objective error made by the match official then correct an objective error. I used the word objective purposefully. I think the clear and obvious standard once again ambiguous and nonsensical. That is why for me, using technology to enforce the current laws governing whether the ball goes over the line or not (my favorite one is below), offside offenses (even if it by the same margin as the below picture, you are either off sides or not) and handball (either it is hit your hand or it did not) is acceptable. The idea that we will see a thousand replays of an incident that is in violation of the laws and do nothing to change it because we don't like who did it, who it was done to, or it takes away a goal they was pretty to watch etc. does not make sense to me.

Liverpool denied opening goal against Man City by just 11mm | Daily Mail Online
Old 03-07-2021, 09:54 AM   #176
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

How many losses at Anfield this season, Jurgen?

Old 03-07-2021, 10:08 AM   #177
miami_fan
Coordinator

1. I generally prefer to watch Fulham in the Championship since they tend to win more games there while still playing the style I like. Despite that, I am happy they have given the club a chance to stay up.

2. I have to admit that I was wrong about Scott Parker as the permanent manager. I have been really impressed with the way he improve the squad this season.

3. Having all these games on Peacock has made me realize that I really enjoy listening to soccer on the radio.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:34 AM   #178
miami_fan
Coordinator

Manchester United penalty kick? Check.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:00 AM   #179
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah the championship is a great competitive league. Having seen Cardiff in person in the Prem twice in 2019 which was a lifelong ambition, I’m honestly not that fussed whether we go up again or not for the reasons you outline - the money is nice but our ceiling under current ownership is 17th and surviving by the skin of our teeth; so really what is the point?

We lost 4-1 to Watford and 3-0 to Everton at home by the way, and I missed the only Cardiff goal because we’d left to keep drinking by then. Thanks for asking
Old 03-09-2021, 03:15 PM   #180
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

VAR baby! Dortmund-Sevilla match and the ref goes back to review a foul in the box after Dortmund score a goal on a play that developed later on. He decides it was a penalty, so the goal that Dortmund eventually score is nullified and instead they get a penalty kick for the foul.

WTF

Edit: Now seeing a report that the goal Dortmund scored in open play was ruled out. I'm trying to work at the same time, so I must have missed that...

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 03-09-2021 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:15 PM   #181
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

And Erling Haaland is absolutely insane. I really hope he is the successor to Aguero.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 03-09-2021 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:17 PM   #182
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
VAR baby! Dortmund-Sevilla match and the ref goes back to review a foul in the box after Dortmund score a goal on a play that developed later on. He decides it was a penalty, so the goal that Dortmund eventually score is nullified and instead they get a penalty kick for the foul.

WTF

Edit: Now seeing a report that the goal Dortmund scored in open play was ruled out. I'm trying to work at the same time, so I must have missed that...

From the match report (‘he’ is Haaland)

Quote:
Early in the second half, he bullied his way past the Sevilla defence to find the net from a tight angle only to have the goal ruled out for a foul. But the video assistant referee awarded a penalty for a shirt-pull by Jules Kounde on Haaland in the build-up.

The Norwegian took the spot-kick himself and saw both his first attempt and his follow-up saved by Bounou.

The spectacle did not end there, however, as VAR determined Bounou had moved too early off his line and the penalty was taken again, with Haaland finally slotting home to give Dortmund a 5-2 advantage in the tie.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:56 PM   #183
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

The most blatant penalty you will ever see not awarded to City in the first half today. No idea how the VAR hasn't deemed that a foul on Foden. Absolutely scandalous!

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 03-10-2021 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:15 PM   #184
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Streamable Video
Old 03-15-2021, 09:41 AM   #185
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am not familiar with the player so I can't not speak to his quality.

Valencia's Yunus Musah picks United States over England
Old 03-15-2021, 04:54 PM   #186
AlexB
Pro Starter

FIFA, UEFA, IFAB... whoever the fuck you are, stop fucking around with the game. The ridiculous only flag for offside when the play is over rule has led to Rui Patricio being KO’d cold for no reason whatsoever.

The lino knew it was offside, was right, and flagged the millisecond Salah put the ball in the net. So the poor keeper has been down for 10 minutes an counting for no fucking reason.

I’ve said all along someone will get injured like this - game has been ruined by fucking idiots.

Last edited by AlexB : 03-15-2021 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 05:09 PM   #187
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Wolves No1 Rui Patricio suffers head injury and given oxygen after Coady collision as Sky Sports refuse to show replays
Old 03-15-2021, 05:23 PM   #188
bhlloy
Coordinator

That's the first confirmation he was conscious and talking I've seen, so that's good news at least.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:09 PM   #189
miami_fan
Coordinator

OUCH!

Old 03-21-2021, 01:14 PM   #190
AlexB
Pro Starter

Riyadh Mahrez, N’Golo Kante, Jamie Vardy... previously in the discussion for best Leicester player in history. I honestly think Wilfred Ndidi has suprassed them. He is unbelievably good at what he does.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:55 PM   #191
miami_fan
Coordinator

Over/under on the number of times that 9-0 is going to be reference before the semi finals?
Old 03-21-2021, 02:09 PM   #192
AlexB
Pro Starter

All I ask is we don’t score a 20 yard OG into the top corner in a semifinal again... one of my earliest live football memories...

1982 FA Cup Semi final - Leicester City Forum - FoxesTalk

Start at 24:00 for the OG
Old 03-24-2021, 09:53 PM   #193
Critch
lolzcat

Possibly the craziest rumor of recent history, there's a story going around that Real Madrid let James Rodriguez leave because he was planning on becoming a woman and the reason he's not playing for Everton now is because he's had his operation and now doesnt qualify as male so the FA say he cant play.

It's on both twitter and whatsap, so it must be true.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:00 AM   #194
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Possibly the craziest rumor of recent history, there's a story going around that Real Madrid let James Rodriguez leave because he was planning on becoming a woman and the reason he's not playing for Everton now is because he's had his operation and now doesnt qualify as male so the FA say he cant play.

It's on both twitter and whatsap, so it must be true.
"A niggling knock was considered to be minor at that stage, but James has not been seen since as he struggles to shake a problematic ailment."

Well that settles it. A "niggling knock"is exactly what I call my penis.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:32 AM   #195
miami_fan
Coordinator

Outside of this having anything to do with Rodriguez, I want the details of this to be true.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:09 PM   #196
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
"A niggling knock was considered to be minor at that stage, but James has not been seen since as he struggles to shake a problematic ailment."

Well that settles it. A "niggling knock"is exactly what I call my penis.

Maybe the problematic ailment is developing breasts?
Old 04-01-2021, 08:25 AM   #197
bob
College Starter

Germany lost to North Macedonia in WC qualifying.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:54 AM   #198
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Roberto Mancini said it best when he said, "This eez football."
Old 04-11-2021, 11:04 AM   #199
miami_fan
Coordinator

It looks like it is back down to the Championship for the Cottagers.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:38 PM   #200
miami_fan
Coordinator

European super league: Premier League ‘big six’ agree to join new competition | European club football | The Guardian

The only question I have is does this mean Fulham will stay up now?

Seriously, this is BS but hardly surprising.