Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-23-2022, 05:26 PM   #5401
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Sure, but after the last few SCOTUS decisions, it's pretty clear the idea that laws have to have been around for decades or centuries is going to be used as a reason to invalidate all sorts of things.

That screenshot is from today's ruling! They basically argued for and against originalism in the same ruling. It's just gibberish being put out.

Guys like Scalia were pretty big hacks but at least put a modicum of effort to hide their hypocrisy.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:39 PM   #5402
Flasch186
Coordinator

I just hope that they’ll stop the farce about precedence and starry dysisus (sic) in front of the senate. We know that’s just a sore and a hope they answer the questions as blandly as possible while nodding at precedence all the while knowing the days of precedence are over. They are getting on the court to make the change regardless of precedence so just say it.

Hypocrisy’s everywhere I’m afraid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:20 AM   #5403
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Roe v Wade is gone.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:28 AM   #5404
JPhillips
General Manager

And Thomas, in his concurrence, says the court should review Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell. They're coming after contraception, gay marriage, and criminalizing same-sex relationships.
Old 06-24-2022, 09:37 AM   #5405
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The party of individual freedom!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:43 AM   #5406
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The 5(+1) person majority...

Nader - Roberts, Alito
Stein - Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, Barrett

Old 06-24-2022, 09:53 AM   #5407
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
And Thomas, in his concurrence, says the court should review Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell. They're coming after contraception, gay marriage, and criminalizing same-sex relationships.

Surprised he didn't include Loving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
The 5(+1) person majority...

Nader - Roberts, Alito
Stein - Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, Barrett

RGB's hubris had a hand in Barrett.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:53 AM   #5408
JPhillips
General Manager

Pence, and I'm sure many others, are already calling for a nationwide ban. So much for sending it back to the states.
Old 06-24-2022, 09:56 AM   #5409
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Surprised he didn't include [i]Loving[/i

Give it time.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:08 AM   #5410
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Juxtaposing the Friday ruling against Thursday's ruling on guns, Pelosi criticized the court's stance.

"Such a contradiction. Yesterday, to say the states cannot make laws governing the constitutional right to bear arms. And today, they're saying the exact reverse that the states can overturn a constitutional right — for 50 years a constitutional right for women having the right to choose."

The hypocrisy never ends.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:13 AM   #5411
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The party of individual freedom!
The only freedom they care about is having a gun.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:24 AM   #5412
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The hypocrisy never ends.

Where in the constitution is abortion protected? It's a 10th amendement issue afaic.

Whereas we do have the 2nd amendment addressing gun rights.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:25 AM   #5413
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Alito flat out wrote in his opinion that there is no fundamental right to privacy. For any reason or purpose
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:26 AM   #5414
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Give it time.

Lol, I can imagine they would just have to add, “present company excluded” to the opinion to get Thomas’ signature.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:46 AM   #5415
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Where in the constitution is abortion protected? It's a 10th amendement issue afaic.

My issue as I wrote on the last page is the abject hypocrisy of sitting in front of the Senate and saying one thing all the damn while knowing you'd do the other. Hypocrisy is a scourge. It's a sin hidden in an ends justified the means manner and should be frowned upon. Unfortunately we live in a world where even evangelicals are willing to wink and nod at some sins while upholding as paramount others. Show me the totem pole in the Bible please as to which ones matter and which ones don't or at least a ranking system. That would be helpful to observors.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:56 AM   #5416
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:09 AM   #5417
Kodos
Resident Alien

Our country is embarrassing at this point.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:14 AM   #5418
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Republicans: The party that hates women and loves dead kids.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:15 AM   #5419
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
My issue as I wrote on the last page is the abject hypocrisy of sitting in front of the Senate and saying one thing all the damn while knowing you'd do the other. Hypocrisy is a scourge. It's a sin hidden in an ends justified the means manner and should be frowned upon. Unfortunately we live in a world where even evangelicals are willing to wink and nod at some sins while upholding as paramount others. Show me the totem pole in the Bible please as to which ones matter and which ones don't or at least a ranking system. That would be helpful to observors.

This, 4 of those justices in one way or another stated they considered Roe settled law, only to flip. We expect politicians to lie, embellish and back track. Jurists on the highest court in the land should be bound on their word and integrity should be foremost.

Instead, we have multiple liars and one whose wife quite literally tried to assist in the destruction of democracy.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:32 AM   #5420
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Where does it say corporations are people? Where does it say private schools are obligated to our tax dollars?

Heck, if you want to stick with the 2nd Amendment, where does it say people have a right to own guns outside the militia?
Old 06-24-2022, 11:34 AM   #5421
miami_fan
Coordinator

Manchin ‘alarmed’ by Kavanaugh, Gorsuch’s votes on Roe | The Hill

Quote:
“I trusted Justice Gorsuch and Justice Kavanaugh when they testified under oath that they also believed Roe v. Wade was settled legal precedent and I am alarmed they chose to reject the stability the ruling has provided for two generations of Americans,” Machin wrote.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I probably shouldn't laugh because of the decision he is talking about but this guy here. Shocked, shocked I tell you.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:50 AM   #5422
kingfc22
Head Coach

Dems need to ride this decision and message the hell out of it through these midterms and EVERY single election hereafter.

Will they, no.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:56 AM   #5423
Ksyrup

Manchin can commiserate with Susan Collins on how disappointed they are of people who have said one thing and done another.

The worst part is sitting up there and saying everything they said during confirmation hearings, and then signing on to an opinion that states "Roe was egregiously wrong from the start." I know there's no consequences so it doesn't matter, but I did expect some attempt to explain the decision in a way that wasn't 180 degrees different than what each of these people has expressed under oath.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-24-2022, 12:04 PM   #5424
bhlloy
Coordinator

I am very happy to be leaving this country in 2 weeks. Sad that I feel this way, and I’m sure many will say good riddance.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 12:11 PM   #5425
Kodos
Resident Alien

It's getting harder to believe that this country can recover from the downward slope that it is on.
Old 06-24-2022, 12:29 PM   #5426
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
It's getting harder to believe that this country can recover from the downward slope that it is on.

It can't.

The bigger picture for me is where we're going. Once we no longer agree upon a core set of fundamental values shared among the residents of all the "united" states, we are no longer a country. Eventually enough significant, fundamental issues are going to be left to the states - and in an attempt to enforce their own laws, states will criminalize acts of non-residents and others - where we will essentially need to issue passports to move from state to state. It's untenable.
Old 06-24-2022, 01:11 PM   #5427
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I am very happy to be leaving this country in 2 weeks. Sad that I feel this way, and I’m sure many will say good riddance.

I share this sadness. I immigrated here from England as a young boy in 1968. This country has given me an amazing life, enabled me to see so many amazing things, meet so many amazing people and affect the lives of so many young men in a positive way through coaching.

I proudly served this country in the Army, raised a family and supported our leaders, whether I agreed with them politically or not. I am literally the definition of the American dream, yet I no longer recognize the country that gave me so much and it breaks me, both mentally and emotionally.

We started talking about off shore retirement a couple of years ago, with the main focus being to make our retirement dollar go further. Now, a large part of this conversation centers around just not wanting to be in this country anymore because the division, anger and feeling that there is no place for me politically anymore is almost overwhelming at times.

I think the majority of people in this country share similar feelings/beliefs as me, yet they get drowned out by the extremes. Quite frankly, I feel the portion of this country making the most noise is entitled, ungrateful for what this country has given them and out of touch with reality, in terms of how fucking lucky they are. I don't know what kind of wake up call we need as a whole, but there will be a point when even that won't matter.
Old 06-24-2022, 01:15 PM   #5428
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Where does it say corporations are people? Where does it say private schools are obligated to our tax dollars?

Heck, if you want to stick with the 2nd Amendment, where does it say people have a right to own guns outside the militia?

Also where in the constitution does it state the government can impose loyalty pledges to foreign countries?
Old 06-24-2022, 01:16 PM   #5429
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Take me with you. I don't take up much room.
Old 06-24-2022, 01:19 PM   #5430
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I share this sadness. I immigrated here from England as a young boy in 1968. This country has given me an amazing life, enabled me to see so many amazing things, meet so many amazing people and affect the lives of so many young men in a positive way through coaching.

Other than it being Wales not England, and a few decades later we share very similar experiences. This was my dream country to immigrate to my whole life, now I doubt I'm even going to file for the permit that would allow me to reenter I'm so disillusioned with the whole mess.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 01:22 PM   #5431
Kodos
Resident Alien

A great first step to recovery would be forcing Texas out of the Union. Fuck them.
Old 06-24-2022, 01:27 PM   #5432
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Dems need to ride this decision and message the hell out of it through these midterms and EVERY single election hereafter.

Will they, no.
I don't know that it will matter. You already see young people saying "I voted and this still happened. Why bother?" Then you deal with the large number of Americans are not politically engaged at all. The mostly won't feel the affects of over-turning Roe. They feel daily the cost of gas and the price of groceries. That, they are going to make someone pay for, and the Democrats are in control.

If I were prone to conspiracy, I would probably look at how the gas companies along with other commodity providers almost seem to be purposely shorting goods to force higher prices. That along with the massive amounts of investor dollars forcing home prices and rents to go through the roof at the same tme, it almost seems a concerted effort to make sure Democrats have no chance.
Old 06-24-2022, 01:42 PM   #5433
BYU 14
Coordinator

You know, I wonder of the SCOTUS decision would have been released at this point in time, if the J6 hearings were not going on and looking so bad for so many.

It would not surprise me in the least if behind the scenes maneuvering influenced this to give Americans something new to focus on.
Old 06-24-2022, 01:59 PM   #5434
RainMaker
General Manager

4 of the 9 justices were appointed by a President who received fewer votes. They were also confirmed by a party in the Senate that received fewer votes.

The idea you can vote and get what you want is kind of silly when land matters far more than people in our Constitution.
Old 06-24-2022, 02:05 PM   #5435
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Lots of finger pointing about the "failure" to codify Roe. It's ridiculous to think that this same court wouldn't have overturned a Federal law that codified abortion rights.

Old 06-24-2022, 02:29 PM   #5436
JPhillips
General Manager

And lots of magical thinking that codifying Roe would be the end. The GOP would just nuke it the next time they are in power. There's no procedural trick to win this fight.

Now, that being said, Dems better have a more robust plan than singing God Bless America on the steps. That was embarrassing.
Old 06-24-2022, 02:39 PM   #5437
RainMaker
General Manager

It's about abortion. That's why they want to make it harder to get contraceptives that reduce the number of abortions in this country.

Old 06-24-2022, 03:09 PM   #5438
PilotMan
Head Coach

Dark day today. Dark fucking day.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 03:19 PM   #5439
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Even with the leak, Congressional Dems seem . . . surprised? by this.

If they weren't the entity standing between us and undemocratic white nationalist theocracy, it would almost be impressive to watch their incompetence.

Instead, we have to depend on them somehow saving us blind-squirrel-finding-a-nut style.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 03:20 PM   #5440
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Betcha reps will celebrate by making a baby they don't want and then...oh...
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 03:27 PM   #5441
sabotai
General Manager

There should be a concerted effort to make the name Susan Collins synonymous with gullibility.

"Wow, you actually fell for the Nigerian prince scam? You're a real Susan Collins."
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 03:51 PM   #5442
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
There should be a concerted effort to make the name Susan Collins synonymous with gullibility.

"Wow, you actually fell for the Nigerian prince scam? You're a real Susan Collins."

you do know this is all an act don't you? Or did you Susan Collins that response?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 04:53 PM   #5443
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Susan Collins reflects her voters--conservatives who want to appear moderate. There's a reason she's won reelection eleventy-billion times.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 05:05 PM   #5444
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
A great first step to recovery would be forcing Texas out of the Union. Fuck them.

Let me out before the border closes, please! I'm trying to change things from the inside, and I genuinely feel we can get there eventually, but it may take too long. Today is depressing as all hell.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 05:27 PM   #5445
Ksyrup

So it'll be as little as 6 months between "the individual states should decide abortion rights" and a red wave in November after which these same people will be falling over themselves to file the national abortion ban legislation.

And the kicker will be when they don't have 60 votes in the Senate so they nuke the filibuster to do it.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-24-2022 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-24-2022, 05:45 PM   #5446
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So it'll be as little as 6 months between "the individual states should decide abortion rights" and a red wave in November after which these same people will be falling over themselves to file the national abortion ban legislation.

And the kicker will be when they don't have 60 votes in the Senate so they nuke the filibuster to do it.

Not until 2025. Biden would veto, and the Constitution requires 2/3 votes to overturn a Presidential Veto. DeSantis or Trump will enact Gilead.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 06:31 PM   #5447
Arles
Grey Dog Software

It will be fascinating to see all the christian conservatives rejoicing in today's decision saying, a few years down the line, how they don't want to raise taxes to pay for the cost of welfare due to the increase in the number of poor kids born due to less access to contraception.

This is like removing all toothbrushes and toothpaste from your house and then bitching about the dentist bill two years later. All actions have consequences (many not fully realized at the time).
Old 06-24-2022, 06:40 PM   #5448
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Your country is so fucked up.

But seriously, would it not make a lot more sense to just split into three countries at this point? You have the northeast/midwest, so say Minnesota and Iowa as a western border, a southern border of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Virginia, and West Virginia and then Canada and the Atlantic as the north and east borders.

Then you have the west, which is Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and Utah.

And basically that whole middle area and southeast can be as conservative as they want.

It's not perfect as far as red states - blue states but it's close and gives each of the three countries some defined structure.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 06:45 PM   #5449
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
Your country is so fucked up.

But seriously, would it not make a lot more sense to just split into three countries at this point? You have the northeast/midwest, so say Minnesota and Iowa as a western border, a southern border of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Virginia, and West Virginia and then Canada and the Atlantic as the north and east borders.

Then you have the west, which is Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and Utah.

And basically that whole middle area and southeast can be as conservative as they want.

It's not perfect as far as red states - blue states but it's close and gives each of the three countries some defined structure.

The logistics and impact of any state or states breaking away is such that it's not remotely feasible.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 06:55 PM   #5450
GrantDawg

Freakanomics suggested that abortion becoming legal correlated to crime reduction. How can we sell this as Republicans being soft on crime?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk