Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-13-2014, 09:25 PM   #151
Logan
Head Coach

There's some real crazy shit visible on Twitter.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:38 PM   #152
JPhillips
General Manager

SWAT just invade McDonald's where I'm working/recharging. Asked for ID when I took photo. pic.twitter.com/FOIsMnBwHy

— Ryan J. Reilly (@ryanjreilly) August 13, 2014

Police come into McD where me and @ryanjreilly working. Try to kick everyone out.

— Wesley Lowery (@WesleyLowery) August 13, 2014

"We cannot guarantee your safety. We will not be answering 911 calls"

Was arrested

— Wesley Lowery (@WesleyLowery) August 14, 2014

Officers decided we weren't leaving McDonalds quickly enough, shouldn't have been taping them.

Released without any charges, no paperwork whatsoever

Officers slammed me into a fountain soda machine because I was confused about which door they were asking me to walk out of

Well, @WesleyLowery and I have been released. That was an experience.

— Ryan J. Reilly (@ryanjreilly) August 14, 2014

Police now say there might be a report available to Ryan and I in "a week or two"

Old 08-13-2014, 09:44 PM   #153
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Gotta love the liberals. Been talking about the militarization of the police on here for years and was laughed at and called a loon but now that it's a racial thing they suddenly have found Jesus.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:45 PM   #154
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
SWAT just invade McDonald's where I'm working/recharging. Asked for ID when I took photo. pic.twitter.com/FOIsMnBwHy

— Ryan J. Reilly (@ryanjreilly) August 13, 2014

Police come into McD where me and @ryanjreilly working. Try to kick everyone out.

"We cannot guarantee your safety. We will not be answering 911 calls"

Was arrested

Officers decided we weren't leaving McDonalds quickly enough, shouldn't have been taping them.

Released without any charges, no paperwork whatsoever

Officers slammed me into a fountain soda machine because I was confused about which door they were asking me to walk out of

Well, @WesleyLowery and I have been released. That was an experience.

— Ryan J. Reilly (@ryanjreilly) August 14, 2014

Police now say there might be a report available to Ryan and I in "a week or two"

August 14? Am I missing something?
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:45 PM   #155
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
I wonder what Mr. Brown or his friend did or said that prompted the officer to back up after driving away?

Could have been anything. I could easily see a case where a cop goes to drive off, the kids either yell an expletive or flip the cop off, and then the cop goes back to teach them a lesson. Easily. Cops don't like taking shit. You don't afford the wrong cop the "proper respect" and you're being combative, or resisting arrest, and cuffed or pressed down against the pavement.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:48 PM   #156
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
August 14? Am I missing something?

My guess is GMT rather than Central.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #157
RainMaker
General Manager

It is kind of funny how they can afford all these weapons and tools but not a dashboard cam.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:53 PM   #158
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
There's some real crazy shit visible on Twitter.
Nothing about this part surprises me. Happened every time they brought in outside riot police officers at UMass too. You have an us vs. them and a mob mentality on both sides, and the police find one or two dumb people and use it to crack down on everyone, including the 98% that is just standing around and posing no threat.

I've stayed out of the rest because we have no real idea what happened during the confrontation, but I completely believe the cop started it. Good cops can handle that situation easily - either ignore it or use a calm reasonable tone when telling the person to move to the sidewalk. Arrogant dicks who feel the need to assert their power will gun the engine back there and escalate the situation. Even if the kid did start a physical altercation then the whole situation was caused by a cop who felt he had to assert dominance.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:58 PM   #159
Logan
Head Coach

Not a good look for the PD to order the media to turn off their cameras as they advance with a riot squad.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:59 PM   #160
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Not a good look for the PD to order the media to turn off their cameras as they advance with a riot squad.

Or arresting them at fast food joints.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #161
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Gotta love the liberals. Been talking about the militarization of the police on here for years and was laughed at and called a loon but now that it's a racial thing they suddenly have found Jesus.

Well aren't you just so much better than all the rest of us.

Is that what you wanted to hear? Will you STFU now?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:16 PM   #162
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Well aren't you just so much better than all the rest of us.

Is that what you wanted to hear? Will you STFU now?

I thought I was on your ignore list?

I didn't even realize you even posted anything in this thread about police militarization at all but so sorry you took such great offense.

Last edited by panerd : 08-13-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:33 PM   #163
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Par for the course. I've seen plenty of cell phones/cameras "confiscated" and people threatened with arrest for recording police (and when the person actually knew their rights and refused they'd switch to the ubiquitous "Failure to Disperse")

Fact is, the police basically do have carte blanche to do what they want in the moment. Everything gets thrown out in court, but there's no punishment on the police side. Maybe some " extra training" or a paid suspension until the hearing clears them.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #164
PilotMan
Head Coach

Here Are the Emergency Dispatch Calls From the Day Michael Brown Died

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:39 PM   #165
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Jeopardizes the operation if they're tipping it ahead of time. (Sounds as they this occurred at the staging area, based on the McDonald's bit).
Old 08-13-2014, 10:39 PM   #166
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I thought I was on your ignore list?

I didn't even realize you even posted anything in this thread about police militarization at all but so sorry you took such great offense.

You are - occasionally I peek in on ignore-listed folks.

It's not even about me taking offense - I don't care what you think of me. It's just your whole shtick is so tired man. You never fail to take ANY current event, political or otherwise, and bend it to your standard "I'M A LIBERTARIAN...I'VE BEEN SAYING THIS FOR YEARS...HAR HAR STUPID (R)'s AND (D)'s WHO ARE JUST SAYING IT NOW."

We all get it alright - you can stop, and maybe...idk - contribute something actually topical and useful instead of the same old cliched post by you.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:47 PM   #167
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You are - occasionally I peek in on ignore-listed folks.

It's not even about me taking offense - I don't care what you think of me. It's just your whole shtick is so tired man. You never fail to take ANY current event, political or otherwise, and bend it to your standard "I'M A LIBERTARIAN...I'VE BEEN SAYING THIS FOR YEARS...HAR HAR STUPID (R)'s AND (D)'s WHO ARE JUST SAYING IT NOW."

We all get it alright - you can stop, and maybe...idk - contribute something actually topical and useful instead of the same old cliched post by you.

Too bad I'm on ignore because I posted what the police statement is going to be a couple of pages ago and it got lost in the back and forth over some Internet article. Seems to happen to everyone I guess? Your problem is you take it so personal. I'd report you telling me to shut the fuck up but I don't care that much though you are the one way out of line in this thread.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:48 PM   #168
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
the whole situation was caused by a cop who felt he had to assert dominance

I think that's probably what it boils down to. For some cops, these aren't citizens. They're subjects. And if those subjects don't bow to their feudal masters, their betters, they get pissed.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:53 PM   #169
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Too bad I'm on ignore because I posted what the police statement is going to be a couple of pages ago and it got lost in the back and forth over some Internet article. Seems to happen to everyone I guess? Your problem is you take it so personal. I'd report you telling me to shut the fuck up but I don't care that much though you are the one way out of line in this thread.

I already told you - I don't take it personally. I don't take anything on the internet personally at all. I just roll my eyes because you never miss an opportunity to toss in your cliched "Libertarian superiority" post. And every so often I think it's important that somebody calls you out on that - just as every so often I think it's important that somebody call out JIMGA for his stuff.

Go ahead and report it - If I get boxed for saying STFU that would be...unprecedented.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:53 PM   #170
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Jeopardizes the operation if they're tipping it ahead of time. (Sounds as they this occurred at the staging area, based on the McDonald's bit).

No it didn't occur there. And it didn't "jeopardize" anything; it was just illegal.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:06 PM   #171
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I already told you - I don't take it personally. I don't take anything on the internet personally at all. I just roll my eyes because you never miss an opportunity to toss in your cliched "Libertarian superiority" post. And every so often I think it's important that somebody calls you out on that - just as every so often I think it's important that somebody call out JIMGA for his stuff.

Go ahead and report it - If I get boxed for saying STFU that would be...unprecedented.

You responded in anger to something I wrote to another board member and not to you. Seems to be the definition of taking something personally.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:16 PM   #172
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No it didn't occur there. And it didn't "jeopardize" anything; it was just illegal.

I got no further on this (non) story than the Twitter stream posted here.

I was strictly making a stab at it based on a) how often I've seen/known of operations being staged from places such as McDonald's and b) the phrasing that made it sound like the encounter was pre-operation.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:22 PM   #173
Subby
lolzcat

In Ferguson, Washington Post reporter Wesley Lowery gives account of his arrest - The Washington Post
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:25 PM   #174
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm claiming half credit at least

Quote:
For the past week in Ferguson, reporters have been using the McDonald’s a few blocks from the scene of Michael Brown’s shooting as a staging area
Old 08-13-2014, 11:29 PM   #175
Subby
lolzcat

keithlaw 11:15pm via Twitter for iPhone

I'm guessing Vladimir Putin and Bashar al-Assad are thinking, "Oh, sure, but when WE do this stuff..."
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 08-13-2014, 11:32 PM   #176
Subby
lolzcat

mattdpearce 11:45pm via Twitter for iPhone

STL County Police Chief Belmar: "We've done everything we can to demonstrate a remarkable amount of restraint."

Right - aside from shooting the unarmed teenager. And the full-scale military response. But yeah - everything SINCE then...

Old 08-13-2014, 11:33 PM   #177
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
And the full-scale military response.

If only.

Oh, if only.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:38 PM   #178
Subby
lolzcat

Michael Ian Black @michaelianblack ท 2h

People confused about the right wing's lack of solidarity with #ferguson, you may not have taken racism into account.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:39 PM   #179
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
mattdpearce 11:45pm via Twitter for iPhone

STL County Police Chief Belmar: "We've done everything we can to demonstrate a remarkable amount of restraint."

Right - aside from shooting the unarmed teenager. And the full-scale military response. But yeah - everything SINCE then...

It probably took a ton of restraint to only use one canister of tear gas on these reporters.

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:52 PM   #180
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
It probably took a ton of restraint to only use one canister of tear gas on these reporters.

Given the typical media bias (and I've been on both sides of that don't forget), it's an enormous amount of restraint.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:59 PM   #181
RainMaker
General Manager

If your officers require that kind of response they are colossal pussies.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:03 AM   #182
Groundhog
Coordinator

Clip of that image.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:05 AM   #183
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Clip of that image.

Is that caption (identifying Al-Jazerra as the source) for real?
Old 08-14-2014, 12:10 AM   #184
Groundhog
Coordinator

The camera crew were Al-Jazeera, yes. The source of the particular video, no.

Last edited by Groundhog : 08-14-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:11 AM   #185
Groundhog
Coordinator

People in Gaza tweeting tips to Ferguson locals on how to handle tear gas... what an interesting day.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:33 AM   #186
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The camera crew were Al-Jazeera, yes. The source of the particular video, no.

Yeah, I got that (sorry if my question wasn't clear), it was just so ... "you gotta be kidding me" that I couldn't be sure if it was p'shopped.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:44 AM   #187
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Huffington Post Reporter Arrested In Ferguson

Two reporters arrested in Ferguson.

This escalated quickly.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:50 AM   #188
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I guess this shit doesn't just happen in third world countries like mine.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:52 AM   #189
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

Which of us liberals laughed at you and called you a loon about this issue?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:47 AM   #190
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Wow, the police dept. did not even know it was a shooting until the news called them and let them know? Why would a seasoned police officer not immediately call dispatch and advise of the shooting?
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:56 AM   #191
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am almost always going to side with the police, but the longer this drags on the harder it is to give them any benefit of the doubt in this situation.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:30 AM   #192
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Yeah, I got that (sorry if my question wasn't clear), it was just so ... "you gotta be kidding me" that I couldn't be sure if it was p'shopped.

Al Jazeera America has been operating here for about a year and has 12 bureaus across the country in addition to its NYC HQ.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:49 AM   #193
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

+1

I've given him hell about other things, but I'm with him about the militarization of police forces.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:51 AM   #194
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

Seriously. Last time I checked, the "liberals" have been concerned about the militarization of police forces for a good long time now.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:55 AM   #195
Klinglerware
College Starter

Anonymous is on the case.

If these are legit, this also demonstrates the futility and counter-productiveness (at least from a PR perspective) of the police attempts to impede communication flow. The ability of hackers to obtain these files along with the ability of the press and the general public to easily document and disseminate information to the outside world really should make the police leadership think carefully about the implications of their decision-making. Regardless of police intent, attempting to discourage press coverage and arresting reporters are going to have consequences--at the very least, giving the leadership yet another headache to deal with that could have easily been avoided.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #196
Klinglerware
College Starter

Speaking of anonymous...

Anonymous launches cyber attack on Ferguson after teen shooting | WTVR.com

It looks like they have been successful in their threats to compromise the City government's communications infrastructure and the security of its employee's personal information.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #197
Groundhog
Coordinator

Anonymous have leaked the shooter's identity, too.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #198
cuervo72
Head Coach

I'm not a liberal (though I've certainly become less conservative the past few years), but I'm pretty sure I voiced reservations concerning the lockdown of Boston last year.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:50 AM   #199
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You responded in anger to something I wrote to another board member and not to you. Seems to be the definition of taking something personally.

Nope - not at all. I just think it's important that people call you out on your tired constant refrain from time to time, and since nobody else was, I decided to.

There was no anger. You haven't seen my anger if you think that was "anger." I don't get "angry" at internet stuff.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-14-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #200
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Clip of that image.