Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #5401
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Signs of voter fraud in Maine GOP Maine Chairman- 'Dozens, Dozens Of Black People' Voted - YouTube
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #5402
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

I totally thought that was a joke. --- "Nobody knows anyone who is black!"

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #5403
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

How long until the states with secession petitions look at reincorporating slavery in their new, improved Nobamaland?

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #5404
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I totally thought that was a joke. --- "Nobody knows anyone who is black!"

As of 2010 census, Maine has the 6th lowest percentage (1.2%) black population in the U.S. The raw number - 15,707 "Black or African-American Alone" - is almost astonishing to consider.

It's not at all unrealistic to think that you could live in Maine & literally not know a single black person in your voting district.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #5405
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

This is absolutely fucking laughable.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #5406
stevew
Hall Of Famer

What better?
Binders full of women or dozens of blacks.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #5407
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
As of 2010 census, Maine has the 6th lowest percentage (1.2%) black population in the U.S. The raw number - 15,707 "Black or African-American Alone" - is almost astonishing to consider.

It's not at all unrealistic to think that you could live in Maine & literally not know a single black person in your voting district.

If you live in Aroostook County, I'd agree.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #5408
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
If you live in Aroostook County, I'd agree.

Or even in Saco. According to the 2000 census, out of nearly 17,000 people, there were only 54 blacks.

Even in Georgia (Forsyth County), only 688 blacks out of 98,000 (again, in 2000) but that's not a good example since there has been a lot of press about that county. Sorry.

Here in the West, I would suspect that a number of counties have zero blacks, particularly the ones that have low population totals.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #5409
molson
General Manager

And I wonder how many of the rural Maine blacks are resettled refugees that probably aren't mingling too much with the locals, who might not even know they're there. I have no idea what the numbers are in different states. but Idaho has a pretty large resettled refugee population relative to the state population, and under that program you can gain citizenship (and the right to vote) in 5 years. There's a fair amount of African refugees here, but most of them don't tend to stray far from one particular neighborhood.

Last edited by molson : 11-15-2012 at 10:23 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #5410
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I have no idea what the numbers are in different states.

In hindsight it was lazy of me not to link my source.

Here's the article with a few highlights, the entire table is linked within as a pdf
Census 2010 News | 2010 Census Shows Black Population has Highest Concentration in the South

Idaho is less than half the rate of Maine btw, just 0.6%
Old 11-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #5411
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
In hindsight it was lazy of me not to link my source.

Here's the article with a few highlights, the entire table is linked within as a pdf
Census 2010 News | 2010 Census Shows Black Population has Highest Concentration in the South

Idaho is less than half the rate of Maine btw, just 0.6%

Ya, I can see 20 black people showing up to a polling place together to vote in Idaho and people wondering, "who the heck are these people?", but I've also been to the Lutheran church that works with the refugee program and have seen how the refugees can pack that place for various community activities. They really seem to lay low otherwise, you don't see them around town. (the goal of the programs is cultural immersion, but that's pretty tough when you're an adult Somali who ends up in Boise, Idaho one day.)

I have no idea if that's what's going on in Maine, but that's what came to mind when I heard what that guy said.

Last edited by molson : 11-15-2012 at 11:21 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #5412
cuervo72
Head Coach

I grew up in lower Bucks County, maybe five miles from the border of NE Philly. Granted, this was 30 years ago, but I can't recall interacting with any blacks until I was maybe 12 or 13, and that was a coach and a few kids who traveled from Morrisville to play on my township football team. Wait, I take that back - Mailman Bill. But other than that, I can't think of anyone. No black kids in any of my class or team pictures (outside of the one football team) until I was in HS. And then I remember like...I don't know, less than a dozen.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 11-15-2012 at 10:59 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #5413
Buccaneer
Head Coach

So maybe it's not a joke or so fucking laughable?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #5414
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
So maybe it's not a joke or so fucking laughable?

Being surprised that there are dozens of black people in rural Maine areas = not a joke or so fucking laughable
Saying dozens of black people voting in rural Maine means voter fraud = a joke and very fucking laughable.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:26 PM   #5415
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I grew up in lower Bucks County, maybe five miles from the border of NE Philly. Granted, this was 30 years ago, but I can't recall interacting with any blacks until I was maybe 12 or 13, and that was a coach and a few kids who traveled from Morrisville to play on my township football team. Wait, I take that back - Mailman Bill. But other than that, I can't think of anyone. No black kids in any of my class or team pictures (outside of the one football team) until I was in HS. And then I remember like...I don't know, less than a dozen.

One of my best friends when I was growing was a black kid my own age but the thing is, he lived in a rural area across the street from my grandparents. We always looked forward to getting together whenever I visited. Even though I grew up south of Syracuse, there were no blacks in my vicinity and none at my K-6 school the whole time I was there. I never knew why on either one and maybe I don't want to know. In my travels throughout most parts of the US, I still notice we live in a very segregated society. Maybe that will change.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:27 PM   #5416
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Webster apologizes for comments about black voters | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #5417
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Maybe next time I'll read the link instead of going off on a tangent.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:38 PM   #5418
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Being surprised that there are dozens of black people in rural Maine areas = not a joke or so fucking laughable
Saying dozens of black people voting in rural Maine means voter fraud = a joke and very fucking laughable.
That's what I was implying. The idea that someone would bus black people - from Portland, let alone out of state - in to rural Maine as their voting scam is pretty hilarious.

(Fwiw Molson, there is a notable Somali refugee community in Portland - not sure if there are other clusters in the more rural towns because, quite frankly, I don't ever go there. When the bullet holes per stop sign start outnumbering the number of cute girls in town, I tend to turn back around.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 11-15-2012 at 11:40 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #5419
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I remember a business trip I made to Tulsa in '98/'99. Coming from Memphis there was something jarring, but I couldn't figure it out until I went to dinner. I did not see a single black person while I was there. I don't recall seeing any minorities while there, but not seeing any blacks was jarring since Shelby County, TN is 49% black.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #5420
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I remember a business trip I made to Tulsa in '98/'99. Coming from Memphis there was something jarring, but I couldn't figure it out until I went to dinner. I did not see a single black person while I was there. I don't recall seeing any minorities while there, but not seeing any blacks was jarring since Shelby County, TN is 49% black.

Certainly nowhere close to 49%, but Tulsa is actually fairly diverse. I believe its African-American population is higher than the national average. I grew up there and was fortunately exposed to a number of different cultures. When I moved to a rural area in high school where the black population was literally zero, it was a harsh introduction to some attitudes I had never seen before.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #5421
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Man I'm still in a Romney lost depression, Big ron Paul guy overall. but damn I wanted Obama to lose
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #5422
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Well, he and others are just doubling down on stupid. That piece reads exactly like what people like O'Reilly are saying...people vote for Obama because they get stuff. As if the only reason to vote for him is that targeted groups are getting things...which is funny because I think the same case could be made for certain groups of people supporting Romney.

The thing about O'Reilly (or Dick Morris or quite a few others) is that he understands his audience and knows what he's selling. If you know you're wrong- you just double down and/or create a new narrative that obfuscates what really happened.

There are some honest, sober reflections in this, too (Frum's comes to mind).

But quite a lot of these election reactions (Karl Rove??) make me think they didn't see it coming and were starting to drink their own kool-aid. That's dangerous: you can't start using the product you're selling. Otherwise, you risk not knowing what is actually true and how to tether your narrative to the facts.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #5423
Swaggs
Coordinator

Bump...

Kind of funny how many votes are still being counted. The current totals have Obama up by 4.5-million total votes (and still counting) and about 3.5%, which is hard to believe considering how close the election seemed and felt.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #5424
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Bump...

Kind of funny how many votes are still being counted. The current totals have Obama up by 4.5-million total votes (and still counting) and about 3.5%, which is hard to believe considering how close the election seemed and felt.

Also amusing that Romney's % of the popular vote has now fallen (rounded) to 47%.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #5425
JPhillips
General Manager

We have the worst election system in the industrialized world. It's a fucking embarrassment, especially after the 2000 election.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #5426
Thomkal
Head Coach

I'm so glad the Sheldon Adelson's of the world (who himself spent $150 million on Romney, Gingrich, and anyone not named Obama in the recent election,) will get the chance to respend that money and then some thanks to some financial wizardry that lets him screw the government he tried to take over.

Sheldon Adelson's Fiscal Cliff Dividend Recouped A Year Of Campaign Spending In ONE Day
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #5427
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I'm so glad the Sheldon Adelson's of the world (who himself spent $150 million on Romney, Gingrich, and anyone not named Obama in the recent election,) will get the chance to respend that money and then some thanks to some financial wizardry that lets him screw the government he tried to take over.

Sheldon Adelson's Fiscal Cliff Dividend Recouped A Year Of Campaign Spending In ONE Day

Uh...look at Costco, whose CEO was a big, big Obama supporter (and have guys like Bill Gates, Sr. on the board). They just did the same exact thing.

Why is it bad for Adelson to influence politics, but it's okay for Soros?

Last edited by Galaxy : 12-06-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #5428
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Uh...look at Costco, whose CEO was a big, big Obama supporter (and have guys like Bill Gates, Sr. on the board). They just did the same exact thing.

They were big Obama supporters, but at a fraction of the amount that Adelson contributed. Soros seems to be the go-to bogeyman in the blogs on the right, but the amount he contributed was minuscule compared to others.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #5429
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Adelson was the one I knew about-Not fond of any who did this regardless of political party/agenda. You'll note I said the "Sheldon Adelson's of the world"
Old 12-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #5430
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

Personally I don't think any corporation (or individual) should be contributing huge amounts to a political campaign just to further their own views or agenda.

I'd personally like to see campaigns which:

* Talk about policies which would be implemented
* Don't insult people they're running again
* Some sort of rudimentary sanity checking on that policies a candidate can indicate they'd implement - ie. no pie in the sky, I'll give everyone a unicorn policy declarations when they can't be met.
* Involve 'standard' funding across the parties involved (ie. set funding allowance - the same for both parties), preferably without swamping people in advertising during the election.

(yes I know its not likely to happen - but hey I can dream)

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 12-06-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #5431
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Personally I don't think any corporation (or individual) should be contributing huge amounts to a political campaign just to further their own views or agenda.

I'd personally like to see campaigns which:

* Talk about policies which would be implemented
* Don't insult people they're running again
* Some sort of rudimentary sanity checking on that policies a candidate can indicate they'd implement - ie. no pie in the sky, I'll give everyone a unicorn policy declarations when they can't be met.
* Involve 'standard' funding across the parties involved (ie. set funding allowance - the same for both parties), preferably without swamping people in advertising during the election.

(yes I know its not likely to happen - but hey I can dream)

I agree with you. I would throw in unions and PACs on issue campaigns to the "ban" list as well. I also want to create easier access for other parties as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Adelson was the one I knew about-Not fond of any who did this regardless of political party/agenda. You'll note I said the "Sheldon Adelson's of the world"

I'm not sure how I feel about it, really. Anyone would try to reduce their tax liabilities, and I'm guessing that the thinking for the wealthy people is if you can pull out enough to cover your income streams for the next four years while not being hit with higher taxes-and for corporations to return dividends (along with private businesses and investments) to their shareholders at lower rates-then I don't necessarily "blame" them. It's just what happens.

Last edited by Galaxy : 12-06-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #5432
Thomkal
Head Coach

According to his son, Romney didn't really want to be President:

Tagg Romney: Mitt 'Wanted To Be President Less Than Anyone I've Met'

Good thing that worked out for him then
Old 12-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #5433
Jon
High School Varsity

Maybe Tagg needs to meet more people?
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:55 PM   #5434
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Without getting into the details of the abortion issue personally, I have to say that I find it interesting how so many anti-abortion advocates (both politicians themselves but also movement leaders) accept the exceptions for things like rape and incest. If you firmly believe that abortion is murder, then what does it say about you if you support abortion if the pregnancy arises from a horrific source like that? It's then proper to execute the baby? Really?

There are logical consistencies in the firm pro-life position, in my opinion. And there are logical consistencies in the firm pro-choice position as well, again in my opinion. But I'm not sure how you can square that compromise position, even in the name of political expediency, without resorting to some sort of ugly pragmatic game theory.

Interesting to see the evolution of this. Based on the debate last night, it seems that more GOP politicians are taking the "abortion is murder and always wrong" v. the "abortion is murder, but allowable in certain cases" position.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote