Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-16-2015, 09:35 AM   #201
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
That's the definition of DVR-proof, which is what molson was saying.

Oh duh... I read that wrong.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #202
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The Hollywood Reporter is also talking ESPN's woes, esp why it's cutting so much of its talent (from Olbermann to Simmons and it seems like Cowherd is leaving as well):

From Keith Olbermann to Bill Simmons, Why ESPN Is Sacking Top Talent - Hollywood Reporter - The Hollywood Reporter
Old 07-16-2015, 11:19 AM   #203
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I thought that too at first but there's nothing in there that isn't within a solid realm of possibility. Fox will be affected by this too. Give it a read and tell me what you think is being overcritical of ESPN and we can discuss it.

The idea that there is a "bubble" that is going to pop like the stock market or real estate market did is hyperbole. It has been and will continue to be a slow leak. It's been going on for a while now, far too long for it to be a surprise to anyone.

In the meantime, ESPN has the luxury of trying out a lot of different options to see what works. There are probably many more options than either stopping cord-cutters or offering a standalone product at $30+.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:19 AM   #204
Logan
Head Coach

I think the amount of money saved on talent pales in comparison to what some of their expenses are, but I guess you have to start somewhere.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:24 AM   #205
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It's basically the canary in the mine. And its things they can easily get out of now.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:27 AM   #206
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
The idea that there is a "bubble" that is going to pop like the stock market or real estate market did is hyperbole. It has been and will continue to be a slow leak. It's been going on for a while now, far too long for it to be a surprise to anyone.

In the meantime, ESPN has the luxury of trying out a lot of different options to see what works. There are probably many more options than either stopping cord-cutters or offering a standalone product at $30+.

Okay I can agree with you on the hyperbole. But when you have expenses in the billions that are locked in for many years, even slow leaks can be pretty traumatic to a business model. I'm very interested in seeing what some of the effects could end up being.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:43 PM   #207
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

is there any way to get an RSN without cable?

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:57 PM   #208
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Finally getting around to doing this. My Directv contract ends in Nov. I'm thinking of getting sling for espn and an indoor antenna to get my locals, which should work as I'm within good range of Louisville. I can go from $135 a month to roughly $50 for sling and netflix.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:08 PM   #209
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think DTV is only $20/mo to cancel early
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:52 PM   #210
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Are there any updates on Sling?

I realized I really don't watch that much TV and seeing if I can cut some costs over the next few months.

Figuring I watch mainly NBA/NHL over winter, I think ESPN + TNT + HGTV (and using my brother's account information to stream NBC Sports Live) should be more than enough.

Anyone here been using the service over the last few months? Thoughts?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:03 PM   #211
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Are there any updates on Sling?

I realized I really don't watch that much TV and seeing if I can cut some costs over the next few months.

Figuring I watch mainly NBA/NHL over winter, I think ESPN + TNT + HGTV (and using my brother's account information to stream NBC Sports Live) should be more than enough.

Anyone here been using the service over the last few months? Thoughts?

I have been using Sling and enjoy it just fine. I finally cut the cord last month and just have an OTA HD antenna, Netflix, Amazon and Sling and have more than enough T.V. I was worried on the sport front, but have actually not missed anything of importance to me. Having both ESPN's, AMC, History, TNT and TBS and a few movie channels on Sling is really just fine with me. I stream it through my Xbox and the only issue I get is a slight delay in buffering (probably more due to my www speed) and a slight delay in sports. Whenever ESPN has a game on and ABC/Fox/CBS also does, I can just change the input as quick as changing the channel and keep up on all I want.

So, I like it.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:11 PM   #212
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, Sling is alright. It can be glitchy at times. But generally, it's ok. And when it's being glitchy and you want to watch ESPN, it gives you WatchESPN access (I wish it did the same for AMC, mind).
Old 11-02-2015, 06:46 PM   #213
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

Been using Sling for many months now and am happy with it. It can sometimes glitch but more recently over the last two months I've had almost no issues. If you look online you will find a mix bag. Some people will swear it is the worst thing ever and is down 90% of the time. Not sure if it is a hardware issue or what for them but there are plenty of people not having many issues as well. You may want to give the free trial a spin first to see how it goes.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:46 AM   #214
spleen1015
Coordinator

I've been using Sling TV since April. It is definitely not perfect. I've found that some of the channels work better than others.

For example, the Food Network never has any issues for me, not once.

ESPN on the other hand, I seems to always have an issue like last night. Every time they would return to the MNF game from commercial, it would stop playing and I would have to reload the channel. Happened every commercial starting in the 4th quarter.

I just unsubscribed from HBO on Sling because HBO Now is a channel on Roku. I'm a big on demand watcher with HBO and found it to be a pain in the ass for on demand viewing. There's not a list of shows perse, you get a horizontal list of shows with thumbnails and it takes forever to fire up a show or movie. I just want a list damn it! There's not a search I could find either.

All in all, it's not too bad. If you're looking to cut the cord, I recommend it as long as you're willing to deal with some glitches here and there.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #215
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

SlingTV just got Chromecast capability as well.

I think SlingTV would definitely benefit if you could use it on AMC.com or Cartoon Network's website/app to watch episodes as you could if you had a more traditional cable subscription. Heck, it'd be a way to bypass the SlingTV app in its entirety if its acting up .
Old 01-15-2016, 05:38 AM   #216
RainMaker
General Manager

Comcast just dumped Spike and CMT off their basic cable plan (along with some other smaller channels I believe). It's not a huge deal but it's just another notch against keeping cable going forward. If I could find a way to get my local sports teams here I think I'm done with cable.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:09 PM   #217
MrBug708
Head Coach

So I want to cut the cord. With having a 7 month old, I just dont really watch that much TV. A lot of sports and HGTV in the background and not much else. My problem is that I would like DVR capability, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't seem very possible to have it, especially with slingtv? We dont really watch that many cable shows, mostly sitcoms and other shows on the regular channels.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:51 AM   #218
Umbrella
High School Varsity

For those of you with satellite, I have a couple of dumb questions. First, how often does weather interfere with reception? And second, can you order channels ala carte, or do you have to stick with specific packages?
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:54 AM   #219
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
For those of you with satellite, I have a couple of dumb questions. First, how often does weather interfere with reception? And second, can you order channels ala carte, or do you have to stick with specific packages?

I have DirectTV

(1) Rarely. Only in huge wrath-of-God style storms, really.

(2) Packages. Not any different than cable in that way.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:06 PM   #220
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
So I want to cut the cord. With having a 7 month old, I just dont really watch that much TV. A lot of sports and HGTV in the background and not much else. My problem is that I would like DVR capability, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't seem very possible to have it, especially with slingtv? We dont really watch that many cable shows, mostly sitcoms and other shows on the regular channels.

I believe Sling has a decent amount of On Demand content.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:09 AM   #221
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I found that Hulu basically does what I need a DVR to do and feel it's an essential piece of my ability to cut the cord. I tend to purchase Hulu through gift cards like these: Hulu Plus Subscription $50 Gift Credit Via Email | eBay
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:17 AM   #222
Easy Mac

Just be wary of purchasing gift hulu/netflix subscriptions on ebay. A very high percentage of them were purchased using stolen credit cards.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:49 AM   #223
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Looks like DirecTV will be introducing a SlingTV-style offering later this year.

AT&T and DirecTV to launch streaming TV service later this year | The Verge
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:11 AM   #224
sooner333
College Starter

PlayStation Vue is now nationwide and offers Fox Sports regional channels. It also has a cloud DVR. May actually cut the cord since I could save about $30/month. At the very least, I'll use a 7-day free trial.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:35 AM   #225
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I've switched Playstation Vue. I have the $30/mo package (it's $35 if you want the Fox Sports regional channels). I also like how it, unlike Sling TV, has deals with the channel providers so you can easily log into their apps or website. And the base $30 package includes SyFy, FX, and USA - so I have some stuff to catch up on .

Was watching it last night for CNN's primary coverage and it barely hiccupped - much better than Sling TV.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:02 PM   #226
hollmt
High School Varsity

SlingTV is brutal for the hiccups. I notice it much more when I am streaming it through my Xbox and especially on ESPN. If I watch it on my tablet, it is fine. Same internet, so I am not sure what the issue is.

I dropped cable and am missing FX and because of that am missing 'The Americans'.

So, the Playstation Vue allows you to get on the FX app and select the 'cable provider' of Vue so you can watch shows or is it included in the Vue in their library?
Old 03-16-2016, 01:15 PM   #227
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollmt View Post
So, the Playstation Vue allows you to get on the FX app and select the 'cable provider' of Vue so you can watch shows

Yep. Basically Sony struck deals with just about every channel they offer to allow them to be listed as a cable provider on their app, which is brilliant. I find the cable station apps to have far more back catalogue than anything else (though some, frustratingly, have a lack of Chromecast support or lack of a Roku channel - I'm looking at you SyFy).

There is one major downside of Playstation Vue... it's limited on where you can use it. Obviously you can have it on Playstation 3 and 4. You can also have it on Amazon Fire TV (or Stick). And then you can have it on iOS devices, and Chromecast through that. But that's it. No Roku support. No Android app yet.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:40 PM   #228
spleen1015
Coordinator

I had no idea Playstation Vue existed. I might have to switch from Sling. It has more channels at the same price.

I have a PS3 on one tv and a PS4 on the other as Blu Ray players, so this might be perfect.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 03-16-2016 at 01:40 PM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:55 PM   #229
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I had no idea Playstation Vue existed. I might have to switch from Sling. It has more channels at the same price.

I have a PS3 on one tv and a PS4 on the other as Blu Ray players, so this might be perfect.

Exactly. I am probably sold. The mid-tier package has the BIG Network, which sold me almost immediately. On top of that, having FX and USA and some other stuff Sling doesn't have for $15 more a month and still keeping AMC and adding DVR cloud recording. Cable would be $67 for me, up from $52 (right now I have Netflix, Prime, Tivo Guide and Sling), which is still better than the $118 I was paying with AT&T.

Thanks for bringing this up.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:19 PM   #230
spleen1015
Coordinator

Vue has local channels, too is that right?

DVR & local channels makes it a given I think.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:26 PM   #231
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Vue has local channels, too is that right?

DVR & local channels makes it a given I think.

I don't believe it does. PlayStation™Vue | PlayStation™Network, is package 2 for $35.

I have my HD ant and the Tivo Guide to record those shows (local channels and others my ant pics up). With Vue having a lot of the other channels I miss and the DVR cloud, we can ditch HULU as there really is no need for it, especially if I am able to access the app and say that Vue is my cable provider in order to access those shows.

Last edited by hollmt : 03-16-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:50 PM   #232
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I have been using Sling and Hulu for a while and the Vue looks like it would perfectly replace those two and save us a couple bucks a month in the process. Very nice.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:51 PM   #233
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

And I could even get my FSN back!? That'd be awesome...
Old 03-16-2016, 03:00 PM   #234
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It only has local channels for a handful of cities and the packages cost more there because of the locals.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:22 PM   #235
Logan
Head Coach

I had no idea until about 5 minutes ago that the Vue was available on non-Playstation products.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:25 PM   #236
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

I was one of the (maybe lucky) ones that had lots of success with Sling. Not much down time or trouble connecting, ran very smoothly. I was pretty OK with the service.

I signed up for the Vue trial and it blows Sling out of the water. It just has so much to offer for pretty much the same price.

The only issues I have had relate to the hardware supported. I've got Rokus in my house but Vue is not yet on there, so I've been using the Amazon Fire Stick. The issue people have with the Fire stick, myself included, is the menus are incredibly sluggish. Once the video plays everything is cool but getting there is a bit of a pain right now.

I hope they support Roku soon because even aside from the sluggish menus, I just don't like the Amazon interface at all compared to Roku. For now I'll use it to get Vue but I am really hoping Roku support comes soon.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:49 AM   #237
Barkeep49
Coordinator

With Vue, the DVR is in the cloud, is that correct? This does seem like an incredible service and if it were already available on Roku I'd likely have bought already. This might be the thing though that pushes me over into getting a PS4 (had debated it a few times and always decided against). How easy is it to navigate the Vue stuff on the PS4?
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:04 AM   #238
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
With Vue, the DVR is in the cloud, is that correct? This does seem like an incredible service and if it were already available on Roku I'd likely have bought already. This might be the thing though that pushes me over into getting a PS4 (had debated it a few times and always decided against). How easy is it to navigate the Vue stuff on the PS4?

Yes, it is in the cloud for 28 days.

I got started on the Vue last night through the Fire Stick and am sold. There were some pauses, but not as bad as Sling. The other only small con, is that navigation is slow, but that is from my understanding, caused from the Fire Stick, not Vue itself.

I got the trial so if I do change my mind, I am out nothing. I did cancel Sling as my next bill was on the 19th, so I am not losing anything at all. I was able to setup my favorite channels and some recordings in about 15 mins, even with the slow navigation. Tonight, I will check my recording of 'The Americans' and hope it is smooth.

If the navigation and speed is better through the PS4, I too might be tempted to switch over from Xbox to PS4.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:07 AM   #239
Kodos
Resident Alien

I hope this comes to Roku. I have a PS4 and PS3, but using those ups the degree of difficulty for the wife and kids.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:12 AM   #240
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I hope this comes to Roku. I have a PS4 and PS3, but using those ups the degree of difficulty for the wife and kids.

Was debating the move with the wife last night. I have the same issue with having to worry about her managing too many devices. It's completely ridiculous since she's not an idiot.

The selling point that made the difference for her is Vue allows you to watch on multiple devices at once. Sling only allows 1.

I think I am trying Vue tonight on PS3.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:27 AM   #241
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah. I'll hope that it makes it to Roku by the time my current DirecTV contract is done.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:30 AM   #242
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I got rid of sling, I found I was paying for something I wasn't watching, much like cable.

I pay 96 bucks for internet and phone (only because I need a landline for security).

I may renew sling when the basketball draft occurs, but probably not...

I'm really happy without cable tv, amazon prime and netflix have kept me busy, and I always splurge at b&n when the criterion sales occur.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:54 AM   #243
spleen1015
Coordinator

So, about a year ago we cut the cord. My only internet options are Comcast or AT&T. When we cut the cord we switched from AT&T to Comcast and went with their basic package to get internet. I could not get internet without getting basic cable.

I guess my 1 year promo just expired because my bill just went up $20.

This shit is such a ripoff.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:29 PM   #244
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
So, about a year ago we cut the cord. My only internet options are Comcast or AT&T. When we cut the cord we switched from AT&T to Comcast and went with their basic package to get internet. I could not get internet without getting basic cable.

I guess my 1 year promo just expired because my bill just went up $20.

This shit is such a ripoff.

And it isn't even just when promos end. It seems like their fees always go up -every three months or so you're paying two or three dollars more each month.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:52 PM   #245
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygr View Post
And it isn't even just when promos end. It seems like their fees always go up -every three months or so you're paying two or three dollars more each month.

I tried to get out of my Directv contract a week ago without a fee, unsuccessfully. Got them down to $89 for the everything package around October, but 2 months ago associated fees raised it all up to $100. I tried to tell them I have the recording where we agreed my bill would be $89 after fees and taxes for 12 months, but they didn't care. Wouldn't let me out, as they are allowed to raise fees outside of a general contract. Just a bunch of thieves all around.

Assuming Playstation Vue stays at its current price, I'll probably switch, even though I don't have a playstation in the house.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:18 PM   #246
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Not sure if things have changed since the ATT acquisition, but they out used to be you were moving into an apartment complex that didnt allow satellite dishes.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:28 PM   #247
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I tried to get out of my Directv contract a week ago without a fee, unsuccessfully. Got them down to $89 for the everything package around October, but 2 months ago associated fees raised it all up to $100. I tried to tell them I have the recording where we agreed my bill would be $89 after fees and taxes for 12 months, but they didn't care. Wouldn't let me out, as they are allowed to raise fees outside of a general contract. Just a bunch of thieves all around.

Assuming Playstation Vue stays at its current price, I'll probably switch, even though I don't have a playstation in the house.

You don't need a PS3 or PS4. Fire TV or Fire Stick works just as well. There is a little lag in menu navigation on the stick though that doesn't exist on the PS system from my understanding.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:35 PM   #248
Easy Mac

If Disney would offer their stuff online without needing a sign-in from a provider, I'd probably just dump it altogether and use a mashup of antennas and kodi plugins (XBMC). Until then I'll stick with it, lest my daughter murder me. She watches stuff on Netflix, but still likes the Disney shows that haven't quite made it over there yet (Lion Guard/Miles/Sofia).

I'm so far behind on shows I was somewhat interested in that I've pretty much given up on watching TV in my spare time. I love the Americans, but I'm over a season behind right now. Love Better Call Saul, but still haven't watched any of this season. I just don't have the time right now to watch anything that isn't watched by both the wife and I.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:16 PM   #249
cougarfreak
College Starter

Just an FYI, but over at the PS boards a LOT of people are saying the local FSN is not working with their package.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:43 PM   #250
cougarfreak
College Starter

Anyone trying Vue? I'm going to hold off and do a 7 day trial once the baseball season starts, I want to see if Reds games actually show up.