Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-19-2015, 07:30 PM   #51
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

just finished up a round of p90x.

I did not lose any weight, but that wasn't my goal. my goal was to get into a routine of working out consistently and sticking with it, and so far so good. while I didn't lose weight, I definitely have converted some of my flab to muscle.

taking a break from Tony now (it does get a bit repetitive) and giving the 21 day fix a whirl (I'd already subbed in her leg routines for the P90x leg routines a couple of times to change things up).

I'll echo the T25 thing. it was a heck of a workout, but too much high impact for this 260 lb frame and gimpy knees.

Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:25 PM   #52
BYU 14
Coordinator

I work out 6 days a week, pretty static.
Mon - Lift
Tue - Run 4 miles
Wed - Jiu Jitsu
Thur - Lift
Fri - Jiu Jitsu (sometimes lift as well depending on when I train)
Sat - Run 4 miles
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:51 PM   #53
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
16 oz curls 4-5 nights a week.

I'm on the 12oz curls plan.. maybe 7-9 3x a week.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:56 PM   #54
TexasT
Mascot

I do the gummi bear snatch
TexasT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #55
rowech
Pro Starter

Can somebody recommend a good machine to burn as many calories as possible without taking a toll on the knees? I've been looking at the bowflex max trainer but am not sure about it or just an elliptical machine of some sort.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 03:13 PM   #56
sabotai
General Manager

I've been using an elliptical at the gym. My knees hurt like hell when I run (well, they're fine as I'm running. The day after is when the pain comes), but so far so good with the elliptical. I usually do about 30 minutes (on the lowest resistance setting) and haven't had any issues. I also do a 10 minute walk to warm up on the treadmill and then 10 more minutes to cool down. Overall the machines say I burn, I think (...it's been awhile since I've gone), ~300-400 calories.

I think the pain for most people with knee problems come from when your feet hit the ground hard repeatedly for an extending amount of time. Any machine that keeps your feet planted will probably do the trick. Of course, if you're having that much pain, you should see you doctor and ask her advice for working out.

Last edited by sabotai : 10-24-2015 at 03:17 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:15 PM   #57
Radii
Head Coach

I don't know anything about the bowflex trainer, when I was having knee pain earlier in the year the elliptical kept me moving fairly well.

Quote:
Of course, if you're having that much pain, you should see you doctor and ask her advice for working out.

Second this, and if you haven't been down that road yet, physical therapy can be awesome. I learned so much about tightness and imbalances that I have in the various types of physical therapy I went through for about 6 months late last year/early this year. In addition to being critical towards addressing the specific problems I was having at the time, its proven invaluable towards figuring out the types of stretching/warmups/targeted strengthening that I need to focus on to prevent injuries as I try new things w/ exercise and fitness.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:58 PM   #58
rowech
Pro Starter

Running hurts too much now. In addition, lower back pain and never being able to get my calves stretched out.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:30 PM   #59
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Girlfriend and I recently started doing Cize, and it's actually pretty good. I've done P90x (1) and Insanity (and some of T25), but this one is a nice change of pace. Very challenging.
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:30 PM   #60
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

But also not terribly difficult or overwhelming.
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:40 AM   #61
Easy Mac

On T25 Gamma after done Alpha and Beta. I've also started to add in some running 3 days a week on my lunch break. Down 37 pounds overall since starting to lose weight in late April. My goal is weighing 165 my Christmas, so I have 7 pounds to go. It will be close.

I've noticed I've been quite hungry and achy lately. I just can never seem to eat enough food, but i'm still eating as much as I burn most days. I think my body has finally had enough and I may need to adjust my goals for a little while to ease up.

Also does anyone have a good pacing reminder app when running? I just restarted couch to 5k, but I'm running a bit faster than I need to during the running intervals. Based on my math it works out to about a 7 minute mile, which I think is adding to my achiness. I think I need to shoot for a 9-10 minute mile running pace at this stage, but I need an app that will let me know if I'm going outside of that range.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:34 AM   #62
digamma
Torchbearer

I think the closest you get to this through an app are mileage pace calculations through strava or maybe runkeeper (I use Strava). Maybe Alan or Subby would know if there is an app that keeps live pacing with alerts.

There are some watches that do this--the Garmin Forerunner series comes to mind, but that is obviously more of an investment.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:34 PM   #63
henry296
College Starter

I was using runkeeper and it would give me my pace every 5 minutes.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:04 PM   #64
Icy
Pro Starter

iSmoothRun does it, you set a pace goal and it will let you know if you are going too fast or too slow.

I use all the running apps, Runkeeper, Strava, Runtastic, etc and iSmoothRun is the best one for sure and can also export to all the other apps (I export from it to Strava and Runkeeper after each run with a simple click).

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #65
Kodos
Resident Alien

Online Marketing - hidden controls share

http://www.ironstrengthforrunners.co...keycode=253129

This is the one I've been doing to improve my running. Honestly, this workout has been kicking my ass.

Last edited by Kodos : 11-25-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:24 PM   #66
Easy Mac

I ordered a Reebok Precision Trainer XT Heart Rate Monitor on Woot on January 8, 2009 for $25. I used it for the first time this morning, 2,517 days later. Had to buy new batteries before I could use it, but it appeared to work pretty well. Was nice to have a fairly accurate account of how many calories I burned in my run, instead of just trying to guess. I liked how it automatically synced to the treadmill as well as the watch it came with to display things in real time. Interested to try it tonight while I do T25. Definitely more accurate than the Moto 360 I've been trying to use.

3.1 more pounds to get to my goal (165) by Christmas. Honestly, as much as it can suck to exercise in the moment, looking back at the past 7 months and 40 pounds, it hasn't been that bad. I look back and feel like an idiot to have wasted the last 15 years of my life letting myself get fat when its been this easy to drop weight.

The hard part will be the next year in trying to make sure I keep it off. I think if I can just accelerate my diet changes, I can stay at a fairly healthy weight and increase my overall diet changes without having to kill myself with exercise.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:40 AM   #67
Easy Mac

So it took me another 79 days to drop 3 pounds so I could hit my goal of 165, due to the holidays and some family health issues leading me to not exercise as vigorously as needed. Back at it doing Insanity for the last 1.5 months. I really, really hate Insanity, I just don't have the desire to go hardcore cardio for an hour every night, but I don't like to quit things early so I'm sticking it out.

Down to 163 so I can hopefully hit my revised goal of 155 in a few months. Lent's been helpful, since giving up most sweets and all sodas has kept my calorie count down. I haven't really noticed a craving for them, so hopefully its something I can move into more of a once a week to twice a week kind of thing.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:21 AM   #68
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I work out about 5-6 days a week:

Monday: Pull-ups, dips, and Run 3 miles
Tuesday: 100 push-ups
Wednesday: Pull-ups, dips, and Run 3 miles
Thursday: 100 push-ups
Friday: Pull-ups, dips, and Run 3 miles
Saturday or Sunday (sometimes): 100 push-ups

It works for me. I have a gym in my office building, so I do the Mon/Wed/Fri workouts during lunch and the push-ups at home before work.

I've lost about 15-20 pounds over the last couple of years and I'm a lot stronger.

I probably should/could change it up, but this is by far the most consistent workout regime I've had in 20 years and I'm probably in the best shape I've ever been in, so if it ain't broke...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote