Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-23-2015, 07:10 PM   #101
Kodos
Resident Alien

Classy move by Moss.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:56 PM   #102
BYU 14
Coordinator

Kudos to Chris Long and William Hayes and the difference it ended up making for two people, who took advantage of break and are working to help themselves.

And a general fuck you to some of the asshats in the comments under the story who just can't wait to find a way to turn anything positive into a negative!

Rams DEs Go Undercover as Homeless
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:12 AM   #103
miami_fan
Coordinator

LeBron James and U of Akron to give 4-year scholarships to qualifying students | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports

Just heard this on Mike and Mike.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:47 AM   #104
Butter
Coordinator

This sounds like a potential Scott's Tots situation. I'm intrigued.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:29 PM   #105
AlexB
Pro Starter

In an Australian Rugby exhibition game, a young lad got lost, and probably ended up having the best night of his life!

Four year rugby star

Last edited by AlexB : 08-18-2015 at 02:29 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:10 AM   #106
Dutch
"Dutch"

I like it.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:30 AM   #107
Kodos
Resident Alien

Peyton Manning flies fan dying of cancer to game after getting her letter - CBSSports.com
Old 09-17-2015, 07:38 AM   #108
Dutch
"Dutch"

I like it.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:04 AM   #109
dacman
College Benchwarmer

How Drew Brees helped me and a friend get through war and heartache - The Washington Post
Old 09-17-2015, 08:04 AM   #110
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Subban donating $10M to Montreal Hospital - Article - TSN
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:47 PM   #111
Dutch
"Dutch"

No thread for amateur athletes...but this deserves a shout-out.

Mississippi softball team to forfeit state tournament to attend classmate’s funeral | USA Today High School Sports | USA Today High School Sports
Old 10-10-2015, 04:26 AM   #112
Groundhog
Coordinator

Josh Childress has been playing basketball for my hometown team the last 2 seasons and has done a lot of great things, especially with the Sudanese refugee community here, but I really enjoyed this story about him flying out his brother's high school basketball team over to Australia to show them there's a life outside of the rough neighborhood they are from in LA. He brought them to the game tonight:

No Cookies | Herald Sun
Old 10-10-2015, 08:24 AM   #113
timmae
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Josh Childress has been playing basketball for my hometown team the last 2 seasons and has done a lot of great things, especially with the Sudanese refugee community here, but I really enjoyed this story about him flying out his brother's high school basketball team over to Australia to show them there's a life outside of the rough neighborhood they are from in LA. He brought them to the game tonight:

No Cookies | Herald Sun

Awesome story, thanks for posting!
Old 01-23-2016, 06:08 PM   #114
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Big Shaq is at it again.

Shaq visits Gainesville to play ball with kids
Old 05-16-2016, 03:25 PM   #115
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Pulled hard for this kid to recover,I'll just keep on pulling for him in his new venue

Former South Carolina Gamecocks RB Marcus Lattimore finds new life, happiness after knee injuries
Old 06-03-2016, 11:43 PM   #116
bhlloy
Coordinator

Kudos to Charles Johnson, and just a cool and heartwarming story all around: A 10-year-old gets the birthday of a lifetime after no one says they're coming.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:40 AM   #117
muns
Pro Starter

If this is true, that's a hell of a thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lebron.jpg (130.9 KB, 558 views)
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:10 AM   #118
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
If this is true, that's a hell of a thing.

He did that a long time ago.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:32 PM   #119
Suicane75
Coordinator

Yeah Muns, you dummy.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:31 PM   #120
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

LeBron James is bizarro Michael Scott?

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:30 AM   #121
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Yeah Muns, you dummy.

lol, I know, my bad, tried to share something good....
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:58 AM   #122
Dutch
"Dutch"

If it makes you feel better, I didn't know that.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:15 PM   #123
miami_fan
Coordinator

Not a professional, but this young man deserves some shine.

University of Florida linebacker Cristian Garcia helps stop sexual assault behind Gainesville bar
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 08-31-2016, 02:34 PM   #124
Atocep
Coordinator

Florida State Seminoles WR Travis Rudolph makes 'fans for life' by eating lunch with autistic child
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:56 PM   #125
booradley
High School Varsity

Good job Travis. I wish the school could find a way for the kid to never have to eat alone.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:52 AM   #126
Ben E Lou

Prayers for Lauren Holiday. Kudos to Jrue Holiday and to the Pelicans organization.

So many money quotes in the article that it feels wrong to single out just one or two. Read it. You won't regret it.

Jrue Holiday to miss start of season as pregnant wife Lauren Holiday faces brain surgery | NOLA.com
Old 09-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #127
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

For several years my wife and I headed up the local relay for life chapter. Every year we were tasked with various ways to bring people out. One that we found that consistently worked was getting a couple players from the University of South Carolina and from Clemson to come out. Sign autographs. Meet kids. One year we staged a tug-o-war between the two schools. Etc.

Both schools were accommodating every time I asked. Either sending players or coaches or the Mascot etc. We frequently got scrubs or freshmen who hadn't played yet. And they frequently acted like they were too good to be there despite us doing everything we could within NCAA guidelines to make it worthwhile for them.

One year in particular stands out. The players were supposed to be there by 10AM and usually made it by noon. At 8:30 that morning I got a call from a 770 area code. A young very sheepish man told me he and his teammate were there and wanted to know where they could help.

It was chaos. We were running around setting everything up and were behind like usual directing volunteers to set up chairs, or hang banners etc. And now I had to deal with 2 prima donna athletes who were early and probably wondering where the A/C was. GRRR.

Hang tight a few minutes please and I'll come up and meet y'all. Sorry I wasn't expecting you quite yet.

The soft spoken voice said "My mom used to help with Relay for Life back home and I know its a lot of set up. Me and Tra left early this morning so we could help. Just let me know where and how."

Ok this was refreshing. I went up and met the 2 Clemson freshmen. One was a short pudgy OL Tra Thomas and he and I connected pretty easily. You dont find many 6'0" OL and we both fit the bill. We got them directed setting up some 100 chairs for locals to watch the high school chorus team perform and they not only did it. They laughed and smiled and made a game out of who could set a row up the quickest. My kids 6 and 9 at the time were rambling around and the players both showed them attention with the other player, whom I had originally spoken to on the phone, taking right up with my 6 year old daughter. Riding her piggy back while he stacked chairs. Playing football with my son and letting him tackle him to the ground. He and my kids belted out a badly out of tune rendition of "Big Green Tractor" a country/pop hit of the day. Quite the site seeing a 6'3" black dude with corn rows seeing a country song and knowing every word! I remember being disappointed that this huge TE who even as a freshman looked chiseled and ripped had the hand shake of 86 year old grandma. But his personality was electric and everyone there loved him.

Set up complete the day went off without a hitch and the these two young dudes were great representatives of their school and their team. They posed for pictures in their jerseys. They held up housewives in their arms for photos. And they did it all with a smile. 5pm came and it was time for the players to be relieved of their appearance. Tra walked up the hill from our High School ball field to the car. The Young TE approached me and asked if it would be ok if they stayed for another hour. We had hired a Gospel Band out of Atlanta to play that night and this young man from Addairsville, GA remembered when they played at his church. He said they had an amazing lead vocalist and he wanted to hear them again. He'd be glad to pay admission if needed(the $10 gate fee to get into the event got you access to the entire activity concert included) but he had donated the full $50 they were given for a meal stipend to the Relay fund raiser raffle and given all the tickets to some of the little kids there.

Of course he was welcome to stay and he didn't need to pay admission. He thanked me and seemed genuinely grateful for such trivial token gesture. He stayed throughout the concert, helped the band carry their PA equipment to their van. then hung out and helped us clean everything up until after 1am. Refusing to leave despite the 2 hour drive home and the late hour. He said "Tra been up there sleeping he can drive us back"

That night I remember well telling my wife. That dude will never make it playing football. He is too soft and that limp fish handshake is embarrassing for a dude his size. But whatever he sets his mind to, he will be a success. That personality is infectious.

Well I had buried that story way back in my mind until i read this article earlier and that limp fish handshake and that love of country music suddenly brought me back and made me smile.

By the way that Fr TE changed positions that summer and moved to DE. While the limp fish handshake, apparently, remains I'd say the football thing worked out better than I ever expected. Good job, Vic.

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/so-...aign=editorial
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:03 PM   #128
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
lol, I know, my bad, tried to share something good....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
LeBron James is bizarro Michael Scott?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
If it makes you feel better, I didn't know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Yeah Muns, you dummy.

I mean, it was literally posted on the same page 10 posts prior (even with the same Michael Scott reference), but it was interesting insight that so many people were able to overlook it until James had won a championship in Cleveland.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:41 AM   #129
digamma
Torchbearer

Non-traditional entry here, but this "letter" from Charles Tillman to Calvin Johnson is pretty classy, and speaks well of both.

Charles Tillman writes to Calvin Johnson
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:41 PM   #130
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Non-traditional entry here, but this "letter" from Charles Tillman to Calvin Johnson is pretty classy, and speaks well of both.

Charles Tillman writes to Calvin Johnson

Good stuff
Old 11-03-2016, 02:27 AM   #131
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Also not a professional story, but I don't see a thread for the amateur athletes & good things.

You don't see a lot of 150 pound linebackers anywhere these days, but this young man from my son's alma mater is a whole lot bigger than just his size & a whole lot more than just a high school linebacker.

Athens Academy player stands out in devotion for disabled sister and others with special needs | Online Athens
Old 11-03-2016, 04:47 AM   #132
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
For several years my wife and I headed up the local relay for life chapter. Every year we were tasked with various ways to bring people out. One that we found that consistently worked was getting a couple players from the University of South Carolina and from Clemson to come out. Sign autographs. Meet kids. One year we staged a tug-o-war between the two schools. Etc.

Both schools were accommodating every time I asked. Either sending players or coaches or the Mascot etc. We frequently got scrubs or freshmen who hadn't played yet. And they frequently acted like they were too good to be there despite us doing everything we could within NCAA guidelines to make it worthwhile for them.

One year in particular stands out. The players were supposed to be there by 10AM and usually made it by noon. At 8:30 that morning I got a call from a 770 area code. A young very sheepish man told me he and his teammate were there and wanted to know where they could help.

It was chaos. We were running around setting everything up and were behind like usual directing volunteers to set up chairs, or hang banners etc. And now I had to deal with 2 prima donna athletes who were early and probably wondering where the A/C was. GRRR.

Hang tight a few minutes please and I'll come up and meet y'all. Sorry I wasn't expecting you quite yet.

The soft spoken voice said "My mom used to help with Relay for Life back home and I know its a lot of set up. Me and Tra left early this morning so we could help. Just let me know where and how."

Ok this was refreshing. I went up and met the 2 Clemson freshmen. One was a short pudgy OL Tra Thomas and he and I connected pretty easily. You dont find many 6'0" OL and we both fit the bill. We got them directed setting up some 100 chairs for locals to watch the high school chorus team perform and they not only did it. They laughed and smiled and made a game out of who could set a row up the quickest. My kids 6 and 9 at the time were rambling around and the players both showed them attention with the other player, whom I had originally spoken to on the phone, taking right up with my 6 year old daughter. Riding her piggy back while he stacked chairs. Playing football with my son and letting him tackle him to the ground. He and my kids belted out a badly out of tune rendition of "Big Green Tractor" a country/pop hit of the day. Quite the site seeing a 6'3" black dude with corn rows seeing a country song and knowing every word! I remember being disappointed that this huge TE who even as a freshman looked chiseled and ripped had the hand shake of 86 year old grandma. But his personality was electric and everyone there loved him.

Set up complete the day went off without a hitch and the these two young dudes were great representatives of their school and their team. They posed for pictures in their jerseys. They held up housewives in their arms for photos. And they did it all with a smile. 5pm came and it was time for the players to be relieved of their appearance. Tra walked up the hill from our High School ball field to the car. The Young TE approached me and asked if it would be ok if they stayed for another hour. We had hired a Gospel Band out of Atlanta to play that night and this young man from Addairsville, GA remembered when they played at his church. He said they had an amazing lead vocalist and he wanted to hear them again. He'd be glad to pay admission if needed(the $10 gate fee to get into the event got you access to the entire activity concert included) but he had donated the full $50 they were given for a meal stipend to the Relay fund raiser raffle and given all the tickets to some of the little kids there.

Of course he was welcome to stay and he didn't need to pay admission. He thanked me and seemed genuinely grateful for such trivial token gesture. He stayed throughout the concert, helped the band carry their PA equipment to their van. then hung out and helped us clean everything up until after 1am. Refusing to leave despite the 2 hour drive home and the late hour. He said "Tra been up there sleeping he can drive us back"

That night I remember well telling my wife. That dude will never make it playing football. He is too soft and that limp fish handshake is embarrassing for a dude his size. But whatever he sets his mind to, he will be a success. That personality is infectious.

Well I had buried that story way back in my mind until i read this article earlier and that limp fish handshake and that love of country music suddenly brought me back and made me smile.

By the way that Fr TE changed positions that summer and moved to DE. While the limp fish handshake, apparently, remains I'd say the football thing worked out better than I ever expected. Good job, Vic.

Way long time coming (I have never read this thread before), but this is a great story. Thanks for sharing, CU.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:10 AM   #133
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

Don't know how I missed this the first time, but wow, what a great story! Thanks for sharing!!
Old 11-30-2016, 11:20 AM   #134
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Not a pro (yet)...but wasnt sure where better to post this.

I hope everyone will read it about a special young man.

The moment that changed Clemson Tigers defensive end Christian Wilkins' life
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:19 PM   #135
CarterNMA
Mascot

Von Miller gives the entire AFC West a bottle of wine

Von Miller gives the entire AFC West a bottle of wine | ProFootballTalk
CarterNMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:41 PM   #136
PilotMan
Head Coach

Not Professional Athletes per se, but....an owner???

Very cool and the ultimate give back to the city.

Jazz Owner Creates Legacy Trust In Effort To Secure Team's Future In Utah

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:27 AM   #137
Critch
lolzcat

Bradley Lowery falls asleep cuddling Jermain Defoe after terminally ill Sunderland fan gets visit from heroes

English soccer player this time. The first picture is a bit of a tearjerker.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:47 PM   #138
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Bradley Lowery falls asleep cuddling Jermain Defoe after terminally ill Sunderland fan gets visit from heroes

English soccer player this time. The first picture is a bit of a tearjerker.

Tearjerker indeed..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:40 AM   #139
miami_fan
Coordinator

NBA Stars and Celebs Raise $500K for Sager Strong Foundation at All-Star Game | Bleacher Report
Old 02-21-2017, 12:12 PM   #140
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Great story about Vladimir Tarasenko of the Blues.

Tarasenko surprises 11-year-old on her birthday | NHL.com
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:37 PM   #141
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Hockey Players Aren't Tough
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:14 PM   #142
AlexB
Pro Starter

Sunderland footballer Duncan Watmore in boat rescue - BBC News
Old 04-13-2017, 11:48 PM   #143
DanGarion
Coordinator

Well that was pretty.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:15 AM   #144
Ben E Lou

Bad post removed
Old 04-14-2017, 07:49 AM   #145
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anyways I was trying to link to a story about Telvn Smith of the Jags blasting fellow NFL players for running day camps at a charge when all the resources are out there to do it for free for the kids.

He had a pretty refreshing take on the matter .

Jags LB Telvin Smith: Players who charge for youth camps are forgetting roots

"I keep saying robbing these kids because I feel that's what we're doing," Smith told ESPN. "We're in the NFL. We're in a multibillion corporation. You can write that off on your taxes, but you're charging these kids? There's no part of it that's right.

"Your heart's not in the right direction when you're doing that."

Smith wanted to be clear that he wasn't calling out any player in particular and that he wanted to make sure people understood he isn't talking about the multiday or overnight intense instructional camps. Camps such as those, which require the campers to be housed and fed, can cost close to nearly $1,000 per camper. Specialty companies run many of those types of camps, which bear the names of the sponsoring players.

Smith said he's talking about the camps that usually last three to four hours, where it's more about the experience of meeting an NFL player than learning football skills. Those camps should be free, Smith said, and there are ways to defray the cost. NFL players can apply for $1,000-$4,000 grants from the National Football League Foundation to help fund their camps. In addition, players are able to secure sponsors to help cover costs, such as local restaurants to provide lunches and drinks.

Smith said he did that last year for his first camp in his hometown of Valdosta, Georgia, in which he said he had more than 500 kids show up. He's finalizing details for this year's camp to be held in mid-June.

"Guys can reach out to the community and they'll donate food, they'll donate money, they'll donate water," Smith said. "We had so many things donated we had so much left over.

"... That's how I know it can be done. I had to buy extra shirts. But I'm willing to do that because we're buying these designer clothes and cars and jewelry and then you can't give $600 or $2,000 extra out of your pocket to make sure a couple extra kids come to your camp? I'm going to make sure I've got that."

Last edited by stevew : 04-14-2017 at 07:51 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:14 PM   #146
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I don't quite know where else to put this so I'll go with thread where I mentioned it originally.

We've just learned in the past couple of hours that the young man from this article I shared last year is fighting for his life tonight, and the prognosis is very bad. Details are still sketchy but apparently some sort of accident while longboarding earlier today.

For those who are so inclined, prayers for him and his family would be most appreciated.

Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - The Thread We Talk About Professional Athletes That Do Good Things.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:42 PM   #147
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The family's official statement issued a couple of hours ago

Quote:
Dear Friends,
Our beloved Drew passed away today, June 5, 2017, surrounded by family and friends. Although we all prayed for a miracle, we remembered that having Drew in our lives was the miracle. We will always be grateful for your thoughts, prayers, and support and are especially blessed to know Drew will be an organ donor and provide a miracle for others.
Arrangements have not been finalized but services will be in Athens. In lieu of flowers please consider a memorial contribution to Drew's wonderful home of 16 years: Athens Academy. Thank you.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:10 PM   #148
AlexB
Pro Starter

Althoug this particluar story isn't exactly in line with the thread, it explains why Harry Arter of AFC Bournemouth does a lot of charity work.

A very moving and eventually uplifting story
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/ha...-my-daughters/
Old 09-03-2017, 07:02 AM   #149
hoopsguy
General Manager

Two stories from the past week that have received a good amount of coverage, but fit the bill for this thread:

Anthony Rizzo, who overcame Hodgkins-Lymphoma, just donated $3.5 million to a children's hospital - SBNation.com - Rizzo has been involved with this organization for at least a couple of years, and there are many accounts of him being great with the kids, staff, etc. This donation is the culmination of a long-term relationship.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyph.../#7b8c1c975cbb - little outdated, as I believe Watt's fund is now past 17M. But also some good info here about how the funds are being allocated without incurring substantial overhead.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:05 PM   #150
miami_fan
Coordinator

Great job by the Dolphin players!

Dolphins players displaced by Irma rescue high school football team Irma stranded out west | Miami Herald