Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2020, 06:26 PM   #1
Flasch186
Coordinator

Rocksmith - Guitar for PC?

Does anyone have a bundle they want to sell to me? Thinking of trying to use it to learn some basics while on lockdown.
TIA

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 04:34 AM   #2
Icy
Pro Starter

I don't have it available to sell as I use it myself a lot, but just wanted to tell you that is an awesome "game" that can both teach you play guitar and have a ton of fun!

There is also a way to get thousands of user made songs other than the ones for sale in the game store, send me a pm if you buy it and I'll point you to it.

Btw, the game is cheap if you look for it but the main value is not in the game but in the cable (guitar to USB). You can't play without it, so there is no point on buying the game in steam if you don't buy the cable as well. I bought mine years ago in amazon and I see there are still bundles of the official cable and the PC game for around $45 or the cable alone for $30. Don't buy non oficial cables, while they work to plug your guitar into the PC, they won't work with the game.

Last edited by Icy : 04-12-2020 at 04:38 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:41 AM   #3
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
I don't have it available to sell as I use it myself a lot, but just wanted to tell you that is an awesome "game" that can both teach you play guitar and have a ton of fun!

There is also a way to get thousands of user made songs other than the ones for sale in the game store, send me a pm if you buy it and I'll point you to it.

Btw, the game is cheap if you look for it but the main value is not in the game but in the cable (guitar to USB). You can't play without it, so there is no point on buying the game in steam if you don't buy the cable as well. I bought mine years ago in amazon and I see there are still bundles of the official cable and the PC game for around $45 or the cable alone for $30. Don't buy non oficial cables, while they work to plug your guitar into the PC, they won't work with the game.

I also am looking at this too. Do you know if it works for electric acoustic or just electric. I am mostly interested in learning acoustic and suppose learning electric would carry over to an acoustic anyways.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:47 AM   #4
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

You can theoretically play it without the cable if you have a mic. I bought the game at the start of the quarantine for the same reason, to learn to play from scratch. I only have an acoustic but I have a decent microphone, and it seems to work well.

I say 'seems' because I run into issues with it not recognizing notes, and I can't tell if it's because of the acoustic-to-mic setup, or because my guitar has a warped neck and so doesn't actually play certain notes correctly. It makes it frustrating in some of the lessons where you have to play a pattern or chord and no matter how slow they make it or how many times you repeat it the game won't let you move past.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 01:03 PM   #5
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:

Any recommendations on a starter guitar for it

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 04-12-2020, 08:25 PM   #6
Flasch186
Coordinator

Rocksmith - Guitar for PC?

I ended up getting this slick deal

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/t/13975772

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 04-12-2020 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:02 PM   #7
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I also am looking at this too. Do you know if it works for electric acoustic or just electric. I am mostly interested in learning acoustic and suppose learning electric would carry over to an acoustic anyways.

It can work for an acoustic electric but its not as reliable. It had a lot more trouble identifying the correct notes in the game, I eventually gave up on that and bought a cheapo electric guitar.

I have heard some teachers suggest that if you're first starting out, learning on an electric guitar is easier, and its definitely cheaper. Very cheap acoustic guitars are basically awful, and part of that awfulness is that they are significantly harder to play - the amount of force required from your left hand/fingers to get a clean sound can be ridiculous. My starter acoustic guitar was $300 back in 2005 or so which was good enough at the time and to start out. For an electric, especially one you're going to plug into rocksmith, you can go much much cheaper and it just won't matter at all.

Last edited by Radii : 04-13-2020 at 12:27 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:24 PM   #8
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Any recommendations on a starter guitar for it

I bought a cheap Epiphone that was fine when I wanted a beginner electric.

Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Special-I Electric Guitar Worn Cherry | Guitar Center

NOTE this recommendation is assuming that you're not sure if this is a hobby you're really going to get into, so you want to stay cheap, and that rocksmith is the primary use initially. Once you expand past those parameters, the type of music you want to play and the type of sound you want to get out of the guitar will send you down different paths, but just to try out rocksmith, I personally believe this is 100% fine. And don't worry, if you get into this in a big way you'll find ways to spend way more on all kinds of guitars down the road

Once you start talking electric guitars past that level, I'm useless, I play acoustic 99.9% of the time.

EDIT: I see the slickdeals deal you got, that looks great for starting out too!

Last edited by Radii : 04-13-2020 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:48 PM   #9
bob
College Starter

No idea if its any good, but Fender is giving away 3 free months of their Fender Play online teaching portal. No credit card required. Might be another option for you.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 01:20 PM   #10
Kodos
Resident Alien

Man, I would love to play guitar, but I have zero musical ability. And even Guitar Hero made my wrists hurt in a short period of time.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:55 PM   #11
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
It can work for an acoustic electric but its not as reliable. It had a lot more trouble identifying the correct notes in the game, I eventually gave up on that and bought a cheapo electric guitar.

I have heard some teachers suggest that if you're first starting out, learning on an electric guitar is easier, and its definitely cheaper. Very cheap acoustic guitars are basically awful, and part of that awfulness is that they are significantly harder to play - the amount of force required from your left hand/fingers to get a clean sound can be ridiculous. My starter acoustic guitar was $300 back in 2005 or so which was good enough at the time and to start out. For an electric, especially one you're going to plug into rocksmith, you can go much much cheaper and it just won't matter at all.

Thanks man.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 04:09 PM   #12
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:

Things are trickling in

Where would I go to get the songs?

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 04-16-2020, 11:42 AM   #13
Icy
Pro Starter

It works with acoustic but my test is with electro-acoustic, than can be plugged in with the cable, not with mic. My plugged acoustic works as well as my electrics guitars, can't really see differences. But agree that acoustic is harder to learn that electric and even worse with a cheap acoustic that will probably will have really high action (separation between strings and the freetboard) and that will hurt your fingers until you get the calluses in them. Also most of song are for electric, and for me at least it's weird to play a rock song with distortion with an acoustic guitar.

If you guys are in Europe, that I bet mostly are not, this German online shop is the best for buying instruments online and they ship anywhere in Europe, awesome service and cheaper than the official stores. I have bought a lot from them over the years. Welcome – Thomann United States

UPDATE: seems they have USA store as well, but don't know if they are as competitive in USA as they are in Europe where they are the market leaders.

You can buy a cheap but good enough electric for under $200 and even around $100. Epiphone (Gibson's cheap brand) is good enough, or the non American Fenders are good for general purpose, if you are more into heavy, Ibanez or LTD (ESP's cheap brand) are good choices as well. I started with these 25 years ago until G.A.S. kicked in (Gear Acquisition Syndrome, a tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.) and now I own 3 very expensive electrics, 2 acoustic and one classic plus a couple of boutique amps and pedalboards. But for sure start from the basis because most of the people leave it early as many other hobbies.

Regarding the "free" user made songs, it's using a hack/bug in the game with an specific song from the Smashing Pumpkins DLC, that created a loophole you can use. Here is more info, tutorials and the songs database: CustomsForge - Rocksmith Custom DLC (CDLC) Forums

Last edited by Icy : 04-16-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:01 PM   #14
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Also most of song are for electric, and for me at least it's weird to play a rock song with distortion with an acoustic guitar.

Yep, this ended up sending me in a totally different direction, back to a lot of self teaching and youtube videos for some of my favorites. I enjoyed rocksmith but my style is.. idk, indie folk? not something you're really going to get a lot of help with in rocksmith

Quote:
Gear Acquisition Syndrome, a tendency to purchase more equipment than justified by usage and/or price.) and now I own 3 very expensive electrics, 2 acoustic and one classic plus a couple of boutique amps and pedalboards.

Since I stay almost entirely in the acoustic realm I buy less things but I assume more expensive ones when I do lol. I have spent $1500 or so on a "home studio" setup for live streaming, trying different mic setups, interface, a nice loop station, etcetc. Every time I go to Sweetwater, though, I spend more time than is healthy thinking about a limited edition Taylor that I should really not ever buy but certainly will some day.

Last edited by Radii : 04-16-2020 at 04:05 PM.