Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-19-2019, 08:30 AM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Cell Phone buying tips

My wife lost her cell phone, so we are going to go replace our phones (4 yr old iPhone 6). We know we want to stay with iPhone. We are with Verizon, but have no real desire to stay with them or leave them. Where we live, T-Mobile seems to have just fine coverage as well. Our contract with Verizon is up, so we can leave at any point.

It also looks like if we switch to T-Mobile, we can get one of the two new phones for free with their deal.

So I am wondering about the best way to get the best deal. Should we go to the apple store and ask them which carrier can get us the best deal and buy there? Or can we go to the Verizon store and say we know we can get a free phone from T-Mobile, so just give us one of the new phones free, and we will re-up with y'all? (this would be the easiest solution if it is doable). Or should we just go to the T-mobile store and do it there?

I wilt in the face of salespeople, so I'd love to just know where to do and what to say to get the best deal possible.

Thanks.

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:01 AM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I wouldn't go to the apple store, they will be less than helpful.

I would go to Verizon first, see if they will give you the same deal, if they won't go to T-Mobile. You can always go back to Verizon.

the thing to remember is there is always a deal to be had. I was able to get a new phone with ATT where I paid for the phone interest free, but got a discount on my bill.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:16 AM   #3
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I will give a minor plug here for Google Fi, if you are not big data users.

If you don't use a lot of data, it is *so* cheap, and I've had zero issues with coverage.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:45 AM   #4
sooner333
College Starter

Also, just be aware that since last time you got a phone, the carriers have moved away from the contract model and to a lease model. You aren’t tied to a carrier via a contract, but you are leasing the phones for a term with the option to buy at the end of the term.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:34 PM   #5
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Verizon wont be able to match any deals other companies are having as far as free phones(or monthly credits making them cost 0). They have their own free phone deals for NEW customers or people adding lines of service such as Buy One get One. Verizon you own the phone after you pay it off, no lease program.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:51 PM   #6
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Verizon wont be able to match any deals other companies are having as far as free phones(or monthly credits making them cost 0). They have their own free phone deals for NEW customers or people adding lines of service such as Buy One get One. Verizon you own the phone after you pay it off, no lease program.

To add to this, the major carriers will not match offers unless it's already a promo and generally do not give a shit if you stay or leave. Trying to play one against the other as far as prices and threats to go to another carrier tend to fall on deaf ears. They don't care about you.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:35 PM   #7
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Yup. I remember the world where they’d give you their firstborn to lock you in for 2 more years. No longer.

But, apparently, my wife’s phone was insured for theft (turns out we’d been paying for that) so we’re going to just replace it w the same model. We’ll see how it goes.

Much thanks for all of the advice here.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:30 AM   #8
Edward64
Head Coach

Family's iPhones are 7 series, mine is an 8 Plus. Thinking it may be time for an upgrade for all of us with the next release.

I think we are on the 3-4 year cycle nowadays and I am on the bigger is better kick since my eyes are getting bad. The < $500 price point is where I want to be so hopefully Google's 3a & 3a Plus will continue the downward pressure for Apple and Samsung.

I'm leaning towards making the move to Android (more options obviously) but rest of family is tied to their iTunes. Anyone here have a 3a or 3a Plus and their thoughts?

iPhone 12 could go bigger -- and smaller -- than before in 2020 - CNET
Quote:
The 2020 version of the iPhone XS -- iPhone 12? -- would shrink from 5.8 to 5.4 inches, while the 2020 XS Max would grow from 6.5 to 6.7 inches. Apple would presumably maintain the 6.1-inch screen size version as the middle ground option, presumably the iPhone XR successor. These numbers coincide with those cited in a similar report published in Taipei-based newspaper Digitimes a few months back.
:
:
More importantly, 2020 is the year Apple is expected to make the jump to 5G, thanks to its recent settlement with Qualcomm following a lengthy legal dispute. According to Kuo's report though, 5G connectivity would be exclusive to the higher-end iPhone models. The 2020 version of the cheaper XR would have to wait to get Qualcomm's 5G chip.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:54 AM   #9
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Trying to wrap my head around companies like Consumer Cellular and Cricket. We currently have Verizon and just got out of a contract. So long story short Verizon doesn't work at my school anymore and it's a no brainer to switch to AT&T which seems to be the only company where my coworkers phones work.

But why the difference in price between AT&T and the two companies I mentioned who use the same towers? (One of which is owned by AT&T) My research online is telling me that if I use a lot of data I am not going to like the speeds of the offshoot companies but what if my wife and I are primarily wifi internet users and only occasionally use data? Just wanted to make sure I am not missing anything on saving upwards of $50+ a month. The phone will work the same for phone calls and wifi right?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:13 AM   #10
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I have 4 lines on Cricket for $100/month. I Uber full time so I use my phone a lot. Only time I’ve felt like my connection was less than ideal are when I’ve been at super busy concert venues. But everyone else’s shit is bad there also. Minor inconvenience to front the price of a $800 phone on occasion but the monthly savings is worth it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote