Head Coach

wow
Old 10-31-2020, 08:33 AM   #4
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
He was by far the best Bond.

I'd give it to Daniel Craig. Connery has the edge on "women style" but Craig has everything else.

The one thing I really don't like about the pre-Craig Bond movies are the fight scenes. They are comical on the choreography like the Batman "ka-pow" scenes.

Craig does many of the stunts himself and assume he does many/all of the fight scenes himself. Not quite to the level of Bourne/Wick stuff but still pretty good.

Connery's luster with me went downhill quite a bit with his misogyny but honestly, he came from a way different generation and so willing to excuse him for the words but not his actions (not sure if he actually did hit/slap women).
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:57 AM   #5
miked
College Starter

There can only be one!
Old 10-31-2020, 09:34 AM   #6
spleen1015
Coordinator

One of my faves.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:44 AM   #7
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

The Kurgan finally got him. Sadness.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:57 AM   #8
kingfc22
Head Coach

One might say he lived a pretty full life. RIP
Old 10-31-2020, 09:58 AM   #9
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Trebek got the final victory
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:08 AM   #10
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I'd give it to Daniel Craig. Connery has the edge on "women style" but Craig has everything else.

I disagree on Craig. He's a thug in a suit. Craig's Bond is more a generic action star than James Bond (even with a good script like Skyfall). There is no sophistication or class to him.*

That said, this is about Sean Connery and that we're weighing all others against him speaks volumes.

SI

*And, yes, I know there is no perfect Bond as Connery's Bond is /really/ dated and problematic now.

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:14 AM   #11
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:41 AM   #12
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:07 PM   #13
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
One might say he lived a pretty full life. RIP

This is the ideal response to this. Totally sucks, but yeah.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:52 PM   #14
BYU 14
Coordinator

Indeed, a life well lived, RIP sir
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 07:37 PM   #15
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

My impression has always been that Connery was a giant-sized asshole who abused everyone around him so I can't say I'll miss him, but goddamn he's got a CV that stacks up against anyone. His role in Red October with a scottish accent trying to speak english with a russian accent will always be my favorite.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:08 PM   #16
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
My impression has always been that Connery was a giant-sized asshole who abused everyone around him so I can't say I'll miss him, but goddamn he's got a CV that stacks up against anyone. His role in Red October with a scottish accent trying to speak english with a russian accent will always be my favorite.

In Red October, I will always remember him smacking/chewing loud his meal in the officers mess.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:50 AM   #17
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Here's a neat story from a couple of screenwriters - apologies for the format

Quote:
This is a Sean Connery story. 2004. Before @DavidLevien and I wrote Ocean's Thirteen. Long before Billions. We had a VERY modest office--a tiny studio apartment off second avenue in Manhattan.
We were hired to re-write a movie for a director and movie studio. And the day we were set to turn in the rewrite we got a panicked phone call. "Wait, you have to start over. The main character is now Sean Connery."
"Okay, " we say, "what are the instructions?" "Sean will tell you himself." "Great!" we say, "Is there a conference call with the director and studio and Sir Sean and us?"
"No." Sir Sean is in New York. He will come to your office and give you his notes."
"Great! Is the director coming?" "Nope. Just you and the great man."
We play it cool on the phone. Hang up and lose our fucking minds.
We have to tidy up, of course. But this is really not a place that tidying fixes.
We do what we can and then get the call. He's coming at 9AM the next morning. So we do what you'd have done--we get a sliced fruit platter and put it out with some paper plates.
9AM on the damn button, a knock at the door. And there he is, wearing a hat similar to the one from The Untouchables. "I'm Sean. Throw a Sir on that and watch me walk out the door."
"Yes, sir, I mean Mr. Connery, I mean...would you like some fruit? A slice of pineapple maybe?"
A smile comes to his face. He sees what this means to us. "I'd love some fruit. That's kind of you." He sits down and we go to work. He has incredibly smart notes on every page. These are not notes from our draft. They are from the prior draft. He's telling us the movie he wants.
"Should we get the studio or director on the speaker phone?' "No. Youse'll tell em what we're gonna do."
We spend the day working. He then says one of our favorite line ever.
"that's about half the thing. Let's have a shit, shave and shower and back at it."
Next day, boom, 9AM he's there and we keep going. He shakes our hand goodbye and tells us to get going. He's headed back to the Bahamas and will await pages. No emailed draft. He wants paper.
He also rips up his notes. We are the only ones who know what version he wants. The studio wants us to start. But we say, we've already done a whole draft. "yeah, but that's not the movie anymore" they say.
Right, we say, but, look, we can't do this work for free. It's a complete rewrite. They say "tell us what he wants. Give us the notes." We say "you understand why we are reluctant. You could have been there. The director could have been. But you weren't."
They check with Sir Sean. He backs us. We're his guys. The studio agrees to pay. Off to work we go. Quickly. We had agreed to send him the first act of the script. And we do. To the Bahamas. And then we set a phone call for the next morning.
As we walk into our office, the phone is ringing. "Where are the pages? I don't have a delivery." We give him tracking information. He calls us back. "The damned customs office is holding onto it. I am gonna go round there and straighten them out."
"You're going to walk into customs and demand the package?" "call youse fellas in an hour or so." He does. He gets the thing, extracts a promise from them to hand deliver all future packages. And gives us the best notes on our pages. We spend the next couple weeks working w him.
One of the very best working relationships we ever have. And then, the director gets involved. There's a tricky action sequence, under water, that the director wants to do. We set a call to discuss how to write it, what it should be.
Sean asks the director how he's planning to shoot it. Director says "I'll use movie magic." You could hear the silent anger on Sean's end of the phone. "I started making movies before your daddy started pleasuring himself. I want to know, shot by shot, how you will execute this?"
Director says, "let's talk on Friday. 11AM. I will run you through my story boards and shot list. And for that call, it can just be me and you, Sean, we don't need the writers." We are fine with this. Let them sort it and tell us what they need.
11:15AM Friday rolls around. Our phone rings. Sean says "where the fuck is the director?" We say, we don't know. And then, suddenly, we hear a sigh. "Ahhh fer Chrissakes! I just turned on the tele and there he is!"
"There who is?" "(Director's name). He's in a goddamned female player's box at the fucking French open. "I'm afraid, boys, I agreed to do a movie directed by a fraud. You've done very well. But I am quitting this thing. Today."
A few months later Levien is in The Bahamas. He calls Sean, who comes to the phone and is a total gentleman. When the director's name comes up, Mr. Connery gives us one last great line, "Ah, him, that guy, he's a bucket of smoke."
Long before we met Sean Connery, we were enormous fans. That adventure with him, even though it ended without a movie, remains an all time highlight. He was brilliant, honest, suffered no fools, and never missed a call, meeting, conversation. Rip to one of the all time greats.

Last edited by Toddzilla : 11-01-2020 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #18
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Then there is this

Old 11-01-2020, 01:01 PM   #19
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Indeed, a life well lived, RIP sir