Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-26-2020, 07:47 AM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

Happy Thanksgiving FOFC!

To paraphrase Jim Nantz, we are having a Thanksgiving like no other.

No matter how you and yours have chosen to celebrate, take a bit of time today and remember something that you are thankful for.

For the first time in my life, there will be no turkey cooked in a house that I lived in. Roasts, hams, and briskets are the meats of choice this year.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:51 AM   #2
Edward64
Head Coach

Lot's to be thankful for this year, most importantly no family members ill.

(But ready to get 2020 annus horribilis put to bed and looking forward to 2021)
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:54 AM   #3
tarcone
Coordinator

Happy Thanksgiving!

Just my wife and 2 daughters this year. I refused to go anywhere.

Turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, rolls on the menu.

Cooling a 10 lb. turkey.

Really looking forward to this year and how the holiday is spent. My introvert-ness is coming out big time this year.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:18 AM   #4
miami_fan
Coordinator

I don't mean to jump to Christmas too fast but the family has made the decision that we are going to be obnoxious with the decorations and lights this year.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-26-2020, 08:28 AM   #5
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

12 lb. Turkey in the oven. We will be having dressing, hashbrown casserole, and green bean casserole, along with turkey gravy and both potato rolls and crossaints.
It will just be the wife and my son. My daughter is with her boyfriend's family. Just a rainy Thanksgiving made nice by being in a warm house with a loving family.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-26-2020 at 08:28 AM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:38 AM   #6
Kodos
Resident Alien

Just the wife and kids today. No turkey, but spaghetti with Thanksgiving sides such as mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and pumpkin pie. Turkey made no sense with 2 vegetarians, one picky carnivore who only likes meatballs and chicken nuggets, and another that doesn’t love turkey.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:44 AM   #7
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
12 lb. Turkey in the oven. We will be having dressing, hashbrown casserole, and green bean casserole, along with turkey gravy and both potato rolls and crossaints.
It will just be the wife and my son. My daughter is with her boyfriend's family. Just a rainy Thanksgiving made nice by being in a warm house with a loving family.

Uh, isn't 12 lbs kinda big for the 3 of you?

Sounds like a week of leftovers.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:17 AM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Just the wife and kids today. No turkey, but spaghetti with Thanksgiving sides such as mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and pumpkin pie. Turkey made no sense with 2 vegetarians, one picky carnivore who only likes meatballs and chicken nuggets, and another that doesn’t love turkey.

We used to do cornish game hens
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:25 AM   #9
BYU 14
Coordinator

Happy Thanksgiving all, we are breaking tradition this year and subbing ribs for Turkey so I can put my new Traeger grill to use
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:40 AM   #10
Thomkal
Head Coach

Happy Thanksgiving to all my FOFC family! Instead of the usual; 'gang of 50" here, its just my Mom and me-with a turkey, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie. I will have to help out this year, rather than leaving it to my relatives for the most part, but given the recent political strife in my family, its probably a good thing for all concerned.

I hope however you choose to celebrate, everyone stays safe, so we can all hopefully gather next year for Thanksgiving.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:04 AM   #11
GrantDawg

Edward, yes the turkey is for a week's worth of meals. There will be at least three days of meals between left over turkey and turkey sandwiches. Then, we make turkey casserole which is some of my favorite food. I think you can see my preacher past very well in my deep love of a good casserole.

Btw, I had never made turkey gravy. I always make the turkey for our big meal, but my mother in law always made the giblet- gravy. It was ok. This year I cooked them a turkey breast along with my wife's sides, and I decided I would try to make her some gravy. OMG! Not to brag, but my turkey gravy is insane! No real recipe, just what I thought would work. Too freaking good. Can't wait to put some on the dressing.

Old 11-26-2020, 11:48 AM   #12
rjolley
College Starter

Happy Thanksgiving, FOFC! My niece is in town to spend the holiday with us, but that's all that will be visiting in person. Will be on video calls with family throughout the day. No turkey for dinner as my wife isn't big on turkey and since I'm not cooking it, I'm ok not having one. We'll have ham, dressing, candied yams, brussels sprouts, roasted zucchini, and cranberry sauce with pie, cake, and ice cream for dessert...followed by a renewed focus on losing weight on Sunday.
rjolley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:55 AM   #13
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Happy Turkey day!

My parents and in laws are coming and that is it. Started the day off with a crumb cake my wife makes every day and mimosas. Wife cooking up a storm. Me and my daughter do a gingerbread house every thanksgiving while my wife cooks. The wife and I just had sex in the shower, and now I am on to beer, football, and waiting for our parents to arrive.

So far a wonderful day.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:03 PM   #14
JPhillips
General Manager

Tough not being home when it might be my mother's last Thanksgiving, but I don't want to be the reason she doesn't make it to Christmas.

Happy Thanksgiving.

pro-tip: Layer bacon over your turkey when you cook it.

Last edited by JPhillips : 11-26-2020 at 12:32 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:06 PM   #15
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Tough not being hoe when it might be my mother's last Thanksgiving, but I don't want to be the reason she doesn't make it to Christmas.

Sorry to hear...

We had to have a talk with out 7 year ol about why her cousins were all invited. she is very close with them and Thanksgiving is a big one for us. We explained to her we need to sacrifice this one so we have many more in the future.

All the best to your Mom...
Old 11-26-2020, 12:14 PM   #16
GrantDawg

Think of you, JPhillips. We are going to be doing the family zoom soon. When my wife dropped off the food at her parents, her dad said he wasn't sure if they had the ability to hear everyone on the connection. My tech guru nephew was over earlier this week and spent two hours making sure they are set up. *Sigh*

Old 11-26-2020, 12:17 PM   #17
rjolley
College Starter

Sorry to hear that, JPhillips.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:34 PM   #18
JPhillips
General Manager

Thanks, all. For those of the praying sort, a prayer for her as she's set to start dialysis soon would be appreciated.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:13 PM   #19
AlexB
Pro Starter

Happy Thanksgiving my friends over the pond. Hope you are making the best of it, and at least enjoying a good football match.

Stay safe all
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 01:13 PM   #20
AlexB
Pro Starter

Dola, wrote that before reading the thread - thoughts are with you JPhillips
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:55 PM   #21
Izulde
Head Coach

Made a Thanksgiving dinner for myself of a pizza, ramen with radishes for topping, cantaloupe, a Honeycrisp apple, and strawberry gelatin with extra creamy whipped cream.

Ate everything but the apple and it was the first Thanksgiving I knew what it was to truly be stuffed. The only turkey I like is my cousin's, and I don't like most traditional Thanksgiving foods. So this year I figured I had permission to completely break with all norms except the radishes (which are my favorite vegetable and the only one I truly love - I usually only have them during holidays, too).

My fellow reclusive singleton cousin (of the great turkey) evidently tried cooking for himself but it didn't go so well. He's been in a lot of physical pain the last several years and nobody's been able to pinpoint what's wrong or come up with a management solution, despite all the doctors he's seen.

I'll find out from him tomorrow what exactly happened.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:50 PM   #22
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Old 11-26-2020, 09:32 PM   #23
yisoloho
n00b

Happy Thanksgiving

yisoloho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:54 PM   #24
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Happy Thanksgiving! We went to dinner in the backyard of a friend of ours (only 2 of them). Atlanta being over 70F made it work splendidly. Interestingly our friend decided to make a ham rather than a turkey for the main meat. Though it's hard to make Thanksgiving for only 4 people, so both and our friends got ton of leftovers.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:00 PM   #25
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Man, I'll tell you, there is NOTHING better than frying up homemade stuffing on the Friday after Thanksgiving.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:24 PM   #26
Ksyrup

The highlight of our Thanksgiving was a made-for-video moment that would have gone viral if it had gotten to Rex Chapman or something.

For lunch every Thanksgiving, we have cheese and crackers as a small meal a few hours before dinner. So we're eating lunch and my wife decided to feed one of our dogs, who is close to death, some peanut butter because she's not eating her food. My daughter wants to give her some leftover cheese from lunch.

I don't recall exactly how all of this happened, but I'm sitting on the couch about 20 feet away from my daughter, who's standing over the dog with a spoon and a slice of cheddar. The dog ate the PB but wouldn't eat the cheddar, so Mackenzie takes the spoon and is practicing her softball swing. On the 3rd swing, she throws the cheddar slice in the air and hits it - and it is a perfect shot, hit on a line straight up the middle, somehow, improbably, traveling like a perfectly thrown frisbee - and it's coming straight at me. I'm part in awe, part figuring it's just going to lose steam and fall on the ground, and part unable to decide if I need to move because of the absurdity of it all.

So of course, I just sit there watching this cheese frisbee coming straight for me, and it hits me in the right eye and falls into my lap. My wife and 2 kids immediately lose it - two of them actually pissed their pants. I cried. I wish to God someone had been filming.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-28-2020, 06:54 AM   #27
Edward64
Head Coach

Went to BB on Fri to pick up the movies I bought.

No free spot in the pick up parking so stood outside and waited about 30 min. There was a line outside BB so I guess that was good BB was limiting the no. of people inside. Parking lot was full. Everyone wearing masks.

I wouldn't have gone in but it does seem that, if you were going to be open, BB was doing it the right way (except they could have been quicker with my pickup order).

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-28-2020 at 06:54 AM.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:42 AM   #28
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Went to BB on Fri to pick up the movies I bought.

No free spot in the pick up parking so stood outside and waited about 30 min. There was a line outside BB so I guess that was good BB was limiting the no. of people inside. Parking lot was full. Everyone wearing masks.

I wouldn't have gone in but it does seem that, if you were going to be open, BB was doing it the right way (except they could have been quicker with my pickup order).
My daughter ordered a gaming laptop to pick up at BB. She had waited three hours after the order with no message to come and get it. She went over, and there was a packed parking lot with a line going out the door and way down the sidewalk all waiting on an online order. She went in the store, found her laptop, cancelled her order online, and bought it. 15 minutes. Meanwhile, the line waiting never moved.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-28-2020 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:31 PM   #29
Edward64
Head Coach

Happy Thanksgiving 2022 everyone!
Old 11-23-2022, 09:54 PM   #30
BYU 14
Coordinator

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Gonna be a unique one for us due to Covid. I tested positive still today, but have no symptoms anymore, but Wife just tested positive Monday for the first time, so for the first time in our lives together, it will be just us, instead of the usual 10-15. Very surreal.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 11-23-2022 at 09:54 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 10:13 PM   #31
rjolley
College Starter

We had friends over of a Friendsgiving celebration last week so tomorrow will be a nice dinner out, then lounge around and watch sports for me. I'll also be monitoring the laptop and 3d printer prices to see if I can sneak in a new one through the sales.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Last edited by rjolley : 11-23-2022 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:19 PM   #32
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

This shall be a unique Thanksgiving for me. I get to survive both sides of my girlfriends family.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:24 PM   #33
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Definitely the middle of nowhere here in Ohio. My wife asked me to make a late run to the grocery for kosher salt, as we don't have any and she saw a recipe for brining the turkey she wanted to try.

So off I went, the new Meijer closes at midnight. Found the spice aisle quickly enough, and where there's normally two full shelf units of kosher salt... empty, except for what appeared to be a salt spill of some sort, no doubt caused by the previous two shoppers duking it out for the last carton. I'll resist the urge to falsely claim there was also a trail of blood leading from the aisle to the checkout area.

I found a friendly employee, involved in the overnight restocking. But that went only as far as the cart for that aisle, which had pepper, but not salt of any kind.

Very used to overnight everything in my area, I rushed to the nearest Wal-Mart... closed at 11:00. Target... closed probably at 10:00... a couple of other groceries... closed. Drug stores (pushing it now)... closed. All I could find open was a mini-mart off of a gas station. They had sugar, but no salt of any kind, unless you count approximately 235 different brands of potato chips. Also a gathering of 20-somethings in black and chains large enough that I wondered if a rave was starting up. That would have been fun.

Alas, I now have to tell my wife, when she wakes up, that I didn't start work on the turkey. And, to be honest, I hate turkey.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 03:16 AM   #34
Izulde
Head Coach

Just another day here in my spot of the frozen north.

And honestly, I'm fairly okay with it. I hate most Thanksgiving foods. Best meal I had on Turkey Day was pizza, jello with whipped cream, and radishes. Might see if some restaurant is open tomorrow

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 04:10 AM   #35
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Definitely the middle of nowhere here in Ohio. My wife asked me to make a late run to the grocery for kosher salt, as we don't have any and she saw a recipe for brining the turkey she wanted to try.

So off I went, the new Meijer closes at midnight. Found the spice aisle quickly enough, and where there's normally two full shelf units of kosher salt... empty, except for what appeared to be a salt spill of some sort, no doubt caused by the previous two shoppers duking it out for the last carton. I'll resist the urge to falsely claim there was also a trail of blood leading from the aisle to the checkout area.

I found a friendly employee, involved in the overnight restocking. But that went only as far as the cart for that aisle, which had pepper, but not salt of any kind.

Very used to overnight everything in my area, I rushed to the nearest Wal-Mart... closed at 11:00. Target... closed probably at 10:00... a couple of other groceries... closed. Drug stores (pushing it now)... closed. All I could find open was a mini-mart off of a gas station. They had sugar, but no salt of any kind, unless you count approximately 235 different brands of potato chips. Also a gathering of 20-somethings in black and chains large enough that I wondered if a rave was starting up. That would have been fun.

Alas, I now have to tell my wife, when she wakes up, that I didn't start work on the turkey. And, to be honest, I hate turkey.

this is the part where you shove two chili dogs in her mouth and yell "Happy thanksgiving bitch!"
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 05:15 AM   #36
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
this is the part where you shove two chili dogs in her mouth and yell "Happy thanksgiving bitch!"

Who does that? Lovely woman. That was not the point of my story.

Mostly, if anything, making fun of my absolute incompetence when it comes to Thanksgiving, which I just don't like in any way. I'm never comfortable being around people when they are eating. And eating is everywhere on Thanksgiving. My weirdness.

I hope I did OK. Some site said I could substitute sea salt at a 4/5 ratio and get pretty much the same effect. Found some, luckily, in a corner of a cabinet and took a shot at this brining thing.

Our 16 1/2 pound two-year-old cat was so excited when I was drying the turkey that he leapt from a bench ten feet in the air to a table. I yelled at him in mid-air and he somehow changed direction and landed cleanly on the floor, walked over to me, rolled over by my feet and calmly watched the rest of the process. Sweetest cat in the world, but he is into everything.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 06:33 AM   #37
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Just another day here in my spot of the frozen north.

Nice cloudy, high of 59 here
Old 11-24-2022, 08:35 AM   #38
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

And Covid is still affecting the holiday. My coworker was going to spend Thanksgiving with her parents, but they both tested positive. The good news is that she told me about it, so I was able to invite her to my Thanksgiving thing, and she is coming, so she will not have to spend Thanksgiving alone. Still kind of not quite normal times are living in.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 08:41 AM   #39
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice. That's the spirit
Old 11-24-2022, 08:46 AM   #40
Ksyrup

My least favorite part of Thanksgiving - peeling and cutting rutabagas. I don't know if it's a Jersey thing, but rutabagas are a family tradition on my wife's side. They make them like mashed potatoes. They taste like cauliflower. Anyway, peeling them is unbelievably tortuous. They have this waxy film on them and they are round and hard as a rock. It took me 45 minutes to peel and cut up 2 big rutabagas and my left hand is only 50% functional and I have a blister on my palm right under my index finger. This happens every year.

Good times.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-24-2022 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-24-2022, 09:02 AM   #41
miami_fan
Coordinator

Happy Birthday FOFC!

Just a friendly reminder to be careful with those first time new recipe experiments today.
Old 11-24-2022, 09:07 AM   #42
JPhillips
General Manager

Made it to Ohio after surviving the eternal drive across Pennsylvania.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-24-2022, 09:37 AM   #43
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
My least favorite part of Thanksgiving - peeling and cutting rutabagas. I don't know if it's a Jersey thing, but rutabagas are a family tradition on my wife's side. They make them like mashed potatoes. They taste like cauliflower. Anyway, peeling them is unbelievably tortuous. They have this waxy film on them and they are round and hard as a rock. It took me 45 minutes to peel and cut up 2 big rutabagas and my left hand is only 50% functional and I have a blister on my palm right under my index finger. This happens every year.

Good times.

Not a Jersey thing...
Old 11-24-2022, 10:03 AM   #44
GrantDawg

Happy Thanksgiving! I have two 18 pound turkeys in the oven warming after I smoked them for 9 hours. They are for my wife's family gathering that was supposed to be for about 40 people. At least 15 have already dropped out because of flu. I am basically going to end up with a spare turkey.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:47 AM   #45
Kodos
Resident Alien

We had to cancel on visiting my brother’s family because my younger daughter got the flu. And today my brother tested positive for Covid. He avoided it all this time, but finally caught it. Wrecks their Thanksgiving with their post-college age kids.

Happy Thanksgiving, FOFC.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 10:48 AM   #46
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
And, to be honest, I hate turkey.
Everybody hates turkey. If it were so special than we'd eat turkey all year 'round. You'd see Turkey on the menu at restaurants, Turkey at the concession stands at sporting events, Turkey at the food court in the mall. As such, it's confined to being sliced as thin as possible an put on sandwiches with other stuff so you can't taste it. Turkey sucks.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 10:50 AM   #47
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

You shut your mouth. Turkey is fantastic.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 10:53 AM   #48
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
You shut your mouth. Turkey is fantastic.

One word ... dry.
Old 11-24-2022, 11:11 AM   #49
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

So pretty much a repeat here.
Old 11-24-2022, 11:12 AM   #50
Kodos
Resident Alien

Turkey needs gravy to work.