Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-06-2020, 03:42 PM   #501
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Probably worth noting in here that Spotify is officially purchasing The Ringer.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/05/b...l-simmons.html
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:57 AM   #502
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Dave Portnoy reviews my go to pizza spot. It is an awesome pie. If you eat a double XL by yourself you get a free t shirt. I've done it about 9 times.

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:29 AM   #503
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Probably worth noting in here that Spotify is officially purchasing The Ringer.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/05/b...l-simmons.html
Pretty good job by the Sports Guy.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:07 PM   #504
Atocep
Coordinator

The Greinke article today is probably one of the 5 most entertaining I've read on The Athletic.

‘One in 10 million’: An oral history of Zack Greinke’s years with the Royals – The Athletic
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:24 PM   #505
Atocep
Coordinator

The Hardball Times has shut down and Fangraphs has created memberships ($20 for a year or $50 ad free), is taking donations, and will soon start selling merchandise in an attempt to stay operational. They estimate they need 40,000 membership fees or the equivalent spent on merchandise.

No baseball means no traffic for these sites and they also said ads are paying, on average, about 45% less than usual right now.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:29 AM   #506
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yikes! Hate to hear that for Hardball Times and if Fangraphs goes by the wayside, that's going to be a massive loss.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:56 PM   #507
miami_fan
Coordinator

Another round of layoffs in sports media today. This time at the Athletic and SB Nation/Banner Society.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 07-24-2020, 11:34 AM   #508
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

First full day of baseball season after a 4 month delay. I turn on MLB network on sirius/ XM and they are talking about 3D printed chicken nuggets and I turn on Sirius XM fantasy radio and they are talking about if you should draft Gardner Minshew in a one QB fantasy league. WTF?
Old 07-24-2020, 11:48 AM   #509
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

To be fair, I could easily see ESPN broadcast team spend a full half inning talking about 3D printed chicken nuggets.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:51 AM   #510
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
To be fair, I could easily see ESPN broadcast team spend a full half inning talking about 3D printed chicken nuggets.

I'll admit I was intrigued.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:30 PM   #511
miami_fan
Coordinator

This is not a paid advertisement.

The Athletic is offering monthly subscriptions for $1 per month for 12 months.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:44 PM   #512
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
This is not a paid advertisement.

The Athletic is offering monthly subscriptions for $1 per month for 12 months.

Wow, that's a pretty amazing price!
Old 09-17-2020, 09:03 AM   #513
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

The former staff of Deadspin launched a website called Defector.com

Although the name is kind of dumb, if you liked Deadspin, it is worth subscribing to.

Not as cheap as the athletic right now but i think 70 bucks for the year? I think it is well worth it.

Last edited by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding : 09-17-2020 at 09:03 AM.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:13 AM   #514
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The only issue I have with Defector is that they seem to not give a shit about MLS. Considering that old Deadspin was completely shitty to MLS, I'm not inclined to give them any money if they have the same mentality.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:48 AM   #515
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I just listened to a clip of a Bill Simmons bit, and I realized that I have not listened to him in months.

Some of that is pandemic reducing my drive/podcast time. But some of it is just there are a lot of people doing a lot more interesting stuff now, and he hasn't really changed in 20 years. Even the clip I listened to sounded like something he could have said at any point since 2000.

It wasn't a conscious decision to stop listening to him. Just that there's always something I'd rather listen to on my feed.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:07 PM   #516
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I did that with Jim Rome about 15+ years ago. I just realized he had nothing more to say and I had "outgrown" him.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-18-2020 at 03:08 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:23 PM   #517
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I just listened to a clip of a Bill Simmons bit, and I realized that I have not listened to him in months.

Some of that is pandemic reducing my drive/podcast time. But some of it is just there are a lot of people doing a lot more interesting stuff now, and he hasn't really changed in 20 years. Even the clip I listened to sounded like something he could have said at any point since 2000.

It wasn't a conscious decision to stop listening to him. Just that there's always something I'd rather listen to on my feed.

I don't think I had listened to his podcast since before Memorial Day. I checked in after the Clippers loss because I really do (did?) enjoy his basketball takes. It was just lacking compared to some of the other podcasts I listen to.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:38 PM   #518
molson
General Manager

Guess the Lines with Bill Simmons and Sal is sill one of my favorite listens. It was great to hear them again.

I enjoy the rewatchable movie podcasts too.

I don't think I listen to whatever the actual "Bill Simmons podcast" is unless he's talking about something besides sports. Sports talk is something I just have no interest in anymore, unless it's through a fun gimmick and mostly comedy-based like Guess the lines.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:37 PM   #519
miami_fan
Coordinator

I guess ESPN stopped getting the show.

Dan Le Batard is leaving ESPN in January
Old 12-03-2020, 04:43 PM   #520
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just saw that. I am amazed ESPN thinks people want to listen to Greenburg anymore.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:01 PM   #521
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

No crap. LeBatard is the only show I will watch/listen to on ESPN. I don't dislike Greeny at all, just have no need for that kind of radio/TV personality in my life. I guess I'm at the "spoof Greeny show" stage - I can't stand analysis tradio/TV and haven't watched many pre-game shows for years and years.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-03-2020 at 05:01 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:05 PM   #522
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Just saw that. I am amazed ESPN thinks people want to listen to Greenburg anymore.

You think they would have noticed when his show almost immediately got an hour cut like a month after it started
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:59 PM   #523
tarcone
Coordinator

Vanderbilt announcer Joe Fisher resigns and goes into rehab after coaches show.

Vandy broadcaster Joe Fisher resigns, enters rehab after 'unacceptable' on-air behavior

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:37 PM   #524
rjolley
College Starter

Hate to hear that Le Batard is leaving. I didn't watch his show often, but did enjoy it.

The only ESPN show I'll regularly watch these days is PTI. Once they're done, I don't know if there's a sports talk show that I'd like.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:59 PM   #525
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Vanderbilt announcer Joe Fisher resigns and goes into rehab after coaches show.

Vandy broadcaster Joe Fisher resigns, enters rehab after 'unacceptable' on-air behavior

I saw this when I looked up the Le Batard story and I have some questions. I am making a few assumptions here. I wouldn't think they would put a complete novice as the producer role for the coaches show. If you are the producer and everyone is in the studio, the producer has to see and hear the issues that are occurring right in front of you, right? If he is on a Zoom call or such, the producer has to hear and see that prior to the show starting, right? I wouldn't think they would put a complete novice as the producer role for the coaches show. Shouldn't the producer have made the call to pull the plug on the show to protect the broadcaster if not the station? I guess it is possible that Fisher was a prick and someone let him hang himself. It seems weird that they would let this go out on the air and for forty minutes at that.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:29 PM   #526
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I saw this when I looked up the Le Batard story and I have some questions. I am making a few assumptions here. I wouldn't think they would put a complete novice as the producer role for the coaches show. If you are the producer and everyone is in the studio, the producer has to see and hear the issues that are occurring right in front of you, right? If he is on a Zoom call or such, the producer has to hear and see that prior to the show starting, right? I wouldn't think they would put a complete novice as the producer role for the coaches show. Shouldn't the producer have made the call to pull the plug on the show to protect the broadcaster if not the station? I guess it is possible that Fisher was a prick and someone let him hang himself. It seems weird that they would let this go out on the air and for forty minutes at that.

I couldn't easily count all the coaches show (or post-game show) participants I've heard work clearly drunk (caused buzzed as hell IS drunk technically).
I mean, they're hosted in bars pretty frequently, it goes with the territory to some extent.

Most producers for something like that would have 1-3 years experience top -- exceptions exist but that'd be the norm, they're glorified board operators mostly -- it'd be a rare thing for one to have the balls to make any sort of decision on their own. And if they did, they be risking their own job even if they were correct.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:16 PM   #527
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I couldn't easily count all the coaches show (or post-game show) participants I've heard work clearly drunk (caused buzzed as hell IS drunk technically).
I mean, they're hosted in bars pretty frequently, it goes with the territory to some extent.

Most producers for something like that would have 1-3 years experience top -- exceptions exist but that'd be the norm, they're glorified board operators mostly -- it'd be a rare thing for one to have the balls to make any sort of decision on their own. And if they did, they be risking their own job even if they were correct.

Are the producers that young? I remember seeing a few of the Hurricane coaches show with Jimmy Johnson when I was in high school. The producer on site was an older guy. Of course I had no idea how long he has been doing the job. Just thought they would have looked out for the old treasured broadcast guy.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:35 PM   #528
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Are the producers that young? I remember seeing a few of the Hurricane coaches show with Jimmy Johnson when I was in high school. The producer on site was an older guy. Of course I had no idea how long he has been doing the job. Just thought they would have looked out for the old treasured broadcast guy.

It would be unusual to find much experience in the position in 2020 IMO, though I will say it probably comes down to who was in charge of the staffing -- the flagship station or the radio network rightsholder (mostly IMG at this point).

The latter is more likely to invest in an experienced freelancer than the former, who rarely would have any sort of veteran left on payroll by now. Full-time radio staffing is far more skeletal than many people realize I think.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:51 PM   #529
Ksyrup

I guess this is old news by a few weeks, but I just saw that Tom Rinaldi is going to Fox Sports.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-18-2021, 05:18 PM   #530
miami_fan
Coordinator

NFL announces TV deals with ESPN/ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, Amazon
Old 04-02-2021, 03:29 PM   #531
miami_fan
Coordinator

The baseball season has taught me that Fox regional sports networks are now the Bally Sports Networks. Now I can not stop thinking going to Bally's gym for the first time when I was a kid with my dad.
Old 05-07-2021, 02:51 PM   #532
miami_fan
Coordinator

Washington Post sports columnist Thomas Boswell is retiring after 52 years at the newspaper Washington Post sports columnist Thomas Boswell is retiring after 52 years at the newspaper

Boswell was a regular read for me when his columns appeared in the Stars and Stripes. Brilliant columnist.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:33 AM   #533
Ksyrup

Kenny Mayne was way too good for what ESPN became.

Old 05-25-2021, 11:51 AM   #534
BYU 14
Coordinator

LMAO, Mayne was the jewel of the station and yet Stephan A bloviates on.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:10 AM   #535
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

I saw that he had his Week One guess the lines pod with Cousin Sal up and decided to listen to help get ready for the season. The very first substantive point he made was comparing Belichick to Brady by making an analogy to the Rocky 3 training montage.

That man has taken "don't ever change" to an art form.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:28 PM   #536
Ksyrup

Anyone know what's going on with Todd McShay? I saw the clip of him this past weekend - which wasn't the first time he's looked off - and now he's taking time away. Is it an undisclosed medical issue, addiction, mental...? I hope he gets well, whatever it is. Seemed to come out of nowhere.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:45 PM   #537
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Anyone know what's going on with Todd McShay? I saw the clip of him this past weekend - which wasn't the first time he's looked off - and now he's taking time away. Is it an undisclosed medical issue, addiction, mental...? I hope he gets well, whatever it is. Seemed to come out of nowhere.

Nothing out there beyond speculation at this point afaik.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:19 PM   #538
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

correct me if I'm wrong but I think he had COVID
Old 09-07-2021, 02:26 PM   #539
RainMaker
General Manager

He had a weird episode last year too where it sure seemed like he was drunk.

It's all speculation but if you watch the clips, I think it's clear he's battling some demons.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 02:54 PM   #540
Thomkal
Head Coach

On Twitter just now from his account:

I am going to take some time away to focus on my health and my family. Thank you ESPN for being so supportive and for all the well wishes - I can’t wait to be back on the sidelines soon.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:57 PM   #541
Ksyrup

Yeah that's what I saw earlier that prompted my post. Actually, I saw SVPs retweet.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:28 PM   #542
Ksyrup

I completely missed the whole "Aikman might be leaving Fox" storyline. I think he's been pretty solid. I can't tell from what I've seen whether he's looking to get in on the Amazon thing or if Fox is pushing him out the door.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:33 PM   #543
cuervo72
Head Coach

I feel like QB have a shelf life. Well, really any ex-players. At this point, realistically, nobody under 30 can really remember seeing him play. Got to make room for the new batch of retirees. Surprised guys like Simms and Esiason still hang onto studio jobs.

(I don't think he was particularly insightful as it is.)
Old 02-09-2022, 10:34 AM   #544
miami_fan
Coordinator

Chris "Mad Dog" Russo will co-host First Take every Wednesday

I mean I won't watch because I have no interest in watching argument TV. However, if this is your thing, I think these are HOFer TV arguers, no?
Old 02-09-2022, 10:44 AM   #545
Ksyrup

They should just add Colin Cowherd and Skip Bayless so I can put all of the useless show people in one place for me to avoid.
Old 02-09-2022, 10:45 AM   #546
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I won't watch for the same reason but like most sports fans my age who grew up where I did I love Maddog.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:56 AM   #547
Ksyrup

Not a fan of Herbstreit doing NFL games. I'm not a fan of him personally, but I also don't like mixing college and NFL announcers. It rarely works. Tessatore never felt right doing the NFL, for example, and his demeanor was just all wrong, IMO.

Anyway, will be interesting to see if Amazon finally gets Al Michaels done now that they know the color analyst, or whether they do something else. Herbstreit bouncing between NFL and college Thursday to Saturday... good luck with that schedule.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-07-2022 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-16-2022, 12:50 PM   #548
miami_fan
Coordinator

Joe Buck, Troy Aikman sign multiyear deals with ESPN to be voices of Monday Night Football

Does it matter?
Old 03-16-2022, 01:05 PM   #549
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Fantastic news. I don't have to listen to Joe Buck on Fox anymore and I don't have ESPN.
Old 03-16-2022, 01:27 PM   #550
Atocep
Coordinator

Guess I'm watching the Manning broadcast.