Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-25-2018, 09:16 AM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Office Chairs

My wheel broke on my office chair, so I need a new one. Apparently, I can just find one online and they will get it for me (a rare bit of flexibility for the federal government).

My budget is Office Depot, not Herman Miller. With that in mind, does anyone have a type/style/brand that they really like?

albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:48 AM   #2
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
My budget is Office Depot, not Herman Miller.

Heh, pretty sure my chair (well, chairs - I did break the back off of one) of 17 years at the FCC was an old Herman Miller Equa.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:46 AM   #3
Edward64
Head Coach

(Sorry, not answering your question)

I have a Herman Miller Aeron for the home office and its been great. I got it for sale years back for about $800.

If you use the chair alot I would seriously consider a high end brand. Ergonomics, comfort etc. and know it will last you a lifetime with reasonable care.

Before the Aeron, it seemed that I would go through a Office Depot/Max/Staples chair every couple years.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:23 PM   #4
Edward64
Head Coach

Found a link you may be interested in

The Best Office Chair: Reviews by Wirecutter | A New York Times Company
Quote:
Not everyone has $1,000 to spend on a chair, or even $500. You lose a lot of features with a budget chair, but the HON Exposure makes the fewest sacrifices of any inexpensive office chair we tested. It has the standard adjustments we like to see in a chair, including depth adjustment, tilt tension, tilt lock, seat height, and height-adjustable arms, and it’s the only budget model our testing panel found comfortable for sitting longer than three to four hours. It’s not as durable as our other picks—we don’t see it lasting nearly as long—but for around $200, you get a solid chair that will at least be comfortable for the time it does last.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:44 AM   #5
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

Thanks!
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:02 AM   #6
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
(Sorry, not answering your question)

I have a Herman Miller Aeron for the home office and its been great. I got it for sale years back for about $800.

If you use the chair alot I would seriously consider a high end brand. Ergonomics, comfort etc. and know it will last you a lifetime with reasonable care.

Before the Aeron, it seemed that I would go through a Office Depot/Max/Staples chair every couple years.

Adding on to this non-answer 'cause I have the same story. Got an Aeron and love it. Having said that, I think one of the things I like most is the mesh back and seat that allow me to sit there for an extended time. Hopefully you can get something similar out of the HON.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:41 AM   #7
QuikSand
lolzcat

:non-useful response praising the Steelcase Leap II:
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:30 AM   #8
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Thanks!

If you get it please let us know how it works out.

My wife is looking for a chair too.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:37 PM   #9
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Herman Miller Embody........ Game changer

Just want to add you can find local dealers that will sell Herman Miller chairs for much less than what is seen online. I saved myself a couple of hundred dollars going this route. I also found a place while living in NE Ohio that would get them occasionally and put them up for auction. I made myself a pretty little penny reselling them.

Last edited by INDalltheway : 05-04-2018 at 12:40 PM.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:57 AM   #10
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
If you look at second hand office/liquidation places, you can often find good deals on chairs. I got my Herman Miller Aeron from a place here in Austin for $450. Works fine, just had some paint peeling on the base.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:02 AM   #11
Kodos
Resident Alien

I've been sitting on a $25 Walmart folding chair since March... Maybe I should get something better too.

Last edited by Kodos : 11-06-2020 at 08:03 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:42 AM   #12
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I have a Steelcase Series 1 that I really like. It was $415, so more on the budget side.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:24 AM   #13
Edward64
Head Coach

A good chair will last decades and the premium pricing is worth it. Got my Aeron over 15+ years ago and still going strong. No more back pain.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:41 AM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Man, I could use some advice here but I'm not excited about dropping $1000 on a chair when I'll probably be back in the office next year

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:46 AM   #15
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DXDJNH3/

At this price point, I'm sure it won't last all that long, but for a cheap chair, it's got great back support and reasonably cushy.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:49 AM   #16
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Man, I could use some advice here but I'm not excited about dropping $1000 on a chair when I'll probably be back in the office next year

SI

I think the series 1 is at a reasonable price point (unless you are way big). My wife and I are set but we were thinking about one of these for the kid as a graduation present.

Best office chairs 2020: Tried and tested | CNN Underscored
Old 11-06-2020, 10:29 AM   #17
Kodos
Resident Alien

Just ordered the Hon Exposure. Should be an upgrade from what I've been using.
Old 11-06-2020, 08:56 PM   #18
RainMaker
General Manager

My Herman Miller broke twice within the (I think) 8 year warranty period. Both times my fault. They fixed both for free.

It's a premium price for a premium product. I've had mine for 15 years now.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:27 AM   #19
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It looks like my company has deals with both Herman Miller and Steelcase that might knock 20%+ off the price. I might have to dig in and crunch some numbers.

SI

Old 11-07-2020, 02:01 PM   #20
Radii
Head Coach

CXO | Nightingale Chairs

I was all ready to buy a Herman Miller chair, but there is a "Healthy Back" store in Raleigh that has a lot of chairs in stock and you can actually sit in them and spend a bunch of time there trying them all out. The Aeron was just NOT for me. This chair from Nightingale was absolutely the most comfortable, and they had a big boy version rated for higher weights. At 6'4" this chair just felt so much better to me even without the extra weight I carry.

I think I spent $1200, that was summer 2013 I believe. I still have this chair and it is still in perfect working condition. I have another friend who bought one (not the XL one but the regular weight rated model) in 2017 based on my recommendations and he is 100% happy with his purchase as well.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 02:02 PM   #21
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

This is a big frustration I have right now. This is the type of thing where I'd normally go into a store and spend an hour plus deciding but I can't do that. And, by the time I do that, it won't matter as much as I really would like to get it now while working from home.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-07-2020 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:31 AM   #22
modak991
n00b

if you are a person who has to work all day on their table and chair then i have to say that you need to have the right office chair because if your don't use the right office chair then you will end up hurting your back pretty badly. So it will be my advice to you that no matter what always for the chairs that has adjustable armrest and mesh backrest. Also check weather that chair comes with good lumbar support or not. I have been disgnoned with lower back pain issue for using the wrong office chair for longer time now. After that i bought the Herman miller chair which eventually helped me alot to recover
modak991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:45 AM   #23
Edward64
Head Coach

Good bot.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:41 AM   #24
Bobble
College Prospect

Damn, poor guy was disgnoned for using the wrong office chair. I'm gonna make sure that always for the chairs that has adjustable armrest and mesh backrest so that doesn't happen to me!
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:28 AM   #25
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Follow up: I went with the Steelcase Leap that we have at work and my back has thanked me for it the last couple of months. We had a discount through work so it cost about $700. That's a lot of money but my body has been much happier with this decision.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-17-2021 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:48 AM   #26
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Just ordered the Hon Exposure. Should be an upgrade from what I've been using.

I’m sure there are better options out there, but this one has been good enough.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:01 PM   #27
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Follow up: I went with the Steelcase Leap that we have at work and my back has thanked me for it the last couple of months. We had a discount through work so it cost about $700. That's a lot of money but my body has been much happier with this decision.

SI

Never look back. There are a lot of bad office chairs out there but Leap is not one of them. If needed, divide the $700 by 20 years to help you feel better.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:13 PM   #28
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Never look back. There are a lot of bad office chairs out there but Leap is not one of them. If needed, divide the $700 by 20 years to help you feel better.

Yeah, it just made too much sense.

I was a big fan of it at work so it just made too much sense. After 5 years, the only complaint I had was that I had chewed up the seat upholstery a little because I have a habit of sitting on one foot (in shoes).

SI

Old 01-17-2021, 03:16 PM   #29
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I was a big fan of it at work so it just made too much sense. After 5 years, the only complaint I had was that I had chewed up the seat upholstery a little because I have a habit of sitting on one foot (in shoes).

So you have a leg/shoe, crossed under the other leg, resting on the chair seat? I seen women take off their shoes and do that but can honestly say I've never seen leg/shoe combo do that.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:24 PM   #30
molson
General Manager

I like how that bot successfully reignited discussion on this topic. I'd like to see more bots do that, especially if they could pull really old stuff out of the archives.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 03:38 PM   #31
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So you have a leg/shoe, crossed under the other leg, resting on the chair seat? I seen women take off their shoes and do that but can honestly say I've never seen leg/shoe combo do that.

It's a moot point at home as I don't wear shoes here

SI

Old 08-23-2021, 04:17 PM   #32
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Still very happy with the Leap. Bumped because someone was asking about chairs in another thread.

SI

Old 08-23-2021, 04:36 PM   #33
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Sorry! Something went wrong!

At this price point, I'm sure it won't last all that long, but for a cheap chair, it's got great back support and reasonably cushy.

Heh. And I was right on the "won't last all that long."

Lasted less than a year before it died.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:12 PM   #34
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I checked in this thread a while back, before throwing down $300 on a HON Wave. We have a conference room full of them at the office, and I like ithem better than my own desk chair.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 10:08 AM   #35
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Just bought a $60 chair at Costco for my upcoming home only job. It's more comfortable than what I've been using the last decade at my office, but I don't expect it to last forever. I just can't imagine spending hundreds on a chair without being certain I'm doing WFH for years.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 10:12 AM   #36
RainMaker
General Manager

I think I'm buying an office chair thanks to Coffee Warlord. Spent way too much time looking for one and then he pops in with a link to one that hit every requirement I had.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 04:12 PM   #37
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Just bought a $60 chair at Costco for my upcoming home only job. It's more comfortable than what I've been using the last decade at my office, but I don't expect it to last forever. I just can't imagine spending hundreds on a chair without being certain I'm doing WFH for years.

What brand is the chair? I just got chair off Amazon and it's probably the worst chair I ever bought.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:14 PM   #38
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I think I'm buying an office chair thanks to Coffee Warlord. Spent way too much time looking for one and then he pops in with a link to one that hit every requirement I had.

Let us know how it works out, will ya?
Old 08-31-2021, 04:31 PM   #39
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, I'm going to have to buy an actual chair sometime. I've been working at home for a year and a half now, and I have just been using some cheap fill-in that we got at Staples at some point and had on hand in the basement. I mean, I spend what, 2000 hours parked in the same chain per year? I could probably stand to buy something actually decent. (Plunked down $500 on a desk and table for the son's room at school, didn't really flinch.)
Old 09-12-2021, 04:29 PM   #40
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

You ever get the new one?

Am I a hero or a failure?

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 09-12-2021 at 04:32 PM.