Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-18-2005, 02:54 AM   #401
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

As far as injuries go, I'm finding that if I follow what I do in FOF it works pretty well. If a guy is injured and is probable after his injury, I play him. If he is hurt worse, I wait until he is completely healed (unless I'm absolutely desperate or it is the last game of the year.) So far, I haven't had any guys become reinjured or hurt worse doing this. However, I just lost my star RB to academic difficulties with several big conference games coming up

I had been managing academic issues well to this point, and he is my first guy to go onto probation in a season and a half.

Edit to add: Is it my imagination, or was offense toned down in the 1.02 patch? It seems that way in my current career, and I like it for the most part.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 12-18-2005 at 02:56 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 03:14 AM   #402
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Another query. Do the awards screens sort automatically based on who is perceived to be the front runner? I only ask because the QB algorithm would have to be messed up in my game if it is. I only noticed because as I scrolled through the other awards, they seemed to make sense, with the top RB's at the top, WR's at the top... But the QB's don't really line-up for me.
Correct me if I'm wrong, Sandy, but the QB list is alphabetical and the receiver list is by yardage. I don't believe they default to a frontrunner sort.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 06:47 AM   #403
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
not a complaint AT ALL because I really enjoy it. But I find myself spending the majority of my time with the game doing recruiting. just wondering if anyone has any kind of "tips" for making the cumbersomeness of recruiting any less.

usually i find myself

1) going through the list of recruits with 10/9/8 (and maybe a few 7) interest guys and watch-listing everyone who is a 3-4-5 star player.
2) scouting as many of those guys as possible, obviously starting with the 10-5 guys and moving on down to the 9-5, 8-5 etc.

3) checking my e-mail to see what the recommendations are
4) starting to act on those, beginning to recruit the guys who i have a shot at using my watch list
5) checking the visit list and giving 5 visits

the problem is i find myself going through 3/4 constantly to make sure that the status of some of the guys hasn't changed with regards to how many offers they have and how much of a shot i have, and then having to constantly check the guys that i scouted to see how much more of their preferences is revealed so i can decide on my pitch.

is there any way that anyone has thought of to kinda...make this a little less..."click back and forth from the e-mail" intensive? short of printing out each e-mail, cuz the laptop isn't hooked to a printer...

I also play on a laptop. If I'm reading this right, you're going back and forth to the e-mail section of the game. I've been opening the recruit e-mail, clicking 'print' and the game opens up that e-mail in a new window without sending anything to the printer. I can then just put the recruit e-mail on the taskbar and pull it up as needed. What would be great would be if we could move BBCF to another part of the screen and have both the game and the e-mail visible at the same time, but the game seems locked to the center of the screen rendering this impossible.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 07:44 AM   #404
Arles
Grey Dog Software

You can move BBCF on your desktop. Just drag the upper left corner of the game and it will move wherever you want.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 07:47 AM   #405
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Excuse me if this has been covered, but is offline licensing possible with BBCF? I have a firewall at work but can play FBCB, FOF, and OOTP because of the offline licensing option. Have not been able to play TCY, though.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:23 AM   #406
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
As far as injuries go, I'm finding that if I follow what I do in FOF it works pretty well. If a guy is injured and is probable after his injury, I play him. If he is hurt worse, I wait until he is completely healed (unless I'm absolutely desperate or it is the last game of the year.) So far, I haven't had any guys become reinjured or hurt worse doing this. However, I just lost my star RB to academic difficulties with several big conference games coming up

I had been managing academic issues well to this point, and he is my first guy to go onto probation in a season and a half.

Edit to add: Is it my imagination, or was offense toned down in the 1.02 patch? It seems that way in my current career, and I like it for the most part.

Are you letting your coaches handle anything? Kind of wondering if I want them to do anything at all?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:13 AM   #407
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Are you letting your coaches handle anything? Kind of wondering if I want them to do anything at all?

I let them call my plays while I watch the PBP during the game. That is all I let them handle, but I like to control just about everything.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:13 PM   #408
Easy Mac

Arles, is there a max/min for stadium sizes. Still working on 1-aa and obviously their stadiums aren't as large. Will small stadiums screw up the budgets? Also, any thoughts to making it possible to have a non-scholarship league. Obviously this is a first gen product, so I doubt it, but maybe an idea for a future iteration.

Link to stadium sizes: http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 12:58 PM   #409
Flasch186
Coordinator

if you request a "home game" from another team are you telling them to come to your stadium or that We will go to theirs?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 01:06 PM   #410
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

This game just doesn't work on my PC. Sad.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:08 PM   #411
Easy Mac

are you running windows 3.1
Old 12-18-2005, 01:14 PM   #412
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
This game just doesn't work on my PC. Sad.

Don't feel bad, it doesnt run on mine. Of course if I format mine, it may run...

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 01:14 PM   #413
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
if you request a "home game" from another team are you telling them to come to your stadium or that We will go to theirs?

They come to you.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 01:57 PM   #414
Havok
College Starter

something funny that happened to my top WR last season.

He became probable for 0-2 weeks with a root canal. So i played him of course and the next week he was questionable 1-3 weeks. I benched him for a week then everything was ok.

But still... Whats up with that
Old 12-18-2005, 02:04 PM   #415
Flasch186
Coordinator

why even look at the recruits during the season other than fluff. nothing changes correct except their stats and it doesnt effect anything, so other than fluff, and immersion, why even look? am I missing something?

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 12-18-2005, 02:25 PM   #416
Easy Mac

no, nothing I've noticed. I really don't like recruiting to be outside the season. I find straight sim-sim-sim then recruit-recruit-recruit to be very tedious. I prefer to have them mixed together. Maybe i'm just in the minority though. It would be better if their interest did shift some during the season, and I could set my watch list as the season progresses, maybe have a small recruiting budget each week during the season for scouting, then a lesser budget during the recruiting phase where most of the money is spent on the recruiting pitches and such. As it is now, I spend about an hour going through the initial lists looking for interested guys to watch/scout/should I pitch yet... definitely feels tedious to me.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:37 PM   #417
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
no, nothing I've noticed. I really don't like recruiting to be outside the season. I find straight sim-sim-sim then recruit-recruit-recruit to be very tedious. I prefer to have them mixed together. Maybe i'm just in the minority though. It would be better if their interest did shift some during the season, and I could set my watch list as the season progresses, maybe have a small recruiting budget each week during the season for scouting, then a lesser budget during the recruiting phase where most of the money is spent on the recruiting pitches and such. As it is now, I spend about an hour going through the initial lists looking for interested guys to watch/scout/should I pitch yet... definitely feels tedious to me.

agreed

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 12-18-2005, 02:49 PM   #418
MJ4H
Coordinator

I prefer it this way. It felt tedious to have to go through the process of recruiting when I was in the mood for a game in TCY. Just a preference. I understand it is not as realistic, but it feels smoother to me.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 02:50 PM   #419
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
are you running windows 3.1

No, but I keep installing it and get some automation error. Arlie is trying to get to the bottom of it, but I'm leaving town for three weeks tomorrow and so, it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense for me to have a game I can't play.

So..oh well.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:12 PM   #420
MJ4H
Coordinator

OK I really dont want to manage study hall hours or whatever. I have that set for my assistants, but it doesn't appear it is being done. The check mark for that is being left blank and everyone is getting 0 hours allocated, and all my players are getting suspended (like 7 or 8 at a time). What am I doing wrong?
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 03:24 PM   #421
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I let them call my plays while I watch the PBP during the game. That is all I let them handle, but I like to control just about everything.

So you have gameplanning turned over to your coaches?
Old 12-18-2005, 04:09 PM   #422
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
So you have gameplanning turned over to your coaches?

I set up my weekly offensive gameplans (formations, run percentages, who gets the carries, who is targeted, etc) myself. I also set up my weekly defensive gameplans myself. However, I let them call the plays within that framework and I watch each game play out as my coaches call the plays.

Right now, I'm halfway through a perfect season with USC despite about 9 guys being out with injuries and my star RB still being academically ineligible..
Old 12-18-2005, 04:12 PM   #423
Fouts
College Starter

I just bought the game and am going to call all the plays for my team the first year. This one had me wondering;
Quote:
Hawaii ball, Q1, 3-0-HAW15 (10:30) 0-0
Offense: Short Pass, Set: Weak, Play: WK-FL-screen
Defense: Stop Pass, Set: 4-4, Play: 44-run-Man-B6,7

QB Daniel May tries to set up a screen He turns his hips and shoots it toward the sideline. The pass is dropped by WR Adrian Matsos Hit him in a bad place, right in the hands.HAW: No gain on the play.

Hawaii ball, Q1, 1-10-HAW15 (10:11) 0-0

Ok, I'll buy 3rd and 0 (inches), but a first down after an incomplete? It's early in the game, but I might need that stop.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 04:21 PM   #424
Flasch186
Coordinator

the disconnect between the commentary and the result is killin' me.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 12-18-2005, 04:27 PM   #425
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I'm starting to think the game is hard coded for me to personally get no breaks during a game. Take for example my game in the other thread where nothing went my way, and in my last game I just lost 24-23 @ home against an unranked team. I was just coming off a 63-7 win @ Georgia where they just couldn't stop me. Then this unranked team somehow knocks my starting QB out of the game, picks off his backup 3 times in 2 quarters, and we fumble twice(Including once we were in field goal range on the game winning drive) and lose the ball both times.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 04:58 PM   #426
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

My Backup-RB (who is a 5/10 guy) just had a 200 yard game in a win

One thing that I've noticed is that it seems to me that punters still boom too many long ones. Non-elite punters, have hit at least one 55 yarder in each of my games.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:02 PM   #427
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts
I just bought the game and am going to call all the plays for my team the first year. This one had me wondering;

Ok, I'll buy 3rd and 0 (inches), but a first down after an incomplete? It's early in the game, but I might need that stop.
In that log, probably there is a missing play (a 4th and inches acomplished by you). I have reported a few missing plays in the pbp logs in the beta forum, Arlie is looking into it.

Last edited by Icy : 12-18-2005 at 05:03 PM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 05:04 PM   #428
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
One thing that I've noticed is that it seems to me that punters still boom too many long ones. Non-elite punters, have hit at least one 55 yarder in each of my games.
Punting yards are too high, and have been for a while:

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum...ead.php?t=7931
Old 12-18-2005, 05:11 PM   #429
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I knew they were high before, I thought it had been addressed in one of the recent patches. But it looks like it still needs to be tweaked (along with FG kickers.) I just played against a kicker who is rated 5/5 (on a 10 scale) who has 63 leg strength and 52 accuracy but he hit a 59 yarder against me.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:17 PM   #430
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I knew they were high before, I thought it had been addressed in one of the recent patches. But it looks like it still needs to be tweaked (along with FG kickers.) I just played against a kicker who is rated 5/5 (on a 10 scale) who has 63 leg strength and 52 accuracy but he hit a 59 yarder against me.
Heh. I hadn't checked kicking stats in a while, but it appears you're dead right. FG% is all the way up to 74.8% in my most recent season (should be 67.6%).
Old 12-18-2005, 05:33 PM   #431
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
In that log, probably there is a missing play (a 4th and inches acomplished by you). I have reported a few missing plays in the pbp logs in the beta forum, Arlie is looking into it.

Well, I was playing the game and never saw a 4th down. So, it must have happened in the background.

Another thing, why is the defense changing my calls? Audibles? It is happening alot. Forgive me if this was already answered in this thread.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:57 PM   #432
Fouts
College Starter

Playing as SD State. We lose 13-7 to Hawaii when my starting RB goes down in the 1st quarter. Still had a chance to win with under a minute, we were inside the 10, but couldn't get it in the end zone. Then we beat a 2 and 0 Stanford (21-9) as we rush for over 280 yards (starting RB and FB get over 140 each). I'm really enjoying playing the games. Getting ready to host Col State, before we face arch rival Air Force.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:39 PM   #433
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I HATE Star TE's who drop passes in the endzone that could have kept a perfect season alive.

I'm having a great deal of fun with this game
Old 12-18-2005, 07:21 PM   #434
Ben E Lou

The more I play, the more impressed I am with the recruiting AI.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:59 PM   #435
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
OK I really dont want to manage study hall hours or whatever. I have that set for my assistants, but it doesn't appear it is being done. The check mark for that is being left blank and everyone is getting 0 hours allocated, and all my players are getting suspended (like 7 or 8 at a time). What am I doing wrong?

Quoted as I'd like to know this as well.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:11 PM   #436
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Just got a RTE 91 error mid 4th quarter of an epic 17-17 battle. Unfortunately, I had forgotten to save in the prior week. I really need to remember to save every week. Now, I have to re-play the game in which my TE dropped the ball at the last minute.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 12-18-2005 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:18 PM   #437
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The way academics work for assistants is that once you advance the week to the GPA check, the AI goes in and sets certain players to have hours based on their risk and value. You should see the total allocated for academic hours drop a little after each GPA check week. But, you won't ever see a non-zero value on the academics screen since the allocations aren't made until you click sim week.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:18 PM   #438
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Just got a RTE 91 error mid 4th quarter of an epic 17-17 battle. Unfortunately, I had forgotten to save in the prior week. I really need to remember to save every week. Now, I have to re-play the game in which my TE dropped the ball at the last minute.
I'm investigating a rare and obscure error that resembles this. What speed did you have the PBP set to when this happened?
Old 12-18-2005, 10:20 PM   #439
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
the disconnect between the commentary and the result is killin' me.
I think the problem is I don't have enough phrases to properly dictate each situation. So, there are times where a play would be better expressed with a new phrase, but it goes to a "default" that sounds a little confusing. I will be trying to add more as we go along here.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:31 PM   #440
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
I think the problem is I don't have enough phrases to properly dictate each situation. So, there are times where a play would be better expressed with a new phrase, but it goes to a "default" that sounds a little confusing. I will be trying to add more as we go along here.

are the commentary files at all user-editable? I'm thinking the community could make a great impression on that if they were.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:39 PM   #441
Arles
Grey Dog Software

That's a good idea and one the beta team said after the release as well. Let me see what's involved with it, but I may look at it. At a minimum, I think I will set it up in that manner for future versions.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:43 PM   #442
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

cool. i just figured that'd be a way for there to be an almost infinite amount of commentaries without you having to kill yourself on it Arles.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:00 PM   #443
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Finally had some time to start a Missouri career and Arlie, I'm extremely impressed with all the little details in the game. I spent a few hours just looking at differnt things within the interface and now that I'm getting used to it, I'm amazed at everything you have in the game without it being cluttered. I can see myself getting lost in this game for hours on end. I really love how you have the fake players pictures in all your games, really adds immersion as well as all the modding in the game.

I just finished my first game, which I barely won over Akron.. wow my defense stinks.

First little thing I'm curious about, I have 8 home games and only 4 away games.. seems like every team wanted to come and play me at home. Seems kind of odd as you would think lower ranked teams would want home field advantage.. at least some of them? Also, do I have to hit the save button when using the recommend button on various screens? ..and if I'm having my coaches gameplan, do I need to hit suggest on those screens? I assume no, but I wanted to check. Thanks.

The game's great though and I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get further into my season. Well done!

Last edited by MizzouRah : 12-18-2005 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:07 AM   #444
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
I'm investigating a rare and obscure error that resembles this. What speed did you have the PBP set to when this happened?

The default which I believe is average. I can forward the save file if you want, but it is 2 weeks before the crash occured. (Annoyed at self for not saving every week.)
Old 12-19-2005, 12:44 PM   #445
digamma
Torchbearer

I don't like the fact that I can't redshirt my second kicker.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:01 PM   #446
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
I don't like the fact that I can't redshirt my second kicker.

Same for 3rd SS, 3rd FS, 3rd FB's, and 3rd C's.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:06 PM   #447
John Galt
Pro Starter

Another bizarre game log. Apparently you get a mulligan when your QB is sacked in the endzone:

Penn State ball, Q4, 2-10-PNST1 (00:27) 3-14
Offense: Long Pass, Set: Shotgun, Play: SG-FL-playact-in
Defense: Stop Run, Set: 3-4, Play: 34-run-SZ
QB R. Cross gets sacked for a 10 yard loss (DT M. McWilliams).

Penn State ball, Q4, 2-10-PNST1 (00:20) 3-14
Offense: Long Pass, Set: Shotgun, Play: SG-FL-playact-in
Defense: Stop Run, Set: 3-4, Play: 34-run-SZ
The ball carrier gets tackled in the endzone for a safety!
Old 12-19-2005, 01:20 PM   #448
TroyF
Coordinator

If you don't redshirt a player, but he doesn't play, will it count the year as a redshirt?

I'm having problems with the game logs as well. I can't stand the post patterns going for 3 yards or the streak patterns for 5. Overall, I'm having fun with the game though.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:31 PM   #449
digamma
Torchbearer

End of game logic may be a bit off. I've had two games in a row where I've tried a 55+ yard field goal with more than ten seconds left.

One with :10 left and two time outs.

One with :19 left and no time outs.

In both cases, I think I'd rather try to get closer with one play (or even two with :19 left) before trying the desperation field goal with my average kicker.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:43 PM   #450
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I'm not sure I'm grasping timeout usage. Once you call one (and say "Ok" to the subsequent pop-up), does the AI then apply the timeout only after the next play?

Perhaps I'm just not understanding it correctly, but it seems like timeouts are occurring in a strange and rather unmanageable fashion.