Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-22-2023, 10:27 AM   #1
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

White time do you eat the Thanksgiving meal?

We always go to my wife's parents for Thanksgiving. Every year, they say it will be ready by 1. Normally it's finally done around 2:30-3. Needless to say, everyone is hangry since we aren't allowed to eat since we have to save ourselves for turkey.

What time does everyone else get to gnawing the bird on Thanksgiving?

Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 10:34 AM   #2
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

You may want to look at your thread title.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 11-22-2023 at 10:34 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 10:45 AM   #3
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Welcome chillins! It's WHITE TIME!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 10:46 AM   #4
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I'm so hangry I could eat Dankey Kang!
Old 11-22-2023, 10:46 AM   #5
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Ghost Econ ... white ... I think it works.

Meal timing has been a bone of contention with my in-laws. They want to do something like 2:30 or 3:00. Then, it's inevitably 45 minutes late due to poor planning/overcommitting. My vote was 12:30.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 11:09 AM   #6
molson
General Manager

I think the whitest time to have Thanksgiving dinner is about 2:30.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 12:38 PM   #7
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Our plan is usually 12, but for whatever reason the person that is supposed to cook the rolls always waits till 11:59 to start them, and it is 1 or so before we eat. Yes, it makes everyone hangry. No, I do not know why she refuses to do them earlier. It means the turkey that I work my ass off on ends up being served room temperature, or we have to heat it up and it loses some moisture. God forbid we don't have hot rolls!
I'm in a pickle with the turkey this year. My Father-in-Law insisted on picking up the turkey this year. He was supposed to get a 22 pounder, but instead he got a 28(!) pound one. That's adding about 3-4 hours to the smoke. I'm considering spatchcocking the turkey for the first time to try to speed it up. It still leaves me with a large variable in cook times.
When I told my wife I was thinking of spatchcocking the turkey, she said "I didn't even know you were friends."
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 12:43 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Varies pretty widely over the past 20+ years.

I've done lunches, dinners, middays, you name it.
Here, out, at other people's, you name it.

It ended up being about the least "routine" of any/all holidays in my life.
Old 11-22-2023, 12:49 PM   #9
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
We always go to my wife's parents for Thanksgiving. Every year, they say it will be ready by 1. Normally it's finally done around 2:30-3. Needless to say, everyone is hangry since we aren't allowed to eat since we have to save ourselves for turkey.

What time does everyone else get to gnawing the bird on Thanksgiving?

My in-laws are the exact same way down to the times.

I grew up in a German family so Thanksgiving dinner was at a specific time and that's when it started whether one of the groups was there or not.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 10:47 AM   #10
MJ4H
Coordinator

Wife's side we do on Monday or Tuesday because her brother works EMS and those are the only days he has off. We usually just got out for a nice dinner in the evening.

My side we have a tradition of eating KFC in the evening. It's weird but everyone is much happier. Low stress, food is ready when we get there with it.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 12:02 PM   #11
GrantDawg

This is the best turkey I have ever had if I do say so myself.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2023, 12:32 PM   #12
henry296
College Starter

We eat Thanksgiving dinner at dinner time usually around half time of the 2nd game.
Old 11-23-2023, 12:41 PM   #13
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I don't start being white until 3 o clock, maybe 4
Old 11-24-2023, 07:16 AM   #14
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

It was white time for me twice yesterday
Old 11-24-2023, 07:50 AM   #15
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
This is the best turkey I have ever had if I do say so myself.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Did you spatchcock the turkey?
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 08:12 AM   #16
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
Did you spatchcock the turkey?
Yup. It took what would have been a 14 hour cook down to 7. Did 2 1/2 hours at 220, then cranked it 300 to finish so I could get a crispy skin. The turkey was moist and full of smoke flavor. Just perfect.

Next year I'm going to make it clear I want two smaller turkeys instead of the one giant one. Smaller turkeys are so much easier to deal with. As a matter of fact I just put a 9 pounder on (we always do a second turkey for the house and leave all the Thanksgiving leftovers for the out-of-town guest that stay the weekend). This one I brined in buttermilk. I'm also spatchcocking it. Should be a 2-2 1/2 hour cook.
Old 11-24-2023, 10:01 AM   #17
molson
General Manager

We had nice steaks at 8PM.

There's some things I miss about the big Thanksgivings of my youth on the other side of the country, but, I do like that holidays are actual days off now.
Old 11-24-2023, 10:16 AM   #18
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

First Thanksgiving apart from my wife since probably before we were married. I flew to Dallas to be with my parents (brother and his wife flew in as well), while the wife and one of our kids had Thanksgiving with in-laws.

We still ate around the normal 4pm time. We bought a takeout meal from a local restaurant and it was fantastic. So much so that I feel like going the gourmet takeout route from now on, even at home.

I'll be coming back here for the 5th time in about 3 weeks. Hoping to have my parents in NC by New Year's.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 10:30 AM   #19
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
We bought a takeout meal from a local restaurant and it was fantastic. So much so that I feel like going the gourmet takeout route from now on, even at home.

I was a big advocate of this for a long time and I think it's coming around. So many restaurants in town have Thanksgiving meal pickup kind of thing - you put your order in, there's some different custom options, it's all ready to go.
Old 11-24-2023, 10:38 AM   #20
Ksyrup

It was perfect for us - we were able to have a full meal with my dad at his skilled nursing rehab center, and they had the whole place decorated for Thanksgiving. Of course, he thought we were at an actual restaurant and got pissed when we wouldn't let him go get coffee for his pie, but he also gave us the immortal memory of, "You know, we can have this place to ourselves because I can maufacture a nice fart," which will now be a Thanksgiving tradition I will be proud to carry on. Mostly by doing it, not saying it...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-24-2023, 11:30 AM   #21
molson
General Manager

I think saying it should also be a Thanksgiving tradition. If I had a vote.
Old 11-24-2023, 01:12 PM   #22
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I think saying it should also be a Thanksgiving tradition. If I had a vote.

Make that 2 votes!
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 01:22 PM   #23
Ksyrup

I've got a year to perfect the announcement followed by the action.

Practice makes perfect.
Old 11-24-2023, 01:35 PM   #24
Ksyrup

A few other gems from my Dad (who suffered a TBI just over 3 months ago):

1. Another family was having a similar dinner with a patient at a table near us and a woman sneezed and my Dad said, "He has such a cute bark." He's been focused on dogs the last couple days and we're not sure why.

2. He was staring out the window and my brother asked him what he was looking at. He said, "I was just staring into space. People think you are a genius when you do that."

3. They brought him dinner on Wednesday evening and it was Mexican. There was some sort of very chunky tomato salsa in a cup. He pointed and said, "Is that frogs?" I told him to try it and let us know. He took a bite and said, "Yep, it's frogs."

4. We've been trying to get him to write things so I asked him to write my name. He said, "I don't have to write nothin', I'm retired" and started laughing.

5. He told me someone knocked him out (I guess referring to his vague understanding that he had a head injury) and my Mom corrected him and told him he fell and hit his head. He turned to me and said, "Do you believe she can lie with a straight face?"

6. In addition to his obvious mental condition, his hearing is shot. Part of his issue is that he can't understand what people are saying. My mom kept asking him something and he didn't understand, and then he turned to me and said, "There are a lot of advantages to being deaf. You can play stupid."

It was a frustrating, encouraging and entertaining 48 hours.
Old 11-24-2023, 01:36 PM   #25
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

You know the night time is the white time
Old 11-24-2023, 02:58 PM   #26
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
My mom kept asking him something and he didn't understand, and then he turned to me and said, "There are a lot of advantages to being deaf. You can play stupid."

Reminds me strongly of my wife's grandfather who could hear certain people just fine and other people he could not hear whatsoever.

Funny thing, it didn't seem to be pitch related or anything of that sort.

"Selective hearing" got him to 101
Old 11-29-2023, 09:56 PM   #27
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Somewhere between 1:00 and 2:00. Gives you time to eat, take a walk, clean up a bit, have dessert, nap, maybe take another walk, catch some football, and still be in bed by 9.

"Being in bed by 9" is kind of a big driver for me at the moment.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote