Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-01-2017, 10:56 AM   #351
bhlloy
Coordinator

Does anyone have any experience buying an outdoor TV? Do I need to spend the extra 200 or 400% for the outdoor models from someone like SunBrite or can I get away with a regular model?

It will be in a partially shaded area but we'd like to be able to view it from the pool which is fully open to the sun
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:26 AM   #352
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Thanks. The LG B6 models are still top 10 rated by several sites. I haven't seen ratings on the B7 models, but Costco has those for $200 more right now.

Do you turn it down to 720p for regular TV and use the full ability for Blu-Ray, etc. or just let it run at its best level all the time?

I just let it run whatever it wants to run at. The quality has been great for everything - 4K Roku, 4k Amazon, regular cable box HD, which is likey 720p.

Well, not everything. If there is the off chance that you ever watch a SD station, forget it. It looks awful on this TV.

I really couldn't be happier with the purchase of this TV. It wasn't cheap, but I definitely feel like it was worth the money.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:21 PM   #353
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
I'm thinking around $3000. The B series LG OLEDs are starting to hit that level and they're supposedly pretty good. If there's something comparable, or if it's smarter to wait on OLED and go with something else at this time, I'm open to all suggestions. It's been quite a while since I've even thought about anything other than a budget TV.
Like with any technology, the longer you wait inevitably something better will come out or price will be cheaper. With that kind of money right now I would go with an OLED, and probably opt for the LG C7 series. Many reviews don't think there's much difference between the C7 and B6 so if you can see them yourself somewhere it might help in your decision.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:09 PM   #354
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
Like with any technology, the longer you wait inevitably something better will come out or price will be cheaper. With that kind of money right now I would go with an OLED, and probably opt for the LG C7 series. Many reviews don't think there's much difference between the C7 and B6 so if you can see them yourself somewhere it might help in your decision.

Costco is carrying what looks like the B7 series, so I'm thinking that might work.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:56 PM   #355
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Does anyone have any experience buying an outdoor TV? Do I need to spend the extra 200 or 400% for the outdoor models from someone like SunBrite or can I get away with a regular model?

It will be in a partially shaded area but we'd like to be able to view it from the pool which is fully open to the sun

Seems like a good question. I know those are so damn expensive. I'd be tempted to try something lightweight and cheap with a cover before dropping an insane amount of cash, but obviously a YMMV type situation.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:53 PM   #356
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
So...should I be looking for OLED? If so, what are the other big things for a TV now? It's a living room TV for my parents, probably of the 55" variety or a little bigger, and they mostly watch TV/DVR but I am getting them an UltraHD Blu Ray player for Christmas.

LG OLED55B6P - you can find this model on eBay from reputable sellers for around $1500 (and no sales tax) from time to time. I have this TV and it's a great TV.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:24 PM   #357
Kodos
Resident Alien

Apparently it is about impossible to find a non-SMART TV these days. Thinking about dipping my toes in the 4K era. Maybe this one in 55 inch size. Anyone have thoughts on it?

Amazon.com: Samsung QN55Q6F Flat 55” QLED 4K UHD 6 Series Smart TV 2018: Electronics
Old 09-15-2018, 09:57 PM   #358
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Apparently it is about impossible to find a non-SMART TV these days. Thinking about dipping my toes in the 4K era. Maybe this one in 55 inch size. Anyone have thoughts on it?

Amazon.com: Samsung QN55Q6F Flat 55” QLED 4K UHD 6 Series Smart TV 2018: Electronics

Pretty decent review with my favorite TV review site - https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sa...fn-q6f-q6-2018
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:35 PM   #359
Kodos
Resident Alien

Nice review. Thanks. They certainly go in depth.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:49 PM   #360
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

I currently have a 65 inch A9f Sony Oled. For general viewing I have a 75 inch vizio quantum x which is also amazing. Anyway, I was curious if any of you guys that have had OLEDs longer than me have experienced burn in with sports or general TV. I tend to really baby my OLED.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:03 AM   #361
Edward64
Head Coach

98-inch TV for $3,000.

Yeah, I know we are in an economic/technological war with China and there's probably some sort of backdoor in their firmware so they can spy on me, but I'd buy this over a Peloton.

Xiaomi has the 98-inch Redmi Smart TV Max back at a pre-sale price of 19,999 yuan (US$2,855) - NotebookCheck.net News
Quote:
The smart TV that’s bigger than a single bed is back as Xiaomi has announced the 98-inch Redmi Smart TV Max is now available for a pre-sale price of 19,999 yuan (US$2,855),
:
:
The 98-inch Redmi Smart TV Max has a lot to offer for its 19,999 yuan, which is a very fair price for the features it has and in comparison with the price tags of devices from premium-branded opposition (Sony, Philips, etc.). There are smart TVs of this size for sale at prices that rocket past 100,000 yuan (US$14,285) in China, so it’s easy to see why the Redmi Max 98 keeps getting snapped up every time it goes on sale, based on its price point alone.

But the Redmi Smart TV Max doesn’t just have an attractive price tag. The 4K smart TV utilizes MEMC technology for smoother images, it covers 85% of the NTSC color gamut, contains a 12nm custom quad-core processor, offers 4 GB RAM and 64 GB storage, and it can boast of voice-activated remote control. Unfortunately, Xiaomi hasn’t launched the 98-inch Redmi Smart TV Max in other markets outside of China yet, but hopefully the company will as it is more than likely the 98-incher will become a favorite with shoppers looking for an affordable smart TV that’s larger than their bed.

And wanted to revive this thread because my daughter will be off to college and I can now reclaim the basement "media" room and make it my man cave.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-22-2020 at 06:04 AM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:01 AM   #362
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Amazon.com: SAMSUNG 85-inch Class QLED Q900T Series - Real 8K Resolution Direct Full Array 32X Quantum HDR 32X Smart TV with Alexa Built-in (QN85Q900TSFXZA, 2020 Model): Electronics
Old 07-23-2020, 10:28 AM   #363
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Interesting that this thread popped up. Finally broke down and got a new TV. Will be here tomorrow and I'll post an update/review...

Samsung 65" The Frame QLED (2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 10:39 AM   #364
Kodos
Resident Alien

Just got one of these. Very happy so far. And it will be ready for the PS5 and new Xbox.

Sony X900H 4K HDR TV review | Stunning Value | Digital Trends

Quote:
This year, the X900H adds a bonus. The set offers (or will soon offer, rather) features that none of its other TVs will this year — Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), especially appealing to gamers. If you want a Sony, and you want the best gaming experience, especially with next-generation consoles like Sony’s PlayStation 5 and Microsoft’s Xbox Series X, this is the TV to buy.

Last edited by Kodos : 07-23-2020 at 10:43 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:47 AM   #365
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCub View Post
I currently have a 65 inch A9f Sony Oled. For general viewing I have a 75 inch vizio quantum x which is also amazing. Anyway, I was curious if any of you guys that have had OLEDs longer than me have experienced burn in with sports or general TV. I tend to really baby my OLED.

I have a 2017 LG B7 OLED. I haven't experienced any burn in. I just passed 4,000 hours on my TV.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:20 AM   #366
Edward64
Head Coach

Checking around the bestbuy site and saw a couple LG 85+ inch TVs < $2K. Anyone have a large 85 inch and is worth it over today's standard of 65 or 75 inch TVs?
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote