No recession - just isolated parts of our economy 11 6.71%
Recession - bottomed out, going to get better soon 12 7.32%
Recession - going to get worse before better 85 51.83%
Recession - going to get real bad 56 34.15%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2008, 09:12 PM   #201
Flasch186
Coordinator

Well if Gustav fucks up the oil installations and that port in NOLA we could see a pretty dramatic spike in gasoline prices over the next few weeks thus giving a nice punch in the face to the consumer and perhaps the economy as a whole. I think the Pres would have to release oil from the strategic reserves at that point....no choice I'd think.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:30 PM   #202
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Well if Gustav fucks up the oil installations and that port in NOLA we could see a pretty dramatic spike in gasoline prices over the next few weeks thus giving a nice punch in the face to the consumer and perhaps the economy as a whole. I think the Pres would have to release oil from the strategic reserves at that point....no choice I'd think.

No, he wouldn't. And it would be an idiotic choice for him to do so, although there may be political reasons for doing it.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #203
JPhillips
General Manager

Yikes.

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- An industry group says a record 9.2 percent of American homeowners with a mortgage were either behind on their payments or in foreclosure at the end of June, as damage from the housing crisis continues to mount.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:17 PM   #204
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Yikes.

That's crazy.

At some level, recessions are needed. We need a gas-price fueled recession to get off oil. It won't happen any other way. We need a credit-based recession to get Americans out of the mindset that they're entited to have what they cannot afford. It won't happen any other way.

Last edited by molson : 09-05-2008 at 01:18 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:49 PM   #205
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I agree. An occassional recession should avoid the otherwise unavoidable depression.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:39 PM   #206
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
We need a credit-based recession to get Americans out of the mindset that they're entited to have what they cannot afford.

Problem with this is that businesses lose revenue, which then causes them to toss employees overboard, which creates waves that cause problems for other sectors. I see that unemployment has continued to climb and we may end up with a quarter that finally goes negative soon.

Businesses, and Wall Street, need to learn some lessons as well. The sooner they get out of the quarter-to-quarter evaluation process, the better off they and the rest of us may be. Being a slave to what an analyst says about your very next quarterly financial report is a bad way to run a business that you expect to maintain indefinitely. It encourages short term thinking and punishes investments made for long terms, which has never been a recipe for sustainability.

Last edited by Tekneek : 09-05-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:39 PM   #207
JPhillips
General Manager

Late Friday news dump FTW:

Quote:
Breaking News 9:01 PM ET:
Government Preparing Plan to Seize Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, Officials Say

Complete bullshit that preferred shares are going to be protected by the government and common shares devalued instead of wiped out. Socialize the losses!

Last edited by JPhillips : 09-05-2008 at 10:40 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:42 PM   #208
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
That's crazy.

At some level, recessions are needed. We need a gas-price fueled recession to get off oil. It won't happen any other way. We need a credit-based recession to get Americans out of the mindset that they're entited to have what they cannot afford. It won't happen any other way.

Value Driven: The standard-of-living bubble - Aug. 20, 2008
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:12 PM   #209
JPhillips
General Manager

Could be a busy night.

Lehman looks like it has no buyers and will file bankruptcy.
AIG seems set to announce a major restructuring.
BofA looks set to buy Merrill.

Wonder how all this will play this week. Is it a way out or a foreshadow of a broader collapse of uninsured banks?
Old 09-15-2008, 07:21 AM   #210
JPhillips
General Manager

World markets are down 3-5 percent. Looks like a good day to stay away from CNBC.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:41 AM   #211
Edward64
Head Coach

Was going to update this thread with the latest Lehman and Merrill news but you beat me to it.

Just 2 notes of reference from my past.
  • I remember entering a Merrill brokerage office in the mid-80s in a nice office building thinking 'nice place'.
  • I remember being in Times Square late one night with a co-worker and we passed by the Lehman office. They had several limos waiting for a pickup and I remeber seeing 2 Lehman bankers (1 older guy, 1 younger guy) waiting outside in the front. I thought 'wow, lucky younger guy, able to be part of the company'.

Sorry to see them go but maybe things are coming to a head and we can get this past us.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:55 AM   #212
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
World markets are down 3-5 percent. Looks like a good day to stay away from CNBC.

On the contrary, it is days like this that make CNBC worthwhile. I watched more of it this morning than I had in quite a while.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:01 AM   #213
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Just heard that the major sponsers of my favourite soccer team are going belly up
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:02 AM   #214
Logan
Head Coach

I hope financial history doesn't forget how Dick Fuld completely fucked up Lehman.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:08 AM   #215
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I hope financial history doesn't forget how Dick Fuld completely fucked up Lehman.

Looks like the Dow will start the day down over 300 points. As warped as it sounds, I can't tell you how excited I am about the relatively low market right now. I am putting quite a bit of money into my 401K over the last year or so. This slow economic period is going to end up being an economic boom for my retirement savings over the long haul.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:08 AM   #216
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:

It will. The boom-to-bust cycle in our economy is primarily driven by the ability to forget about history and do it all over again.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:50 AM   #217
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

sweet jesus what a weekend
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:58 AM   #218
Galaxy
Coordinator

Oil has fallen down by about $5, to just over $96 per barrel.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:42 AM   #219
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

AIG next?

Quote:
The New York Times reported late Sunday night that the company is seeking a $40 billion bridge loan from the Federal Reserve. A source close to the firm said that if AIG does not raise cash and is downgraded by ratings agencies, it may have only 48 to 72 hours to survive.

stock's down ~51% already today

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-15-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:05 AM   #220
JPhillips
General Manager

Yippee.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:15 AM   #221
Galaxy
Coordinator

I'm not a Greenspan fan. I think he is one of the reasons for the mess we're in.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:37 AM   #222
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I'm not a Greenspan fan. I think he is one of the reasons for the mess we're in.

+1
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:02 PM   #223
cougarfreak
College Starter

My wife works for Merrill as a CA. We are on eggshells right about now.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #224
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:

+2

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 09-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #225
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

jeezus - meltdown in the markets today!
Old 09-15-2008, 02:35 PM   #226
path12
Coordinator

I switched my 401k mix from 80/20 stocks/bonds to 40/60 last night. I hope that was the right move, but hearing that Vanguard is heavily invested in AIG stuff makes me pretty damn worried.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:37 PM   #227
Logan
Head Coach

This has hit pretty close to home for me. One of my roommates is on a sales desk at Lehman, a girl that's a good friend, she's in HR, and a buddy of mine who is a blast to hang out with, he's over in the asset management division. Sucks for all of them.

I have friends at all the other firms as well, and pretty much the only ones who know they're safe are those at Goldman.

Last edited by Logan : 09-15-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #228
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yikes Logan - sorry to hear that
Old 09-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #229
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
I have friends at all the other firms as well, and pretty much the only ones who know they're safe are those at Goldman.

Hope so, but GS is down 13% today so far.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #230
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Hope so, but GS is down 13% today so far.

It's not really unusual for other players in a sector to take hits on a day like this, is it? Their numbers will come back up before the end of the week, I bet.

I was about to liquidate a couple of my investment accounts and I wish I had done it on Friday. Now I will have to wait it out a couple of days to see where we go from here.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #231
Flasch186
Coordinator

its actually quite scary how intertwined it all is.

Ive been listening all day and people are really scared about AIG's possible failure and the FED just slammed the door on the idea of a 'bridge loan' but apparently Goldman and JP are being encouraged to help out.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 09-15-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:49 PM   #232
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
It's not really unusual for other players in a sector to take hits on a day like this, is it? Their numbers will come back up before the end of the week, I bet.

I was about to liquidate a couple of my investment accounts and I wish I had done it on Friday. Now I will have to wait it out a couple of days to see where we go from here.

nope, not at all unusual.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #233
path12
Coordinator

Quote:

I wish I knew enough be able to say. I've been taking a crash course in financial blogs over the past few months and have learned some but not enough to say anything for sure.

I do know that Lehman, Merrill and AIG going down in such a short time with WaMu and Wachovia on the horizon can't be a good thing......especially when as I understand it the FDIC has about $70B in their reserves and WaMu alone is up around $120B in insured deposits.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #234
Galaxy
Coordinator

What pisses me off about Greenspan is he blames others for the mess (such as the government running up the deficit, banks not checking themselves, ect.; which are all valid reasons and components of the mess), but he fails to take any responsibility.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #235
Flasch186
Coordinator

I hope NoSkillz was able to get out of those commodity positions a while back. I was right but I wasn't patience...not a virtue I do well with unfortunately.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 09-15-2008, 03:00 PM   #236
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I do know that Lehman, Merrill and AIG going down in such a short time with WaMu and Wachovia on the horizon can't be a good thing......especially when as I understand it the FDIC has about $70B in their reserves and WaMu alone is up around $120B in insured deposits.

I know someone whose livelihood is dependent upon WaMu staying solvent (although he does not work for them directly), so their troubles hit close to home. As for Wachovia, I have banked with them since I was in high school, but we had decided we would kick them to the curb earlier this summer and that should be completed very soon.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:03 PM   #237
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
I know someone whose livelihood is dependent upon WaMu staying solvent (although he does not work for them directly), so their troubles hit close to home. As for Wachovia, I have banked with them since I was in high school, but we had decided we would kick them to the curb earlier this summer and that should be completed very soon.

Re WaMu: I know a couple of people also (they're based here) and they're also who I do my joint checking with......but of course I'm small potatoes so not too worried about not being able to access stuff. I'm likely going to move that account to my credit union though just to be safe.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:37 PM   #238
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Re WaMu: I know a couple of people also (they're based here) and they're also who I do my joint checking with......but of course I'm small potatoes so not too worried about not being able to access stuff. I'm likely going to move that account to my credit union though just to be safe.

I bank through both WaMu and Wachovia - but to be honest I'm not convinced that any American bank is particularly stable at present.

I figure that with WaMu at least there's a decent chance of another institution taking them over because of the nature of their business and the amount of customers they have.

(I'm also small potatoes in the global scheme of things and so not panicing too much about things at present)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:38 PM   #239
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
I hope NoSkillz was able to get out of those commodity positions a while back. I was right but I wasn't patience...not a virtue I do well with unfortunately.

He was mainly playing POT as I recall - while its down I think it'll resume its grind upward in the future once the market stabalises (the company has recently announced its buying back 10% of shares because they consider the company heavily under valued at present which is a good sign imho).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #240
Logan
Head Coach

Ouch...sent my roommate an email this morning, no problem...just sent one now:

Quote:
Delivery has failed to these recipients or distribution lists:

[email protected]
A problem occurred during the delivery of this message. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please try resending this message later, or provide the following diagnostic text to your system administrator.

Last edited by Ryan S : 09-15-2008 at 04:55 PM. Reason: removed the real email address
Old 09-15-2008, 04:08 PM   #241
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
I bank through both WaMu and Wachovia - but to be honest I'm not convinced that any American bank is particularly stable at present.

I figure that with WaMu at least there's a decent chance of another institution taking them over because of the nature of their business and the amount of customers they have.

(I'm also small potatoes in the global scheme of things and so not panicing too much about things at present)

You can find ratings on all American banks here: Banks and Thrifts Screener - TheStreet.com
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:08 PM   #242
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Logan, May want to remove the email address from the post so that seach bots don't harvest it for spam. Who knows, maybe the system is down...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-15-2008 at 04:08 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #243
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
You can find ratings on all American banks here: Banks and Thrifts Screener - TheStreet.com

This doesn't seem to work in Firefox or Safari on a Mac. Is this Windows only?
Old 09-15-2008, 04:18 PM   #244
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
This doesn't seem to work in Firefox or Safari on a Mac. Is this Windows only?

It appears to only work via Internet Explorer for me.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #245
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Yeah its IE only There's another link that has similar data but I can't remember what it is.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:05 PM   #246
JPhillips
General Manager

WaMu may not be dead, but it's coughing blood. Their credit rating was lowered to junk status.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:06 PM   #247
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Logan, May want to remove the email address from the post so that seach bots don't harvest it for spam. Who knows, maybe the system is down...

SI

Haha...his last name isn't actually "last"...just kept the first name in there . Thanks for thinking of it though.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:21 PM   #248
Ironhead
College Prospect

Lets just say I work for one of the companies spread all over the news today. Not a fun day.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:44 PM   #249
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
WaMu may not be dead, but it's coughing blood. Their credit rating was lowered to junk status.

And now down another 10% to $1.81 in after hours trading. Yeesh.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:59 PM   #250
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
What pisses me off about Greenspan is he blames others for the mess (such as the government running up the deficit, banks not checking themselves, ect.; which are all valid reasons and components of the mess), but he fails to take any responsibility.

I have not read this whole thread but I have listened to many of the "experts" speak. Has anyone actually taken any responsibilty for any of this? It seems to me, Greenspan is dong the same exact thing that every other player in this mess has taken.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote