Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > FOFC NCAA Football Online Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-14-2008, 10:50 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

EBFL Conference Championship!!!! Files due Friday, October 17th!!!

Week 17

Big 12 Title Game
#3 Oklahoma State vs #11 Missouri

SEC Title Game
#2 Arkansas vs #4 Florida

No recruiting, so this is it!

Bowl Projections

Champs Sport Bowl: Purdue vs NC State
Texas Bowl: Houston vs Colorado
Emerald Bowl: Virginia vs Boise State
Meineke Car Care Bowl: North Carolina vs Rutgers
Liberty Bowl: Kentucky vs Southern Miss
Armed Forces Bowl: Texas A&M vs BYU
Sun Bowl: Oregon vs Pitt
Outback Bowl: Mississippi State vs Michigan
Gator Bowl: USF vs Florida State

Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma State vs Wisconsin

BCS National Championship: Arkansas vs Ohio State

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:52 AM   #2
cmp
Pro Rookie

First off we received good news before the game as 5 star FS Marvin West commits to Arkansas. That jumps us to the #4 ranked class so far.

But that was the only good news of the day. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong. First play from scrimmage for Florida went for 80 yards a touchdown. Then on our very first play after a big gain star running back Michael Smith went out with an injury for the game. On our second drive in the red zone we fumble the ball after what would have been a gain of 15 and Florida recovered. Soon after they scored to go up 14-0. Then, on our third drive, Ryan Mallet was injured and knocked out for the game. Needless to say it wasn't a good start.

We ended up going down 24-0 before finally scoring. 1st drive of the second half we drove right down the field, only to fumble yet again. After a 3 and out for Florida, first play from scrimmage, fumble again. 3rd on the game. Next drive, after driving down the field into the red zone, interception.

I've had bad luck before, but never something like this. It was enough to lose my star running back and quarterback. But then to keep fumbling the ball like I was was crazy.

Final score was 36-20.

Total yards for the game were, Arkansas 593 Florida 343. We could move the ball up the field all day long, only to turn it over. 7 turnovers in all. 3 fumbles, 4 interceptions. Extremely frustrating.

The bright side is at least I'm returning my entire offense next year. We should definitely make another run at the title game.

Good luck to Logan playing Missouri.

Last edited by cmp : 10-15-2008 at 02:54 AM.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:26 AM   #3
Logan
Head Coach

Wow, wasn't expecting cmp to lose. Certainly puts the pressure on me now! This workday all of a sudden feels a lot longer.

I should be playing by 6-6:30, so expect to be able to advance by 8 at the latest.

Thanks for the wishes cmp and congrats on a great season.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:54 AM   #4
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Grats to cmp...bummer to lose so close to a potential national championship game. At least you have something to look forward to and drive towards next year.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp View Post
First off we received good news before the game as 5 star FS Marvin West commits to Arkansas. That jumps us to the #4 ranked class so far.

But that was the only good news of the day. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong. First play from scrimmage for Florida went for 80 yards a touchdown. Then on our very first play after a big gain star running back Michael Smith went out with an injury for the game. On our second drive in the red zone we fumble the ball after what would have been a gain of 15 and Florida recovered. Soon after they scored to go up 14-0. Then, on our third drive, Ryan Mallet was injured and knocked out for the game. Needless to say it wasn't a good start.

We ended up going down 24-0 before finally scoring. 1st drive of the second half we drove right down the field, only to fumble yet again. After a 3 and out for Florida, first play from scrimmage, fumble again. 3rd on the game. Next drive, after driving down the field into the red zone, interception.

I've had bad luck before, but never something like this. It was enough to lose my star running back and quarterback. But then to keep fumbling the ball like I was was crazy.

Final score was 36-20.

Total yards for the game were, Arkansas 593 Florida 343. We could move the ball up the field all day long, only to turn it over. 7 turnovers in all. 3 fumbles, 4 interceptions. Extremely frustrating.

The bright side is at least I'm returning my entire offense next year. We should definitely make another run at the title game.

Good luck to Logan playing Missouri.

Oof. Smith and Mallet going down is unreal. I know all too well about that, like when I lost Darrell Scott before vs Florida State for the game. It all quicksanded on me and by the time I stopped it we were blown out.

Still, you had a helluva year and will get a BCS birth out of it with a young team, so I expect you to be in the hunt next year.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
cmp
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Oof. Smith and Mallet going down is unreal. I know all too well about that, like when I lost Darrell Scott before vs Florida State for the game. It all quicksanded on me and by the time I stopped it we were blown out.

Still, you had a helluva year and will get a BCS birth out of it with a young team, so I expect you to be in the hunt next year.

That's what happened to me, when Smith went down I didn't know what to do. No other running back I had could match up to what he brought. And lately he had been basically my entire team. So I started doing things I normally wouldn't do and it just went downhill. Even after I started turning it around in the 2nd half I'd get another turnover. Still though, I had a chance down two scores with about two minutes to go and all my timeouts. But, threw a pick at about the 25 and that was it.

At the beginning of the year if you would have said I was going to go 12-1 I would have been extremely happy so it was still a great year. I'm bringing in a solid recruiting class with some speed guys so next year my offense should be much better. I can't see myself losing to a cpu team at all next year so my games against Miss. St and Kentucky should determine if I have a shot at the title game again.

Last edited by cmp : 10-15-2008 at 12:18 PM.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Wow, wasn't expecting cmp to lose. Certainly puts the pressure on me now! This workday all of a sudden feels a lot longer.

I should be playing by 6-6:30, so expect to be able to advance by 8 at the latest.

Just got tickets to the Ranger game tonight, so I'll get to the game a bit later on.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:33 PM   #8
Logan
Head Coach

Your 2008 Big XII Champions, the Oklahoma State Cowboys!

We beat the hell out of Missouri, 42-14, mostly on the strength of making Chase Daniel our bitch once again. We picked him off 6 times as his balls really seemed to float (hehe), 5 of which were returned for TDs. Perrish Cox picked up 4 INTs (4 TDs) and 12 tackles to lead the stellar effort.

Now we wait for confirmation.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:59 AM   #9
wade moore
lolzcat

Gotta be honest - kind of happy we didn't get an undefeated team in our very first year.

Anyway - got a 3* DE commit, woopee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:26 AM   #10
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Gotta be honest - kind of happy we didn't get an undefeated team in our very first year.

(Ahem)

I'm losing a lot of talent on defense after this year, and clearly am not bringing in any huge recruits that would step in and contribute right away, so this year was my best shot for at least a few seasons. Plus as seen in real life, this is a really talented team that was probably underrated (literally) in the game.

Last edited by Logan : 10-16-2008 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:12 AM   #11
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
(Ahem)

I'm losing a lot of talent on defense after this year, and clearly am not bringing in any huge recruits that would step in and contribute right away, so this year was my best shot for at least a few seasons. Plus as seen in real life, this is a really talented team that was probably underrated (literally) in the game.

All of that is fine. We picked teams under 80 rating and we have several one loss teams.

Does that not bother anyone but me?

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 10-16-2008, 10:38 AM   #12
Logan
Head Coach

I mean, it's a fact of the game. The computer isn't great. If people want to bump up the difficulty for next year, fine with me. My games with Ironhead and Colorado were much more challenging than even my game with 2nd ranked Oklahoma. It also helped me that real life #1 Texas was something like 2-4 when I played them. Not sure how else we can handle it.

To me, I could win this championship game and sure it'll be cool, but it's not a big deal. More importantly, I've had a lot of fun and I don't think it's just me as evidenced by people's reactions going up and down the win-loss columns.

Last edited by Logan : 10-16-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:57 AM   #13
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
All of that is fine. We picked teams under 80 rating and we have several one loss teams.

Does that not bother anyone but me?

I have three losses and I would say that a lot of my game's against better opponents were dog fights. I didn't blow out a lot of opponents. I'm not really bothered because that's what happens with console games. I expected it and was ultimately surprised at only one undefeated team. The human games balance that out some.

If we want to go to Heisman, that's fine, but I'll tell you, it destroyed the other league I was in. The difficulty took the fun out for a lot of people and there was a lot of discussion of the fairness of how the CPU played (now, a lot of that is sliders based though). That's actually probably why you saw some occassional touchiness here from me regarding our sliders simply because I watched that league quickly spiral.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:01 AM   #14
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Actually, something that a league I'm considering joining is doing is spreading all the people out among all the different conferences so that everyone kind of feels like they have self-determination in their season but you still get recruiting battles, non-conference match-ups, and bowl match-ups.

I'm not saying that we should do that but if people felt like the no-loss, one loss teams were a problem, "promoting" that coach to a better school, different conference isn't such a bad idea.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #15
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Remember too that next season there will be plenty of non conference human games, I am sure. Also, Oklahoma State played very well and earned it, but for some reason, the Big 12's best teams also were not very good.

If Logan beats Ohio State, I'll be impressed. He is an excellent player, but Ohio State is absurd in this game.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:14 PM   #16
wade moore
lolzcat

Sorry if I de-railed things too much.

Honestly I'm more of the opinion that FOFC may need to split up by skill-level than by what time they're awake to play games.

Me and others got our asses kicked pretty easily by the better teams whereas a few owners manhandled the best teams in the country. If we upped the skill level I'd be absolutely screwed.

Quote:
Old 10-16-2008, 03:34 PM   #17
Radii
Head Coach

I don't think its really a problem if some guys are starting out either with better stick skills, or better teams, or a recruiting advantage, or all three things(two 77 rated teams are not anywhere close to the same. If one has a significant speed advantage at HB, or CB/WR, they are going to win almost every time IMO, similar with recruiting, 4* prestige > 3* prestige and its not even close).

Even without the disparity in stick skills, we ran into this dynamic in FBCB online play, which I think is the closest comparasion there is to this(since there's no TCY online play). Since we can't fill all of D-1, there's just no way to have everyone playing the same way for the same goal like you do in an FOF or OOTP league where every team is human run so no one has an inherant advantage over the CPU. Some guys want to win national titles in a more difficult environment since there are other human players. Some want to take teams from the bottom up, some want to play in the same conference as their buddies, some want to play their favorite team and it could almost be single player and be the same experience.

there's definitely a big disparity between all of us but i don't think it really hurts the league.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:31 PM   #18
wade moore
lolzcat

To each his own - it hurts my own personal enjoyment. if I knwo that some other human MAY lose one game a season and I can barely strap together a 6 win season and a couple of 3* recruits it's just not reaching it's potential fun level for me.

As Logan said, this is going to my best team for some years to come.

And I have 6 wins.

Best team.

Woudln't bother me as much if we were all struggling with these lower-level teams, but knowing that cmp is out there destroying recruiting and the games...

Quote: