Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2009, 08:34 PM   #151
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
So confused on what skills to go after and where to spend my attribute points. Also, I fished up that Fishing Pole, if I equip it does it enhance my fishing ability or chance to fish up rare items etc?

Heres my current stats and inventory. I have 11 skill points and 2 attrib to spend. Id like to go for whatever will help the town out.

the fishing rod doesn't enhance anything. Unless the item specifically says "+x" with a skill next to it, it doesn't do anything. For example, the worker class can get a screwdriver (+1 fine motor skills) and a wrench (+2 construction) that both double as weapons.

As for your skills, I say unless you really wanna be the lone worker in a town, pick whatever you feel to have fun and have your guy be able to keep on doing quests. Even my two workers (W7 English and in French World) are not "pure" worker, or else I'd have grown bored by now...

FM
Old 04-11-2009, 08:40 PM   #152
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Question, do I have to follow the quest order? If I decide there is a quest I just don't want to do, will that person give me additional quests as they come up still?

there'll come a point where you will not even be able to do the quest of one person, so you'll sit on it, but you might close the quest of another only to see that first person give you a follow up quest.

Just as Jon said, you will get more quest from that one person, but you will be stuck in the continuity of that quest line.

FM
Old 04-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #153
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I have replaced the broken clay jug (1-7 damage melee) with the recently acquired broken whiskey bottle (3-13 damage melee). Is there any reason to keep the clay jug or is it now obsolete for me & I should sell it off?

nope, no reason at all. Not sure you've learned about this, but there are two types of weapons: melee and ranged. Melee weapons depend on your vigor and ranged weapons on your aim and shooting. As was said before, a worker might not have put a lot of his skills in shooting, but still might have a bit of vigor, so he will go with a melee weapon. At least that's what I prefer for my workers. For that reason, the moment I find a slingshot or a rock while working, I sell it right back the moment I'm in town...

FM
Old 04-11-2009, 09:48 PM   #154
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
the fishing rod doesn't enhance anything. Unless the item specifically says "+x" with a skill next to it, it doesn't do anything. For example, the worker class can get a screwdriver (+1 fine motor skills) and a wrench (+2 construction) that both double as weapons.

As for your skills, I say unless you really wanna be the lone worker in a town, pick whatever you feel to have fun and have your guy be able to keep on doing quests. Even my two workers (W7 English and in French World) are not "pure" worker, or else I'd have grown bored by now...

FM

Thanks FM, id like to help build the town - so i'll figure out whats best for a good worker/melee build.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:05 PM   #155
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Thanks FM, id like to help build the town - so i'll figure out whats best for a good worker/melee build.

the points for building consstruction go that way:
3 times construction + repairing + leadership

So you keep those in mind and you should do a good worker.

FM
Old 04-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #156
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just made it to level 8 (5/91 toward level 9), figured I'd post for the heck of it.

-- $139 cash on hand (will spend $10 shortly to sleep)
-- Inventory includes: Gray rags & gray ragged shoes, red bandanna, gray cap, broken whiskey bottle + 1x spare cotton, 1x spare ham, 1x broken clay jug (to sell for $8)

-- Currently 16 jobs I can do, just added Picking Corn & Mow Pasture.
Next level up should probably add Picking Beans & Milling Grain.

-- Currently I have the most labour points for/am best at:
Picking tobacco = 25
Construction = 22
Picking cotton = 22
Shining shoes = 19
Picking sugar cane = 18

-- Attributes are: Strength & Charisma 3 each, Mobility & Dexterity 1 each
-- Highest skills (w/o bonus) are:
Construction, Fine Motor Skills, and Trading 6 each, then six different skills at 4 each
-- Lowest skills are: Reflex, Repair, Setting Traps 1 each (traps & repair have another +1 bonus with wardrobe)

I'm virtually exhausted at this point, will squeeze another 30 minutes of picking sugar cane in before heading to Hotel Calfornia (quad 6,3) to sleep.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-11-2009 at 10:11 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:31 PM   #157
Danny
Head Coach

I'm very close to Hotel California now.

I'm level 7 57/74
$52 cash in hand

My skills are mostly in Animal instincts which sits at 25

Right now I'm branding cattle for 3 more hours and then I'll be out of energy and will have to sleep. I should be on my way to level 9 hopefully when I'm done with the cattle. Tomorrow I'll probably just max more cattle and get the xp since I won't be home much to micro manage going for different quests.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:40 PM   #158
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I've got one more hour of granite mining to do and I'll rest after that. Got one of the five blocks of granite needed for that one quest that could bring me $300 and allow me to buy the last couple items I want to get before heading on out to meet you guys...

FM
Old 04-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #159
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

just added BYU 14 as Kidbrit to the list of FOFCers.

now 18 known people in world 8.

FM
Old 04-12-2009, 12:16 AM   #160
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Don't you worry about that.

This post cracked me up.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:38 AM   #161
Danny
Head Coach

Im not 10 yet, but I will probably go with Adventurer. Not sure though.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:29 AM   #162
Crim
College Benchwarmer

I'm halfway through lvl 4, and the quests are rolling in now, and the West Stats job calculator is really a big help in choosing which skills to bump, and which jobs to do in between quests.

RIP
Old 04-12-2009, 04:24 AM   #163
Danny
Head Coach

Just got home, a cow kicked me for 177 hit points.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:42 AM   #164
Crim
College Benchwarmer

RIP
Old 04-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #165
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I'm level 6, trying to get that Raven Feather and I need 2 more Western Newspapers. I have 72 bucks presently.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #166
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Level 5 with $53 (going to rest soon though so -$10 shortly).

Focused most of my attributes on Charisma and skills on Trading for now.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:11 AM   #167
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

just realized I've been an idiot. As I said, I'm working on getting 5 granite blocks (now up to 3 after my latest two hour stint) for a quest that'll pay back $300. My motivation in granite mining is getting down a bit, and I have some money, enough to buy either the yellow or blue checkered shirt that would give me +11 in vigor but for some reason, I was waiting to make that my final buy before leaving the town I'm currently a part of.

Why have I been an idiot? Granite mining's required skills include 3 times vigor. Quick math gives 3*11=33 extra skill points to that job, doh!

Currently galloping to my town to pick the shirt and get back to mining...

FM
Old 04-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #168
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I'm still only level 4, but I've been putting a bunch of points into building and repair. I don't mind being a worker for the town.

Question about quests. I accepted a quest from the sheriff and noticed that I'm going to have to gain a level before having enough skill points to do the work. Can I also accept a quest from someone else and have multiple quests going, or do I just need to grind a level first and finish this quest?
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #169
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I'm still only level 4, but I've been putting a bunch of points into building and repair. I don't mind being a worker for the town.

Question about quests. I accepted a quest from the sheriff and noticed that I'm going to have to gain a level before having enough skill points to do the work. Can I also accept a quest from someone else and have multiple quests going, or do I just need to grind a level first and finish this quest?

you can accept multiple quests without a problem. They'll show up either in the person's list of quest but without the exclamation mark, or you can access all the accepted quests in the "quest book". There's also no penalty to canceling a quest.

What I usually do is accept any quest I see that my character can do. Then whenever an exclamation mark shows up, they are a real indicator that a new quest is available and I can decide to do it or not, depending on my guy's motivation for the various jobs...

FM
Old 04-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #170
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Just got handcuffs for winning a duel, completing the sheriffs quest (for now I am assuming). I am 7 XP away from level 7, but the only quest I can do presently is scare away birds in hopes ofr the Raven Feather. Tried it twice now for an hour each time to no aval, but I did get a new shirt, a level 3 one, forgot what it does. I need 4 more work points to do the girls quest to mill grain, so once I get the Feather I'll be able to do some more.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #171
hawk4669
High School JV

Sorry if I missed it (been at work...on day 3 of my 72 hour shift), but is there a FOFC town yet?

Thanks guys.

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #172
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk4669 View Post
Sorry if I missed it (been at work...on day 3 of my 72 hour shift), but is there a FOFC town yet?

Not yet, probably in the next 24-72 hours would be my guess.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #173
hawk4669
High School JV

Awesome. Thanks.

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:11 PM   #174
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Not yet, probably in the next 24-72 hours would be my guess.

my guess would probably be more in the 48-72 hours range. Might be leaving my current town today, but will need to gather the $300 needed to found the town, plus rest enough to have 80 rest points available to found it. Add to that the fact I'm about 7 hours away from Jon and the couple other FOFCers where we might found the town...

Meanwhile, I did two hours of granite mining with my new shirt and damnit, didn't get one granite block. Still two block away from completing that quest.

FM
Old 04-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #175
Axxon
Pro Starter

I seem to be lagging behind but I'm close to level 3 right now and still having fun.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:15 PM   #176
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

woot! Just got those two granite blocks, now a couple hours carving out claims and I should have just enough to bid farewell to this town and head out West to meet you guys.

It might be two more hours after that though, no promises...

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 04-12-2009 at 03:16 PM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:21 PM   #177
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Going from Level 8 to Level 9 is a slow grind without any XP giving quests in the loop. Only 1 of my 3 current quests gives XP and I can't even do that task yet.

Gonna need some patience on this level after really zipping along up to this point.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:40 PM   #178
dbd1963
High School JV

I've made it up to level 7 and look good for level 8 soon. But I can't figure out where everyone is going to be meeting up. I think that it is in the 6th rectangle over from left, 3rd rectangle up from bottom, but I can't find Hotel California there. Have I got the wrong rectangle?

EDIT: just like that I found it, 6th rectangle from left, 2nd rectangle from bottom (or 3rd down from top, which is what I must've misread).

Last edited by dbd1963 : 04-12-2009 at 03:41 PM.
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:32 PM   #179
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Hey FrogMan, got a couple of questions (thinking ahead about Troutville a bit).

Let's say you're a town resident, so you can put money in the town bank (once it exists). Assuming we roll members in & out of our town in the beginning in order to let people buy stuff at 25% price (while remaining under our population limit), what happens to money I put in the bank if I leave? Do I have to take it with me, or does it remain on deposit & I can still pick it up whenever (or if I return to the resident roster)? Or, horribly, does it get lost if I forget to pick it up before giving up my residency?

Second question, with regard to town buildings & items bought there. Does the town treasury get any benefit from any of those transactions? i.e. If I spend $10 to sleep in the hotel, does that $10 go to the town treasury or does it vanish back into the game like it's an NPC? Also, any town treasury cost or benefits to any of the other buildings, such as the general store or gunsmith or whatever? Or is the only way for the town to build the treasury strictly "direct deposit" by the residents?

Just thinking ahead a little bit, figured I'd ask.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:31 PM   #180
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Hey FrogMan, got a couple of questions (thinking ahead about Troutville a bit).

Let's say you're a town resident, so you can put money in the town bank (once it exists). Assuming we roll members in & out of our town in the beginning in order to let people buy stuff at 25% price (while remaining under our population limit), what happens to money I put in the bank if I leave? Do I have to take it with me, or does it remain on deposit & I can still pick it up whenever (or if I return to the resident roster)? Or, horribly, does it get lost if I forget to pick it up before giving up my residency?

There are two things you can do with your money when in town, both happening at the bank. First, you can deposit it in your bankaccount. That money is secure and can not be touched when someone attacks you. That money shows up in the lower of the two dollar values right under the timer on the right side of the screen header. The higher the level of the bank, the more money you can put in the secure vault. If you leave town, that money goes back to your character, to the higher of the two dollar values, i.e. unsecure but that doesn't matter since nobody can duel you if you're not part of a town.

The second thing that you can do is deposit money in the town treasury. The deposited money cannot be taken back, by anybody. Once it's in there, it belongs to the town and can only be used to improve buildings. Once somebody goes to the town hall and picks a building to improve, the second screen asks for how long and if the money will be coming from his own money of the town treasury. As I said, the money is forever lost to the person who deposited it in the town treasury, so it doesn't matter if the person leaves town or not.

This brings another point I've only touched a bit so far, the importance of having someone with good construction points do the improvements. See, if a building needs 100 points to get level 1, it's better to have someone do only 4 two hours period of 25 points each (total treasury cost of 4*240=960) than another much weaker who would take 10 two hours period of 10 points each (total cost of 10*240=2400).

Quote:
Second question, with regard to town buildings & items bought there. Does the town treasury get any benefit from any of those transactions? i.e. If I spend $10 to sleep in the hotel, does that $10 go to the town treasury or does it vanish back into the game like it's an NPC? Also, any town treasury cost or benefits to any of the other buildings, such as the general store or gunsmith or whatever? Or is the only way for the town to build the treasury strictly "direct deposit" by the residents?

The town gets benefit of only one thing: purchases done by non team members, to the rate of 5% of the item price. Payment for a night at the hotel gives nothing back, neither does any purchase done by a town member at any of the stores. So basically, yeah the only way for the town treasury to get some money is by direct deposit from residents.

One thing to know is that as a visitor in a town, you don't get to see the real items on sale. Take for example, the tailor at Hotel California, a town you've mentioned before. If you take a look at header once in the store, it read Tailor (Level 3) and right below it you can see Goods (Level 1). I think there's a difference of two level from what's really available to town members and what's shown to visitors. What some town have done, it's to make the item public, either in the town profile or on a separate webpage, to let visitors know what they have and keep one spot open in the residences for visitor. These towns usually require the visitor to leave a deposit of $100 or $150 in the town treasury. I've done that a few times. In fact, it's how I got to meet the group with which I am at the moment. I wanted to get the donkey but didn't want to pay the full $1000 so i offered to visit them and pay $150 for the shopping visit. Ended up costing me $250+150=400 instead of the full 1000...

That could be a way of having some people deposit money in our coffers.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you need something else.

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 04-12-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #181
Crim
College Benchwarmer

FM, How does the town "stock" the store. In other words, is it luck of the draw what our General Store will have to offer, or can we in some way influence that?

RIP
Old 04-12-2009, 06:49 PM   #182
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
FM, How does the town "stock" the store. In other words, is it luck of the draw what our General Store will have to offer, or can we in some way influence that?

What I've learned is that it's pretty much luck, bettered by the praying of the one doing the building. This is no joke, message to anyone who'll eventually do some building improvements, pray 15-30 minutes for every 2 hours of building improvement you do. I didn't know about it when I started working on my son's town (French world) and our tailor had only three items at the first level. Started doing the praying thing and level two saw five more for a total of 8 and our level 3 tailor now has 17 items to offer.

FM
Old 04-12-2009, 06:53 PM   #183
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

oh, and semi-useful thing to know, especially for when we'll have many items available in our stores. There are three skills that have absolutely no use whatsoever in any job: health points, dodging, and aim.

If you get a piece of clothing with only one of these skills as a boost, you can sell it without remorse...

FM
Old 04-12-2009, 07:05 PM   #184
Crim
College Benchwarmer

But useful in a duel, right?????

RIP
Old 04-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #185
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
But useful in a duel, right?????

oh, absolutely, just don't think these skills will help you in any upcoming quests. That's what I meant.

I've not been into dueling at all since I started so my purchases of items have all been in terms of what can help me level up faster, or gain more money faster... I don't wear a piece of clothing to duel, maybe that'll change at some point though.

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 04-12-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:24 PM   #186
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Ugh. I need one more f'ing skill point to mill grain. Apparently I miscalcuated. So now I am just doing menial tasks trying to get leveled.

FM whats the best advice to get leveled quickest through jobs?
Old 04-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #187
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Ugh. I need one more f'ing skill point to mill grain. Apparently I miscalcuated. So now I am just doing menial tasks trying to get leveled.

FM whats the best advice to get leveled quickest through jobs?

Visit The West Stats, import your skills and inventory and go to the personal job calculator. Once there, check "My best items for job" in the "Apply bonus" section and "My Items" in the "Show best items from:" section. Also check the box to hide jobs you can't do. Hit "Filter" and then click the header of the experience column (the star). The jobs giving the most experience will be at the bottom, concentrate on a rotation of those, experimenting sometimes with jobs that have a little less return in experience, but for which you have more skill.

FM
Old 04-12-2009, 07:49 PM   #188
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

just slightly changed the subject of the thread to better reflect what the game is about.

FM
Old 04-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #189
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Did you get the same thing I got?

that was it exactly
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #190
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Warm Hand Luke just signed up in World 8
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #191
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Just went to a hotel. Need to rest up so I can hopefully do enough work to level tomorrow and then begin quests again.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:53 PM   #192
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you need something else.

Thanks, I figured the money going into the treasury was a one way deal but wasn't sure about our own personal bank accounts if we left the town (temporarily) or something.

Good to know about the 5% on sales of items to non-residents, it ain't much but at least it's something. Sort of like a Discover Card cash-back program in reverse except for merchants

Great point about the minimizing number of work hours to reduce the town's cost, hadn't really thought about that yet. You mention an example of 100 points for a level 1 building, is the computation on that as simple as "I have 7 points in construction" so it'd take me 14.5 hours to complete that building if I was the only one working on it?
Old 04-12-2009, 08:53 PM   #193
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Luke Warmwater is now scaring birds off the field in world 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Warm Hand Luke just signed up in World 8

Paging "Luke Skywarmer"..."Luke Skywarmer" to the white courtesy phone...
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:31 PM   #194
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Thanks, I figured the money going into the treasury was a one way deal but wasn't sure about our own personal bank accounts if we left the town (temporarily) or something.

yeah, and I've tested it personally with my character in world 8 as I was an adventurer moving from town to town within an empire.

Quote:
Good to know about the 5% on sales of items to non-residents, it ain't much but at least it's something. Sort of like a Discover Card cash-back program in reverse except for merchants

yeah, but again from experience, there really are not too many outsiders shopping around although I have seen maybe one or two $50 from shoppers which tells me they might have bought the donkey at full price...

Quote:
Great point about the minimizing number of work hours to reduce the town's cost, hadn't really thought about that yet. You mention an example of 100 points for a level 1 building, is the computation on that as simple as "I have 7 points in construction" so it'd take me 14.5 hours to complete that building if I was the only one working on it?

I simplified the example, but I see it as being pretty straigtforward, especially in light of what I did this morning.

Just ran some test with the works I did on my French town. Did a couple of hours of improvement of the General Store this morning.

Addition of skills for both two hour periods was 178 and difficulty was 30 so my net labor points came to 148. I'm working on upgrading it to level 2. Putting up a level 1 building has a difficulty of 15. In fact, it seems that the difficulty increase by 15 for every subsequent level.

Anyway, first two hours started with motivation at 100%, ended at 94% and report says I improved it 74 points out of 200. FWIW, level 1 general store only needs 100 points to be done.

I did the two two hour periods back to back, so the second started with motivation at 94% and ended at 89% and report says I improved it 71 points.

I know there's some randomness to the calculation from reading in the forum, but looks like a fairly straightforward calculation here. One could assume that you improve the building by (net labor points)/4*motivation% for every hour worked on said building. How long it'll take someone to finish the work then becomes dependent on what level you are trying to bring it to, i.e. how many points you need to add to it before it levels up.

So, the computation isn't nearly as easy as saying "I have this many points in construction" since the construction job, like any other job, takes into account five skills (well three different ones since it starts with construction*3) but it's easy enough that you can figure out who's best to allow the job of improving your buildings.

When I first joined my first town in world 7, the founder was a pure builder, said in the town forum that if you had something like under 45 construction, not to think about building stuff. He was maybe a couple levels higher than me and I only had 25 in the one skill called construction so I decided to play for fun, while still adding a little construction skill every now an then. A couple weeks later, the guy and five others either all attacked in Iraq, where he said he was, or all got bored, or got all banned, but anyway, we didn't have workers anymore. I've been working on town building ever since...

Anyway, hope this makes sense to anyone other than me. Let me know if I'm unclear.

FM
Old 04-12-2009, 09:58 PM   #195
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
FWIW, level 1 general store only needs 100 points to be done ... One could assume that you improve the building by (net labor points)/4*motivation% for every hour worked on said building.

Alright, so if I'm following things down to the brass tacks here, check my math to see if I get it.

I've currently got 26 net points toward "Construction" (3 x 7 construction skill + 2 repair + 3 leadership = 26 labour points minus 15 difficulty for level 1 bldg = 11 net labour points)

11/4*100% = 2.75 points toward finishing a 100 point building in the first hour (with declining returns as my motivation drops). So all by myself, working only with motivation at 100%, it would take me 36.50 hours (rounded up to nearest unit of work time)to complete a level one building ... and it would cost the town 36.5*240 = $8,760 for me to do so.

If that's right then ... damn.

Even if I put my next attribute to the red (+3 for const.) and all three skill points to construction (adding 3x3 to my points on the building task), I'd still only be a 38 -15 or 23 net, or still 17.5 work & about $4,200 for a level one building with me constructing it. Makes me feel like a really bad version of Bob the Builder, when I kind of thought I was doing okay in building toward being at least a decent guy with a hammer. I think my reality check may have just come in
Old 04-12-2009, 11:32 PM   #196
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I think my reality check may have just come in

LOL! Maybe it's a good reality check for everyone too. I mean, your example combined with my calculations have brought forward the point that we need some people to be dedicated to be good workers. And we'll need a couple of those, so that they can do other jobs in between working on the town buildings, in order to keep their motivation from dropping too fast.

Quick question though: did you take into account the boosts you might get from clothing?

I had not done that computation for my level 23 adventurer in World 8, let's see.

My construction skills are:
construction = 41
construction = 41
construction = 41
repairing = 13
leadership = 11
-----------------
total = 147

that's a net 132 labour points, or 33 building points per hour. That's about three hours for a building of 100 points but I don't remember ever being able to finish a buidling in only three hours, but I also didn't do it on level one building with a lever 23 player who's got a +13 construction bow tie and a +4 construction brown clothing. That bow tie is quite amazing, when working on town building, it gives a combined +39. Three hours of work would be $360, not to put you down Jon.

Anyway, I said it before, I'm willing to dedicate myself to working on building one, maybe two town for a while until people start to catch up with me.

I got $268 to my name right now and will be paying a farewell fee of $200 and should be able to leave to get to you guys tomorrow morning, fresh after a good night sleep. Getting the $300 needed to found a town will be the next thing up...

Are we still okay with founding our town in the (6, 2) quadrant? That's considering that the bottom left square is (0, 0). Looks like a fairly quiet piece of land...

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 04-12-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:48 PM   #197
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Build away La Grenouille, build away
(hope that's right, stole it from an NCIS wiki I happened to be looking at a few minutes ago)

It kind of seems to me that we're gapped in our skills, with you at a level way above the rest of us who are all close together. What's missing is somebody (or 2 or 3) in the 20's where you were when you started building in the other world. Not sure there's anything we can/should do about that of course, just saying it seems like a gap we probably ought to at least be conscious of.

I'm real flexible on the location as far as that goes. Right now, other than you, I think the rest of FOFC'ers are greenhorns with the +150% travel speed but no donkey, and I really don't think location is an issue for anybody to get to (or work their way toward) so wherever makes the most sense based on your experience is what i'd be inclined to go with.

I will mention that I think one of the two largest towns in the map is in this general area, not sure whether that should be an influence on where we choose or not.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:05 AM   #198
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Build away La Grenouille, build away
(hope that's right, stole it from an NCIS wiki I happened to be looking at a few minutes ago)

LOL, it's quite well said.

Quote:
It kind of seems to me that we're gapped in our skills, with you at a level way above the rest of us who are all close together. What's missing is somebody (or 2 or 3) in the 20's where you were when you started building in the other world. Not sure there's anything we can/should do about that of course, just saying it seems like a gap we probably ought to at least be conscious of.

Yeah, I knew I'd be way ahead of you guys. Don't even know why I didn't post about the game sooner either. It's really no big deal, honestly. I'll be doing whatever is need for the town(s) to work, including donating large chunks of money and dedicating time to building up the town.

I think it'll be important that some people go the worker route too, so that at some point, probably not too far either, they will be able to take over most of the building work.

Quote:
I'm real flexible on the location as far as that goes. Right now, other than you, I think the rest of FOFC'ers are greenhorns with the +150% travel speed but no donkey, and I really don't think location is an issue for anybody to get to (or work their way toward) so wherever makes the most sense based on your experience is what i'd be inclined to go with.

I will mention that I think one of the two largest towns in the map is in this general area, not sure whether that should be an influence on where we choose or not.

Yeah, I picked your location cause it's sorta central and most people could make it there most easily, as opposed to picking my location, way out East wher most people might have some thing like 20 hours of walking to do.

Looking at your quadrant, I'm thinking it could be an idea to go down one, to (6, 1), just about smack in the middle. There are four big towns all starting with "Eagles" that could make us nervous, in case they decide to screw around. There's almost nobody in (6, 1), look at the attached map...

Right in the middle of that quadrant couple be a quiet spot for us to build our town(s). Whatcha all think?

FM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg map.jpg (72.4 KB, 58 views)
Old 04-13-2009, 01:04 AM   #199
dbd1963
High School JV

There's a pretty large town a bit NE of center, La Vie Boheme. It's got higher level characters and 42 folks in town right now. That looks like a potential difficulty if they decide they want to be pricks.

Also, what about claiming a ghost town? The money is the same, $300, but you get to keep the buildings that are already built. You can save some cash and labor for the second town that way, maybe. If that becomes a criterion, then of course we want to find a good spot with a ghost town and not too many other big towns around.

Last edited by dbd1963 : 04-13-2009 at 01:09 AM.
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:22 AM   #200
Danny
Head Coach

Haven't caught up in thread yet, but I hit level 9 this morning, but my character was mostly inactive all day as I went off roading and just got home.