Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-24-2009, 01:01 PM   #301
Icy
Pro Starter

Umm this is really tempting, lots of good games there that i never bought like the company of heroes series, warhammer series, titan quest series:

Package: THQ Complete Pack

THQ Complete Pack

Includes:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
Full Spectrum Warrior
Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers
Titan Quest
Titan Quest - Immortal Throne
Company of Heroes
Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts
Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Gold Edition
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade
Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War - Soulstorm, Frontlines™
WarhammerŽ 40,000™: Dawn of WarŽ II
Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights,
Saints Row 2
Red Faction Guerrilla
Red Faction
Red Faction II

Can you USA guys please let me know the price you have? i'm pretty sure Steam translates $1=1€ that is a ripoff for us Europeans. If the price is in $, i'll ask one of you to buy it as gift for me and i'll paypal you the amount in $ that you had to pay.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:10 PM   #302
Icy
Pro Starter

Ok it was fast, SirFozzie purchased it for me and i saved around $35 compared with me paying it in euros.

Thanks a lot mate!

Wow what a holidays i'm going to have, don't know with which one to start!

Last edited by Icy : 12-24-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:21 PM   #303
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Where is that? can't find it in steam.

Ubisoft WWII Collection - Age Verification

FM
Old 12-24-2009, 02:25 PM   #304
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
Been browsing the games and I'm tempted by Hinterland, anyone here has played this?

Also, seeing how there's a pack of three Tilted Mills games for $14.99, who knows anything about Children of the Nile and Mosby's Confederacy?

Thanks in advance.

FM

i was intrigued by Mosby's Confederacy, but didn't end up even ever DLing the demo or anything - the reviews I read were nothing special and it seemed like the game mechanics were a bit...simpler than what i was expecting (if i recall correctly)
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:42 PM   #305
PilotMan
Head Coach

This shit is like crack.

So today, I set my 14-yr old up with an account so that I can give him the Star Wars Jedi Pack for 10 bucks, then I added Freedom Force for him too, because that looked like fun and it will run on his old computer.

Then, I just couldn't resist FM 2010.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:59 PM   #306
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah- I considered Freedom Force, too, as I wanted to play that when it came out.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #307
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Steam seems to have buckled to a crawl, getting insanely slow downolad times...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #308
PilotMan
Head Coach

The Steam servers are getting killed right now. I have downloaded 32 GB since last night when I started. Damned Witcher is going to be done in a week at this rate. Only 36% done now.

Like Steam?

Old 12-24-2009, 06:08 PM   #309
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

so, is Arkham Asylum worth it? I just have a fear that it'll be like Assassin's Creed - really great concept, but tedious as the game progresses
Old 12-24-2009, 06:10 PM   #310
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
so, is Arkham Asylum worth it? I just have a fear that it'll be like Assassin's Creed - really great concept, but tedious as the game progresses

Batman: Arkham Asylum is one of the best games of the year. I agree that Assassin's Creed was a huge disappointment. The only thing is that if you have a 360 or PS3, I think Batman is more of a console game. My only other knock on the game is that I wish it was longer.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:40 PM   #311
Malificent
High School JV

Arkham Asylum was the best game of the year, hands down. It may be the best game of the last two years, honestly.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:43 PM   #312
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Great game actually but I have one issue with it. It relies too heavily on the frustratingly unbeatable boss formula as the game progresses.

It's fun playing with all of batman's toys which are made available to you. It's fun to use tactics and moves which you start to unlock to get through areas (most areas you have to isolate your targets strategically and use the tools which are available to you). Unless it's a group of unarmed, in most cases there you can pretty much go in and kick ass (which is fun too).

As 27 said, I see this as more of a console game as well. Not sure why, it just seems to play more like a console game (but I can't really define that to be honest, just the feel).
Old 12-24-2009, 06:46 PM   #313
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malificent View Post
Arkham Asylum was the best game of the year, hands down. It may be the best game of the last two years, honestly.

Uncharted 2 takes that honor. Though I am starting to move Dragon Age: Origins closer to the top.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #314
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Uncharted 2 takes that honor. Though I am starting to move Dragon Age: Origins closer to the top.

Uncharted 2 is a fantastic experience.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:01 PM   #315
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
So far I've bought GTA IV for $7.50. I'm really thinking about grabbing Evil Genius. It looks like a nice time waster though it sounds like it could get boring in parts. Anybody played it?

It's 2 bucks, and its one of my favorite games, played it through like four times, hit my Top 100 countdown, etc

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #316
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
It's 2 bucks, and its one of my favorite games, played it through like four times, hit my Top 100 countdown, etc

Yeah, I went ahead and jumped in on the deal. I figure I'll get at least $2 worth of fun out of it simply as a time waster.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:18 PM   #317
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I bought Arkham Asylum. Now really the one drawback of Steam - waiting to DL the damn thing. It'll be a couple of days at the rate this is going
Old 12-24-2009, 09:23 PM   #318
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I bought Arkham Asylum. Now really the one drawback of Steam - waiting to DL the damn thing. It'll be a couple of days at the rate this is going

Try switching your download location if it freezes up on you. You can do that under FILE/SETTINGS and then select the download tab. You'll have to restart, but that may speed things up especially if you switch time zones.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:31 PM   #319
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Try switching your download location if it freezes up on you. You can do that under FILE/SETTINGS and then select the download tab. You'll have to restart, but that may speed things up especially if you switch time zones.

yeah, played around with it a bit, but couldn't seem to get higher than 180 or so KB/s. now it's like 35, but I think that's because of all the traffic.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:35 PM   #320
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
yeah, played around with it a bit, but couldn't seem to get higher than 180 or so KB/s. now it's like 35, but I think that's because of all the traffic.

Keep it on overnight. I went through the same thing with GTA IV. Their servers are getting hit hard right now with all of the sales.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #321
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I am at 640k right now with The Witcher d/l

Old 12-24-2009, 10:45 PM   #322
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
I am at 640k right now with The Witcher d/l

I nearly bought Witcher...and still might. Debating it even though I have so many games already I haven't played.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:18 AM   #323
Malificent
High School JV

The Witcher is a fantastic game. If you like an RPG where the choices you have to make are not obvious, then the Witcher is your game. Choices you make will have long reaching effects way past the time you make them. This is something Dragon Age did well with too.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:18 AM   #324
Malificent
High School JV

Quote:

Dola. I don't have a PS3, so no Uncharted for me, although as Heavy Rain gets closer and closer, I get more and more tempted.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:36 AM   #325
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Keep it on overnight. I went through the same thing with GTA IV. Their servers are getting hit hard right now with all of the sales.

I did that with Medieval Total War II Wed. night and got up with the game stalled out at 71%. Got it going again after a few tries and went to work. Left work early, about 10:30 am and found after 3 hours it had made 86% and kept stalling.

Finally about 2:30 pm it came up 100%. Hit launch and play on the splash screen and error popped up and game wouldn't open. Went to Steam forum to find the launcher is screwed up, work around is to rename "MW2.exe" to "launcher.exe", simple enough but of course does not work.

Continue to look for answers on their forum and start to think I'm screwed but at least it was only $4.99. Close out firefox, which was covering my Steam screen, and see that Steam is downloading an update for MTW2 and the game will be ready in 1 hour 20 minutes. After the update I was finally playing the game at 4:30pm

Normal day with Steam I think I'd have been up and running with the whole package in less than an hour. Christmas rush, about 18 hours

Quote:

Didn't know about the "switch location" trick. Will certainly try that next time, thanks.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:19 PM   #326
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Children of the nile is pretty fun if you are into Caesar city building games. It came after Caesar so they fixed some things and added more stuff. Think on a Tropico based in the old Egypt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
i was intrigued by Mosby's Confederacy, but didn't end up even ever DLing the demo or anything - the reviews I read were nothing special and it seemed like the game mechanics were a bit...simpler than what i was expecting (if i recall correctly)

thanks for the input guys. Yeah, Hinterland was the one I was most interested in, but I also thought that Children of the Nile looked intersting. I read some reviews about Mosby's Confederacy and finally convinced myself it looked interesting enough to spring for the Tilted Mills pack at $14.99.

Other than those three (well four the sequel to the original Children of the Nile is also in there) I bought the following games:
Evil Genius
Freedom Force pack (installed the first game and yay, it works on my computer!)
Audiosurf
Ghost Master (for a buck, and reading the reviews, it looked goofy and funny enough for me to try out)
Zombie Shooter (kinda RPG shooter thing, looked silly enough for me to spend some time with)

All of that for 27.98, hard to beat.

Speaking of Audiosurf, tried it out with two very different songs, Metallica's Master of Puppets and Live's Lightning Crashes. Wow, fun both ways and the Lightning Crashes worked its way up, it spiked like crazy. Them bricks kept on coming like crazy...

I also installed the demo for Dark Messiah Might and Magic. Will fool around with it a bit and might get it too. My video card kinda sucks though and it kept me from even trying to get one of the STALKER games...

FM
Old 12-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #327
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Speaking of Audiosurf, tried it out with two very different songs, Metallica's Master of Puppets and Live's Lightning Crashes. Wow, fun both ways and the Lightning Crashes worked its way up, it spiked like crazy. Them bricks kept on coming like crazy...

this game is awesome I even placed first on a couple leader boards with more obscure music that apparently no one has tried before

Haven´t even touched the more sophisticated game modes, only the "mono" one for casual and pro.

That´ll be one of the more fun ways to have a first-listen to music from now on

Tried out Mirror´s edge, very nice concept and really works as advertised as you get immersed into your character and the attempt at reaching a "flow". Will try it more thorough once i´m back home and have a gamepad available.
Not much of a PC gamer, so my hand coordination using keyboard and mouse leaves a lot to be desired...
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 01:21 PM   #328
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
I did that with Medieval Total War II Wed. night and got up with the game stalled out at 71%. Got it going again after a few tries and went to work. Left work early, about 10:30 am and found after 3 hours it had made 86% and kept stalling.

Didn't know about the "switch location" trick. Will certainly try that next time, thanks.

I'm thinking about either Rome or Medieval Total War 2 as well. I have the original Total War, but never really got into the actual battles simply because I just didn't have the patience to learn everything needed to win. The sad thing is that I love watching the recorded battles on youtube, etc. If you don't do the battles are either Rome or Medieval 2 worth it in your opinion? Or would I be better off getting something similar to Europa Universalis?

I had not heard of the location trick either until I read it on the forums. I had the same problems you had where it would pause for a couple of hours. I did a few switches which may have helped...I don't know.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:22 PM   #329
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I've played - and enjoyed - both Rome and TW2 and don't play the battles.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #330
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I'm thinking about either Rome or Medieval Total War 2 as well. I have the original Total War, but never really got into the actual battles simply because I just didn't have the patience to learn everything needed to win. The sad thing is that I love watching the recorded battles on youtube, etc. If you don't do the battles are either Rome or Medieval 2 worth it in your opinion? Or would I be better off getting something similar to Europa Universalis?

I had not heard of the location trick either until I read it on the forums. I had the same problems you had where it would pause for a couple of hours. I did a few switches which may have helped...I don't know.

I don't think I'd enjoy the game if I didn't do the battles. Having said that I'm the kind of guy that plays every inning of every game in OOTP, watch the full 90 minutes of games in FM, and don't simulate any games while playing NBA2k or The Show. I have to be involved to enjoy the games.

I tried the demo of Europa and it didn't look like something I would enjoy. With the high regard the Civ series gets here I do need to take the time to try the demo. If I like it I'll probably give it a go the next time that Steam has a Civ sale.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 04:56 PM   #331
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
thanks for the input guys. Yeah, Hinterland was the one I was most interested in, but I also thought that Children of the Nile looked intersting. I read some reviews about Mosby's Confederacy and finally convinced myself it looked interesting enough to spring for the Tilted Mills pack at $14.99.

Other than those three (well four the sequel to the original Children of the Nile is also in there) I bought the following games:
Evil Genius
Freedom Force pack (installed the first game and yay, it works on my computer!)
Audiosurf
Ghost Master (for a buck, and reading the reviews, it looked goofy and funny enough for me to try out)
Zombie Shooter (kinda RPG shooter thing, looked silly enough for me to spend some time with)

All of that for 27.98, hard to beat.

I also installed the demo for Dark Messiah Might and Magic. Will fool around with it a bit and might get it too. My video card kinda sucks though and it kept me from even trying to get one of the STALKER games...

FM

Try Audiosurf with Nine Inch Nails. Damn, that's nasty.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:36 PM   #332
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Thanks for the info Draft Dodger. Is there anything in particular you really enjoyed about Rome/MW2? I remember playing the first TW and not really enjoying it without the battles. I'm guessing they've improved the other areas of play?

I'll probably hold off for now. I like Sweed's suggestion of trying Civ 4 complete when it's on sale again. I did enjoy Civ 3. Plus I'm still leaning towards getting the Witcher before it goes off sale. Ugh...way too many good deals going on right now.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:45 PM   #333
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
I don't think I'd enjoy the game if I didn't do the battles. Having said that I'm the kind of guy that plays every inning of every game in OOTP, watch the full 90 minutes of games in FM, and don't simulate any games while playing NBA2k or The Show. I have to be involved to enjoy the games.
I'm with you on playing every inning of OOTP or all games of NBA2K or The Show, but watching the full 90 minutes of a game in FM? You, sir, need to take some vitamins or something.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:48 PM   #334
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

I skipped over Rome, but Medieval 2 and Empire I only play a few key battles here and there and still enjoy the game thoroughly.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 06:04 PM   #335
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

never really got Audiosurf. I've heard raves, so I'm sure I'm missing something.

already bought Arkhanam. Thinking about Torchlight and The Witcher as well.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:06 PM   #336
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Thanks for the info Draft Dodger. Is there anything in particular you really enjoyed about Rome/MW2? I remember playing the first TW and not really enjoying it without the battles. I'm guessing they've improved the other areas of play?

those are the only two I've played. I found them entertaining enough without the battles (I can't even imagine finishing a campaign playing through all the battles), but I can see where it would be kind of tedious
Old 12-25-2009, 08:04 PM   #337
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i play selected battles in RTW and MTW
Old 12-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #338
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

I dunno.

Way I look at it is, if there is an outstanding original IP and an outstanding sequel, I'm more willing to give my GOTY vote to the original IP.

The sequel has a base on which to build, which doesn't detract from it so much as it makes the quality of the original IP, which doesn't have that foundation, so much more impressive.

Arkham Asylum is my Game of the Year, and that isn't to take anything away from Uncharted 2.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:06 PM   #339
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I dunno.

Way I look at it is, if there is an outstanding original IP and an outstanding sequel, I'm more willing to give my GOTY vote to the original IP.

The sequel has a base on which to build, which doesn't detract from it so much as it makes the quality of the original IP, which doesn't have that foundation, so much more impressive.

Arkham Asylum is my Game of the Year, and that isn't to take anything away from Uncharted 2.

Granted this is just opinion and if you like Arkham Asylum more that is your perogative but here is my take on that sentiment:

If the sequel is better than the other game in question it has to go to the sequel. It's not about who "did more" to get there with the game, it's about which game is better.

Arkham Asylum wouldn't even be second in my opinion, Dragon Age gets that nod.

Not to take anything away from Arkham Asylum but after the midway point of the game it starts to become a game where you are just waiting for it to end. Uncharted 2 is a game where once you start to realize you are near the end you hope that there is a twist and the game continues as it has you hooked to that high of a degree. Dragon Ages seems opposite of Arkham Asylum to me, the start had me wondering if it was worth the hype but as the game progressed I began to get into it more.

If I compare the games to music I would see them this way:

Uncharted 2 - Classic anthem song that defines a genre (one you could listen to forever) sung by a group that has been there before and done that before but this time even better

Arkham Asylum - Song from a new group that you LOVE when you first hear it and want to hear nothing else for the first few weeks but soon you start to wonder what you saw in that song and it ends up at the back of your playlist only to be turned to once in a while for nostalgia when you haven't heard it for a while

Dragon Age - Song that doesn't pull you in at first but after you (begrudgingly) hear it a few times you start to really like it
Old 12-25-2009, 09:08 PM   #340
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

dola: Wife gave me Modern Warfare 2 for Christmas so my list may change sometime in the near future...
Old 12-25-2009, 09:12 PM   #341
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
dola: Wife gave me Modern Warfare 2 for Christmas so my list may change sometime in the near future...

Yeah.. I've been taking it slowly (solo play) because I do not want the ride to end.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #342
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Yeah.. I've been taking it slowly (solo play) because I do not want the ride to end.

yeah, took me 7 hours to finish it. Great ride, but way too short
Old 12-26-2009, 10:05 AM   #343
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
yeah, took me 7 hours to finish it. Great ride, but way too short

Just like the last one.. but a thrill ride nonetheless!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:36 AM   #344
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

What difficulty were you playing Modern Warfare on?
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #345
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

for anybody who didn't think Torchlight at $9.99 was not enough of a good deal, it's a $4.99 today only over on Steam. It's a lot of clean fun.

FM
Old 12-26-2009, 11:15 AM   #346
dwardzala
H.S. Freshman Team

Dragon Age is also on sale 25% off ($37.49) for the next 23.5 hours or so.
dwardzala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:19 AM   #347
PilotMan
Head Coach

Today's specials include:

Torchlight - 4.99
Prototype - 19.99
Star Wars Premium Pack - 24.99
Lumines + Expansion - 2.99
Dragon Age Deluxe Ed. - 48.74
Universe at War Earth Assault - 4.99
Dragon Age - 37.49

Surprised to see both Dragon Age's on there, plus the Star Wars pack has like 10 games. Torchlight has to be a must buy at that price.

Like Steam?

Old 12-26-2009, 12:06 PM   #348
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

got the star wars pack - it is indeed like 10 games...and at 24.99 i figured that's a pretty damn good value
Old 12-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #349
gstelmack
Pro Starter

For the flight-sim junkies, Thirdwire has a Strike Fighters 2 Collection pack available through December 28 for $50. Basically all four Strike Fighters 2 games for $30 off. They also have a free downloader that is a combined installer for those who bought the 4 individually.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:40 PM   #350
Icy
Pro Starter

Wow i can't believe i never bought Company of Heroes before. It's a really really fun WWII based RTS/Tactical game, after playing it a bit today, i want to watch Band Of Brothers tonight for like 10th time