Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #151
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Here is the class for Memphis next season:

Old 11-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #152
Swaggs
Coordinator

Did the NCAA do away with the rule where you could not sign more than 7 players over a two year period (which I always thought was kind of silly).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:33 PM   #153
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Yes. If not, they would have to make an exception for Memphis which got pillaged when X coach left.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:36 PM   #154
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Not a single token white guy. I'm so disappointed, Memphis.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:46 PM   #155
Groundhog
Coordinator

Hippolyte! What an awesome name.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:53 PM   #156
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Kentucky tied with Miami (OH) with 4 minutes left in the game.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:11 PM   #157
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

WOW! Miami buries the 3 with 6 seconds left to tie the game.

Edit: And then Wall makes the game winner at the buzzer! What a game!

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 11-16-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:14 PM   #158
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
Here is the class for Memphis next season:

Impressive class. I havent been following this thread so it was likely mentioned but the gophers 5 star recruit has been booted for stealing 3 times in a month. Must have some high moral character.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:20 AM   #159
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Pastner has done a great job in rebuilding the squad after Calipari left the cupboard a bit bare. Memphis may struggle a bit this year due to their lack of depth, but Pastner is definitely loading up on talent.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:39 AM   #160
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA is bad
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:03 AM   #161
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
UCLA is bad

Yup. It's going to be a long year.

This is the year when some of the awful recruiting decisions Howland has been making is going to come back and bite him.

This is why you still look at fallbacks and 3 star guys with upside when your 4-5 star targets fall through--because every team that has the stars to make a run, also has the sort of steady glue guys that stay all four years and mean everything to a program. Instead, UCLA recruits Jrue Holiday, who sucked and left after a year, and decided not to bring in any other guards worth a damn for three straight years. But, hey, we got tons of SFs!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:52 AM   #162
RedKingGold
College Starter

Always good to see 'Nova beat the snot out of one of the Philadelphia Big Five (even if it is Penn).
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:58 AM   #163
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Missouri State got a win over Auburn last night. Missouri Valley Conference fans have to be excited to see a win over a big conference team this early in the season. Those kinds of wins allow the conference to get a second or third team into the dance.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:31 AM   #164
JeeberD
General Manager

Woohoo, UTEP's ranked #1 in the nation!!!

NCAA College Basketball Polls - CBSSports.com

Gotta love early season RPI rankings...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:33 AM   #165
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Always good to see 'Nova beat the snot out of one of the Philadelphia Big Five (even if it is Penn).

Well thats not a huge deal since Penn State did beat Penn a few days ago.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:47 AM   #166
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Missouri State got a win over Auburn last night. Missouri Valley Conference fans have to be excited to see a win over a big conference team this early in the season. Those kinds of wins allow the conference to get a second or third team into the dance.

Generally yes, but Auburn appears to stink. They barely beat low major Niagara at home.

Kudos to Auburn for at least playing at Missouri St. That's the kind of game almost no BCS caliber team will touch.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #167
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Well thats not a huge deal since Penn State did beat Penn a few days ago.

I hope PSU gets in the tournament this year. They were really fun to watch in the NIT.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #168
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Woohoo, UTEP's ranked #1 in the nation!!!

NCAA College Basketball Polls - CBSSports.com

Gotta love early season RPI rankings...

Not so fast, my friend!

Code:
Rk. School W L RPI SOS Rank SOS 1 West Virginia 1 0 0.8750 1 0.8333 1 Texas-El Paso 1 0 0.8750 1 0.8333
Old 11-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #169
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Did the NCAA do away with the rule where you could not sign more than 7 players over a two year period (which I always thought was kind of silly).

Yes, the 5/8 rule is gone (Couldn't sign more than 5 in one year, 8 over two years).
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:11 PM   #170
Blade6119
Coordinator

I freaking love ESPN360...being able to watch Mizzou take on Tennessee-Martin live in high quality is amazing!
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #171
tarcone
Coordinator

A math problem.

What does a boring, low talent, losing team + small crowds equal?

Todd Lickliter losing his job.
Actually, Iowa doesnt fire coaches. We let the contracts run out and not re-hire the coach.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:21 PM   #172
Schmidty
Coordinator

I hate Gonzaga. They're giving me a heart-attack. I thought MSU would win semi-easily. They're one of the best unranked teams though.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #173
RainMaker
General Manager

DePaul is losing by 6 to Columbia in the 2nd half. There appears to be a few hundred people at the game. How pathetic can a program get where I'm hoping that they can bring in Isiah someday.

Nevermind, Big East Network had the scores reversed. They still don't look impressive at all against a bad team.

Last edited by RainMaker : 11-17-2009 at 09:28 PM.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #174
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Spartans are going to have to get better play from their bigs if they want to make a run this year.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:20 PM   #175
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Dola...

Whew!
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:23 PM   #176
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Wow Memphis scaring the crap out of Kansas. Memphis played well for so much inexperience in a tough situation like that. Kansas couldnt pull away.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:29 AM   #177
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I hate Gonzaga. They're giving me a heart-attack. I thought MSU would win semi-easily. They're one of the best unranked teams though.

could ýou or some other viewers give me some info on how Elias Harris (german freshman for Gonzaga) did beside the good numbers (17/9) ?
Did he primarily play at the 4 spot ? or substantial time at the 3 as well ?

I´m pretty surprised he´s immediately a 30 minute guy getting a ton of shots. Showed tons of promise with the national team this summer but still looked really raw offensively and has played in germany´s lower leagues afterall.

another german national team player (debuted this summer as well) playing college ball is Lucca Staiger (Iowa State) and he hit 10 3 pointers last night against Drake (out of 16 tries)
Was hoping he´d play a different role than just the 3 point guy (in the first 3 games, 30 of his 32 FGs are from behing the arc ...) as he looked like the future starting SG for our NT this summer and i´d have hoped he´d handle the ball more this season ...
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:05 AM   #178
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Wow Memphis scaring the crap out of Kansas. Memphis played well for so much inexperience in a tough situation like that. Kansas couldnt pull away.

That's the thing. I'm not sure that Memphis played all that well. There was some UGLY basketball on both ends of that court in that game. We'll just put a positive spin on it by saying it was a great defensive struggle.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:04 AM   #179
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

This article ties in to what's been discussed of late in this thread. Big mention of both Memphis and Mizzou's 2010 recruiting classes in this ESPN article..........

Basketball recruiting: The strength of Memphis' class was a major statement by first-year coach Josh Pastner - ESPN
Old 11-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #180
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Stan Heath in hot water over NCAA violations at South Florida........

Numerous NCAA Violations Surface at South Florida -- NCAA Basketball FanHouse
Old 11-19-2009, 02:30 PM   #181
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Sadly, there wasn't much defense played so it was just an overall struggle. Neither team played very well. A lot of unforced errors from both squads when players forced the pace when they probably shouldn't have. It's still early so you just hope both teams learn from it and improve. I liked what I saw out of Pastner though. He's got a solid squad if they can stay out of foul trouble because of their horrendous lack of depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
That's the thing. I'm not sure that Memphis played all that well. There was some UGLY basketball on both ends of that court in that game. We'll just put a positive spin on it by saying it was a great defensive struggle.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #182
Radii
Head Coach

UNC starts a really interesting 30 day stretch tonight against #15 Ohio State. Their next game will be against either #12 Cal or #24 Syracuse, and in December they play #2 Michigan State, #5 Kentucky, and #3 Texas.

I haven't been able to see them yet since I don't' get ESPNU. I think they're a legit top 15 team for sure but I am surprised to see them in the top 5 and doubt they will stay there, but it should be a fun season. I'm curious to see if Deon Thompson can be a consistent go-to guy, and hopeful that Larry Drew can develop into a reliable point guard.

Mostly though I'm looking forward to watching Ed Davis dominate the paint, the second Ty Lawson turned pro Davis became my favorite current Tar Heel.

Last edited by Radii : 11-19-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:33 PM   #183
Butter
Coordinator

Dayton with the big comeback win over Georgia Tech this afternoon in Puerto Rico. Villanova somehow comes back to beat George Mason, giving us a nice semifinal battle in PR tomorrow afternoon.

This is what the UD fan base was talking about all offseason, the potential 2nd round PR matchup with Villanova... now that it's here, hopefully UD can cash in the opportunity.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:50 PM   #184
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

The Longhorns have looked very good thus far. The Texas - UNC game should be a great test for UNC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
UNC starts a really interesting 30 day stretch tonight against #15 Ohio State. Their next game will be against either #12 Cal or #24 Syracuse, and in December they play #2 Michigan State, #5 Kentucky, and #3 Texas.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #185
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Dayton with the big comeback win over Georgia Tech this afternoon in Puerto Rico. Villanova somehow comes back to beat George Mason, giving us a nice semifinal battle in PR tomorrow afternoon.

This is what the UD fan base was talking about all offseason, the potential 2nd round PR matchup with Villanova... now that it's here, hopefully UD can cash in the opportunity.

I can't see Villanova being as good as people think they are with that frontcourt. I'm interested to see how they do against quality competition.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #186
SportsDino
College Prospect

Watching the Sparties in person on Sunday, hoping for another great year out of them. I think our interior is probably at its weakest, as much as I liked Suton, he really wasn't that highly touted, he just stepped up his game when it was his time to play. I think some of the new guys will have an impact though, Izzo couches em up well.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:11 PM   #187
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Do they still play basketball on the west coast because SU just bitchslapped Cal!
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #188
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
Do they still play basketball on the west coast because SU just bitchslapped Cal!

Shocking that a Pac 10 team is overrated going into this season.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #189
tarcone
Coordinator

Well Iowa is 0-2. It is going to be a long season.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #190
Swaggs
Coordinator

The Big East has still not lost a game this season. I thought that Syracuse-Cal game could do it, but all 16-teams are still undefeated.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #191
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
The Big East has still not lost a game this season. I thought that Syracuse-Cal game could do it, but all 16-teams are still undefeated.
Including teams whose toughest wins are against Columbia (Depaul) Loyola (West Virginia) Marist (Rutgers) Toledo (Cincinnati) Maryland-Eastern Shore/Centenary (Marquette) St. Peters (Seton Hall) St. Bonaventure (St. Johns) Hofstra (UConn) Long Beach St (Notre Dame) Eastern Kentucky (Pitt) and Mercer (Providence)

I mean, 35-0 looks impressive and I'll give credit to South Florida, but losing any one other than the Cal, George Mason and Temple games would have been the lead story on Sportscenter - and the latter two were 1 point wins over mid-pack CAA/A-10 teams. How's the Dayton is overrated and can't be better than any Big East team bandwagon coming? (EDIT - sorry, got people mixed up.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 11-19-2009 at 09:25 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #192
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

It didn't help that Cal was playing without Robertson, but this is a down year for the Pac-10, and I suspect Cal is overrated.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:16 PM   #193
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Including teams whose toughest wins are against Columbia (Depaul) Loyola (West Virginia) Marist (Rutgers) Toledo (Cincinnati) Maryland-Eastern Shore/Centenary (Marquette) St. Peters (Seton Hall) St. Bonaventure (St. Johns) Hofstra (UConn) Long Beach St (Notre Dame) Eastern Kentucky (Pitt) and Mercer (Providence)

I mean, 35-0 looks impressive and I'll give credit to South Florida, but losing any one other than the Cal, George Mason and Temple games would have been the lead story on Sportscenter - and the latter two were 1 point wins over mid-pack CAA/A-10 teams. How's the Dayton is overrated and can't be better than any Big East team bandwagon coming? (EDIT - sorry, got people mixed up.)

I'm not touting their resume or anything, but it is impressive (and more than likely just an anomaly), but with all of the upsets that happen at the beginning of the season (and throughout), the crappy teams at the bottom of the conference, and the handful of decent matchups out there, it is still hard to believe. I don't think it will amount to much by the end of the season, but it is newsworthy the longer that it goes on.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:20 PM   #194
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm not touting their resume or anything, but it is impressive (and more than likely just an anomaly), but with all of the upsets that happen at the beginning of the season (and throughout), the crappy teams at the bottom of the conference, and the handful of decent matchups out there, it is still hard to believe. I don't think it will amount to much by the end of the season, but it is newsworthy the longer that it goes on.

Hopefully it doesn't last past Friday evening when Syracuse plays UNC(barring a major comeback of course)
Old 11-19-2009, 10:48 PM   #195
Radii
Head Coach

Whew! UNC hangs on for the win in an ugly game. Thoughts on the game:

-- This is going to be a totally different Tar Heel team than in the last 4-5 years. Just tons of size. As long as Drew can be competent it should be lots of fun, but very different from the two title teams.

-- Marcus Ginyard being able to score is a real joy to see

-- Deon Thompson dribbles the ball WAY too much. This must be fixed.

-- Turnovers are a serious issue right now for this team. Presumably that will improve with experience.

Looking forward to Syracuse Friday. I love the non-conference schedule that UNC has this year. Lots of talent but little experience... hopefully all of the challenging opponents early in the year will help them be more ready by the time Duke and tournaments roll around on the schedule.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:18 AM   #196
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Ohio State's two biggest flaws were exposed, no true point guard and no size. Sometimes I can't stand to watch Evan Turner play, especially games like last night when he tries to force everything...the result 10 turnovers for him.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:43 AM   #197
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I can't see Villanova being as good as people think they are with that frontcourt. I'm interested to see how they do against quality competition.

It's still early, but I felt 'Nova was overrated coming into the season for that reason as well as Scottie Reynolds pretty much not being as good as people make him out to be.

Still, the Big East lacks a power team, and the 'Cats have enough firepower to win the regular season conference. Just like last year, then (where we had a light draw against #14 seed, overrated Duke/UCLA teams, and a #1 Pitt who we matched up very well against), it all depends on who we get to play in the tournament.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:05 AM   #198
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Man, but that Pitt-Nova game in the elite eight last year. Hoo, boy. I get chills even thinking about it. I hope we get another one like that this year.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:13 AM   #199
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Man, but that Pitt-Nova game in the elite eight last year. Hoo, boy. I get chills even thinking about it. I hope we get another one like that this year.

I was at a campus bar at 'Nova for that game. Let's just say that the atmosphere was electric and I was fortunate to get out alive.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:51 AM   #200
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

Every BCS conference has played mostly stiffs, and none of the others are undefeated.

The Pac-10 did not make it past the first game of the season, when their marquee team played a stiff at home.