Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #801
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Thanks! Really looking forward to diving in.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #802
Radii
Head Coach

:: Index
http://fbcb-fofc.com/league

I think it was mentioned a little while ago but now is the perfect time to join our MP league if anyone is interested, we're just starting a new season. We have ~25 coaches currently and have a fun low maintenance league.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #803
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

purchase made
Old 01-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #804
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I'm really having a lot of fun with the game. If I had anything close to a reasonable amount of discretionary gaming time (between my job and my 6-month old, I have very little, and not very predictable) I'd be all over joining a MP league, but given my time restraints I have to pass.

One of the things I'm really enjoying is the experience of deciding whether or not to take job offers - it's really an interesting exercise in role-playing. One suggesting for Brian for any future versions - it'd be cool if the job offers came with expectations from the AD so you know ahead of time what you'd be getting yourself into.

For example, right now I'm at San Diego State with a prestige rating of 57 and a pretty good roster coming back. I have a job offer from Michigan with a prestige rating of 68 and about $100K higher budget and also a pretty good roster. Given that the Big Ten (in my game universe) has about 8 teams with higher prestige level, if I took that job what would be the expectations - finish with a .500 or better conference record? Make the NCAA tournament? Compete for the conference championship? It would be helpful in deciding whether to make that jump to a new job to know whether the expectations are ones I can realistically achieve in my first 3 seasons...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #805
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'd like to see you be able to hire your assistants when you take a new job.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #806
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

where/when/how do I make a request from my AD?
Old 01-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #807
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Dunno, it's never happened to me. I got fired in my current career (after a huge rash of injuries crippled my critical 3rd year), and it was kind of odd - my hot seat during that 3rd season was "warm" with the AD warning me that the board was growing impatient. When I hit "end season", my hot seat switched to "hot", leading me to believe I was going to get 1 more year, but then when I entered the head coach hiring round, I was fired. Nowhere in that sequence did I see an option to appeal to the AD for more time/money/anything, and in general I haven't seen any way to appeal to the AD for a higher budget.

I'd be curious to know the answer to this also...
Old 01-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #808
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Dola - one other thing that was odd is after I was fired, no team hired me. I was fired from a prestige 48 job, and I figured that I'd at least get an offer from a very low prestige team in the teens or twenties so I could continue playing that career. When that didn't happen, I re-loaded the game from a prior save and re-did the season (sans crippling injuries, I was able to meet the AD's stated expectations and continue coaching).

I'm guessing the way Brian set up the game is that I could have forced my way into coaching another team? Or are there circumstances where you get fired and do get coaching offers elsewhere afterward?
Old 01-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #809
MrBug708
Head Coach

Time to take the plunge
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #810
chadritt
High School Varsity

Anyone have a recommendation of a good/affordable way to play this on a mac?
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #811
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

In this version, you do not get to make requests of the AD. They will from time to time give you money I believe if you've done a good job.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #812
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Doing a search now but can anyone give me a quick rundown on transferring my old dynasty to the new game?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #813
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Doing a search now but can anyone give me a quick rundown on transferring my old dynasty to the new game?

I believe it was as simple as copying your league folder from the 2003 location to the 2010 one. so if your league is named "MyLeague" in the old game you'd have a folder:

c:\program files\fast break college basketball 2003\leaguedata\MyLeague

you would just copy the entire MyLeague folder to:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\GDS\Fast Break College Basketball 2010\leaguedata\MyLeague

and it should just work as is.

EDIT: As long as you make sure you copy the old folder instead of move it you don't risk losing anything in case there's something else that has to be done that I forgot.

Last edited by Radii : 01-06-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #814
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

all you have to do is copy your old save to the new save location for 2010, then load it up
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #815
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Figured it was something like that, but I can't seem to find a leaguedata folder in the 2010 folder...
Old 01-06-2011, 10:11 AM   #816
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Figured it was something like that, but I can't seem to find a leaguedata folder in the 2010 folder...

It is moved to your profile, not the location under Program Files. Check c:\users\public\documents\GDS\Fast Break College Basketball 2010\leaguedata
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #817
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

"Runtime error 7"

"out of memory"

after copying then trying to load the league, ran game as admin.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #818
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

pm Heavyreign , hes really good at helping his customers, and there are a few errors once in a while. He usually gets you to send the log and league files and will try to create an exe for you that wont have the error.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #819
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Sigh, another Run-time error 75 path not found for me...

right after I finished a 21-11 season with a conference championship, of course I didn't save
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #820
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Are you guys getting that error when you run the game as Administrator? I haven't had any crashes since doing that and using the 2.0.7 update...
Old 01-07-2011, 02:21 AM   #821
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
"Runtime error 7"

"out of memory"

after copying then trying to load the league, ran game as admin.

I'd be happy to take a look at the save if you can send it to me or post it somewhere for me to download.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:23 AM   #822
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Sigh, another Run-time error 75 path not found for me...

right after I finished a 21-11 season with a conference championship, of course I didn't save

Also highly recommend http://www.fbbgames.com/FBCB2010v209.exe to anyone who has run into error 75.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #823
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Will try and do that.

A suggestion/ request for the next patch if possible. When you get the email updating the players on your watch list is it possible to put what school they are at now? I like putting guys on my list who I offered scholarships, but after a few classes forget where the ones that turned me down ended up.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #824
rowech
Pro Starter

So I've been playing the demo for the last hour. How do I purchase the game or do I have to download a completely different file after purchasing?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:55 PM   #825
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

You have to download the full version.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:30 AM   #826
rowech
Pro Starter

Will it install right over the demo or will I then have two copies of the game?
Old 01-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #827
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Does anyone have a file that automatically changes the names of the pre season tournaments, etc...?
Old 01-09-2011, 06:39 AM   #828
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Lathum, these are the files I used.
Attached Files
File Type: csv tourneys.csv (1.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: csv conf.csv (2.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: csv teams.csv (30.1 KB, 29 views)
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #829
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

thanks!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #830
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Will it install right over the demo or will I then have two copies of the game?

The default install folder is different but you can choose to install it the demo folder or you can uninstall the demo first. Either way any saves you have from the demo won't be affected.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #831
rowech
Pro Starter

Now that I'm fully addicted to this game...two things...

At the end of a month, the game freezes until I hit something like recruiting and then switch back to main hub. Is this normal?

Is there a way to prevent players from becoming ineligible or are you at their mercy?
Old 01-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #832
Izulde
Head Coach

Increase the Academics in training camp for guys with shitty academics to try and keep them eligible.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #833
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Increase the Academics in training camp for guys with shitty academics to try and keep them eligible.

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #834
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone have any insights on transfers? Is it possible to land a transfer that isn't listed as "interested" in your school?

Anyone have any insight on what factors influence transfers to have an interest in your school? I've yet to have a guy with anything higher than an "orange" potential rating express an interest in my school when I have a scholarship or scholarships available, and I'm pretty sure I've seen guys I've offered a transfer to pick instead schools with significantly lower prestige ratings...
Old 01-10-2011, 11:20 PM   #835
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Anyone have any insights on transfers? Is it possible to land a transfer that isn't listed as "interested" in your school?

Anyone have any insight on what factors influence transfers to have an interest in your school? I've yet to have a guy with anything higher than an "orange" potential rating express an interest in my school when I have a scholarship or scholarships available, and I'm pretty sure I've seen guys I've offered a transfer to pick instead schools with significantly lower prestige ratings...

Some transfers will be looking for the chance to play closer to home. Some will be looking for playing time. Most likely they will need to have the highest interest level to have a chance to end up at your school with a small chance at the second highest level.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:22 PM   #836
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Now that I'm fully addicted to this game...two things...

At the end of a month, the game freezes until I hit something like recruiting and then switch back to main hub. Is this normal?

Is there a way to prevent players from becoming ineligible or are you at their mercy?

So you hit the option to end the month and then do you get the progress popup? Is the main window just unresponsive when the popup goes away but you are able to click other menu options to make it work again? Is there any sort of graphical distortion or does it just seem like the window is disabled?
Old 01-10-2011, 11:49 PM   #837
Izulde
Head Coach

While you're here, HR, is there any possibility of being able to add conferences and preseason tournaments after the game starts? Being able to delete conferences would be cool, too, but adding conferences would be priority #1 for me, so I can continue my Zeroed Out dynasty.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:58 PM   #838
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign View Post
Some transfers will be looking for the chance to play closer to home. Some will be looking for playing time. Most likely they will need to have the highest interest level to have a chance to end up at your school with a small chance at the second highest level.
Thanks Brian. I'll take a closer look at the guys that express interest and see if I can detect any patterns. I suppose being at a school with higher than a 60 in prestige will probably expand my transfer options...
Old 01-11-2011, 12:03 AM   #839
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Thanks Brian. I'll take a closer look at the guys that express interest and see if I can detect any patterns. I suppose being at a school with higher than a 60 in prestige will probably expand my transfer options...

Just the reverse, if you're looking to get guys who want playing time. Think about real life. Where do a lot of transfers come from? Guys who are upset with lack of PT at high-level schools, so they transfer to lower prestige schools where they'll get a lot more playing time.

The other main source, as Brian models in FBCB, are guys who went away and now want to go home. I'm not sure where prestige fits into that, though.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #840
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Just the reverse, if you're looking to get guys who want playing time. Think about real life. Where do a lot of transfers come from? Guys who are upset with lack of PT at high-level schools, so they transfer to lower prestige schools where they'll get a lot more playing time.

The other main source, as Brian models in FBCB, are guys who went away and now want to go home. I'm not sure where prestige fits into that, though.
I dunno, seems like most of the guys I offer a transfer to end up at high prestige programs. I'll try to track this a little more closely, but there sure seems to be a lot of high-level programs that land transfers in the career I'm playing.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:54 AM   #841
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
While you're here, HR, is there any possibility of being able to add conferences and preseason tournaments after the game starts? Being able to delete conferences would be cool, too, but adding conferences would be priority #1 for me, so I can continue my Zeroed Out dynasty.

I'd say its not out of the question. I couldn't give you an eta or anything but its been requested before and I do see where it would be useful.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:03 AM   #842
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign View Post
So you hit the option to end the month and then do you get the progress popup? Is the main window just unresponsive when the popup goes away but you are able to click other menu options to make it work again? Is there any sort of graphical distortion or does it just seem like the window is disabled?

It would appear that I was just on a previous version. The version I got when I purchased was 2.0.1 and I downloaded the patch and no problems anymore. Kinda strange that one would purchase and not get the most up to date version of the game.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #843
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
It would appear that I was just on a previous version. The version I got when I purchased was 2.0.1 and I downloaded the patch and no problems anymore. Kinda strange that one would purchase and not get the most up to date version of the game.

Same for me, I decided on a whim to check the version I had.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #844
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This game certainly is harder than the previous version.

I've taken over my UW Huskies and run them into the ground Ty Willingham style.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #845
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
This game certainly is harder than the previous version.

I've taken over my UW Huskies and run them into the ground Ty Willingham style.

Yeah...I'm not good at this game.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #846
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm not sure what the story is, but Brian has been releasing the patches on his site rather than the Grey Dog site.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #847
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I dunno, seems like most of the guys I offer a transfer to end up at high prestige programs. I'll try to track this a little more closely, but there sure seems to be a lot of high-level programs that land transfers in the career I'm playing.
Following up on this - I got an offer from Wisconsin last night and took it (prestige = 85). Had a couple spots open, and finally had a guy interested in transferring to my school that had green future potential, but he picked Ohio State (prestige = 100) instead. I'll have to double-check the hometown for that player, but clearly in this case prestige was not working against the Buckeyes in landing him.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #848
rowech
Pro Starter

Just got fired for the second time as Indiana's coach. Just not getting better at this. Not sure if I'm just not going after prospects that I should be, not sure if I should be spending more time fine-tuning game plan, depth chart, etc. Not sure if I should be putting more weight to stats, rankings, scouts, etc. Not sure about whether it's important to send an asst. and head coacht o premier recruits. Lots of questions.

Haven't enjoyed failing at a game so much as I am this one.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #849
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Not sure about whether it's important to send an asst. and head coach to premier recruits. Lots of questions.

Haven't enjoyed failing at a game so much as I am this one.
I try to max out as much as possible on the guys I'm targeting, and ditch them quickly if I've offered them a scholarship and am still behind at least 2 schools - heck, even 1 school if it's clearly superior to me (although if I haven't offered a scholly yet I like to leave a player being offered by only 1 big-time school on my call list because from time to time that team switches away for no apparent reason and you're the only school left the kid has interest in). Maybe it's a bit gamey, but I usually enjoy building up a team rather than continuing a dynasty once I've built it to the top, so I don't have much experience with a good BCS school (closest I use is good old UMass). The foreigner route is also not as bad as it used to be, but often still easier to grab better players than your school deserves. It also might not hurt to start with more coaching points - I'm not suggesting you max out your guy, but if you're starting as a Level 0 coach at a BCS school you're behind the 8-ball already, especially because for me at least the first 3-4 years before I can start getting recruits in are the toughest.

Transfer-wise the only ones I have gotten were when I had UMass coming off a 2nd national title in 5 years and brought in 2 green bar potentials. I think I was coming off 4-5 players declaring for the draft (and must have been at least 2), which does bring up the minor annoyance of players no longer declaring in November, so even though you know stud #1 is going pro, you can't offer his scholarship until there's no one in the top 700 left on the board. I can see why Brian does it either way though, so I just work around it as best as possible.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 01-11-2011 at 07:31 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #850
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So if I go assistant visit, head coach visit, and campus visit all in the same recruiting period does that give me a better shot of landing the recruit?