Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-03-2014, 04:12 PM   #3051
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
you know what would be a cool feature? A coaching tree. Would be neat to see after 40 years of a dynasty how my coaching tree spread out.

Go to your coach's page and find the "Past Assistants" tab on the drop-down.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #3052
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Go to your coach's page and find the "Past Assistants" tab on the drop-down.

Yea, I agree with Lathum. The past assistants tab is nice but after enough years it can get pretty cumbersome to click through.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #3053
Groundhog
Coordinator

After a bit of a break, I'm back into this again, continuing my 'coach every game' dynasty that first begun in 2003 (real time). Think I'm going to need to make some tweaks to bring the scoring down a little, but otherwise having a blast. I missed these players!
Old 04-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #3054
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Plus the coaching tree/past assistants disappears when the main coach retires. It'd be nice to have it available elsewhere, but...it is there for a while, so i guess if one wants to record they could/should.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #3055
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Also I'd love to see FBCB3 allow us to induce transfers or force transfer a guy like we can force move a guy to the draft. Right now, transfers are almost always a pretty terrible lot of dudes, with some exceptions and contains far too many walkons (who almost never transfer) and usually lightly used players.

Here's some examples of real transfer studys:

The Transfer Study: A look into the commitment habits of 700 top players - College Basketball - Luke Winn - SI.com

Forget freshmen, transfers are the new prized recruits in college hoops - College Basketball - Pete Thamel - SI.com

Quote:
Call it free agency. Call it the waiver wire. Or even call it an epidemic. But don't dismiss it, as the model of building through transferring is here to stay. In the latest official data available from the NCAA, nearly 12 percent of players transferred in 2011-12.
Of the 1,039 Division I men's basketball freshmen to enroll in 2010, 412 of them have transferred or left their initial school. That's a 40-percent clip. While four-year transfers have increased less than three percent since 2004, the caliber of players readily available has overhauled the traditional recruiting model in college basketball.

Here's a list of available transfers for this coming year. Look at the types of dudes:

Eron Harris, Sean Obi, Ryan Anderson lead top available*transfers | One And One - SI.com
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:56 PM   #3056
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

If you set your league to play a conference tournament, but don't play any conference games the league won't actually play a conference tournament.

If you set all of your leagues to do this, but expect there to be conference champions given to the best record, it won't happen and the game will basically pick everyone as at-larges.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:05 PM   #3057
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Gonna leave this one here...
Attached Images
File Type: gif YOURNATIONALCHAMPIONS.gif (9.4 KB, 845 views)
Old 05-19-2014, 11:40 PM   #3058
britrock88
Pro Starter

That's a Blue Devil title I can live with.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:28 AM   #3059
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm guessing they were senior-laden? I haven't seen a #15 seed win, but I like how the increased early departures is making for an increase in cinderalls come tourney time.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #3060
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I'm guessing they were senior-laden? I haven't seen a #15 seed win, but I like how the increased early departures is making for an increase in cinderalls come tourney time.

Me too. I've seen a lot of this happening -- never a 15, that's insane -- but lots of George Mason, VCU type situations occurring.

4 seniors, 5 juniors on the squad. So yeah, pretty experienced.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-20-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:17 PM   #3061
Emmett13
Mascot

In FBCB if a player is called for an illegal screen, the other team gets to shoot free throws (if they have enough team fouls). This isn't the case in real life, right? It should just be a turnover.
Emmett13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:35 PM   #3062
nol
Banned

I think it is the case, and a charging foul is the only one that doesn't result in free throws if you're in the bonus.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:16 PM   #3063
Emmett13
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
I think it is the case, and a charging foul is the only one that doesn't result in free throws if you're in the bonus.

Maybe so, I just don't remember a sequence like that and I've watched a lot of college basketball.

I think one of the last few things statistically the game could be better at is having more guards and wings with more FTA. Right now it is always post players that lead the nation in free throw attempts, when that isn't the case in reality.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:05 AM   #3064
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Hey Brian, odd bug for you: My starting PF got injured for 100 days in game 5 and was eligible for a redshirt. I simmed to the next game on my schedule, then went to my roster screen and redshirted him. Then I moved a bench guy up to fill his PF spot for that game. In that game, I noticed my new PF only played 1 minute with no stats, and there was no injury e-mail after the game for him. OK, maybe he had something that knocked him out of that game I thought. I simmed to the next game, played it and this time I didn't even have a starting PF listed - that guy simply didn't play at all. OK, now I know something weird is going on. I shuffled positions around, and then saved, closed and re-started the game, thinking it needed something to refresh the game. Played the next game and once again, my PF played just 1 minute with no stats, and no injury e-mail. This time I decided to go back to the depth chart and click the "recommend" button to see if that would solve it, and thankfully it did.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:08 AM   #3065
GoBlue2419
High School JV

Is it possible to edit the high school .dat file? I'm looking to do a fictional dynasty and want to add a few fictional high schools.
GoBlue2419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:40 PM   #3066
Jukeman
Mascot

Is there a new version of FBCB in the works? I'm thinking about getting the game but I don't want to buy it and then a new version comes out less than a year later especially with that steep price tag.

I've been playing the DDS game but it's not living up to it's potential so Im in the market for a new basketball text sim (college & Pro)

This game seem more edit friendly and it looks easy enough to create real players which I am interested in doing but if another game is in the works I may as well wait for that to start a real world mod...
Jukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #3067
Jukeman
Mascot

Decided to go ahead and get the game..

Am I not able to make edits during a save? Every time I attempt to edit current league I get a crash.

Wings and PG's seem to love jersey numbers in the 50's..Been trying to edit those.

Does anyone know if AI coaches recruit to their coaching style? Like if a coach prefer the outside game would he prefer recruits who can shoot over guys who can't. I ask because I eventually plan on doing a coaching file with correct coaching styles for all coaching staffs. I did something similar for CH2k8 awhile back.

Last edited by Jukeman : 08-14-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #3068
Emmett13
Mascot

Quote:

After watching some college basketball, I can definitively say that there are no free throws awarded on an illegal screen. I just lost a game in FBCB when I was tied with like 20 seconds to go and had the ball, and my team set an illegal screen and the other team got to shoot two free throws.

It would be nice if this could be fixed, or if there were a file we could edit.

I've said it before, but I have played this game far more than any other game in my life. I've thought about how great a FM level production college basketball game could be. But, if one fella can put together a game I like this much, I wonder if it is probably better for me if that game never exists.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:16 PM   #3069
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Questions for Brian (or anyone else that knows): I upgraded to a new laptop recently that's Win8.1. Is there anything I need to know about running FBCB 2 on Win8 (assuming that it's possible), and what will I need to do to transfer licenses? I know you get 2 licenses, but I won't have any need to keep the old laptop licensed so I'd rather transfer it and save the 2nd license...
Old 12-29-2014, 03:29 PM   #3070
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Questions for Brian (or anyone else that knows): I upgraded to a new laptop recently that's Win8.1. Is there anything I need to know about running FBCB 2 on Win8 (assuming that it's possible), and what will I need to do to transfer licenses? I know you get 2 licenses, but I won't have any need to keep the old laptop licensed so I'd rather transfer it and save the 2nd license...

I have it running fine on Win 8.1. If you still have the current laptop, you can add -unlicense to the shortcut command, and that should free up the license to be used again.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:42 PM   #3071
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett13 View Post
After watching some college basketball, I can definitively say that there are no free throws awarded on an illegal screen. I just lost a game in FBCB when I was tied with like 20 seconds to go and had the ball, and my team set an illegal screen and the other team got to shoot two free throws.

Fair enough. Seems like this was looked into before but might have been something else. Team control foul should not be free throws as far as I can see.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:43 PM   #3072
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I have it running fine on Win 8.1. If you still have the current laptop, you can add -unlicense to the shortcut command, and that should free up the license to be used again.

Exactly this. Just return the license and then request it on the new laptop.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:01 PM   #3073
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks guys. I had the spare one which I used on the new install, but I'm glad I could free up the old one just in case.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:39 PM   #3074
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Hey Brian, I'm getting a Run-time error '62' - Input past end of file error that crashes the game on startup. I'm running it on Win8.1 as an administrator. It's version 2.4.

I'm pretty sure I had launched the game successfully when I initially installed it, but I'm not 100% sure. I copied over the teams.csv, conferences.csv and tournaments.csv from my old computer that I'd been using, so that's the only thing that would have changed. Any ideas?
Old 01-19-2015, 03:55 PM   #3075
whomario
Pro Starter

I am having the weirdest team right now. Am a perennial Final 4 team at California but still love the seasons where i need to actually tinker with lineups and utilize weird players. Currently i have:

- a 7 footer who averages just 4 PPG in 33 minutes. Why does he play 33 minutes ? Because he gives me 11 rebounds, 3.7 BPG and 3,8 APG. As a junior he averaged 4 APG in 22 MPG coming off the bench as the backup SF/PF, now playing C/PF exclusively.

- a 6´4 sophomore averaging 16 PPG in 22 MPG and shoots nearly 50% from deep, who can not stay on the field due to foul trouble and conditioning issues.

- a 7 foot true center with major conditioning issues, to the point that i can´t start him and instead start a walkon PF whome i play for 5-6 minutes each half and who now leads my team in +- per 30 minutes.

- a freshman PG averaging 14/5/5 who has A potential as a rebounder and already plays some SF for me now.

then a bunch of one-trick ponies (a great scorer with no defense and little efficiency, a 5´11 scoring guard, an elite wing defender who can not score)

have a core rotation but also tinker with lineups on a game-by-game basis and especially at the end of games will try different stuff. This game is still super fun.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:11 PM   #3076
Groundhog
Coordinator

I find that's the best part about becoming a high-prestige team - the temptation to recruit high-rated players who don't necessarily fit the mould of guys you usually go after. It led me to some rough seasons, but now the best guy on my squad is usually a junior/senior who I never really expected a great deal out of, excels at no one thing, and does a little bit of everything.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:20 PM   #3077
britrock88
Pro Starter

Okay, folks... I've played a handful of seasons with this, so I think it's bug free...

Here's a 2014-15 set of CSVs! Key features:
- updated prestiges based on 10-year average Pythagorean rating
- conference tournament schedules and formats updated (bear in mind APR bans will lead to a few discrepancies)
- preseason tourneys totally revamped and updated

Unzip this file into C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\GDS\Fast Break College Basketball 2010\defaultleagues. You should see a "2015" folder with "conf," "teams," and "tourneys" CSVs inside.

Let me know if you have any issues!

2015.zip
Old 02-12-2015, 08:22 AM   #3078
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Okay, folks... I've played a handful of seasons with this, so I think it's bug free...

- conference tournament schedules and formats updated (bear in mind APR bans will lead to a few discrepancies)

Unzip this file into C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\GDS\Fast Break College Basketball 2010\defaultleagues. You should see a "2015" folder with "conf," "teams," and "tourneys" CSVs inside.

Attachment 5448

Thanks, I'll check it out...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:00 PM   #3079
Icy
Pro Starter

Avesome thanks!

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:18 PM   #3080
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Attachment 5448

Thank you! Can't wait to try it out.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:50 PM   #3081
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Anyone have their top 6 guys leave after winning a title (only one was a senior).

C Eloy Roland enters the draft as a junior after winning PAC-12 POY

PF Caleb Ludwig enters the draft as a junior... Okay so we lose 2...

SF Joshua Cabe enters the draft as junior... well at least I have my guards.

SG Matthieu enters the draft as a sophmore... you gotta be kidding me, at least I have Newsom

PG Brian Dihn is a senior and has graduated... my starting 5 is gone?!?!

6th man Warren Newsom enters the draft as a Frehman...

We have 6 guards and 2 PFs on the roster for next season now(after recruiting). We will not be defending our title. I blame Britrock as it's his league lol.

Southern California Trojans
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:08 PM   #3082
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yep, my Northwestern State squad was ravaged by early declarations following our last title. My starting PG and SF were seniors, but my starting C and PF (freshman and sophomore), top backup guard (freshman) and backup PF/C (sophomore) all declared early. Now I've got a walk on as my primary backup PF/C and we rely on a steaky sophomore combo guard, who was never expected to be a main rotation guy, for most of our offense. And of my current 4 freshmen I expect 3 to declare following this season.

I'm enjoying the added difficulty to be honest, but I think I'm going to look to target guys ranked in the 100-200 region each season to top out my classes, as they will hopefully be around 3-4 years and will probably end up the top player on a young squad.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:28 PM   #3083
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I'm enjoying the added difficulty to be honest, but I think I'm going to look to target guys ranked in the 100-200 region each season to top out my classes, as they will hopefully be around 3-4 years and will probably end up the top player on a young squad.

Think I have 7 scholarships to hand out this next year (I carried one over because I thought my roster was stacked). I might have 8 scholarships because I just noticed one guy is unhappy. Looks like the chances of going 5 out of 6 final fours is way out of reach if we get that thin.

I think I'm still aiming like always that if you aren't top 50 you aren't getting an offer from us.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:20 AM   #3084
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:

Attachment 5448

Thanks again for putting this together--the updated preseason tournaments make the game feel even more realistic...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:31 AM   #3085
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Yes, thanks again. I am really enjoying this setup. I am in the middle of one of the most fun careers I have ever played. (St Mary's - wanted to win a title as a mid-major. Made 2 final 4s but couldn't close the deal, made one run as the 15 seed. Had the RPI and resume of a 4 or 5 seed, but lost 8 overtime games and a couple 1 pointers to give me a 16-15 record. Won the conference tournament and placed as a 15 seed).

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:39 PM   #3086
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Awesome that you shared this. Will have to check it out.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:42 PM   #3087
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

This reminds me - I need to share out my latest logo pack. I'll contact Groundhog and see if he wants to host them at his website...
Old 03-01-2015, 09:39 PM   #3088
Emmett13
Mascot

Sure would like to have the illegal screen thing fixed. Lost another game due to it.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:58 AM   #3089
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign View Post
Fair enough. Seems like this was looked into before but might have been something else. Team control foul should not be free throws as far as I can see.

Right. I'm not sure if the defense gets free throws for all off-ball fouls or just for loose ball-type fouls on the offensive end of the floor...
Old 03-02-2015, 10:07 AM   #3090
britrock88
Pro Starter

Just took a gander at the rule book. There are no FTs awarded for player- or team-control fouls. So, essentially, when a team controls the ball on offense, any foul it commits merely results in change of possession.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:44 PM   #3091
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett13 View Post
Sure would like to have the illegal screen thing fixed. Lost another game due to it.

I actually have a build with that fixed if the server issues on the site that you can grab once the server issues are resolved.

http://www.fbbgames.com/FBCB2010v245.exe
Old 03-06-2015, 12:39 PM   #3092
Jukeman
Mascot

FBCB2 discussion: Full version now available

Nevermind. Had to re-install

Last edited by Jukeman : 03-06-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:21 AM   #3093
Emmett13
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign View Post
I actually have a build with that fixed if the server issues on the site that you can grab once the server issues are resolved.

http://www.fbbgames.com/FBCB2010v245.exe

You're the coolest!

One of the few things still a little off with the game, I think, is how the non-con scheduling works. For one, there are no neutral games. There are a lot of one-off neutral non-conference games these days. I'd say most power conference schools play at least one non-conference (non-tournament) game at a neutral site. And I even think semi-home/semi-away neutral sites would be cool. For instance, Kansas and Duke playing a non-conference game in Kansas City one year and in Raleigh the next.

The other is that power schools are too often travelling to play road games at schools they shouldn't. A 100 prestige Texas would never go on the road to play at 14 prestige Abilene Christian, let alone in the same season they also visit Howard and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.

Some SWAC, MEAC, other 1 prestige conference schools should have literally zero home non-conference games. And many lower conference schools should only have 1 or 2 max.

Last edited by Emmett13 : 03-08-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:03 PM   #3094
Izulde
Head Coach

I thought when you got redshirted, you couldn't play. Yet, there's a guy who redshirted last season who actually played in 6 games while being redshirted.

If it was because of injuries/suspensions that he had to play, fine, but then he should be considered a sophomore next season, not a RS FR, no?

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:18 PM   #3095
nol
Banned

If a player appears in less than a certain percentage of a team's games before being injured, he's eligible to redshirt and have that season not count.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:49 PM   #3096
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
If a player appears in less than a certain percentage of a team's games before being injured, he's eligible to redshirt and have that season not count.

Yeah, you can get a medical redshirt if you play less than 30% of the season and miss the rest due to injury (that's not precise, but close enough).
Old 03-08-2015, 09:24 PM   #3097
Izulde
Head Coach

Thanks, guys.

One other question: Where do the draft output files go when they're generated?

Old 03-09-2015, 11:20 AM   #3098
britrock88
Pro Starter

My filepath would be C:\Users\Public\Documents\GDS\Fast Break College Basketball 2010\leaguedata\leaguename\draftfiles.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:32 PM   #3099
Izulde
Head Coach

Thanks. I figured it was something like that, but I was looking in the wrong user path. Not Public, but the other one.

I see them now.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:48 AM   #3100
Comey
College Starter

I played out a season using Britrock's 1974 setup, and saw UCLA went undefeated to win the national title. That's not terribly notable.

What is, however, is what their PG, Claude O'Neil did in the title game. He averaged 13.5 points and nearly five assists a game over the season. In the title game, he shot 20-23 from the field, and went for 51 in a 112-72 victory over Marquette.

The game also saw 16-seed St. Bonaventure beat top-seeded UNC, en route to the Sweet 16.

My goodness, I can't wait for Sunday.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote