Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #301
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

What's Manuel Almunia doing in goal for United?
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #302
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

What a fucking sexy goal. Just an awesome series of 7-8 flicks and passes before that finish.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #303
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

That was a fun game. Meaningless but fun.

Cleverly and Welbeck impressed me. They might get a lot of playing time this season.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #304
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Nice kick in the ass to get the blood pumping.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #305
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
That was a fun game. Meaningless but fun.

Cleverly and Welbeck impressed me. They might get a lot of playing time this season.

Agreed and Smalling also had some good moments, I expect to see him with increased minutes this season as well. Great match to kick off the EPL, couldn't have been a better pairing than Man U and City and Nani always seems to have huge games when they meet.

A little worried about Man U's Keeper though, he looked really shaky at times.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #306
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

On the first goal, maybe de Gea should have came out for it. But Silva put in a great ball and Ferdinand was beaten badly by Lescott.

The second one looked really bad at first but Dzeko hit it hard with no spin, de Gea couldn't have anticipated that swerve down to his right which happened only a few yards from him. And the defenders gave Dzeko a ton of space to shoot. I'm not saying it'd be asking too much for him to have gotten hand on that, just that the defenders deserve some blame too.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #307
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The awesome goal:

szólj hozzá: ManC 2-2 ManU

Last edited by Big Fo : 08-07-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #308
whomario
Pro Starter

Yeah, that goal was awesome. Almost reminded me of Dortmund´s style of play

ManU has a really interesting group of young players growing into bigger roles, Cleverly was great in particular. Welbeck i´m not sure where he´d play/be effective, seems to lack some technique for the wing and strength to play up front, doesn´t he ?

What´s the deal with Berbatov, done for good at ManU ? Also was Hernandez still being rested due to the NT games over the summer ?

Bayern just lost at home to Gladbach
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #309
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I miss Fox Soccer Plus (I have to get home to set it up again, since the account switched over)

I was going to watch the games via ESPN3, but the hotel's internet sucks.. so I'm watching ESPN Deportes, caught the two Bundesliga games and now a tape delayed PSV-AZ game (in which Jozy Altidore scores in his debut for AZ)
Old 08-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #310
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Welbeck is a striker but he is able to play a bit on the wings. He's quick and pretty good in the air for a skinny kid who is not that tall. I think he's probably a little stronger than Hernandez actually and lack of strength doesn't affect Hernandez too much. Speed and shooting are his main strengths right now, he's maybe a bit better in the build-up play than Chicho (who although he is a great poacher isn't that good at anything else) but not as good in the box. I liked how he tracked back today too, he was all over the place. He's going to have to play some on the wings with all the competition for places up front. I think he passes and dribbles well enough to do okay out there.

Yeah, Hernandez and Valenica got some extra time off after the summer tournaments.

Assuming he stays, Berbatov will start some games this year but not as many as Rooney or Hernandez. He tied for the league lead in goals last season but that included two hattricks and one match where he scored five. He's so inconsistent and misses some really easy looking ones and would go long stretches without scoring. SAF does not seem to have confidence in him for the more important/difficult games.

I'm not sure if the PSG rumors are true, if they really offer 20m+ Euros for him I bet Man Utd accept the bid.

Last edited by Big Fo : 08-07-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #311
whomario
Pro Starter

nice long "interview" with Klinsmann : *U.S. team*must develop more attack-based*style - Grant Wahl - SI.com

very transparent about some of the roster decicions, the difficulties attached with the shallow talent pool and other things, seems like he really goes out there to get information. Brutally honest assessments but that´s the only way you´ll have change. It is impossible to catch up with the big teams if the structure isn´t on the same level.
Hope he succeeds with the US, as long as he doesn´t beat Germany to often

Last edited by whomario : 08-08-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #312
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Real Madrid signs 7-year-old Argentine prospect - Soccer- NBC Sports

MADRID - Real Madrid has signed a 7-year-old soccer prodigy from Argentina who goes by the name Leo — just like Lionel Messi.

Leonel Angel Coira signed with the Spanish club and will begin training Sept. 6, Madrid spokesman Juan Tapiador told The Associated Press on Monday.

Coira told the Argentine sports daily Ole last week that his idol is Messi, the Barcelona forward who is also Argentine and goes by the name Leo. Coira said he prefers to pass rather than score. He already has a Facebook page featuring photos of his visit to Real Madrid.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #313
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, Hernandez and Valenica got some extra time off after the summer tournaments.
I thought Hernandez picked up a concussion and was out 2-3 weeks.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #314
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I thought Hernandez picked up a concussion and was out 2-3 weeks.
He did. Although SAF said he was going to give him a little extra time off since he played in the Gold Cup.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:03 PM   #315
Blade6119
Coordinator

And Valencia hurt his ankle in the Copa, so they both got injured/extended rest
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #316
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Real Madrid signs 7-year-old Argentine prospect - Soccer- NBC Sports

MADRID - Real Madrid has signed a 7-year-old soccer prodigy from Argentina who goes by the name Leo — just like Lionel Messi.

That's a pretty funny onion article, thanks for posting.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #317
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Oh Samiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Time to trade the red for blue.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 08-08-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #318
Ryan S
Quarterback

England v Netherlands game cancelled tomorrow thanks to the mindless underclass burning down London.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #319
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I hope the first round of EPL games still gets played this weekend.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #320
Ryan S
Quarterback

Probably too early to tell.

The safest games look like Stoke v Chelsea and Newcastle v Arsenal.

The other games are in or near to cities affected by violence, and depending on what happens over the next few days the police may not want to dedicate resources to policing large crowds at football games.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #321
whomario
Pro Starter

Can any of the MLS guys tell me how Torsten Frings (Toronto) and Frank Rost (New York) have looked so far ?

I don´t think the PL will play a couple games, won´t it be easier to schedule (later) if you either play all games or none ?

Can´t wait for the Germany-Brazil match tonight, hope Goetze finally gets his first start
Old 08-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #322
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
Probably too early to tell.

The safest games look like Stoke v Chelsea and Newcastle v Arsenal.

The other games are in or near to cities affected by violence, and depending on what happens over the next few days the police may not want to dedicate resources to policing large crowds at football games.
I couldn't care less about the friendly (seriously, an international friendly in the middle of the week right between the opening weekends of league play, FIFA, wtf!?), but postponement of league games sounds like the rioting could take another angle, no? Or are the riotees the same people as the average stadium visiting fans?

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 08-10-2011 at 10:06 AM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #323
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Looking forward to the USMNT game tonight. Be nice to see someone different on the touchline.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #324
Easy Mac

Looks like the MLS is moving from Fox Soccer to Versus (NBC Sports) next year. Interesting, as it means it will be on a channel that is generally wider in its availability. I know with Charter, I pay extra for FSC, but Versus is in the basic package (I also get Versus in HD, not so with FSC).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...l?sct=sc_t2_a3

Last edited by Easy Mac : 08-10-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #325
Easy Mac

Also, the ESPN games are still safe.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:15 PM   #326
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
(I also get Versus in HD, not so with FSC).

This is how it is for me as well, so this is nice.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #327
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Looks like the MLS is moving from Fox Soccer to Versus (NBC Sports) next year. Interesting, as it means it will be on a channel that is generally wider in its availability. I know with Charter, I pay extra for FSC, but Versus is in the basic package (I also get Versus in HD, not so with FSC).

MLS games to air on NBC networks starting in 2012 - Soccer - SI.com
This is good news. I get FSC but it's not in HD and I rarely venture down to those channels. I'll definitely watch more if it's on Versus as it's right next to ESPN on my lineup. I really hope they give it a lot of attention like they do hockey. That network could turn into a real nice channel with some loyal fanbases.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #328
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
This is good news. I get FSC but it's not in HD and I rarely venture down to those channels. I'll definitely watch more if it's on Versus as it's right next to ESPN on my lineup. I really hope they give it a lot of attention like they do hockey. That network could turn into a real nice channel with some loyal fanbases.

They're also showing some games (I believe 2 regular seasons and 2 playoff) on NBC. I think this is a great move by MLS, as FSC was merely a means for existing fans to find the league, not a way to draw in new fans. They will not lose anyone by going to NBC Sports and will certainly gain some, if not a lot, of new viewers on NBC Sports.

In other words, the exact opposite of what you would say about the NHL re-upping with Versus rather than ESPN.

Last edited by RPI-Fan : 08-10-2011 at 02:05 PM.
RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #329
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Can any of the MLS guys tell me how Torsten Frings (Toronto) and Frank Rost (New York) have looked so far ?

I don´t think the PL will play a couple games, won´t it be easier to schedule (later) if you either play all games or none ?

Can´t wait for the Germany-Brazil match tonight, hope Goetze finally gets his first start

Frings hasn't done much stats-wise, but has seemed to turn things around a bit for Toronto. They qualified for the group stage of the CONCACAF Champions League right after his arrival, which is a big deal and a must-do for them given the horrendous state of their MLS season.

New York is still a disaster defensively. Rost has not been good at all. Better than the terrible guy they had in there before him (Canadian Greg Sutton), but still failing to come up with either any consistency or big saves.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #330
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
I couldn't care less about the friendly (seriously, an international friendly in the middle of the week right between the opening weekends of league play, FIFA, wtf!?), but postponement of league games sounds like the rioting could take another angle, no? Or are the riotees the same people as the average stadium visiting fans?

There would not be any trouble at the games, but the local police forces may not want to dedicate resources to policing a football game when they are already stretched.

It seems to have calmed down today, so I think there is a chance that most of the games will be played.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #331
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Germany has played really well, they've made Brazil look ordinary. I know whomario liked that Goetze goal.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #332
whomario
Pro Starter

yeah, that goal was great The way he darts into that bit of space and then controlls that pass was very cool

I liked the play before the penalty equally well, brilliant backheel-save by Klose and then the pass by Goetze setting up Kroos (who played his best NT game so far today) who has a brilliant first touch there and gets fouled.

Klose today clearly showed why he´ll be the No1 striker as long as age doesn´t catch up, much better fit for the system. Gomez is a good striker who gets his goals but he simply doesn´t participate in combinations at all while Klose is allways available, moves into space and goes after every ball.
Pretty sure the only reason he didn´t start was because the italian season hasn´t started yet.

Germany played 4 offensive midfielders in a 4-1-4-1 system btw. And the lone DM Schweinsteiger is also relatively offensive minded. Doing that against Brazil, love that mentality that´s what friendlies should be used for, trying things that could give you an edge at some point.
And with Goetze being as brilliant as he has and Özil there it´s worth taking a look if you can´t play 2 offensive minded central midfielders at least for certain situations.

To be fair most brazil players are still in preseason while the german league has allready started, still it´s amazing how far german soccer has come in terms of style. Now they just need to find a way to beat Spain, other than that we are in good shape

Last edited by whomario : 08-10-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #333
DeToxRox
Head Coach

ussoccer U.S. SOCCER
#USMNT lineup v. MEX: Howard; Cherundolo, Orozco Fiscal, Bocanegra (c), Castillo; Jones, Beckerman; Donovan, Bradley, Torres; Buddle
Old 08-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #334
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Couple different names in there...I'm pretty geeked for this game. Not expecting a win, or really any dramatic differences, but just really excited to see somebody else on the sidelines.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #335
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Bob Bradley is a finalist for the Egypt job.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #336
MrBug708
Head Coach

The Philly fans are already chanting INS, INS. lol

The Mexico flag is being unfurled. I bet it's burned by the end of the game
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #337
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Chris Ryan on the start of the English Premier League - Grantland
Old 08-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #338
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

OMG...we're not playing a 4-4-2?!?! 4-2-3-1!?!?! THANK YOU JURGI!!!!!
Old 08-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #339
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Bumped over to ESPN News for Little League, that kind of sucks for anyone DVRing it.

It will be interesting to see how Bradley does further forward, it seems like a long time ago when he scored all those goals in the Dutch league. I would love Castillo to at least look decent at left back and mean the end of Bornstein.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #340
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Bumped over to ESPN News for Little League, that kind of sucks for anyone DVRing it.

It will be interesting to see how Bradley does further forward, it seems like a long time ago when he scored all those goals in the Dutch league. I would love Castillo to at least look decent at left back and mean the end of Bornstein.

Yeah - super annoying. fucking little league BS.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #341
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
OMG...we're not playing a 4-4-2?!?! 4-2-3-1!?!?! THANK YOU JURGI!!!!!
What is the advantage here? Sorry, soccer newb trying to learn the game. I understand it from a formation standpoint, but want to know how it benefits this particular roster.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #342
MrBug708
Head Coach

There is that...mostly luck
Old 08-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #343
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Look...I'm not trying to be racist here or anything, but what's the point of having a Mexican color guy in the box?? They're showing the damn game on the Spanish language channels...I don't need him sitting on ESPN pimping how great Mexico is.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #344
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

If Bradley had been in line with the other defenders then Peralta would have been two yards offside. Hell of a finish though.

Last edited by Big Fo : 08-10-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #345
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Is it me, or is this pitch just unbelievably small?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #346
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What is the advantage here? Sorry, soccer newb trying to learn the game. I understand it from a formation standpoint, but want to know how it benefits this particular roster.

No need to apologize!

With the particular guys on the pitch - we have a couple more attacking-style midfielders in the lineup who didn't really have "natural positions" in Bradley's preferred 4-4-2. But really I'm just more excited because Bradley had become somewhat notorious for his strict adherence to a flat 4-4-2 with two defensive midfielders - it's nice to see more of a diamond-shape forwation with essentially 4 players in more advanced positions able to attack.

Then again - I'm just glad Bradley is gone - I'd be happy if Jurgi brought them out in a 8-1-1 or something totally opposite.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-10-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #347
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:

USA doesn't have one good striker (if Dempsey is used as an attacking midfielder that is, and he's not even here tonight so...), let alone two.We might as well get an extra body into midfield and try and hold onto/win back the ball some more. Bradley is supposedly playing in the hole but with his workrate he could still make a contribution defensively.

Last edited by Big Fo : 08-10-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #348
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

An Edson Buddle sighting! Sure, it was only because he was caught offside. But at least I know he is there now.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #349
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
USA doesn't have one good striker (if Dempsey is used as an attacking midfielder that is, and he's not even here tonight so...), let alone two.We might as well get an extra body into midfield and try and hold onto/win back the ball some more. Bradley is supposedly playing in the hole but with his workrate he could still make a contribution defensively.

I hope to GOD that Jurgi uses Dempsey as a frigging striker. I have a feeling he won't have the damn blinders on and will happily do that and then at least we'll have ONE guy.

And we can see Holden finally getting some damn playing time in midfield too...bout frigging time for that.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:41 PM   #350
MrBug708
Head Coach

Holden's issue is being hurt right now. Pretty sure he'd have played heavily if he was healthy