Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-25-2018, 05:05 AM   #5101
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Wonder if it's finally time to buy NMS.

I wondered that too with the sale price and update, but then I remembered that I played the game for 45 minutes on release day and was so bored that I refunded it. There's not a single thing the game does that other games haven't already done better, and reading through the new content I'm not sure that's changed at all. And that's forgetting all the bald faced lies from Mr Murray in the lead-up to the initial launch.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:28 AM   #5102
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Wonder if it's finally time to buy NMS.

I did buy it yesterday [finding a better deal at GMG ]. I played a couple of hours last night. I just landed on my second planet. Way too soon to say whether the game has finally arrived or not, but for ~$25, I figured it was worth a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I finally got around to giving Rimworld a try. Bought it Friday night and have played it for 26 hours so far.

I've had that game on the sidelines for awhile. I really think this would be a fun one to jump back into. But I'd want to set aside some decent amount of time to play it. My typical style of jumping in for 30-60 mins once or twice a week doesn't give me the chance to truly get invested. I've watched some of the Let's Play videos. Now it's time for me to play.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:59 AM   #5103
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I wondered that too with the sale price and update, but then I remembered that I played the game for 45 minutes on release day and was so bored that I refunded it. There's not a single thing the game does that other games haven't already done better, and reading through the new content I'm not sure that's changed at all. And that's forgetting all the bald faced lies from Mr Murray in the lead-up to the initial launch.

I think if you come into the game expecting instant action/combat like Diablo/Path of Exile you are going to be disappointed. The game has a "chill factor" to it-just exploring a planet is fun because you never know what you will find on it. Some areas are breathtaking. There is an underlying story to it (not sure what's changed in NEXT for that). You are given a quest to start the story right when you start a new game. Or you can ignore the story and explore, find a planet to build a base on, gather resources, sell them at the galactic market. Go to a space station and get quests, some of which are combat ones etc. Multiplayer will add new avenues for combat. You aren't given everything you need to survive when you start (and a lot of times you start on a planet that will kill you gradually). Learning how the game works is part of the fun.

I understand why some people find it boring. Watch some videos of someone just starting the game to get a good idea of whether you will like it or not. To me its a game that got a very bad "stink" attached to it from all the hype that did not deliver. Slowly patch by patch they are making the game into a lot of what the hype generated. If you can get it a good price (and don't get it from GOG as for some reason that version doesn't have multiplayer), I certainly think its worth checking it out. Just make sure your computer has enough memory/graphics.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:25 PM   #5104
Thomkal
Head Coach

40,000 people playing it on Steam can't be wrong, can it?

https://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-...ffer-pcgamertw
Old 07-25-2018, 05:28 PM   #5105
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, but 38,000 of them had actually died days earlier of boredom
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #5106
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Yeah, but 38,000 of them had actually died days earlier of boredom

oof!
Old 07-25-2018, 06:48 PM   #5107
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I finally got around to giving Rimworld a try. Bought it Friday night and have played it for 26 hours so far.

I've logged 155 hours so far. By far my favorite solo game.

Overall, it's only 2nd to Terraria. (282 hours) That's mostly because the kids keep making me start over so they can build a new fortress
Old 07-25-2018, 07:46 PM   #5108
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I think if you come into the game expecting instant action/combat like Diablo/Path of Exile you are going to be disappointed. The game has a "chill factor" to it-just exploring a planet is fun because you never know what you will find on it. Some areas are breathtaking. There is an underlying story to it (not sure what's changed in NEXT for that). You are given a quest to start the story right when you start a new game. Or you can ignore the story and explore, find a planet to build a base on, gather resources, sell them at the galactic market. Go to a space station and get quests, some of which are combat ones etc. Multiplayer will add new avenues for combat. You aren't given everything you need to survive when you start (and a lot of times you start on a planet that will kill you gradually). Learning how the game works is part of the fun.

I understand why some people find it boring. Watch some videos of someone just starting the game to get a good idea of whether you will like it or not. To me its a game that got a very bad "stink" attached to it from all the hype that did not deliver. Slowly patch by patch they are making the game into a lot of what the hype generated. If you can get it a good price (and don't get it from GOG as for some reason that version doesn't have multiplayer), I certainly think its worth checking it out. Just make sure your computer has enough memory/graphics.

No I get that. I mean, I've spent countless hours on Minecraft building exploring digging, etc. I'm OK with that type of game. To me, NMS had components of games I'd already played (Minecraft and Planet Explorers in particular) but didn't do any of them as well. Planet Explorers actually had some of the features NMS was supposed to have and didn't, well before. Even the exploration component... I mean, NMS planets are the equivalents of a single Minecraft biome, not the multi-biome planets that might have made exploration more interesting. If it had a "dungeon crawler" type of cavern combat it might have held my interest, but instead it was "walk 5 mins to point X to mine Y amount of Z", rinse+repeat. OK, lots of games like that... but compare THAT to what was promised and they deserve everything they got from that release.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:47 PM   #5109
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Apparently Steam updated to include some chat feature that now auto-opens every time I boot up my laptop. I can't figure out how to disable it. Anyone? I just want it to stop popping up on start-up.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:16 PM   #5110
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Apparently Steam updated to include some chat feature that now auto-opens every time I boot up my laptop. I can't figure out how to disable it. Anyone? I just want it to stop popping up on start-up.

Ditto, so I'll watch the thread to see if anybody figures it out.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:44 PM   #5111
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't think you can disable it without reverting to the old UI (which looks to be a pain in the ass to do).

Why the fuck do companies do this? I want to use your service to play games. Don't need another dumb fucking social feature I'll never use.

The funny thing is Discord just added a bunch of games bullshit to their service because no one can actually just improve the service that we are using it for.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:56 PM   #5112
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Why the fuck do companies do this?

The word "engagement" oughta just have four letters in it.

Apparently they're so scared about multi-tasking that they're afraid you might spend time on InstaFaceChat instead of playing games. What they haven't grasped apparently is that many of us game to get away from people, not to interact with them.

I can't think of anything I'd want less than a #$%@# chat message while I was trying to rule the world.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:05 PM   #5113
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

A way to change the chat popup.....

1) Create a new shortcut that points to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe
2) Within the shortcut, add the parameter of "-nofriendsui" that will prevent the popup from showing

If you like Steam to auto start when Windows loads, in addition to the above, complete the following.

1) Go into Steam client and turn off autostart within settings
2) Copy the newly created desktop shortcut to the startup folder on your PC
SlyBelle1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:16 PM   #5114
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The vast majority of my gaming time is now spent playing co-op games with friends. We usually use Skype, but last night knew tried to use the new Steam chat function and it worked really well. Much better than the old one, which was abysmal.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:27 PM   #5115
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The vast majority of my gaming time is now spent playing co-op games with friends.

So between us we cover the ends of the spectrum pretty much lol
Old 07-27-2018, 06:46 PM   #5116
Ksyrup

Yeah no kidding. I've never played multiplayer and have no interest at all.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-27-2018, 06:47 PM   #5117
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
A way to change the chat popup.....

1) Create a new shortcut that points to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe
2) Within the shortcut, add the parameter of "-nofriendsui" that will prevent the popup from showing

If you like Steam to auto start when Windows loads, in addition to the above, complete the following.

1) Go into Steam client and turn off autostart within settings
2) Copy the newly created desktop shortcut to the startup folder on your PC

Thanks, but if that's really the easiest way, they can kiss it!
Old 07-27-2018, 08:49 PM   #5118
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Thanks, but if that's really the easiest way, they can kiss it!

Agree that Steam should have included an option to change within settings, but for whatever reason they didn't. Odd choice. But at least these steps can be taken once in under a minute to resolve the issue. Hopefully there is enough outcry where a future update includes a setting.
SlyBelle1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:33 PM   #5119
Thomkal
Head Coach

Some screenshots from No Man's Sky and some videos and stories about one planet the author found:

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-coolest-...y-next-so-far/

https://www.pcgamer.com/this-no-mans...ffer-pcgamertw
Old 07-28-2018, 12:46 PM   #5120
whomario
Pro Starter

Going to guess it also has to do with the update, but has anybody else got trouble displaying items in the Workshop ? I can get to the game page, but as i click on a category it claims that no items can be found with that criteria.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 07-28-2018 at 12:46 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:19 PM   #5121
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
I suspect you have Steam set up to launch on the booting process, or right after the desktop session is started. I have Steam set to not launch when I turn my laptop on, but have it setup to launch when I start a shortcut to a Steam game (like FOF8). Now, whenever I start a game, even in full screen mode, right after the game started, I'm thrown back to my desktop screen because the chat function had to be launched as well and apparently they think it should get preference over the game I want to play.

I've sent a report to Steam Support to stop minimizing a game right after I tried to start it.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:51 PM   #5122
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I cannot stand that stupid chat popup.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:57 PM   #5123
weegeebored
High School Varsity

For the people having issues, do you have the Steam Overlay on? Mine is off and I don't seem to be having problems.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:20 PM   #5124
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Now, whenever I start a game, even in full screen mode, right after the game started, I'm thrown back to my desktop screen because the chat function had to be launched as well and apparently they think it should get preference over the game I want to play.

This. This. Very fucking much THIS.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:16 PM   #5125
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
For the people having issues, do you have the Steam Overlay on? Mine is off and I don't seem to be having problems.

Thank you for this. I can't think of a more worthless feature than an intrusion of social media in a solo game.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:36 AM   #5126
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Thanks! I turned this off and no more chat window.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:43 AM   #5127
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
it’s an interesting game although puzzled as to why so limited turns per game

You can up the turns if you like.. at least I think I saw that in the options. I just started with Saint Louis FC using the United States mod. It's a deep but very accessible game. Love the turned based tactical play.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #5128
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Some screenshots from No Man's Sky and some videos and stories about one planet the author found:

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-coolest-...y-next-so-far/

https://www.pcgamer.com/this-no-mans...ffer-pcgamertw

Have you been playing this?

Your thoughts? Is it the type of game I can play while watching TV, or is it more detailed where I have to pay really close attention?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:12 PM   #5129
MrBug708
Head Coach

Gotta focus on it IMO. I dont mind the game, it's still tricky and slow, but there is a level of enjoyment still
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:18 PM   #5130
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Gotta focus on it IMO. I dont mind the game, it's still tricky and slow, but there is a level of enjoyment still

cool.

I decided to grab it since it is on sale.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:00 PM   #5131
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Have you been playing this?

Your thoughts? Is it the type of game I can play while watching TV, or is it more detailed where I have to pay really close attention?

There are things you have to pay attention to depending on what planet you are on-things like the weather or atmosphere will slowly kill you if aren't there to fix it. You can be attacked in space (and on land if you are hostile to certain things.) But you will get a computer warning that your exosuit is failing on a planet so as long as you keep the volume on there's not a lot you have to pay attention to. Flying in space you will have to pay attention to more to make sure you don't miss your waypoint. (and the first ship you get can be hard to control too). Once you get used to the flow of how things work, its not as demanding of your attention.

My suggestion is to watch some videos of someone starting the game with the new patch, NEXT, just to see what to expect. I'm watching videos from GameRiot on YouTube right now that are pretty typical of what a new player should expect.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:30 PM   #5132
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
I've sent a report to Steam Support to stop minimizing a game right after I tried to start it.
My report was replied with a redirect and basically told me to write down my story to the Steam support again. My explanation was pretty clear, go waste your own time by copy and pasting it.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:43 PM   #5133
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
I needed to reboot to check if it really worked, it appears to be an acceptable temporary work around. It still started the chat fluff, but quickly closed/minimized and then let my computer start up the program I actually wanted to start up.

(in Steam go to 'Steam' in the upper left corer, go to 'Settings', go to 'In-Game', there unclick the 'Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game' option)

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 07-29-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:38 PM   #5134
Thomkal
Head Coach

XCom2 for approx $20 for the next week on Steam
Old 07-30-2018, 02:01 PM   #5135
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
40,000 people playing it on Steam can't be wrong, can it?

Make it 100,000

Old 07-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #5136
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Eh, it could be 2 billion and they could still be wrong. Sometimes games succeed because they are good, but there is a lot of popular crap and stuff that is good but never succeeds as much as it deserves out there.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:57 PM   #5137
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I may have wasted $30. IT didn't hook me and seems very micro managy. May wait to try again until I am somewhere I can really focus on it.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:04 PM   #5138
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
I may have wasted $30. IT didn't hook me and seems very micro managy. May wait to try again until I am somewhere I can really focus on it.

Sorry to hear that Latham. It gets a bit micro managy at first, especially after NEXT because so much is new-resources, methods used to get them, things you need to build to craft with them etc. But for me at least that fades over time. You might try to start 2 or 3 games at once just to run the tutorial quests over and over to help it sink in more. Did you like the scenery at least?
Old 07-30-2018, 03:08 PM   #5139
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Sorry to hear that Latham. It gets a bit micro managy at first, especially after NEXT because so much is new-resources, methods used to get them, things you need to build to craft with them etc. But for me at least that fades over time. You might try to start 2 or 3 games at once just to run the tutorial quests over and over to help it sink in more. Did you like the scenery at least?

I did. Perhaps I did something wrong. I didn't see a tutorial.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:15 PM   #5140
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
I did. Perhaps I did something wrong. I didn't see a tutorial.

Yeah when you start a normal game, you "wake up" on a random planet, usually one where you will die unless you follow the prompts (female computer voice and a message on the right side of your screen) that start right after you wake up. Look for Ferrite Dust in stones and rock formations or Carbon in trees/plants to recharge your suit enough to survive.

Look at GameRiots 1st video in his No Man's Sky series to see what it should look like when you start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQg1ZXPmXEM

Last edited by Thomkal : 07-30-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:20 PM   #5141
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Yeah when you start a normal game, you "wake up" on a random planet, usually one where you will die unless you follow the prompts (female computer voice and a message on the right side of your screen) that start right after you wake up. Look for Ferrite Dust in stones and rock formations or Carbon in trees/plants to recharge your suit enough to survive.

I saw that and figured out the ferrite dust. I had the sound off so i didn't hear any voice.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:24 PM   #5142
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
I saw that and figured out the ferrite dust. I had the sound off so i didn't hear any voice.

there's a good soundtrack, as well as animal voices and more-definitely should play with the sound on
Old 07-31-2018, 03:11 PM   #5143
PilotMan
Head Coach

Humble Sports Bundle FTW!

I already have a lot, but for someone wanting Motorsport Manager, it's fantastic.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/sports-bundle

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:42 PM   #5144
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Humble Sports Bundle FTW!

Just saying thanks for the tipoff on this. Just bought the bundle AND redeemed the 75% off coupon for FM2018 as well.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:54 PM   #5145
Ramzavail
College Starter

ugh, how can you resist FM 18 when its 75% off
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:36 AM   #5146
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm thinking about getting the bundle for the 75% off... any other great games in the bundle?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:55 AM   #5147
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I'm thinking about getting the bundle for the 75% off... any other great games in the bundle?

EHM (but I figure you've got that already) and that racing sim thing-y (which I think you've got). The rest were stray driving type stuff I believe.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:55 PM   #5148
Thomkal
Head Coach

I had about 25 things on my wishlist go on sale this weekend-mostly digital board game stuff, so you might check those out if interested. Also the whole Endless Legends/Space 1 and 2/Dungeons of the Endless etc are on a free to play weekend and sale.

Last edited by Thomkal : 08-02-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:35 PM   #5149
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
EHM (but I figure you've got that already) and that racing sim thing-y (which I think you've got). The rest were stray driving type stuff I believe.

I never got the racing sim... that might make it worthwhile.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:40 PM   #5150
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I never got the racing sim... that might make it worthwhile.

Haven't fired it up yet tbh, but for $6 and the combo of it / FM18 for under $20, well that was just too good a chance.

I suspect -- from very first blush at least -- that I may end up playing FM Touch more than the full thing, but you could kinda count that (IMO) as getting at least three games with the combo.