Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #101
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Thankfully we're onto a new page. I don't know what the heck the problem was with page 2, but it took me 3-4 attempts and a couple of minutes to get it loaded semi-properly every time.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #102
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Dan Mangan - Rows of Houses

Big Wreck - Albatross

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 02-14-2012 at 11:32 AM.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #103
Ksyrup

Great to see Big Wreck back at it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #104
Easy Mac

Bonnaroo 2012 Lineup. A little boring this year.
RADIOHEAD •RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS •PHISH THE BEACH BOYS (BRIAN WILSON, MIKE LOVE, AL JARDINE, BRUCE JOHNSTON AND DAVID MARKS) BON IVER •THE AVETT BROTHERS •THE SHINS •FOSTER THE PEOPLE •SKRILLEX •AZIZ ANSARI DISPATCH •FEIST •THE ROOTS •ALICE COOPER •SUPERJAM •BLACK STAR THE WORD (JOHN MEDESKI, ROBERT RANDOLPH AND NORTH MISSISSIPPI ALLSTARS) •LUDACRIS BEN FOLDS FIVE •FLOGGING MOLLY SPECTRUM ROAD (CINDY BLACKMAN SANTANA, JACK BRUCE, JOHN MEDESKI, AND VERNON REID) MAC MILLER •CHILDISH GAMBINO •MAJOR LAZER •TUNE-YARDS •AFROCUBISM •FLYING LOTUS UMPHREY’S MCGEE •LITTLE DRAGON •ST. VINCENT •CITY AND COLOUR •THE CIVIL WARS YOUNG THE GIANT •TWO DOOR CINEMA CLUB •PUNCH BROTHERS •NEEDTOBREATHE •FITZ & THE TANTRUMS •BAD BRAINS •YELAWOLF •DAWES •BATTLES •DANNY BROWN THE BLACK LIPS •SBTRKT •PHANTOGRAM •KENDRICK LAMAR CHARLES BRADLEY AND HIS EXTRAORDINAIRES •THE KOOKS •THE JOY FORMIDABLE •THE ANTLERS KATHLEEN EDWARDS •MIMOSA •KURT VILE & THE VIOLATORS •ALABAMA SHAKES •DAS RACIST DELTA SPIRIT •GARY CLARK JR. •IVAN NEVILLE'S DUMPSTAPHUNK •LAURA MARLING TRAMPLED BY TURTLES •MOGWAI •THE WAR ON DRUGS •BEN HOWARD •GROUPLOVE BLIND PILOT •ALO •THE DEVIL MAKES THREE •WHITE DENIM •EMA •HERE WE GO MAGIC •K-FLAY THE LONELY FOREST •MARIACHI EL BRONX •BIG FREEDIA •DALE EARNHARDT JR. JR. •THE SOUL REBELS KVELERTAK •SOJA •STEVEN BERNSTEIN'S MTO PLAYS SLY •BIG GIGANTIC •SARAH JAROSZ ORGONE •DARONDO •FRUIT BATS •MOON TAXI
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #105
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I don't know. I like it. I easily see 8-10 bands I'd like to see (and I have no interest in Radiohead, Phish, The Beach Boys). Not to mention, it's Bonnaroo.

One of these years I'll go. Although that festival down in... Alabama?... where you hang out on the beach sounds like it would be fucking sweet. Hangout is it?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #106
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

dola,

My laptop was the same, Ksyrup. I mean, my laptop is a giant turd compared to my desktop and I need to replace this thing, but I had to stop coming to this thread because it would crap my Chrome out.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #107
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

re: slow loading - I usually have to use task mgr to close the FF plug-in container to get through this thread (or any that's YT heavy). Figured that was just my chugging old desktop.

re: Bonaroo - well, it's got Alice Cooper going for it. Beyond that, I don't think there's anyone I'd actually go out in my backyard to see play for free. Funny thing was that I actually rattled off four accurate predictions (and no inaccurate ones) when my wife mentioned it earlier today (she's got some old classmates who go every year, so the announcement popped up on her FB)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-14-2012 at 05:24 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #108
Ksyrup

Ben Folds Five, Alice Cooper, and Kvelertak

That's about it for me from that Bonnaroo list.

If anyone goes, I'd love to hear the reaction to Bad Brains. I've seen some YT of their recent performances and read some reviews, and they are uniformly terrible. You couldn't pay me enough to sit through what I heard on YT.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-14-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #109
britrock88
Pro Starter

dola

Tons of Neil Young.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #110
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Bluegrass-ish cover of a JaRule/Ashanti track "Always On Time" for V-Day.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-15-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #111
Easy Mac

Interesting streams this week:

Sleigh Bells - Reign of Terror (via the Grey Lady of all places)

Islands - A Sleep & A Forgetting

Tennis - Young & Old

Perfume Genius - Put Your Back N 2 It

fun. - Some Nights
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #112
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I really like the Queen esque elements of fun. I'll have to check out their first disc.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #113
Grover
Pro Starter

I'd go to Bonaroo just to see Medeski play keys.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #114
britrock88
Pro Starter

From Easy Mac's post, I searched Sleigh Bells on NYT. Found a video for their song "Comeback Kid" complete with this grandiose and entirely accurate description:

"You’ll witness what is, to my knowledge, the greatest example of casually cool condiment-flipping in the history of popular culture."

Is It Too Early for a Song of the Summer? - NYTimes.com
Old 02-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #115
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-19-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:28 AM   #116
frnk55
High School Varsity

Grateful Dead 10-21-78
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #117
Ksyrup

Finally downloaded the new Goatwhore from Amazon last night. Just what I needed.

http://

My wife was like, "Really? You're 40 years old and you listen to a band called Goatwhore?!"

And I said, "I'M A MAN! I'm 40!"

Wife: Puzzled look, shakes her head, walks away.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #118
Ksyrup

It's Thrash Wednesday. Let's go!

Old 02-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #119
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Prince - Original Live Recording of Purple Rain (First Avenue 1983) with Commentary - movies, music, Smartphones

Original 13+ minute live recording of Purple Rain with notes showing the differences from the live version and the soundtrack version as the live version was used in mass for the soundtrack version.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #120
korme
Go Reds

Pretty good Bonnaroo lineup.

THE KOOKS
NAIVE

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #121
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I think this may be more interesting than great. Good though, and I appreciate the effort.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:48 AM   #122
Grover
Pro Starter

This came out in 2010, but I've just gotten around to it. I'm a big, big fan of Jose Gonzalez and he's got a band with him called Junip. Fantastic stuff.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:38 AM   #123
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I think this may be more interesting than great. Good though, and I appreciate the effort.

See, I listen to something like this, and all I hear is Nickelback.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:59 AM   #124
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
See, I listen to something like this, and all I hear is Nickelback.

Much of the credit I give here is for the idea & the effort. The well-known version of the song is, honestly, catchier IMO.

That said, as I've mentioned in the past, I'm not on the Nickelback haters list either. Burn It To The Ground is one of the ten best songs in the past decade afaic, and of their 27 singles to date (definitely had to look that up) at least 1/3rd are "turn it up" rather than "turn it off" for me.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:05 AM   #125
Ksyrup

I don't like Nickelback at all, but I really haven't listened to enough of their stuff to say I'm sick of it or anything. It's not the quality I'm necessarily objecting to, but the fact that it all sounds the same. I've never heard of the band or the song, so I was just going off of that video.

If someone had asked me who it was, I would have put $100 on Nickelback. I guess that sums up the state of rock music these days and why I tend to not even bother checking any of it out, I don't know.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #126
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't like Nickelback at all, but I really haven't listened to enough of their stuff to say I'm sick of it or anything. It's not the quality I'm necessarily objecting to, but the fact that it all sounds the same. I've never heard of the band or the song, so I was just going off of that video.

If someone had asked me who it was, I would have put $100 on Nickelback. I guess that sums up the state of rock music these days and why I tend to not even bother checking any of it out, I don't know.

I think you're probably assigning too broad a range to NB honestly. Their songs fit into about four categories -- drunk/horny teen, sensitive, angry, moderately uptempo random topic other than getting drunk or laid -- this cover is really outside of any of those

In the case of Charm City Devils, you're easily excused for not recognizing them, I doubt very many people could. Heck, even I had to Google to recall that they were the contest winning opening act for CrueFest 2 and the first act signed to Eleven Seven Music (Nikki Sixx's label)
Old 02-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #127
Ksyrup

It's not so much what the song's about but the sound of the band/vocals. it sounds like NB to me - or at least, what I think NB sounds like. I guess the vocals sound a tad less polished that NB, but otherwise the production sounds like all post-grunge bands I lump together (fairly or not).

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-23-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #128
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's not so much what the song's about but the sound of the band/vocals. it sounds like NB to me - or at least, what I think NB sounds like. I guess the vocals sound a tad less polished that NB, but otherwise the production sounds like all post-grunge bands I lump together (fairly or not).

Yeah, you're oversimplifying even for post-grunge (which NB probably isn't one of IMO, not at this point anyway).

This is much more like, I dunno, let's say Seether. And comparing NB and Seether is akin, in 80's terms, to comparing Poison and Faster Pussycat.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #129
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Yeah, you're oversimplifying even for post-grunge (which NB probably isn't one of IMO, not at this point anyway).

This is much more like, I dunno, let's say Seether. And comparing NB and Seether is akin, in 80's terms, to comparing Poison and Faster Pussycat.

Ha!

Funny, I was going to bring up Seether, not because I know much about them but from what I've heard, they do have a definite tie to grunge. I thinnk the post-grunge thing is purposely over-simplified, in the same way "alternative" and then "indie" were. They have that sound. The vocalists all have the same general type of voice and sing in the same ways. There's a lot tying them together, even if at the ground level, you can pick them apart.

And coming from someone who hated Poison and loved Faster Pussycat, Iit pains me to say 25 years later that I'd lump them all together with the Roxx Gang's of the hair metal world. I can distinguish them, sure, but unless you're living that world, they're all interchangeable. I guess that's the way I see view/hear rock music since the mid-90s. It's been 15 years of generic rock that sounds like offshoots of Creed and Nickelback.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #130
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Funny, I was going to bring up Seether, not because I know much about them but from what I've heard, they do have a definite tie to grunge.

They, who I've turned out to like pretty well, are the band that seemed to be the one that helped me really get my head around post-grunge as a definition. Oddly enough, it took seeing them live for it to actually click with me I think, prior to that it was a lot more vague term to me. Considering how much I purely hated the entire grunge era/movement/bands/sound, to even be okay with someone fairly labeled as having a post-grunge sound was a pretty big step.

Quote:
And coming from someone who hated Poison and loved Faster Pussycat, Iit pains me to say 25 years later that I'd lump them all together with the Roxx Gang's of the hair metal world. I can distinguish them, sure, but unless you're living that world, they're all interchangeable.

Okay, given that statement (admission?), I can kind of see how you really don't contemplate the distinctions between NB & Seether, et al.

Quote:
It's been 15 years of generic rock that sounds like offshoots of Creed and Nickelback.

Probably no shortage of truth to that for a considerable chunk of bands. But with that comes the roots of my re-entry into music fandom too. There are probably three songs that played major roles in me turning music radio back starting in 2000 or so.

3 Doors Down - Kryptonite (probably discovered for me late 2000) ... catchy, even if largely generic

Staind - It's Been A While (April 2001) ... it's in a range I can actually attempt in the car without making myself cringe, always a plus AND it came across as honest rather than whiny

Nickelback - How You Remind Me (July 2001) ... "i've been wrong, i've been down, been to the bottom of every bottle" resonated strongly with me

Pretty much everything else I discovered -- both the lot that I like and the fair number of ones that I actively dislike --since then stems back to those three very accessible songs. Now I can tout Hell In the Club and decry the inclusion of Black Veil Brides at the Golden Gods Awards with the best of 'em
Old 02-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #131
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

as another person who hated Poison and liked Faster Pussycat, I too would regrettably lump them together now.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #132
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
FUN.
"We Are Young" ft. Janelle Monae

I was a fan of The Format but never listened to Fun. I was able to listen to this album over the weekend a couple of times, uninterrupted, and I like it a lot. The 2-part Some People track reminds me of Rufus Wainwright, Queen and Graceland-era Paul Simon all mixed together. Just wish there weren't so many f-bombs because I think my daughter would like it, but my wife would probably divorce me if I played it in the car. #dadproblems

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-27-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #133
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My February playlist, about 7 hours worth of current hard rock & metal. Finished with a reorganization last night, figured I might as well share. First 50 songs are getting airplay somewhere, the remainder are a mix of recurrent (i.e. recent hits) and more obscure stuff that probably isn't going to cross your radar unless you're actively following the scene.

edit: The embedded version is the first song in the playlist but it appears to keep autoplaying after that. Probably want to click the little YT link in the bottom corner to get to the full playlist so you can browse & cherrypick.

double edit: Here's a straight link to the playlist so you can scroll through without playing http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL06A83CE2D148F619

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-27-2012 at 01:22 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #134
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
I was a fan of The Format but never listened to Fun. I was able to listen to this album over the weekend a couple of times, uninterrupted, and I like it a lot. The 2-part Some People track reminds me of Rufus Wainwright, Queen and Graceland-era Paul Simon all mixed together. Just wish there weren't so many f-bombs because I think my daughter would like it, but my wife would probably divorce me if I played it in the car. #dadproblems
I loved The Format and liked most of the first Fun. album, but I can't get into this album. There are about 3 or 4 songs that I like, We Are Young being one of them, the rest really disappoint me. Especially the fact that they decided to ruin one of the good songs by doing autotune on Nate's voice near the end of the song. I asked my wife what she thought and she hates the album.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #135
Ksyrup

Yeah, that autotune thing was strange, but I didn't mind it from the perspective that it seemed so over-the-top that it was being used as a sound unto itself, not as a tool to correct his vocal. I'm not sure I like it either way, but if it's going to be used, I'd rather hear it like that (in small doses) than as a barely perceptible fix of a bad vocal.

I've not heard the first Fun album. I'll have to check it out to compare. Some Nights definitely feels stylized for popularity. There are certain sounds/phrasings that I hear in these songs that remind me of some of the stuff my 12-year old listens to. But it's obviously got a bit more substance/musicality to it.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #136
Ksyrup

Hey JIMGA, have you heard the Adrenaline Mob sample with that Halestorm chick singing?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #137
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hey JIMGA, have you heard the Adrenaline Mob sample with that Halestorm chick singing?

Saw them post it this morning, saving it for later.

You caught the new Jack Blades solo track or the first single from the upcoming Jeff Scott Soto yet? (I'll do linkage later)
Old 02-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #138
kurtism
High School Varsity

Summerscent by a very young band out of Chicago, Kids These Days. Collection of musical prodigies (pretty sure the entire group is < 20 years old), they make an excellent go of putting out a live band hip-hop/soul joint.

kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #139
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

And now I've heard it, or at least the sample AMob posted on their FB.

I was ... less than thrilled. My first reaction is/was that it felt very forced, almost thrown together like "hey we still need Lzzy on a track, what haven't we laid down yet?". One of the weakest cuts I've heard under the A Mob monicker.

Then again, this is a different Mob. No more Rich Ward, new bass player, and given the way things played out (with no ex-members even on the record), I'm a little more cautious about them than I was before. Russell sounds very good on the samples, and I actually like "Undaunted", so I'm sure it'll be fine but I'm just not grooving quite as hard on them as I was when the EP was released.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #140
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Since this is a music thread I figure I'd ask here...

Does anyone know who sings the song in this MLB Promo Trailer...

Sounds a bit like Cowboy Mouth to me...but I can't find info on the song anywhere...

Last edited by Breeze : 02-29-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #141
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

Yeah, I've only given it one runthrough, but I do think I will like it a lot.

Perhaps there is a censored version?
Old 02-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #142
Ksyrup

I looked on iTunes at least and didn't see one. I think it's only the title track and the intro that's got at least 3 F-bombs. I don't think I heard any others, but I've only listened to the album completely through three times.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #143
Sporkimata
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Something entirely new. From Domino Records, the same folks who have Miles Kane and the Arctic Monkeys signed. This is their newest artist, Eugene McGuinness.

This tune is very James Bondsian. I was hooked right from the start. If you 'like' his Facebook page you also get a free download of the track 'Thunderbolt' which is quite good in its own right.

I love my Brit rock.

Makes me think of this Tricky song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3fd4nE8OCI&ob=av2e

Last edited by Sporkimata : 02-29-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Sporkimata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #144
CraigSca
Pro Starter

As I await the Stone Roses reunion occurring in June, I've been listening to more Sulk (their latest, from November)

how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #146
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
I love my Brit rock.

Umm, thank you.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #147
Ksyrup

I posted something in the "you're getting old" thread about jerry Gaskill of King's X having a heart attack. I found this pretty cool blog post about the band in the aftermath of his heart attack and since I listen to KX pretty much on a weekly basis, thought I'd post it here:

The NEW Place on Damen Ave: You Should Appreciate King's X While They're Here

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-02-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #148
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

No, it's not in English. But it's awesome in any case.

Also on rotation:

Carolina Chocolate Drops
Now, Now
The Wooden Sky
Robert Glasper

Still listening to a lot of Tennis - Young and Old (LP), Hospitality (self-titled debut) and Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory.

Alabama Shakes are blowing up. Pretty sure I posted them before, but...their debut LP comes out in a month or so and they're going to be big.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 03-04-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #149
Grover
Pro Starter

Brilliant little piece of music here. Cannot wait for the Noel Gallagher + Amorphous Androgynous album.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #150
korme
Go Reds

I love The Shins. They released their fourth studio album today. James Mercer's voice is incredible.

THE SHINS
SIMPLE SONG

Last edited by korme : 03-13-2012 at 01:25 PM.