Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-25-2016, 11:21 AM   #301
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm not particularly a fan of Green but given the question I have to at least golf clap for him here.

Well done sir.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:47 AM   #302
Thomkal
Head Coach

I might be able to watch MNF with the sound on again...

Report: Monday Night Football announcer Mike Tirico leaving for NBC
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:46 PM   #303
Logan
Head Coach

Skip Bayless is leaving ESPN. Seems to be headed to FS1.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:57 PM   #304
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Skip Bayless is leaving ESPN. Seems to be headed to FS1.

So its a great day all around huh?
Old 05-02-2016, 03:26 PM   #305
Logan
Head Coach

FS1 Launching "PTI"-Style Show Starring Cowherd, Whitlock

Last edited by Logan : 05-02-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:47 PM   #306
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Nope!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:52 PM   #307
Atocep
Coordinator

FS1 is doing a great job of helping ESPN get rid of their awful talent.

Hopefully Stephen A. Smith is next.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:00 PM   #308
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The Webster to PTI's Different Strokes
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:19 PM   #309
cuervo72
Head Coach

News on a smaller scale, in DC Czaban and Pollin are back together for The Sports Reporters. Happy about this (Chris Cooley now has morning drive time).
Old 05-02-2016, 05:22 PM   #310
bhlloy
Coordinator

At least now if a large piece falls off the ISS and crashes through the atmosphere, we all have a landing spot to root for
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:13 AM   #311
spleen1015
Coordinator

I miss Czaban on a national show. Kornheiser too.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:52 AM   #312
Easy Mac

Kornheiser streams and you can get the podcast on iTunes
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:09 AM   #313
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
FS1 is doing a great job of helping ESPN get rid of their awful talent.

Hopefully Stephen A. Smith is next.

im confident ESPN can find brand new awful talent to fill in the holes
Old 05-09-2016, 02:55 PM   #314
spleen1015
Coordinator

ESPN dropping Cris Carter and hiring Randy Moss.

What are thoughts on Cris Carter? I've always liked him and think this is a dumb move by ESPN.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:02 PM   #315
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

What are thoughts on Cris Carter? I've always liked him and think this is a dumb move by ESPN.

Ray Lewis also out thankfully. I liked Carter-was a mainstay on Mike and Mike, so not sure what they will do now. Haven't really seen Moss on TV yet, but not generally a fan of him on the field. ESPN also added Matthew Hasselbeck and Charles Woodson.

Last edited by Thomkal : 05-09-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:03 PM   #316
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

I like C.C. and I think it's a poor choice to have him move on. Surprisingly, I found Keyshawn Johnson to be better than I expected. Further, I was surprised that Randy Moss was better than I expected when I heard him on something or other. Lest you think I just like everyone, Ditka was terrible. Stephen A. is abysmal. Skip Bayless is unwatchable.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:14 PM   #317
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
I like C.C. and I think it's a poor choice to have him move on. Surprisingly, I found Keyshawn Johnson to be better than I expected. Further, I was surprised that Randy Moss was better than I expected when I heard him on something or other. Lest you think I just like everyone, Ditka was terrible. Stephen A. is abysmal. Skip Bayless is unwatchable.

I never really cared for Chris Carter. I agree with the rest.

ESPN has so much unwatchable "talent" that my time watching ESPN has dwindled to almost nothing. Berman, Vitale, Stephen A., Ditka, Corso, Broussard, and Holtz (and probably more) give me no reason to watch their shows anymore.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:52 PM   #318
molson
General Manager

Bill Simmons' "The Ringer" site went live today:

https://theringer.com/

I don't read a lot of really, really, really long articles unless I'm very interested in the topic already, but I look forward to the podcasts and HBO show. Though I don't think I need to hear Andrew Luck analyze Game of Thrones.

Last edited by molson : 06-01-2016 at 04:52 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:55 PM   #319
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I don't know I feel about a "Joe Buck is Underrated" article on the first day...
Old 06-03-2016, 09:54 AM   #320
cuervo72
Head Coach

Tony Kornheiser to leave D.C. radio after 24 years to launch podcast - The Washington Post
Old 06-03-2016, 11:21 AM   #321
bob
College Starter

Hmm... Are podcasts monetized enough to pay for him and his staff? I really have no clue.

I know one of his issues with ESPN 980 is the lack of pay for guests, which meant certain long time guests stopped coming on.

Last edited by bob : 06-03-2016 at 11:28 AM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:40 PM   #322
cuervo72
Head Coach

Some are wondering if this was more Red Zebra wanting him to go, that he didn't fit with the general All Redskins slant that the station has. No idea how much that might be the case.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:11 PM   #323
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Bill Simmons' "The Ringer" site went live today:

https://theringer.com/

I don't read a lot of really, really, really long articles unless I'm very interested in the topic already, but I look forward to the podcasts and HBO show. Though I don't think I need to hear Andrew Luck analyze Game of Thrones.

I checked it out. I liked Grantland more or less. There were a few people there that I really liked to read and none of them seemed to have made the jump to The Ringer with Simmons. I really liked a lot of their longer pieces and found most of the TV/movie reviews to be pretty in depth and intelligent.

Based on an early review, I'm not sure The Ringer is quite there yet. Not too many of the sports related stories were that interesting. The movie reviews were short and very bleh. And, while I've been huge "Game of Thrones" fan since 1999, there's just waaaaay too much Game of Thrones stuff on there. I get it. The website is related to HBO and "Game of Thrones" is HBO's only relevant show right now, but still. It's a bit much. Though, that could be said of most of the internet and "Game of Thrones."
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:20 PM   #324
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

To be fair, there has been a lot more sports articles since Day 1. A whole host of basketball ones came up before the NBA Finals. There was one on the NFL's failure to embrace technology, one about how the Dodgers are overthinking things, and one about the future star midfielders in European soccer: Pogba and Alaba. There is a good one on Julio Jones today.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:39 AM   #325
Butter
Coordinator

So did anyone watch "All Takes Matter" or whatever the hell it's actually called on FS1 yesterday? The Cowherd-Whitlock show? Anything noteworthy about it other than it being another "guys yelling at each other" show, only this one with bigger idiots?
Old 06-14-2016, 11:50 AM   #326
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
So did anyone watch "All Takes Matter" or whatever the hell it's actually called on FS1 yesterday? The Cowherd-Whitlock show? Anything noteworthy about it other than it being another "guys yelling at each other" show, only this one with bigger idiots?

It would probably be good for them to get 10% of First Take numbers, but even with that low bar, I can't imagine how it could draw that large of an audience.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:23 PM   #327
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Never underestimate the number of hate watchers?
Old 06-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #328
korme
Go Reds

I saw it's called Speak for Yourself. A number of commentators on Deadspin were rightly pointing out this is terrible timing to debut a hot take show, middle of summer.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:09 PM   #329
Logan
Head Coach

The Undefeated Can't Find Anything Bad To Say About Jameis Winston
Old 06-14-2016, 04:42 PM   #330
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
It would probably be good for them to get 10% of First Take numbers, but even with that low bar, I can't imagine how it could draw that large of an audience.

Not far off. First episode had 94K viewers, or 11.6% of yesterday's PTI audience.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:46 PM   #331
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I originally posted this in the Joe Buck thread but it is stuck in the archive...

This felt like the appropriate thread to ask if anyone saw Bill Simmons new HBO show?

I'm a fan of some of Simmons stuff... Love the NFL podcasts especially the cousin Sal, like his takes on sports stuff on Twitter, ignore NBA and Boston rants. All that said what a heap of shit that first show was. It's like he has wanted to cuss for so many years that he just let it all loose like a freshman girl at her first frat party. The bits were terrible, the cussing was out of place, the set was just odd, and I stopped the Afflack thing about twenty seconds in. Anyone enjoy this?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:49 PM   #332
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I'd call myself a fan of Simmons and agree that show was awful. I'll still watch another couple episodes to let them hit their stride but otherwise I will stick to the Channel 33 podcasts which I have been really enjoying.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:50 PM   #333
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I did not see it.

There's good Simmons, and there's annoying Simmons.

Simmons and Ben Afleck going off on how unfair the world has been to poor Tom Brady? That is some nuclear-weapons grade annoying Simmons right there.

Hopefully, with some of that out of his system, the show will pick up.

His real talent seems to be in attracting and leading talented people. You can't pay him as much as HBO is paying him and not give him a show. But I think that his real value to HBO in not in front of a camera.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 06-24-2016 at 03:51 PM.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:26 PM   #334
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I caught the first episode, I thought it was reasonably entertaining. I agree that the swearing seemed unnecessary. I thought the 'bits' were basically lame, but those might improve over time (or get scrapped for something else). I really enjoyed the Barkley interview. Affleck was silly, but I found it enjoyable enough in a 'good grief this is so over the top' kind of way.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:28 PM   #335
Logan
Head Coach

I agree with albion's last point. Whether that is $7MM-9MM in value, who knows. Obviously they're paying him a ton but the rest of the costs associated with it would be pretty low. I don't think they'd let him do it forever if it sucks, but they're not risking much by giving him a half hour on a Wednesday night.

I consider myself a fan even though I now find him more annoying than anything. I think it's based on being "with him" forever and now I laugh at (laugh at him, not with him) how his current mindset in his mid 40s and as a multimillionaire still matches his mindset back in the day - which at the time matched my mindset as an 18-22 year old.

It's just entertainment. It's why I like him on podcasts 95% of the time still, because I'm doing something else while listening - exercising, commuting, food shopping, etc. But I have no real desire to sit and watch him be himself for a half hour on a Wednesday night.

I just can't believe those topics are how he chose to launch his show. If it was someone else hosting, he would have KILLED the guy for coming out with a take that already had been beaten to hell two days later. Much less, another segment focusing on something that the country has been sick of for months.

He got a lot of rough reviews and I can imagine it would have been much worse if everyone wasn't as focused on Affleck coming across as such a nut.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:19 PM   #336
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Affleck had to be drunk while that interview was going on.

murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:24 AM   #337
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The ESPN:The Body issue is really getting annoying. I'm not a prude, but I also don't want to login and see Connor MacGregor's bare ass in the middle of the page FFS.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #338
Thomkal
Head Coach

some of us might
Old 07-06-2016, 10:58 AM   #339
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
some of us might
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:07 AM   #340
Kodos
Resident Alien

Would you be complaining if it was a hot woman?
Old 07-06-2016, 11:09 AM   #341
Suicane75
Coordinator

Would you be complaining if it was Vince Wilfork. Cause I am.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:09 AM   #342
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Which also brings up the point of why does SI do a "Body Issue" or "Swimsuit Issue"? Is it a sports magazine or a men's life magazine which mostly talks about sports?
Old 07-06-2016, 11:13 AM   #343
Suicane75
Coordinator

Hey, why Bill Gates still making magazines?
Old 07-06-2016, 11:19 AM   #344
Suicane75
Coordinator

My issue is that every picture and portfolio is essentially the same 3 or 4 poses, which just adds to the redundancy. If you want to show the human body, show the human body. Lemme see Mike Trout in a wide open stance about to hammer a fastball with his dingle hanging out. Lemme see Paige Van Zant trying to lock in an anaconda vice with the groceries on display.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:14 PM   #345
MikeVic
Head Coach

Haha I was going to post about the body issue stuff. I don't care if it's men or women, but when I want to spend a few minutes on break at work looking at some news, don't really want those showing up.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:26 PM   #346
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Which also brings up the point of why does SI do a "Body Issue" or "Swimsuit Issue"? Is it a sports magazine or a men's life magazine which mostly talks about sports?

It is a "begging anybody to click on this link or {gasp} buy a hard copy" magazine. A bunch of people are going to complain about it and two hundred more are going to look to see what all the fuss is about.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:49 PM   #347
stevew
Hall Of Famer

hxxp://www.espn.com/blog/ombudsman/post/_/id/723/espn-loosens-standards-with-treatment-of-body-issue-photos

I guess we are all oldies cause we object to seeing nudity where you wouldn't expect to see it.

Last edited by stevew : 10-06-2016 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:33 PM   #348
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Joe Buck reveals how hair replacement almost ended his career | SI.com
Old 10-14-2016, 01:41 PM   #349
miami_fan
Coordinator

Flipping through the channels today, I passed through FS1 and saw Colin Cowherd doing his radio show. This is the first time I heard or saw his radio show since he left ESPN. It is also the first time I noticed Cowherd at all since the opening of the college football season last year when I saw him on the pre game show. To be fair, I was not a big Herd fan when he was at ESPN, so I would not go out of my way to find him like say Bill Simmons or Dan Patrick among ESPN alums. Just a bit surprised at my "Oh yeah, he does do a radio show" reaction.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:27 PM   #350
Logan
Head Coach

Add Chris Broussard to the list...word is he's leaving for FS1.