Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Lucasfilm sold to Disney(Star Wars Episode 7!)

Grab the vaseline prequel haters, you're about to get raped again...

Quote:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=69442

ontinuing its strategy of delivering exceptional creative content to audiences around the world, The Walt Disney Company has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. in a stock and cash transaction. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by Lucasfilm Chairman and Founder, George Lucas. Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney stock on October 26, 2012, the transaction value is $4.05 billion, with Disney paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing. The final consideration will be subject to customary post-closing balance sheet adjustments.

"Lucasfilm reflects the extraordinary passion, vision, and storytelling of its founder, George Lucas," said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company. "This transaction combines a world-class portfolio of content including Star Wars, one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney's unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets to generate sustained growth and drive significant long-term value."

"For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next," said George Lucas, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Lucasfilm. "It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I'm confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney's reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products."

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Lucasfilm, a leader in entertainment, innovation and technology, including its massively popular and "evergreen" Star Wars franchise and its operating businesses in live action film production, consumer products, animation, visual effects, and audio post production. Disney will also acquire the substantial portfolio of cutting-edge entertainment technologies that have kept audiences enthralled for many years. Lucasfilm, headquartered in San Francisco, operates under the names Lucasfilm Ltd., LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound, and the present intent is for Lucasfilm employees to remain in their current locations.

Kathleen Kennedy, current Co-Chairman of Lucasfilm, will become President of Lucasfilm, reporting to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Additionally she will serve as the brand manager for Star Wars, working directly with Disney's global lines of business to build, further integrate, and maximize the value of this global franchise. Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.
Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...hvgKrWkMyHe.99

I'm not a prequel hater, so I'm really happy. This is not some made up shit, right?

Last edited by stevew : 10-31-2012 at 01:46 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
molson
General Manager

Wouldn't episode 7 be a sequel?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So were episodes 2 and 3
Old 10-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
JediKooter
Coordinator

So much for this going public at 2PM...

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
molson
General Manager

Whatever it is, I don't want to see it.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
So much for this going public at 2PM...

It's 2PM somewhere.

So you'll be a Disney employee now? That's cool right?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The DisneyBorg strikes again..
Old 10-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If they use any of the things they have learned from the Marvel universe, these movies have very little chance of sucking. I'd imagine they can use real directors and the storytelling options are basically limitless. Especially since George will probably kick off sooner, rather than later.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Is it April 1st? I feel like this has gotta be a joke...
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

It can only be minutely good if Lucas doesn't write or direct them.

HIRE BIOWARE TO WRITE THE SCRIPT!
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
It's 2PM somewhere.

So you'll be a Disney employee now? That's cool right?

True, it is 2PM somewhere.

I'm assuming we will be, but, don't know for sure. I actually don't know how to take this. I'm worried about being redundant because Disney has their Imagineers, which seems like the same thing that we do in R&D here at ILM.

We have a meeting at 4PM in some big warehouse in Richmond, so, maybe they will nuke us there and cull the payroll all at once.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 10-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I can't wait til more details come out. Basically I pray that they get 3-4 different storylines going, perhaps sampling some of the old republic type stuff and then tackling some of the tertiary stuff like boba fett, etc. I pray it's not going to just be a movie every 5 years or so, or some sort of trilogy continuation exclusively.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I can't wait til more details come out. Basically I pray that they get 3-4 different storylines going, perhaps sampling some of the old republic type stuff and then tackling some of the tertiary stuff like boba fett, etc. I pray it's not going to just be a movie every 5 years or so, or some sort of trilogy continuation exclusively.

That's funny, I remember him dying in the originals

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #14
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post

Oh god no...
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #15
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
That's funny, I remember him dying in the originals

SI

No way man, if you read the extended universe novels (WHICH LUCAS AGREES ARE CANNON) then you'd know that he uses explosives to kill the sarlac and is total able to escape. Unless you want to tell me which scene you actually see him die in.

[/What I remember some douchy Star Wars EU nerd saying]
Old 10-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #16
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Basically I pray that they get 3-4 different storylines going, perhaps sampling some of the old republic type stuff and then tackling some of the tertiary stuff like boba fett, etc. I pray it's not going to just be a movie every 5 years or so, or some sort of trilogy continuation exclusively.

I predict child jedi school with Han and Leia's kids in a Harry Potter-type role.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #17
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Does that mean I have to do 50 hours of going back and forth to the popcorn stand and restroom before I get to the main plot

SI

Old 10-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #18
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Does that mean I have to do 50 hours of going back and forth to the popcorn stand and restroom before I get to the main plot

SI

Mostly it would mean that the first male character you meet will be incredibly obnoxious and bland.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #19
chinaski
College Prospect

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89T1LL20121030
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #20
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
No way man, if you read the extended universe novels (WHICH LUCAS AGREES ARE CANNON) then you'd know that he uses explosives to kill the sarlac and is total able to escape. Unless you want to tell me which scene you actually see him die in.

[/What I remember some douchy Star Wars EU nerd saying]

I've know but since, you know, it's not in the original movies I just want people to hear themselves saying absurd things like that over and over so maybe they'd reconsider

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-30-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #21
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I should rephrase. I hope that they are actually considering making multiple different movies based in the Star Wars universe simultaneously

Last edited by stevew : 10-30-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #22
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
I've know but since, you know, it's not in the original movies. I just want people to hear themselves saying absurd things like that over and over so maybe they'd reconsider

SI

Can't argue with that. Nothing makes me stop listening to someone quicker than offering some explanation of, "You really need to read the books from the extended universe," about a movie, game or TV show.

Sure, go ahead and tell me why Kai Lang wasn't an awful character because of something that was in the shitty Mass Effect books.

Last edited by mckerney : 10-30-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #23
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

SI

LOL. THis isn't an MMO. THey rocked the house on Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2. Even the stories of the various classes in TOR were good. Much better than anything Lucas could do. THey are good at making a story. And dialogue even.

Granted the best SW has seen is when they hired a legitimate dramatic screenwriter like Lawrence Kasdan and legit director like Irwin Kirschner.
But those 1st two games matched the power of Empire.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #24
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

STOP DESTROYING MY CHILDHOOD!
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #25
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
LOL. THis isn't an MMO. THey rocked the house on Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2. Even the stories of the various classes in TOR were good. Much better than anything Lucas could do. THey are good at making a story. And dialogue even.

Granted the best SW has seen is when they hired a legitimate dramatic screenwriter like Lawrence Kasdan and legit director like Irwin Kirschner.
But those 1st two games matched the power of Empire.

KOTOR 2, the one typically considered to have better writing of the two, was done by Obsidian.

Last edited by mckerney : 10-30-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #26
mckerney
Coordinator

I would like to know if Star Wars Angry Birds will be considered cannon for the purposes of the movie.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #27
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
KOTOR 2, the one typically considered to have better writing of the two, was done by Obsidian.

""". Much better writing - you read the amazing recap right (I linked to it in some other thread last week when we were discussing Obisidian).
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #28
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

I don't predict trilogy. I predict star wars to the end of time. Theatres will forever reserve one huge screen just for star wars.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #29
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Isn't Harrison Ford going to be in a walker by 2015? And I don't mean an AT-AT.

SI

Old 10-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #30
JediKooter
Coordinator

Not sharing any inside info, but, I see it going more like the Star Trek franchise movies. I could be totally wrong though.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #31
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Or James Bond. "Hey, Pierce Brosnan Han Solo? Weren't you played by Timothy Dalton last movie?"

SI

Old 10-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #32
JediKooter
Coordinator

Yes or that as well. That would be interesting.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #33
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I also wonder if they will own Indiana Jones
Old 10-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #34
spleen1015
Coordinator

I was the biggest Star Wars fanboy before the prequels turned me off. This brings me some excitement in my pants.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #35
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
I also wonder if they will own Indiana Jones

The Reuters article says it is part of the deal.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #36
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Hey, as long as Disney uses their newfound clout to make Han shoot first, I'm happy with this.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #37
JediKooter
Coordinator

Just heard that they are replacing the Ewoks with different versions of Goofy.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #38
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Hey, as long as Disney uses their newfound clout to make Han shoot first, I'm happy with this.

I'm willing to bet that part of the deal says they're not allowed to change what he has already done.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #39
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Isn't Harrison Ford going to be in a walker by 2015? And I don't mean an AT-AT.

SI

man you're on fire today!
Old 10-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #40
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Star Wars Episode 7: Ewoks vs Jar Jar: The Battle for Merchandizing

SI

Old 10-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #41
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Not sharing any inside info, but, I see it going more like the Star Trek franchise movies. I could be totally wrong though.

So then...female jedi masters leading things next against the evil sith queen. And C3PO gets his emotionchip.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #42
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I know that 4bn dollars is a lot of money but I think that this deal is basically a license to print money and that they will make a ton.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #43
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
I know that 4bn dollars is a lot of money but I think that this deal is basically a license to print money and that they will make a ton.

I agree. I see nothing but endless potential for the Star Wars universe now.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #44
molson
General Manager

Quote:

And has terrible as most of us think the prequels were, they did succeed in creating a whole new generation of star wars consumers. Maybe they're not quite as rabid, because there's so many other entertainment options now, but the easiest thing for parents to do is buy their kids the new star wars toy or movie.

Last edited by molson : 10-30-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #45
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
So then...female jedi masters leading things next against the evil sith queen. And C3PO gets his emotionchip.

Bingo!

Old 10-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #46
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So were episodes 2 and 3

Episodes 1-3==the recent prequels
Episodes 4-6 (as identified by the movies themselves)==the first Star Wars movies we all know and love
Episode 7 and beyond==sequels

Make sense?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #47
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Episodes 4-6 (as identified by the movies themselves)==the first Star Wars movies we all know and love

Make sense?

I think we're on Star Wars -1 tho.

Obiwan in diapers is it?
Old 10-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #48
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

Make sense?

sequel to a prequel is a sequel.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #49
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Well I'm pretty sure Hamill and Fisher word jump at a paycheck again .
Old 10-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #50
JediKooter
Coordinator

I would love to see some Old Republic story lines. Maybe not exactly what KOTOR (though I really like the games) story line is though.