Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
More sabre rattling from North Korea

I guess he wants to be remembered as Kim Jong Un and Done.

BBC News - North Korea 'plans third nuclear test'
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
molson
General Manager

Luckily, North Korea sucks at everything. If they didn't, I'm sure the U.S. reaction would be very different.

Though, I can't help but wonder if the regime could be toppled in a day or two. It's so much less complicated than the middle east. Just an isolated country of people who have been starved and abused for half a century. And most of them get just enough info now to know how different things are, for people who share their language and culture, just a few miles away.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
RainMaker
General Manager

I think the issue would be what you do with them when you're done. Tons of refugees would flow into China who probably doesn't want them. There would have to be some massive humanitarian efforts put together by a coalition of countries.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #4
molson
General Manager

I think the South is already preparing for that inevitability. They even have a "ministry of unification." It's not your ordinary refugee situation. It's the same culture, language, genetics. They wouldn't have to even go anywhere. Of course, 25 million people overnight would be quite the project. But from what I can tell, everyone assumes it will happen eventually. But ya, it can't really happen tomorrow.

Last edited by molson : 01-23-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
RainMaker
General Manager

I think it's just a big task for surrounding countries. North Korea essentially has nothing. At least with an Iraq you had a bunch of oil fields to bring in money.

One thing I'd be fascinated with is getting information on the culture inside. It's so bizarre and there will likely be some amazing stories. There is a great National Geographic documentary on Netflix about them. They send in a doctor to perform basic cataract surgery on people there. Literally hundreds of people who couldn't see can now see because of it. After the doctor removes the bandage the people praise the Great Leader for it and go into a weird trance.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #6
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Though, I can't help but wonder if the regime could be toppled in a day or two.

Depends on how much collateral damage you're willing to absorb to do that. Yeah, you probably could topple the regime in fairly short order, but they'd retaliate against South Korea the minute they tipped to any kind of movement.

Scorched earth and all that.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
Desnudo
Coordinator

Nuke em from orbit
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #8
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Depends on how much collateral damage you're willing to absorb to do that. Yeah, you probably could topple the regime in fairly short order, but they'd retaliate against South Korea the minute they tipped to any kind of movement.

Scorched earth and all that.

Absolutely, these crazy bastards don't have any regard for their own people, so despite the ease with which they could be taken down, they would likely take as many with them as possible.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
"We do not hide that the various satellites and long-range rockets we will continue to launch, as well as the high-level nuclear test we will proceed with, are aimed at our arch-enemy, the United States," KCNA quoted it as saying.

"Settling accounts with the US needs to be done with force, not with words," it added.

Merely a question of when really.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

For those that speak of the ease of a military operation. How easy?

Easier than the first Korea conflict? Easier than Afganistan? Easier than Vietnam?

In these scenerios I assume that China and Russia don't mind the US meddling in their own backyards? North Korea is part of the "axis of evil" and all right?

Last edited by panerd : 01-24-2013 at 08:31 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #11
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post

Easier than the first Korea conflict? Easier than Afganistan? Easier than Vietnam?

In these scenerios I assume that China and Russia don't mind the US meddling in their own backyards? North Korea is part of the "axis of evil" and all right?

Toppling, probably fairly easy, but it's the aftermath that would fall in line with all those operations above and not what we need or want at this point in time, another occupation that drags on for years.

China is an interesting player in this. They have reprimanded their evil little cousin in the past and they may do it again with the economic interest they have tied up in the US now, I.E our loanshark.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
MrBug708
Head Coach

It seems the middle east has a religious aspect that complicates the issue. I don't see North Korea having that same resistance that comes in a lot of other places. I also don't think North Korea is interested in arming half their population to fight building to building either.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #13
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
NK would have one hell of a first punch, but they don't have anything to follow it up with. They are counting on the fear of damage they could do in the first week or two, and then hoping China comes in to back them up like in the 50s.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #14
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

Not to mention we have no stomach to fight anymore.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #15
molson
General Manager

My sense is that North Korea would fold like a cheap lawn chair shockingly quickly. I don't think their heavy weaponry, including the nuclear arsenal, actually work. And while the military has manpower, those people aren't motivated by religion, and I don't think, even loyalty to the regime. Being in the military means you get to eat once in a while, that's it. This is a country that engages in hilarious deception and exaggeration regarding what they're doing economically, I'm sure that carries over to the military as well.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #16
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

At times like these, I always like to go and get a fair and balanced report on the situation straight from the source........

News From KOREAN CENTRAL NEWS AGENCY of DPRK
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #17
JediKooter
Coordinator

I think the problem with North Korea is the whole 'cult of personality' that is so pervasive there. Something tells me that there won't be North Koreans waving little USA flags as our tanks go rolling down their streets and would be extremely reluctant to show any disobedience to their Dear Leader. Oh there will be some, but, the majority won't. The populace there has been so brainwashed and bullied that they would probably think that any foreign invasion is really just a test of their loyalty. The thought of not going to a North Korean concentration camp is pretty motivating.

Militarily, they'd probably lose all of their air forces rather quickly or they would be so ineffective, that it just wouldn't make much of a difference. On the ground though, I think it would be a whole different ball game.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #18
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Militarily, they'd probably lose all of their air forces rather quickly or they would be so ineffective, that it just wouldn't make much of a difference. On the ground though, I think it would be a whole different ball game.

Our naval and air is so far superior that I doubt there would be much of a land aspect.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #19
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Our naval and air is so far superior that I doubt there would be much of a land aspect.

It wouldn't be if we struck first. But if they decided to launch a massive artillery barrage at South Korea, they could do some serious damage in the very beginning.

The land battle would devolve into something like what is happening in Afghanistan, but with better trained and organized troops on the NK side.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #20
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

Actually I could see a ground battle getting drawn out. The terrain is very mountainous and reminds me a lot of Afghanistan. The NK are expert tunnel diggers too. However, if there could be a total sea and air blockade (which I think would be easy, minus any outside interference), it would just be a matter of time before their land forces are 'starved out'.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 01-24-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #21
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I think the problem with North Korea is the whole 'cult of personality' that is so pervasive there. Something tells me that there won't be North Koreans waving little USA flags as our tanks go rolling down their streets and would be extremely reluctant to show any disobedience to their Dear Leader. Oh there will be some, but, the majority won't. The populace there has been so brainwashed and bullied that they would probably think that any foreign invasion is really just a test of their loyalty. The thought of not going to a North Korean concentration camp is pretty motivating.

I've always been fascinated by that aspect of North Korea, and have read a few books to get a read on it, but one thing I haven't heard anything about is the perspective of the military. But I think the "brainwashing" of the civilians is starting to break down. There are stories from defectors that gave me that impression (it is actually possible to get out through China, thousands do it every year). People rig televisions to get over the air TV signals from Seoul, word spreads (carefully), and I think the younger generation knows the deal. The older generation was more married to underlying social and economic philosophies, but they're dying out.

Last edited by molson : 01-24-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #22
Butter
Coordinator

So I guess the question is, if they actually have nukes can we really just afford to go in there guns a-blazing without essentially sacrificing a city like Seoul?

I mean, when we nuked Japan nearly 70 years ago, we hit some strategic spots, but nothing that is anywhere near a population center as Seoul is. We could be talking about death tolls in the hundreds of thousands or millions with one strike. Not to mention if they just go apeshit and have multiple nukes and could hit Tokyo or something like that.

I guess this is where we have to rely heavily on our intelligence. I feel somewhat better about the intelligence community after having seen Zero Dark Thirty, but NK is nuckin' futs. I put nothing past them.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #23
Desnudo
Coordinator

I'm fairly sure that if an army marches on its stomach, they would be dead after a week. Their logistics and supply situation have to be terrible.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #24
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
I've always been fascinated by that aspect of North Korea, and have read a few books to get a read on it, but one thing I haven't heard anything about is the perspective of the military. But I think the "brainwashing" of the civilians is starting to break down. There are stories from defectors that gave me that impression (it is actually possible to get out through China, thousands do it every year). People rig televisions to get over the air TV signals from Seoul, word spreads (carefully), and I think the younger generation knows the deal. The older generation was more married to underlying social and economic philosophies, but they're dying out.

I think that's the 'X' factor in all of it. How many will realize that this is their chance for a hopefully democratic NK compared to how many think it's a test of their loyalty. It's just really really hard to get a good gage of the possible number of North Korean resistance fighters that would join an invading army, because of how little information comes out of that place.

Personally, let them saber rattle all they want. They will eventually starve themselves out or they will piss off the wrong country and it will all take care of itself. However, if I was running the show...I'd have some of our Navy out in international waters off both coasts of North Korea and each time they launch a missile/rocket, shoot it down.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #25
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'd have some of our Navy out in international waters off both coasts of North Korea and each time they launch a missile/rocket, shoot it down.

Related:
Quote:
The rocket is also a poke in the eye for Japan, which had threatened to shoot it down but in the event wisely held its fire.

BBC News - North Korea thumbs nose at enemies
Old 01-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #26
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

that whole situation feels like it's out of a fiction novel or a comic book
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #27
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

Hey, Japan and I are on the same page.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #28
mckerney
Coordinator

Conventional weapons from North Korea may not be a problem, but aren't they believed to have a rather formidable ability to wage cyber warfare? A cyber attack on the US has the potential to be far more devastating than any military action.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #29
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Conventional weapons from North Korea may not be a problem, but aren't they believed to have a rather formidable ability to wage cyber warfare? A cyber attack on the US has the potential to be far more devastating than any military action.

I always thought that this would be the best way to go if some entity really wanted to hurt the US. Knock out the internet and knock out the financial institutions and that will bring us to our knees faster than flying planes into buildings or detonating dirty bombs.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #30
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
I always thought that this would be the best way to go if some entity really wanted to hurt the US. Knock out the internet and knock out the financial institutions and that will bring us to our knees faster than flying planes into buildings or detonating dirty bombs.

That along with the power grid and water utilities could cripple the country and is more likely than a missile from North Korea hitting us.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #31
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
That along with the power grid and water utilities could cripple the country and is more likely than a missile from North Korea hitting us.

Bingo! Totally agree with you on that.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #32
molson
General Manager

Once in my life I'd like to rattle an actual sabre.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #33
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

Sheathed or un-sheathed?

Old 01-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #34
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Hit him in the corner when his back is to you.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #35
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Hit him in the corner when his back is to you.

Pat LaFontaine won't know what hit him.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #36
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Sheathed or un-sheathed?

Honestly, whatever I can get my hands on.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #37
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Honestly, whatever I can get my hands on.

Just don't grab the fork. Fork rattling just doesn't have the same weight as rattling a saber does.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #38
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Articles like these make me wish this situation would come to a head at some level. These people really could use some help.

North Koreans Reportedly Turn to Cannibalism Due to 'Hidden Famine' - Yahoo! News
Old 02-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #39
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm guessing the royalties weren't paid for the use of this song in a video depicting an attack on the U.S. Video was released by the N. Korean gov't.......

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 02-05-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #40
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

North Korea reportedly fired off a new nuclear test bomb.

South Korea believes North Korea conducted third atomic test | Fox News
Old 02-11-2013, 11:02 PM   #41
Comey
College Starter

North Korea reminds me of Krikkit from the Hitchhiker's Guide series of books. I think that scares me considerably.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #42
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
North Korea reminds me of Krikkit from the Hitchhiker's Guide series of books. I think that scares me considerably.

Hopefully they don't come down over New York dropping robots bashing everyone with cricket bats....
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #43
Warhammer
Pro Starter

"Whop"
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #44
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Hopefully they don't come down over New York dropping robots bashing everyone with cricket bats....

Too right. Let's hope they keep working on that nuclear thingy instead! God helps us all if they get cricket bats!

Last edited by AlexB : 02-13-2013 at 11:38 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #45
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationw...rearodman.html
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #46
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

From reading quotes I don't think Rodman realizes he is in North Korea
Old 03-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #47
JediKooter
Coordinator

I think there's times where Rodman doesn't realize he's Rodman.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #48
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I think it is for the filming of a documentary for a new series "Vice" on HBO. I have a feeling the end result will be a lot different than a friendly meet and greet but since it's Dennis Rodman I guess I could be totally wrong.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #49
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I think it is for the filming of a documentary for a new series "Vice" on HBO. I have a feeling the end result will be a lot different than a friendly meet and greet but since it's Dennis Rodman I guess I could be totally wrong.

Yeah, I'm really interested to see the end product. I don't think it will be quite as fluffy as the Rodman public comments would lead you to believe.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #50
molson
General Manager

Dennis Rodman would solve all the world's problems if only we had the courage to let him.