Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #2651
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Interesting that Billy Butler is all but begging the Royals to take him back. I think Billy is one of those really good guys who feels comfortable in the Midwest. Although he could get money elsewhere, I think he's also one of those guys that isn't all that excited about facing the increased scrutiny of a coastal media market if things go south for him. Will be interesting to see if he takes a 5-6M sweetheart deal from the Royals just to avoid going elsewhere.

Nice letter in the KC Star today.

I've heard TONS of stories like this. Pretty cool.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #2652
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I wonder if said Royals fans invited the SF fan to Branson since they're all white hillbillies, right Karlifornia?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #2653
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Stark contrast to Giants fans, who, as we all know, celebrated in San Francisco after game 7 by lighting several Royals fans on fire.

I LOL'd

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-02-2014 at 02:30 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #2654
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Damn, I didn't even notice the typo until you quoted me. Damn, damn, damn!
Old 11-02-2014, 02:30 PM   #2655
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

No worries

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:24 AM   #2656
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like I may have been right about Billy Butler. KC Star reporting that Royals are looking to offer Butler a 2 year contract at between $6-8M/year. That's a lot more palatable than the $12M option they turned down. Opens up quite a bit of money for FA too.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #2657
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Royals pick up option on Wade Davis for next year. Also gave a qualifying offer to James Shields.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #2658
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Of any team out there, they have the brightest future between a bevy of prospects, a good front office, and a money making machine that should make them the Red Sox of the next decade.

But beware of prospects (of course):
Success and Failure Rates of Top MLB Prospects - Royals Review
Royals' can't-miss prospects have missed - SweetSpot Blog - ESPN
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article...-what-happened

For the "Best Farm System Ever", here's the gains for the Royals:

Hosmer and Moose, for all their postseason heroics this season have been worse than expected. Moose has a career .236 average and 1 season over 1.1 WAR. Hosmer has been worth a total (not average, total) of 2.4 Myers won ROY for Tampa last year but put up a triple slash of .222/.294/.320 this year.
Lamb (18 in 2011 BA rankings), Montgomery (19), and Dwyer (83) have combined for 3 major league innings.
The jury is still out on Colon (Utility IF so far), Duffy (Royals #3 starter this year but oft injured), and Jake Odorizzi (decent season in Tampa this year)

SI
To be fair though, while both Baez and Soler have high bust potential, Addison Russell gives them another top 10ish guy (at a certain point, one of those guys has to be good), and Kris Bryant is about as can't miss as prospects get. Very similar to Alex Gordon in that even if it takes him a couple years, he's going to be an above-average MLB hitter. Plus both Castro and Rizzo are only 25 and they look like they found a couple starters in Arrieta and Hendricks. If they do decide to spend on a front line starter (or two) they're set up pretty well to at least make a playoff run in the next 2 seasons, and their mid-long term future looks brighter than Tampa Bay's. So yeah, I hope Bucc is just trolling with that statement.

Butler's an interesting case. I'm sure he loves the Midwest, but he also had the exact opposite of a contract year. Even as a slow DH, he probably would have gotten $100 million if he hit FA after 2012. A 2 year (or 1 year + an option) contract that puts him back on the market by age 30 hopefully after he's reestablished his value is his best move. Heck, if the Red Sox didn't have DH locked up I wouldn't mind offering him an Adrian Beltre-esque $10-$12m, with a team option for year 2, and it'll be interesting if any other AL team does that if he doesn't resign with KC before FA starts.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 11-03-2014 at 01:33 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:37 PM   #2659
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I wonder if said Royals fans invited the SF fan to Branson since they're all white hillbillies, right Karlifornia?

My God, where did I say hillbillies or all white? There are black people there....the cops need someone to beat on and shoot!
Old 11-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #2660
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
My God, where did I say hillbillies or all white? There are black people there....the cops need someone to beat on and shoot!

LOL! Nicely done.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:20 PM   #2661
Dutch
"Dutch"

Fixing Rays, World Series doesn't take a brain surgeon

I wish!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:28 PM   #2662
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

Problem is that how do we know that we don't end up with the same situation in Tampa that we have in Miami: a half-billion dollar stadium that no one goes to.

I favored contraction back in the early-2000's, I still do.

Plus, I still don't see how the realignment guarantees that a couple of 80+ win teams aren't facing off in the World Series?

Last edited by BillJasper : 11-03-2014 at 09:30 PM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:32 PM   #2663
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Problem is that how do we know that we don't end up with the same situation in Tampa that we have in Miami: a half-billion dollar stadium that no one goes to.

Plus, I still don't see how the realignment guarantees that a couple of 80+ win teams aren't facing off in the World Series?

This. Pretty much all of it.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #2664
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
We move the Rays ownership group to Washington. We move the Washington ownership group to Montreal.

Quote:
Theodore N. "Ted" Lerner (born October 15, 1925 in Washington, DC) is an American real estate developer, managing principal owner of the Washington Nationals baseball team, and founder of the real estate company Lerner Enterprises, the largest private landowner in the Washington, DC area

So, the fuck is that jackass smoking?
Old 11-03-2014, 10:43 PM   #2665
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anything that gets the Phillies and Pirates back in the same division is a good start.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:44 PM   #2666
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

However his suggesting of adding two more teams is a solid one. Baseball can easily support two more teams (it can probably support way more than that). And since most of baseball revenue is local, it likely makes more sense to expand to areas that are far away from a MLB team (like Portland, Oregon or the Carolinas).
Old 11-03-2014, 10:46 PM   #2667
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
However his suggesting of adding two more teams is a solid one. Baseball can easily support two more teams (it can probably support way more than that). And since most of baseball revenue is local, it likely makes more sense to expand to areas that are far away from a MLB team (like Portland, Oregon or the Carolinas).

Or Vegas

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:56 PM   #2668
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post

Tampa would absolutely need to get the team for it to work. My guess is by putting it in the epicenter of the Tampa Bay area, it would draw somewhere between 20,000 and 30,000 a game (between 13th and 28th in the league). A similar strategy that the Bucs and Lightning use very well.

Quote:

That's great for you, but not for me!

Quote:

It would only get rid of "2nd place teams" getting in...a nod to the purists.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:25 AM   #2669
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
So, the fuck is that jackass smoking?

Yeah, the weed probably kept him away from perfection.

For as many moving parts in his "plan" I was surprised how much more positive than negative it was. But I agree with you, the Nationals moving was a weird suggestion (don't know a thing about the Orioles/Wash problems) .

But damn, just think about it. New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, Washington and Baltimore in one division? That would be a great division.

But alas, this is not going to happen and I am forced to sit here and contemplate the only real scenarios which are 1.) a new Tampa Stadium (if the Rays can get out of their lease) or 2.) a new Montreal Stadium.

Last edited by Dutch : 11-04-2014 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:42 AM   #2670
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I was actually really sad when that St. Pete stadium went down. It looked like a beautiful plan!
Old 11-04-2014, 10:01 PM   #2671
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I was actually really sad when that St. Pete stadium went down. It looked like a beautiful plan!

My personal take: Screw St. Pete!
Old 11-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #2672
MikeVic
Head Coach

Is Alfonso Soriano a HOFer?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #2673
markprior22
High School Varsity

Nope
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #2674
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Great career but I don't think so. But I'm sure he will get in some time because the HOF is the Hall of Good not Hall of great/elite/excellent.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:33 PM   #2675
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

i think he is better than some of the people in the HOF, but he wont make it.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #2676
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

Not even close.

Jim Edmonds and Carlos Beltran are both far better players that probably won't get much consideration.

Last edited by Atocep : 11-05-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:53 PM   #2677
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Not even close.

I wouldn't say that so easily. He won't make it, and shouldn't make it, but he's not someone you can just toss out with a "not even close." Had he not switched from 2b, he would likely be a first ballot inductee. He obviously did switc and will be penalized accordingly.

He will hang around on the ballot for a while I think. I would not vote for him but I think he will get a lot of votes when his time comes.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:14 PM   #2678
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I wouldn't say that so easily. He won't make it, and shouldn't make it, but he's not someone you can just toss out with a "not even close." Had he not switched from 2b, he would likely be a first ballot inductee. He obviously did switc and will be penalized accordingly.

He will hang around on the ballot for a while I think. I would not vote for him but I think he will get a lot of votes when his time comes.

He compiled a WAR of 14.7 in 5 full seasons as a second baseman. He was absolutely terrible defensively there and didn't have any business there to begin with. I don't think him staying there would change much of anything.

Every year the committee gains a slightly better understanding of advanced stats. 30 years ago he would have had a chance. 5 years from now? I just don't see a low OBP guy that hit a lot of home runs going very far on the ballot when there will be much better options hanging around.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:41 PM   #2679
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I don't think the "had he not switched from 2B" is as relevant as "had he not left the New York Yankees" in this discussion .