Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-31-2014, 03:08 PM   #351
JPhillips
General Manager

Ouch. Poor Cubs catcher just took a foul to the nuts.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:11 PM   #352
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Runs are a tad tough to come by in Pittsburgh today. 0-0 going into the 10th.

And that nutshot was painful to watch.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 03-31-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:12 PM   #353
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Runs are a tad tough to come by in Pittsburgh today. 0-0 going into the 10th.

And that nutshot was painful to watch.

They are all down in Texas. 9-8 Phillies over the Rangers through 5.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:14 PM   #354
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This Mets pen is going to be brutal all season. The way Valverde looked today Collins needs to think about making him closer until Parnells velocity improves.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:15 PM   #355
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Not sure how you can expect to make the playoffs with Travis Ishikawa and Travis Snider in the lineup. Sorry poster Travis, but I'd love it if my team had 0 guys named Travis on it by the end of April.

So far today:

Pirates named Travis: 2 for 6, 1 BB,

Pirates not named Travis: 3 for 23 2 BB

Maybe you should rethink that strategy.

It's opening day/week, you can make foolproof determinations based off of opening day. EVERYONE knows that.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:17 PM   #356
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
It's opening day/week, you can make foolproof determinations based off of opening day. EVERYONE knows that.

Jimmy Rollins is on pace for 162 grand slams this season.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:25 PM   #357
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

See, back to MVP form. Again, this is the best time to make assumptions. It's boring when they actually have 200 a bats. You want to make them on a 3 to 5 at bat sample to ensure the highest degree of accuracy possible.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:34 PM   #358
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So far today:

Pirates named Travis: 2 for 6, 1 BB,

Pirates not named Travis: 3 for 23 2 BB

Maybe you should rethink that strategy.

Hey, I'm willing to tolerate a guy named Neil in Pittsburgh again if he hits game winning homers.

And is Francisco Liriano going to get paid this offseason? Or is he better off taking the QO should the pirates offer? I wonder if he'd get a multiyear contract with compensation attached to him.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:47 PM   #359
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

I'll put $20 on the over.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:43 PM   #360
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
NATS will win 162

The dream is still alive!!
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:53 PM   #361
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Billy Hamilton looks lost out there.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:07 PM   #362
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Billy Hamilton looks lost out there.

So does the entire Reds offense. Going to be a long .500 season for them this year.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:25 PM   #363
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
So does the entire Reds offense. Going to be a long .500 season for them this year.

I'm higher on the Reds than most. I don't see .500 with that pitching staff. Wainwright gets going and he's tough to hit for anyone. I think they'll be find and he central will be a three team race for most of the year.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:35 PM   #364
JPhillips
General Manager

I don't think it will make the Reds a lot better, but I was tickled to death to see Price employ shifts.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:50 PM   #365
cartman
Death Herald

I've seen this Rangers team before. They tag Cliff Lee for 8 runs in 5 innings, but lose 14-10.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:24 PM   #366
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Aaaaaaaaand in news that surprises no one, the Boston media has already started to scapegoat AJ Pierzynski (for not taking enough pitches?!?) and say we should've re-signed Saltalamachia. Good thing for Grady Sizemore he hit a home run, or they'd be ranting about Ellsbury.

The Sizemore stuff is really exciting though. He legitimately looks to be back near his MVP vote getting self of a few years ago. If he can play 130 games at that level, that will pretty much cover up for any regression from Napoli and Victorino.

WMB has also looked to have a much improved plate approach this spring (and got contacts after he got his eyes checked ). I'm not buying into it until he keeps that approach up for half a season, but it's encouraging, and it's not like we can get any less production out of 3B this season.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:10 PM   #367
Subby
lolzcat

Nice to see the Nats nut up and actually come back from a real deficit. I think it took them umpteen number of games last year before that happened.

Strasburg started off slow, but man he looked scary in the last three innings. Slider he has now is almost unfair.

What's the over under on number of games until Parnell loses the closer job? The Nats announcers were harping on how bad his velocity is.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:17 AM   #368
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The official scorer in the Giants/Diamondbacks game was on crack. There were at least four more errors in that game.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:52 AM   #369
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm higher on the Reds than most. I don't see .500 with that pitching staff. Wainwright gets going and he's tough to hit for anyone. I think they'll be find and he central will be a three team race for most of the year.

Yeah, Hamilton going 0-4 against Adam Wainwright isn't what I'd call shocking. The team as a whole only managed 3 hits yesterday on him, so he wasn't the only one struggling. As long as he doesn't let one game define his season, this shouldn't be a major setback.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:55 AM   #370
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

It's Wacha Wacha time today!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:09 AM   #371
Butter
Coordinator

Hopefully he shows up ready to pitch today. Really early. And goes out to the bullpen and gets all warmed up. Today. Long before anyone gets to the ballpark. No one will probably be there, but he shouldn't worry about that. You gotta get good and loose before a start. Especially today's start.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:26 AM   #372
TroyF
Coordinator

So I got home last night just in time to watch the opening pitch of the Angels game. Vlad Guererro throw it to Don Baylor. Baylor who is squating on home plate bends down a little for a low ball and his leg bends under him and snaps. What the hell is it about home plate in Anaheim?

Trout blasts a ball over the wall in the first. Then Felix settles down and the M's offense goes to work with 7 extra base hits and 8 walks. Smoak is a clear cut MVP candidate this year based on that performance.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:35 AM   #373
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

Tomorrow right?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:45 AM   #374
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

I loved the last episode I saw of that
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:30 AM   #375
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Tomorrow right?

LOL.. yes.. I'm all messed up today..
Old 04-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #376
JPhillips
General Manager

Don Baylor broke his leg catching the ceremonial first pitch.

The video is not for the squeamish.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/don-bay...2071--spt.html
Old 04-01-2014, 10:36 AM   #377
TroyF
Coordinator

See above. Saw it in real time and it was horrible.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:00 AM   #378
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
See above. Saw it in real time and it was horrible.

That is horrible.. wow crazy..
Old 04-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #379
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
What's the over under on number of games until Parnell loses the closer job? The Nats announcers were harping on how bad his velocity is.
Umm.

AdamKilgoreWP12:04pm via web
RT @MartinoNYDN: Mets announce Bobby Parnell has a partial tear of MCL ligament in elbow. Scouts were right to be alarmed about something.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 04-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #380
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post

I saw this post yesterday and was going to joke "0.5 and I'll take the under".

Mets' Parnell has partially torn elbow ligament - Yahoo Sports

Last edited by Logan : 04-01-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #381
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So I got home last night just in time to watch the opening pitch of the Angels game. Vlad Guererro throw it to Don Baylor. Baylor who is squating on home plate bends down a little for a low ball and his leg bends under him and snaps. What the hell is it about home plate in Anaheim?

Before the Angels won the title in 2002, there were a lot of rumors going around about the Angels being a cursed franchise, based on the close calls that wouldn't pan out and the bad luck (losing a 13 game lead in August in 1995, Hendu in 1986, up two games in the ALCS in 1982 before losing, the Lyman Bostock murder, the bus crash in the early 90s, weird timed injuries like Mo Vaughn's dugout tumble in his first game as an Angel, etc.). The rumor back then was that Angel Stadium is built on old Indian graveyard.

So maybe that's it lol.

On a more serious note, I hope Baylor comes back in good shape. What terrible luck. Nice to see Vladdy (who threw the first pitch to Baylor) come back and sign a one-day contract to retire as an Angel.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #382
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Before the Angels won the title in 2002, there were a lot of rumors going around about the Angels being a cursed franchise, based on the close calls that wouldn't pan out and the bad luck (losing a 13 game lead in August in 1995, Hendu in 1986, up two games in the ALCS in 1982 before losing, the Lyman Bostock murder, the bus crash in the early 90s, weird timed injuries like Mo Vaughn's dugout tumble in his first game as an Angel, etc.). The rumor back then was that Angel Stadium is built on old Indian graveyard.

So maybe that's it lol.

On a more serious note, I hope Baylor comes back in good shape. What terrible luck. Nice to see Vladdy (who threw the first pitch to Baylor) come back and sign a one-day contract to retire as an Angel.

Then get Trout out of there now. Please. For the good of mankind. I don't want to see him become a Yankee or Dodger, but if that has to happen, so be it. Just get him away from the cursed structure so I can watch him play for the next couple of decades, k, thx.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:53 PM   #383
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Then get Trout out of there now. Please. For the good of mankind. I don't want to see him become a Yankee or Dodger, but if that has to happen, so be it. Just get him away from the cursed structure so I can watch him play for the next couple of decades, k, thx.

Well, really, after the title in 2002, we didn't really have any bad luck until the weird Kendrys Morales homerun trot that broke his ankle, and then last night. So I am not yet ready to chalk this one up to anything besides coincidence.

I am planning to enjoy watching Trout play for two decades, just like you.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #384
MrBug708
Head Coach

Ian Kennedy going headhunting tonight
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:23 PM   #385
lungs
Pro Rookie

I dedicate that Carlos Gomez home run against the Braves to JIMGA

edit: oops, I talk shit and he hits into a rally killing double play.

Last edited by lungs : 04-01-2014 at 07:44 PM.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #386
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

So as noted from my other thread, I went to the Angels-Mariners game last night. Some interesting things happened.

First of all, the Angels serve a huge bowl of nachos in a batting helmet. It's a cheapie batting helmet, but it still fits over a grown adult man's head (I know, I confirmed this), so we're talking a lot of nachos. It seems that this is a popular item. After seeing them, we of course had to get one. Since there were four of us, all with Mike Trout bobbleheads which were ripe for the sniping, only two of us left our seats to get the nachos and other food items. I was one of those two. The other was my roommate Joe, who is a great guy, but primarily went with me so he could get more beer. That left me to deal primarily with the foodstuffs. So I get up to the counter (after a long wait in line), and I order three sodas, four hot dogs and the nachos. For the nachos, the girl helping me comes back with a small tray with a bag of Tostitos and two glops of cold cheese sauce in the two cups on the tray.

These aren't the nachos I was looking for. I ask her where we can get them and she says over there and waves her hand to our left (i.e. somewhere down the concourse, who knows how far). We buy the Tostitos nachos anyway because Joe says he wants those nachos with his beer. But we still want the helmet nachos.

So we go looking for the source of the helmet nachos and after asking around, we finally find the place over near the LF foul pole end of the concourse. This is quite far from our RF bleacher seats. And there were, I kid you not, 100 people or more in line to get these nachos. So I get in line for the nachos. I have missed over an inning of play. Joe is still with me, but he doesn't care, he has beer.

We get to about 15 spots away from getting our nachos when they run out of nacho cheese. I watch an interesting dilemma develop. Nachos must have nacho cheese. It's a rule, I am pretty sure. Normally, the end of the cheese would be the end of the nachos. We're told a new batch of cheese will be ready in 10-15 minutes. Most people would walk away at this point. But such was the draw of the helmet nachos and the time commitment we all had already made waiting to get the nachos that most of us stayed and waited. The hostility was palpable--you could kinda see the counter guys in the nacho shack looking out their window with a backward lean, like they thought we might jump in at any moment and beat the bejeezus out of them.

The cheese was eventually ready and I finally got the long awaited helmet nachos--and the cheese was cold. At this point, I just don't care about the quality of the nachos. As I said later to my friends at the seats, it wasn't about the helmet nachos anymore, it was about the mission to get the nachos. Mission accomplished. They were mediocre. I missed three innings.

Next interesting event... As I said, I am in the RF bleachers, which is a nice very open spot. If you have seen homeruns going out of Angel stadium, you know that the RF bleachers are on top of a fairly high wall, around 15 feet at the top of the fence and rising sharply from there. So it feels really wide open and you have a raised view of the game. Some drunk guy decided this was the scene he would use for a marriage proposal. It appears he had a sign asking his GF to marry him, but he needed a TV camera to focus on him during the game. Yes, this was his plan (apparently). So he gets up (he was seated up near the front) and starts screaming at all the RF bleachers to make a ruckus or do something to draw the TV cameras to us. I'm not sure exactly what he wanted us to do. But I guess we didn't do it, because he got more and more loud and desperate. Security came down and escorted him out. As he walked past my seat, I heard him say, "My GF WILL marry me!!!" Quite the catch. My best wishes to the prospective couple.

And then the main event of the night... Two homeruns were hit into the RF bleachers last night, both by Mariners. The first time was in the 6th inning or thereabouts, and when the fan caught the ball, the RF bleacher crowd implored and catcalled him into throwing the ball back out onto the field. After he did that, the stadium roared its approval and we all moved on. The second one came in the 8th inning. This one actually came pretty close to where we were seated, and was caught by a fairly tall guy in his late 20s-early 30s (the ball smacked too, I'll bet it hurt catching that). Again, the catcalls came, but the ball catcher resisted and pocketed the ball. He walked back to his seat where he gave the ball to his son. Okay, makes sense. He was still booed, but whatever, we were losing 8-3, what do you expect. So this guy walks down a couple minutes later, looked like late 40s-early 50s. He stands near the ball catcher and his kid, who is seated about ten rows down from me and my friends, on the other side of the aisle from us (we had aisle seats). He makes motions to others to make sure that was the guy, and then he says something to the ball catcher, who stands up. This drunk asshole is actually confronting the ball catcher about not throwing the ball back. Are you kidding me? The ball catcher is younger and taller and could obliterate this blithering drunk, but he holds back, since his son is right there. So my friend Joe, he of the beer, decides to help. He gets up, walks down the aisle and pushes the drunk antagoniser. By this point, my face is in my hands. I know I have to go back him up.

Fortunately, a couple others have also gotten up, and the drunk can't get back at Joe, who is talking crap while walking back up to our seats. Security guys were on their way down and I figured Joe would be kicked out (and us with him). That didn't happen, just the drunk was kicked out. But, in any case, yeah, that happened.

So it was an interesting night at the ballpark lol. Sorry for running long, so I hope the story is worth it.

Moral to the story: Don't get helmet nachos.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 04-02-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #387
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

That should have been the finale of How I Met Your Mother.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #388
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- I wonder how close we are to alcohol sales and consumption being monitered MUCH closer at sporting events given all the incidents of late. I mean, going up to a guy because he wanted a ball for his kid, sickening.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #389
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
dola- I wonder how close we are to alcohol sales and consumption being monitered MUCH closer at sporting events given all the incidents of late. I mean, going up to a guy because he wanted a ball for his kid, sickening.

Yeah, it was nuts. I actually thought the guy was going to crack a joke with him or just shake his hand for resisting the masses and keeping the ball. Who leaps to the conclusion that he's actually going to confront the guy about it? Crazy.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #390
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Sounds like a hell of a time.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #391
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I find it sad that we didn't have a Seinfeld episode where George refuses to throw a HR ball back.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #392
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

I've been going to baseball games my entire life and have never caught a foul ball or homerun ball of any kind. I get one, I'm keeping it. I don't give a damn about anyone getting angry about it.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #393
TroyF
Coordinator

I know after typing this, the first hits will happen, but the Brewers/Braves game has gone 5 innings without either team getting a hit.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #394
Subby
lolzcat

They'll boot you from Nats Park for throwing a ball back on the field.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #395
lungs
Pro Rookie

Double no-hitter into the seventh in Milwaukee vs Atlanta
Old 04-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #396
lungs
Pro Rookie

I jinx the Crew, Harang next?

Edit: yup, jinxed both

Last edited by lungs : 04-02-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #397
mckerney
Coordinator

This might be the greatest thing in baseball history.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:48 PM   #398
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

LOL!!
Old 04-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #399
Subby
lolzcat

Second greatest.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #400
bronconick
College Starter

Brad Ausmus is 2-2 on challenges. Today.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote