Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

OMG I just finished watching all 5 seasons of The Wire and it was...okay

Well, better than okay, but given the ridiculous amount of praise the series has received, I was - probably mistakenly - expecting to be blown away by most of it. I wasn't.

Don't get me wrong, it was very good, but it just doesn't stack up against the likes of Homeland or Breaking Bad.

The only truly emotional moment of the series for me was when Bubs finally got to go upstairs for dinner. There were plenty of "holy shit" moments, "I never saw that coming" moments, and a few "that's so depressingly sad" moments, but nothing really took hold of me and shook me.

Great drama series? I'll give you that.

Greatest drama series? I don't see it.

Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

Helping folks out here:

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
path12
Coordinator

Your opinion is wrong and you should feel bad.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
Jas_lov
College Starter

The Wire is definitely above Homeland which is only through 2 seasons. It's right up there with Breaking Bad and Mad Men so you're crazy. There are plenty of emotional scenes throughout the series. You simply don't know what you're talking about.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Helping folks out here:

"". . Greatest show ever.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 03-11-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
Logan
Head Coach

If you've seen Homeland season 2 and still feel that way, you should be committed.

I love Breaking Bad (watched all 4.5 seasons in about 6 weeks) but where it falls short IMO is in the plausibility sense and in not going into as much depth with the non-regulars in the cast. From a pure entertainment perspective, yeah I can see people preferring BB to The Wire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Helping folks out here:

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
Logan
Head Coach

And I know David Simon got a lot of shit for his comments around this, but The Wire isn't a show that should be binge-watched like so many others. Give it time and appreciate it without just jumping to the next one.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
Critch
lolzcat

I've only ever seen ads for Homeland, but even I know you are totally wrong.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
Pyser
Pro Rookie

hype + passage of time = "it was okay"

4 years ago it was amazing. if i watched it today, i would completely agree that its "good". but not "best show ever".
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #11
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

'Nuff said.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #12
spleen1015
Coordinator

I started watching season 5 On Saturday. I haven't watched it since it originally aired.

2 of the best scenes in the series happened in back to back episodes.

First you have Chris and Snoop torturing Butchie to get info on Marlow and then the scene where Marlow shows up to kill Prop Joe. Top shelf tv drama right there.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #13
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I think the Wire gets more love because it was never an awards nominee and HBO was always debating whether to give it another season. I watch and enjoy all the shows described (Homeland, Breaking Bad...) but these all won awards and weren't on the brink of cancellation. Most fans of the Wire (at least when it was still in the air) couldn't believe the disrespect it seemed to get from both audiences and the Emmys. (End of its run ER and 24 were repeatatly nominated for best drama during its run and Sex and the City and Six Feet Under we're huge ratings earners ) I think the huge amount of praise you describe is the exact opposite of what was happening during its actual run.

Last edited by panerd : 03-11-2013 at 09:11 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #14
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
And I know David Simon got a lot of shit for his comments around this, but The Wire isn't a show that should be binge-watched like so many others. Give it time and appreciate it without just jumping to the next one.
I think you're right. All day long yesterday and last night I found myself thinking of the characters and how they had evolved from the beginning. I may be turning around; ask me again in a week or two.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #15
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I think you're right. All day long yesterday and last night I found myself thinking of the characters and how they had evolved from the beginning. I may be turning around; ask me again in a week or two.

I have to ask you? You started this thread man!

Old 03-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #16
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I remember being so excited about Treme. I don't think I could even finish the pilot.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #17
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I remember being so excited about Treme. I don't think I could even finish the pilot.

I love Treme, but you have to either live in New Orleans or be DEEPLY interested in New Orleans to enjoy it. The Wire has much more general appeal (though it's also just a better show).
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #18
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
I love Treme, but you have to either live in New Orleans or be DEEPLY interested in New Orleans to enjoy it. The Wire has much more general appeal (though it's also just a better show).

I love Treme as well but you could be right as to why because New Orleans is one of my very favorite cities.

What I really enjoy about Treme is that it takes it's time telling small stories and you don't get that a lot these days.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #19
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post

I love New Orleans and lived there for a period, but I think the show missed capturing what was special about the city to me - the humor, the people, cooking, etc.. Maybe it was the actors. I don't know.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #20
Logan
Head Coach

I pained my way through season 1, then gave up...and finally got through season 2 a while later back when I had nothing else to watch and plenty of free time. It was just too much of a chore.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #21
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 01:07 PM   #22
JPhillips
General Manager

Old 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM   #23
Mota
College Benchwarmer

For those who have watched it, has it aged well?

Right now I'm watching Yellowstone/1883, The Bear, Fargo, and these are all very good shows. TV has really improved in the last 10 years!

I have The Wire on my list and have been interested in watching West Wing as well.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 04:00 PM   #24
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Still have no interest in watching it
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 04:01 PM   #25
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post

Right now I'm watching Yellowstone/1883, The Bear, Fargo, and these are all very good shows. TV has really improved in the last 10 years!

I have The Wire on my list and have been interested in watching West Wing as well.
It does, but you have to watch it as a period piece now. Much of the technology that was the basis for the show is very outdated now. Still, the show is excellent. Well written and acted.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 05:03 PM   #26
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post

It holds up pretty well. What GrandDawg says is true about recognizing it as a period piece. The final season feels so outdated now that most local newspapers are just completely gutted and not doing much investigative work.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 05:04 PM   #27
RainMaker
General Manager

Also, while it's still very good, it's not at the level we once viewed it. I think that's just because so much good TV has come along over the years.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 10:03 AM   #28
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
It is in my head canon that Wallace survived the shooting, waited for Bodie and Poot to leave, crawled out, got help, then took up boxing after he recovered and became Adonis Creed.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote