Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-24-2016, 09:41 PM   #301
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Baseball is a thinking persons game. The National League end of game strategy and even early game strategy options are far more interesting than watching a 240 pound linebacker swing for the fences IMO.

The managers of a NL team have numerous decisions each game that can decide the game. An AL manager has to set the lineup and decide when to make a pitching change. Pretty basic stuff. Uninteresting.

Couldn't disagree more. Especially after the last season where the Royals for the first time in a couple decades had a legitimate DH.

We went to two of the Royals/Cards games in STL this past year. I felt like I was at a NFL game. With the inning breaks and all the pitching change commercial breaks, it was awful. I guess I should correct myself. It was great the night we were in the suite and I got a free beer/nacho at every break. It sucked when I was sitting in the regular seats in the other game and was nearly falling asleep with nothing to drink.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:58 PM   #302
JPhillips
General Manager

Luckily 538 has looked at this. Interleague games in NL parks are indeed longer, from 13-15 seconds longer. I can see how that, spread over nine innings, would make the game intolerable.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:09 PM   #303
MrBug708
Head Coach

I watched a Royals game on tv last year. They lost. They must suck. Because I base my opinions on how I feel and a totally random snapshot based on nothing but baseless assertions
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:20 PM   #304
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The DH is an abomination, plain & simple. Always has been, always will be.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:21 PM   #305
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I watched a Royals game on tv last year. They lost. They must suck. Because I base my opinions on how I feel and a totally random snapshot based on nothing but baseless assertions

It's understandable that you lost interest. The west coast fans had nothing to root for after the LDS rounds.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:25 PM   #306
MrBug708
Head Coach

I knew what it was like to be a Missouri fan I guess. With more success.

If you are going to troll l, pick more than the stupid my team won so I'll act like an asshat, routine.

But I get it, you aren't used to winning so class isn't to be expected

Last edited by MrBug708 : 01-24-2016 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:27 PM   #307
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Of course it doesn't, but if these NL idiots really want to pay good money to see their pitchers hit, they have every right to continue to do so.

Name calling? Really?
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:36 PM   #308
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
Name calling? Really?

He was trolling. That's Mr. Bug's thing. That's fine. Just don't pretend to want a legitimate discussion if you do so.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:40 PM   #309
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
He was trolling. That's Mr. Bug's thing. That's fine. Just don't pretend to want a legitimate discussion if you do so.

Some people still like the traditional aspect in baseball and dont need it turned into an arcade game. The "true" game gets ruined because our society has no patience and needs instant gratification. Apparently all sports need to be high scoring or Americans dont have the attention span to watch. Its annoying! Make defense harder and make offense easier is the American sports motto.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:46 PM   #310
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Some people still like the traditional aspect in baseball and dont need it turned into an arcade game. The "true" game gets ruined because our society has no patience and needs instant gratification. Apparently all sports need to be high scoring or Americans dont have the attention span to watch. Its annoying! Make defense harder and make offense easier is the American sports motto.

You don't need the pitcher hitting to suppress your way into a 'good game'. There's plenty of pitching duels in the AL and they're even more impressive because they're facing the best batters in the world, not eight batters and a guy who doesn't have a clue how to handle a piece of wood.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:55 PM   #311
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You don't need the pitcher hitting to suppress your way into a 'good game'. There's plenty of pitching duels in the AL and they're even more impressive because they're facing the best batters in the world, not eight batters and a guy who doesn't have a clue how to handle a piece of wood.

Why not DH for the crappy hitting SS or the catcher with a great glove that hits 230 also?

Why not change the NBA to old style Iowa girls HS 3 on 3 basketball with 3 players that only play offense and 3 players the never cross half court that only play defense? Lets just cover up a players flaws and pretend they dont exist so we can see more offense.

The best hitter of all time started out as a pitcher. If a team wants to spend the time and resources teaching their pitchers to be decent with the bat they have the athletic ability to do so. All of them great Braves teams of the 90s had pitchers that could do good things with the bat. Of course, all of the pitchers had great focus and mental preparation. Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz..... The organization should spend more time teaching these pitchers how to be effective with the bat rather than taking the auto out.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-24-2016 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:03 PM   #312
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

I can never tell if you are intenationally being obtuse or not. He was calling you out for name calling NL fans for being idiots. Where you proceeded to being intellectually dishonest and assigned my name to a comment where you responded to someone else. I'm just waiting for you to drop a "my dad can beat your dad up" troll hack job

But it's part for course for you. The other sports threads are refreshingly nice without your awful takes. It's a shame the Royals had to be good where now the rest of us have to sit through your "hot takes" where you assign random anecdotal stories and pass it off as some revelation. Like you did with how you attended an NL game and it was boring. I'm assuming it's safe to say you didn't watch a Royals road WS game ? Well you probably did but that raises that whole intellectual dishonesty thing. Again.

And I'm glad you reacted how you did. Now you know how we feel on your opinions.*

*sorry to speak for all fans

Last edited by MrBug708 : 01-24-2016 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:07 PM   #313
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Why not DH for the crappy hitting SS or the catcher with a great glove that hits 230 also?

Why not change the NBA to old style Iowa girls HS 3 on 3 basketball with 3 players that only play offense and 3 players the never cross half court that only play defense? Lets just cover up a players flaws and pretend they dont exist so we can see more offense.

The best hitter of all time started out as a pitcher. If a team wants to spend the time and resources teaching their pitchers to be decent with the bat they have the athletic ability to do so. All of them great Braves teams of the 90s had pitchers that could do good things with the bat. Of course, all of them pitchers had great focus and mental preparation. Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz..... The organization should spend more time teaching these pitchers how to be effective with the bat rather than taking the auto out.

Really just need the homerun derby to decide it all.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:23 PM   #314
PilotMan
Head Coach

The DH is so stupid. Yeah, let's let a guy play who isn't really playing.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:31 PM   #315
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
The organization should spend more time teaching these pitchers how to be effective with the bat rather than taking the auto out.

That's never going to happen. The cost/benefit simply isn't there in the NL. They're left to watch poor hitters at the bottom of the lineup as long as the DH isn't implemented.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:39 PM   #316
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

The best hitter of all time started out as a pitcher. If a team wants to spend the time and resources teaching their pitchers to be decent with the bat they have the athletic ability to do so. All of them great Braves teams of the 90s had pitchers that could do good things with the bat. Of course, all of the pitchers had great focus and mental preparation. Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz..... The organization should spend more time teaching these pitchers how to be effective with the bat rather than taking the auto out.

Very well said.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:52 PM   #317
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That's never going to happen. The cost/benefit simply isn't there in the NL. They're left to watch poor hitters at the bottom of the lineup as long as the DH isn't implemented.

As a Royals fan you should know better than anyone how something like this that has been overlooked can turn around a franchise. The Royals have found cost cutting ways(good defensive players, overlooked flyball pitchers) that were undervalued to help them win. Certainly there must be some value in either training pitchers to be more effective hitters or signing pitchers that are better with the bat as teams dont seem to want to focus on this.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-25-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:25 AM   #318
stevew
Hall Of Famer

No idea why the 25th guy on a NL team isn't someone who can pinch hit, play a few innings in the field on occasion and throw a few meaningless innings on occasion. Surely there have to be some AAAA type guys who could do this or work at it. Especially if they're left handed. Also why aren't AAAA guys trying the knuckleball more often?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:58 AM   #319
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Also why aren't AAAA guys trying the knuckleball more often?

Because there really aren't THAT many catchers who can handle it reliably for one thing.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:01 AM   #320
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

So why not advocate for MLB going to an NFL style game, IE an offense and a defense? You claim they are facing the best batters in the world, but are they? Have a whole offense made of only hitters and you will be right. But until that light hitting defensive wizard is replaced it's not true.

Defense suffers too by making all position players bat. Why must poor defenders spoil the game and take the field?

How many guys never get a chance to play in the show because all they have is a glove? How many Ozzies have we missed seeing over the years due to this stupid rule that position players have to bat?

As for me I prefer NO DH and am fine with each league having their own rule. If it were changed the AL should go back to no DH IMHO.

Others, like you, prefer the DH, fair enough. But if you support the DH then why not for all positions? I understand the argument will be pitchers are obviously poor hitters overall and need to be replaced in the lineup. What is the argument that supports a guy with the best glove in the world is never going to play because he has can't hit?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:45 AM   #321
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
So why not advocate for MLB going to an NFL style game, IE an offense and a defense? You claim they are facing the best batters in the world, but are they? Have a whole offense made of only hitters and you will be right. But until that light hitting defensive wizard is replaced it's not true.

Defense suffers too by making all position players bat. Why must poor defenders spoil the game and take the field?

How many guys never get a chance to play in the show because all they have is a glove? How many Ozzies have we missed seeing over the years due to this stupid rule that position players have to bat?

As for me I prefer NO DH and am fine with each league having their own rule. If it were changed the AL should go back to no DH IMHO.

Others, like you, prefer the DH, fair enough. But if you support the DH then why not for all positions? I understand the argument will be pitchers are obviously poor hitters overall and need to be replaced in the lineup. What is the argument that supports a guy with the best glove in the world is never going to play because he has can't hit?

I agree with your last comment. The current rule takes some of the strategy out of the DH rule. I'd prefer that the DH be for any one fielder, not just the pitcher. Then you can still have your good hitting pitcher in the lineup if you really want to do so without sacrificing the benefit of the DH in the lineup.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:54 AM   #322
JPhillips
General Manager

I'm supportive of allowing a pinch hitter for Billy Hamilton.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:27 PM   #323
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I agree with your last comment. The current rule takes some of the strategy out of the DH rule. I'd prefer that the DH be for any one fielder, not just the pitcher. Then you can still have your good hitting pitcher in the lineup if you really want to do so without sacrificing the benefit of the DH in the lineup.

The entire concept of the DH is rule is to eliminate strategy. Slow pitch softball could slowly phase out the need for any strategy and let us watch more runs/home runs.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:40 PM   #324
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'm supportive of allowing a pinch hitter for Billy Hamilton.

I've read this twice today. Each time I laughed.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:58 PM   #325
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
No idea why the 25th guy on a NL team isn't someone who can pinch hit, play a few innings in the field on occasion and throw a few meaningless innings on occasion. Surely there have to be some AAAA type guys who could do this or work at it. Especially if they're left handed. Also why aren't AAAA guys trying the knuckleball more often?

Brooks Kieschnick was a favorite of mine for a few years.

I'll come out on the side of the DH in the NL. The strategy angle is overrated IMO. I don't enjoy watching pitchers hit. I'm far from a traditionalist. My favorite NL team has a guy signed for the next five years that is already becoming a defensive liability. Yeah, bring on the DH, please.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:58 PM   #326
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred says no foreseeable change to designated hitter rule coming
Old 01-26-2016, 07:17 AM   #327
frnk55
High School Varsity

Good! I think in a few years it will though. Just wait till the next pitcher gets hurt this year.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:29 PM   #328
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Greg Bird out for the year with a torn labrum

Bad for a guy that has a really good eye and some power and who I think will become a pretty great player.

Good from the standpoint of him basically having nowhere to play all season anyways.

Yankees better hope that Teix doesn't take his typical 1-2 month injury/slump break this season.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:15 PM   #329
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Sweet new billboard in KC. Getting fired up.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:25 PM   #330
MrBug708
Head Coach

Are the royals signing a Gatorade jug?
Old 02-02-2016, 08:51 AM   #331
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

As long as he's a team player.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:54 AM   #332
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
He does have a pretty good championship pedigree
Old 02-02-2016, 12:08 PM   #333
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

There a lot of players still unsigned with only 2 weeks or so until spring training begins. Yovanni Gallardo, Dexter Fowler, Ian Desmond, Tyler Clippard, Matt Latos, Lincecum, Rollins, Alex Rios. At least a couple of these late signing are probably going to end up as great bargains for some team.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:05 PM   #334
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Ouch. Thanks to ESPN moving the season opener, the Royals are now raising the flag before the first game and handing out the rings at the second game. Double the pain for the Mets.

Royals will raise World Series flag on opening night but won’t hand out rings | The Kansas City Star
Old 02-03-2016, 04:08 PM   #335
Logan
Head Coach

I imagine they'll only be in pain if the KC stadium visiting clubhouse is subpar.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:39 PM   #336
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I imagine they'll only be in pain if the KC stadium visiting clubhouse is subpar.

It should be fine. The champagne bottles were emptied in the Mets' stadium visiting clubhouse.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:28 PM   #337
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

More info on the repercussions of the settlement for the MLB.tv lawsuit:

MLB.tv's baseball subscription is $20 cheaper after lawsuit
Quote:
As part of the proposed settlement, the cost of a full MLB.tv subscription was reduced $20 down to $110/year for 2016. What's more, MLB can only raise the price of the service 3 percent per year through 2020.

Quote:
agreeing to offer MLB.tv single-team packages priced at $85 a year.

Quote:
As part of the settlement, the league has to work with television networks to reach an agreement that allows in-market streaming on MLB.tv before 2017. If a deal isn't done by then, the league is prohibited from raising subscription rates until 2020.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:27 PM   #338
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

dont care so much about the rates...care about the fact i need to pay out the ass for cable to watch baseball!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:51 PM   #339
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
dont care so much about the rates...care about the fact i need to pay out the ass for cable to watch baseball!

Why? Just get MLB.tv
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:42 PM   #340
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Why? Just get MLB.tv

cant watch the local team then.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:19 PM   #341
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Sure you can - just get used to watching every game a day after it happens - a bit annoying but then you can watch all the games you want. That's what I do.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:35 PM   #342
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Sure you can - just get used to watching every game a day after it happens - a bit annoying but then you can watch all the games you want. That's what I do.

ew
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:26 PM   #343
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Jenrry Mejia of New York Mets suspended permanently by MLB for third positive PED test
Old 02-12-2016, 06:31 PM   #344
JPhillips
General Manager

My lord, how dumb is this guy. Even if he wasn't as good without juice, he'd still collect a few million before failing out of the game. Now he'll be lucky to get a coaching job in the DSL.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:07 PM   #345
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I feel like we've been through this scenario before..........

Baseball Prospectus
Old 02-16-2016, 12:26 PM   #346
JPhillips
General Manager

I'll take the under on Cincy's 74 wins.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:38 PM   #347
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I feel like we've been through this scenario before..........

Baseball Prospectus

Based off statistics and formulas. Why would you expect a big change with much of the team the same?
Old 02-16-2016, 09:49 PM   #348
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Based off statistics and formulas. Why would you expect a big change with much of the team the same?

I don't. Given the prediction of 76 wins by the computer just like last year, I expect 98 wins......just like last year.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:47 AM   #349
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Rangers are doing a pretty cool promotion this weekend. On Saturday, if you go to the ballpark and make a deposit on season tickets, you'll get three swings from home plate. If you hit a home run, you get the seats for free.

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2016/02/16/...ur-seats-event
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:55 AM   #350
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The Rangers are doing a pretty cool promotion this weekend. On Saturday, if you go to the ballpark and make a deposit on season tickets, you'll get three swings from home plate. If you hit a home run, you get the seats for free.

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2016/02/16/...ur-seats-event

That is cool! Hopefully they dont bring out Yu.