Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-20-2015, 12:58 AM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Video Games you wish existed (but don't)

Ok, I was thinking about games I'd love to play.. I can't program things worth a shit, but I have Ideas, oh man do I have IDEAS.

1) Shadowrun (this one is fairly simple. Take Payday 2's maps and general game play.. throw in Shadowrun's Orks/Trolls/Elves and Magic/Technical blend) Missions can be done in stealth or "A Giant Troll covered in chrome walks in and starts shooting up the place". Multiplayer vs Environment (cops/corps). Spend money from doing jobs on improving your character's skills (be they shooting, magical, technology, what have you) as well as unlocking new toys to play with

2) A Build Your Own Fighter Game. We haven't had anything since Fighter Maker on. what.. PSX? PS2? Create a visual for your fighter, choose a martial Arts style (like using CAWs in the WWE game), and then as your character gets more experienced, pick new moves to expand your character's style. (do you put points into grab for that improved suplex, or throw it into ki to throw fireballs, ala Ryu). Complete with customize a move system depending on what the input is to enter it (for example, your standard Hadouken quarter circle forward for basic moves, or a more complicated input like a charge back plus all three punches or kicks for super moves)

3) KOTOR 3. Like SWTOR but primary emphasis is single player, but a friend can jump in and control one of your companions/teammates.

4) Jade Empire 2. Sorry. Know we'll never get it but... it deserves to be remade on current gen at the very least.

5) Challengers for Madden/NHL (EA), NBA (2K) and MLB the show (Sony).. we need challengers to up the sports game environments

What's on your list?

SirFozzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:01 AM   #2
wustin
College Prospect

For number 2, you have MUGEN

M.U.G.E.N - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:59 AM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I agree with most of your list and I generally think that competition is great, but even without significant competition, I feel like NBA 2k ups their game almost every single year. I'm very impressed with their upgrades to this year's game both on and off the court.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:18 AM   #4
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

MMO based on D&D's Mystara World. Preferably by a competent developer.

An American Football game that's at the level of FM.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:28 AM   #5
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Two games:

A new NCAA Football for my console

TCY 2 for my PC
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:56 AM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I want tecmo football career fully supported for the phone with current and historic players
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:58 AM   #7
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Two games:

A new NCAA Football for my console

TCY 2 for my PC

All I would need
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:42 AM   #8
Kodos
Resident Alien

NCAA football and basketball games.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:43 AM   #9
QuikSand
lolzcat

A good, solid, stable thoroughbred horse racing game.

I want to be able to function as a combination owner/trainer -- where I target horses to acquire for my stable, guide their conditioning and race schedule, and participate in a coherent universe that simulates (scaled down is fine) the real world of modern North American racing.

I'm fine if the game has betting, too, that makes sense. And I think a robust breeding function is an obvious addition, but not absolutely essential.

There have been a few decent swipes at this, but nothing has really even hit the red circle that's just outside the bullseye yet.

Funny thing is, it doesn't seem like this would be all that hard to do, technically. I say that as a non-programmer, but someone who has a decent grasp of the processes required to convert an idea into a number crunching system. I think this would be far easier than any team sports sim.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:52 AM   #10
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I want a "Tecmo Bowl of sports text sims".

I'll explain. Remember trying to learn how to play Tecmo? No, you don't, because there was no learning curve. You picked up a controller and you played. You could play nonstop for a year, become an expert, invite your friend over, hand him the other controller to them, and they'd be 90% as good as you by midway through the first quarter.

Was it realistic? No, not really. It certainly wasn't anything like modern day Madden, But it was fun and easy and close enough, and it didn't do anything complicated just for the sake of it.

I'd love a sports text sim that took the same approach. Basic realism and all the main features like a draft, free agency, roster management, simmed games, etc. But quick and easy, where I wouldn't feel like I need to take a college course to get started. I don't want to open up a brand new career and find out that I don't know my own team's ratings because I haven't gone through and individually assigned scouts to tell me. I just want to make a few moves and start simming.

I realize all the hardcore fanboys would hate it because mastering something complicated makes them feel cool, but I just don't have time for these learning curves anymore.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:13 AM   #11
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Big plus 1.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:19 AM   #12
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post

I'll explain. Remember trying to learn how to play Tecmo? No, you don't, because there was no learning curve. You picked up a controller and you played. You could play nonstop for a year, become an expert, invite your friend over, hand him the other controller to them, and they'd be 90% as good as you by midway through the first quarter.

Was it realistic? No, not really. It certainly wasn't anything like modern day Madden, But it was fun and easy and close enough, and it didn't do anything complicated just for the sake of it.

I'd love a sports text sim that took the same approach. Basic realism and all the main features like a draft, free agency, roster management, simmed games, etc. But quick and easy, where I wouldn't feel like I need to take a college course to get started. I don't want to open up a brand new career and find out that I don't know my own team's ratings because I haven't gone through and individually assigned scouts to tell me. I just want to make a few moves and start simming.

I realize all the hardcore fanboys would hate it because mastering something complicated makes them feel cool, but I just don't have time for these learning curves anymore.

I agree with this. MLB the Show has been the only game recently that seems simple enough that anyone can pick it up and play. I recently bought NBA2k16 and feel I need to study the game for hours before I'm effective. I play FIFA with a buddy of mine and we play like we're playing NHL '94. Five-star moves? Are you kidding me?!
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:25 AM   #13
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

a game where you can find love and friendship. where each day brings something new and unexpected.

i'm tired of stealing stuff, killing people, savaging for soda bottles, killing mutated animals, hiding from enemies, killing monsters, pretending I'm an athlete, etc...

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 11-20-2015 at 09:30 AM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:56 AM   #14
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
a game where you can find love and friendship. where each day brings something new and unexpected.

Love Boat the Game?
Old 11-20-2015, 10:48 AM   #15
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post

Undertale already exists. As does Life is Strange.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:57 AM   #16
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Tie Fighter 2 comes immediately to mind.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:18 AM   #17
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Stickman football is almost like this. My kid hates to watch football but plays it nonstop. He doesn't have to worry about player ratings or anything like that. He knows which button is pass and how to kick.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:34 AM   #18
mckerney
Coordinator

1. A third Bayonetta game - Platinum is putting out several games that look fantastic, including NieR Automata which was my #1 dream game before it was announce, but I'd love a return to Bayonetta. Metal Gear Rising 2 would be nice as well.

2. System Shock 3 - The BioShock series left me disappointed and failed to live up to what I was hoping for after System Shock 2, have been longing to a return to something like System Shock ever since.

3. Star Wars Musou - Star Wars seems like the perfect property for the Musou series.

4. Just a return to good Star Wars games in general - More games like Dark Forces, Rogue Squadron and Shadows of the Empire. We've been getting great Star Wars board games lately, need the same for video games.

5. Another major franchise game from Obsidian - KOTOR3 or a new Fallout game from Obsidian would be wonderful.

6. WarCraft 4 - Blizzard plz.

7. A David Cage game that didn't go completely off the fucking rails in the second half - Fahrenheit had one of the best openings to a game ever, a brilliant first half and then got completely fucking insane. It's been a trend in his games ever since. Hopefully Detroit is able to stay relatively sane and coherent all the way through.

8. Dresden Files Mystery/RPG - It always feels like there aren't enough RPGs with a modern day setting like Vampire the Masquerade or Alpha Protocol. Something like a Dresden Files RPG heavily focused on mystery/crime solving would fit in perfectly with those two.

9. Nintendo Football game - Something akin to Super Mario Strikers but for football. Ideally with a Super Smash like roster that included characters from Nintendo and non-Nintendo properties alike.

10. A Pathfinder RPG

Last edited by mckerney : 11-20-2015 at 03:55 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:49 PM   #19
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:

Exactly. +1000 if there's a pro version that can use the college game to create a draft pool. Hopefully, 2K is going down that road by including some colleges in NBA2K16.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:59 PM   #20
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I want tecmo football career fully supported for the phone with current and historic players

Boom. Head Shot.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:25 PM   #21
BillJasper
Pro Starter

A good Star Trek game, in the style of Mass Effect.

Last edited by BillJasper : 11-20-2015 at 03:25 PM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #22
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

A good remake of Starflight.

BB Pro and FB Pro done in the style of FM.

An indoor lacrosse game that captures the game of the 90's (it isn't quite the same now).

A good college baseball game like the MVP game several years back. That may have been my favorite in that series.

The next Brothers in Arms game; should have been Bastogne coming up next.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:53 PM   #23
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

Totally agree with this. Basketball GM is sort of in this vein, I had a lot of fun with it for awhile.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:59 PM   #24
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

tcy 2.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:24 PM   #25
Izulde
Head Coach

1. A political sim where you progress from say, the city council level and work your career up to presidential candidate. There was a game by a professor at the University of Washington I think it was that started working on this, but it was too buggy in the career portion of it, and I'm not sure if he was able to get the funding to continue working on it. I wish I could remember the name of it.

2. Jade Empire 2, or a new gen-remake. I loved the hell out of that game and it's still not only my favorite Bioware title to date, but is in at least my Top 10 favorite games of all time.

3. President Infinity with a career component that allows you to track the rise and fall of candidates and parties through the years.

4. Balance of Power with much longer play-time. Another of my favorite all-time games, but the turn limits frustrate me.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:29 PM   #26
Izulde
Head Coach

Election Day by John Gastil (he's at Penn State now, but created the game at Washington). Sadly, it's not available for download anywhere, probably because of how buggy it was. That could have very easily become my favorite game of all time.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:09 PM   #27
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Totally agree with this. Basketball GM is sort of in this vein, I had a lot of fun with it for awhile.
Not really a basketball guy but I'll check it out.

The closest I've seen to this sort of concept was iOOTP on my phone. That was actually pretty good -- lots of features and a pretty decent career play, but nothing too complicated and only a handful of ratings to look at. The only issue is that I'm not a huge fan of playing on my phone; would love to see something like that I could play on my laptop.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #28
Balldog
Pro Rookie

College Hoops 2K16
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:54 PM   #29
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I had an idea for a game a while back that was a joke at the time but I think would make an interesting game. Essentially it would be built as an espionage/stealth type game, where your goal would be to infiltrate high society parties as a guest and ultimately find a way to crash the party. The goal would be to cause as much chaos as possible and the fun would be seeing what kind of creative things you could think of to make everyone's night miserable. If you're found out however, the game becomes a free running "escape the cops" type game where you have to evade security and find a way out to safety.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #30
Groundhog
Coordinator

The combination of actual college teams in NBA 2K16 plus the team/court designer has me stupidly optimistic re: a semi-licensed college game at some point, maybe including a handful of real schools plus the ability to add your own teams/conferences etc.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:11 PM   #31
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I had an idea for a game a while back that was a joke at the time but I think would make an interesting game. Essentially it would be built as an espionage/stealth type game, where your goal would be to infiltrate high society parties as a guest and ultimately find a way to crash the party. The goal would be to cause as much chaos as possible and the fun would be seeing what kind of creative things you could think of to make everyone's night miserable. If you're found out however, the game becomes a free running "escape the cops" type game where you have to evade security and find a way out to safety.

This sort of already exists.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:33 PM   #32
Ragone
Pro Rookie

a remake of Street Rod would be amazing... just saying..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:29 PM   #33
Critch
lolzcat

An updated remake of Sid Meier's Covert Action. Loved that game, havent seen anything like it since.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:38 PM   #34
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
An updated remake of Sid Meier's Covert Action. Loved that game, havent seen anything like it since.

Holy shit yes. I haven't even thought of that gem for a long time, what a game
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:46 PM   #35
stevew
Hall Of Famer

A driving game that actually teaches you how to drive in driving games. Something so you can become good at Forza, et al.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:53 PM   #36
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:

I was talking to a sales guy at GameStop about NCAA football. He told me the NCAA is working with EA to pay the players and use their images. He may have been making stuff u. But it makes sense.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:15 AM   #37
stevew
Hall Of Famer

clearly a guy making less than a dozen or so dollars per hour would know such information.
Old 12-25-2015, 02:52 AM   #38
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I'd still go with teh Pier

My Ideal Game - Front Office Football Central

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:35 AM   #39
ColtCrazy
College Starter

A Skyrim style game in the Star Wars universe.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:43 AM   #40
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
A good remake of Starflight.

Yes, last game in this mode I liked was Star Control 2, which was made by some of the same team for Starflight.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 11:33 AM   #41
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
A driving game that actually teaches you how to drive in driving games. Something so you can become good at Forza, et al.

That was what...Gran Turismo 1 last time we saw that?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 01:24 PM   #42
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:

I'd be in for $100 or more on a kickstarter for this.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 01:39 PM   #43
BYU 14
Coordinator

A new version of Darklands ala Wasteland 2
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #44
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
A good, solid, stable thoroughbred horse racing game.

I want to be able to function as a combination owner/trainer -- where I target horses to acquire for my stable, guide their conditioning and race schedule, and participate in a coherent universe that simulates (scaled down is fine) the real world of modern North American racing.

I'm fine if the game has betting, too, that makes sense. And I think a robust breeding function is an obvious addition, but not absolutely essential.

There have been a few decent swipes at this, but nothing has really even hit the red circle that's just outside the bullseye yet.

Funny thing is, it doesn't seem like this would be all that hard to do, technically. I say that as a non-programmer, but someone who has a decent grasp of the processes required to convert an idea into a number crunching system. I think this would be far easier than any team sports sim.
How important are the graphics? I'm not taking about the UI -- that's really important -- but the racing itself. I have a good understanding of the horse racing and gaming, and could probably write most of the code except for the graphics. Have you looked at Starters Orders 6? Mostly for the UK crowd, but I was wonder how guys like you and path12 feel about it.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:08 PM   #45
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
A new version of Darklands ala Wasteland 2

Good choice. I'd like to see this too.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:24 PM   #46
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Ok, I was thinking about games I'd love to play.. I can't program things worth a shit, but I have Ideas, oh man do I have IDEAS.

1) Shadowrun (this one is fairly simple. Take Payday 2's maps and general game play.. throw in Shadowrun's Orks/Trolls/Elves and Magic/Technical blend) Missions can be done in stealth or "A Giant Troll covered in chrome walks in and starts shooting up the place". Multiplayer vs Environment (cops/corps). Spend money from doing jobs on improving your character's skills (be they shooting, magical, technology, what have you) as well as unlocking new toys to play with

many people like the re3cent slew of indie shadowrun games that are out on steam. sounds like you want an MMO

Quote:
3) KOTOR 3. Like SWTOR but primary emphasis is single player, but a friend can jump in and control one of your companions/teammates.

it's called Star Wars: The Old Republic
Do THe Imperial Agent and Sith Warrior stories. THere's your kotor 3

Quote:
4) Jade Empire 2. Sorry. Know we'll never get it but... it deserves to be remade on current gen at the very least.
we have a winner. We definitely need a modern system japanese RPGfest!
With all the l5r games that popped out of the board and card game anus, you'd think SOMEONE would have put together a strong computer advenutre/rpg

Quote:
5) Challengers for Madden/NHL (EA), NBA (2K) and MLB the show (Sony).. we need challengers to up the sports game environments

So you're saying you want yet ANOTHER sports franchise...
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:30 PM   #47
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Hmmmm...

Halflife 3 plx!

Would like an ACTUAL Thief 4. Wouldn't mind if they used the same engine of the first 2 and just came up with new stuff for it. But really that latest POS was just awful. Wasn't thief at all. An updated engine but keep the same masterful sound quality and tricks they used. More scary levels like Down in the Bonehoard, more creepy oppressive levels like Cragscleft prison, more spawling levels like Life of the party, more story levels like Trail of Blood,

Unreal 3...but let us play a Skaarj...or a Nali Priest!

A game set in the world of the Board Game Abyss. That game had quite a taped on theme but the art and world were amazing. Would like it to marry up with a good story.

A good game in the world of Camelot

A dystopian future driving/shooting game
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:38 AM   #48
JPhillips
General Manager

An open world Elric of Melnibone game.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:28 AM   #49
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post

This easily works as "wedding crashers:the game". Any number of things could grant you points, such as sleeping with a bridesmaid (or even the bride, lol), spiking the punch, doing a toast, etc etc. Would seem to be a pretty hard game to randomize experience for, however.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:35 PM   #50
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

I want a track and field sim, dammit!
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote