Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-10-2016, 11:50 AM   #51
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Meeting over. Trump said Obama is a "very fine man."

Obama called it an "excellent" conversation that was wide-ranging and he is "very encouraged." "Important for all of regardless of party for all of us to come together."
Trump called Obama a "very fine man" whose counsel he will seek. "I very much look forward to dealing with the President."

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:56 AM   #52
Ben E Lou

Trump campaign removes ‘Muslim ban’ link from website
Old 11-10-2016, 11:59 AM   #53
Ben E Lou

Supreme Court list gone too
Old 11-10-2016, 12:16 PM   #54
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Meeting over. Trump said Obama is a "very fine man."

Obama called it an "excellent" conversation that was wide-ranging and he is "very encouraged." "Important for all of regardless of party for all of us to come together."
Trump called Obama a "very fine man" whose counsel he will seek. "I very much look forward to dealing with the President."

Trump acting very presidential since the acceptance speech. This is nothing like the campaign version of him. I wonder if that's disappointing to any of his supporters. I'm choosing to think it's a good sign.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:21 PM   #55
JPhillips
General Manager

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...tml?tid=sm_tw#

Evil Empire to campaign operatives.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:35 PM   #56
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Trump has always been an actor and a charleton throughout his life. He will pick and choose parts of his campaign that help him now that he has won. Things that hurt his personal glory/plan will be lost or "forgotten". His history shows this will be the case and if I were a right-winger, I would be very concerned that he won't keep half (or even a quarter) of his promises.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:17 PM   #57
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

If Trump gets the idea in his head that protecting a woman's right to choose could profit him somehow down the road there will be abortion clinics next to every Starbucks.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:31 PM   #58
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Trump has so far named a climate change denier as his EPA transition chief. And the names being floated for Homeland Security are David Clarke and Joe Arpaio. So far this tells me he's going to be exactly what he promised to be during his campaign.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:33 PM   #59
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Trump has so far named a climate change denier as his EPA transition chief. And the names being floated for Homeland Security are David Clarke and Joe Arpaio. So far this tells me he's going to be exactly what he promised to be during his campaign.

It has certainly given me hope for that to be the case (tho I'd prefer Arpaio at Immigration and Clarke at DoJ) but right now they're both just names floating around.

I won't count our blessings until they're in office & running things.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:03 PM   #60
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Arpaio won't get the job - he lost his election (meaning - "He's a loser")
Old 11-10-2016, 02:31 PM   #61
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Arpaio won't get the job - he lost his election (meaning - "He's a loser")

Isn't it somewhat common for dispatched politicians to get cabinet roles tho?
Trump is reportedly looking at at least 1-2 others that have lost for various jobs so it wouldn't seem to be an impediment.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:35 PM   #62
JPhillips
General Manager

Isn't Arpaio under federal investigation? I don't think even Trump would be shifty enough to bury that so Arpaio could get a job.

Last edited by JPhillips : 11-10-2016 at 02:35 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:28 PM   #63
Thomkal
Head Coach

Day 1 in Trump America:

Day 1 In Trump's America
Old 11-10-2016, 07:42 PM   #64
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Day 1 in Trump America:

Day 1 In Trump's America

Day 1000 in Trump America
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:04 PM   #65
Thomkal
Head Coach

It would not surprise me if some of it was made up/lying, etc. (I know of one picture not shown here of two white college students in blackface-has been doctored). The white man being beat up was over a traffic incident I have found out since I posted this. But even if its all made up, it has some value in reading through it I think
Old 11-10-2016, 09:07 PM   #66
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But even if its all made up, it has some value in reading through it I think

Yep.

Illustrates how gullible large portions of the public are, and the extremes a few malcontents will go to exploit that.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:19 PM   #67
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Guy I used to work with is becoming fairly important in democratic politics in Michigan. Was involved in a demonstration and posted a live video(in Grand Rapids). I get people being upset, I'm not thrilled myself, and I was fine with it till they started chanting 'not my President' over and over again. Three weeks into January, he's going to be. Really. That's how it works. Each voter/bloc doesn't get pick their own president.

Then another former co-worker, who has gone on about 'Killary' etc. all campaign long, puts up a message of unity, let's all rally around Trump no matter what we believe, etc. Just astounded me. Had no substantive response to it being pointed out that he sure wasn't willing to do that with the shoe on the other foot.

I hope we get past this stuff eventually, but I don't think we are off to a good start.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:00 PM   #68
Edward64
Head Coach

His top 3 priorities.

Interesting that he left ISIL off but maybe these were just his domestic priorities.

In Capitol Hill Meetings, Donald Trump Reveals His Top Priorities - NBC News
Quote:
After a meeting with the top Republicans on Capitol Hill Thursday to discuss the agenda ahead, President-elect Donald Trump laid out his top three priorities: immigration, health care and jobs.

"We're gonna look very strongly at immigration; we're gonna look at the border. We're gonna look very strongly at health care, and we're looking at jobs — big league jobs," Trump told a throng of reporters after a meeting with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell in the lawmaker's second-floor Capitol Hill office.

While Trump mentioned the border being a top priority within the realm of immigration, he did not specifically mention the construction of a physical wall, something that he campaigned heavily on. Such a wall, however, is estimated to cost tens of billions of dollars.

"We have a lot of priorities, a lot of really great priorities," Trump added. "People are gonna be very, very happy."

Trump was asked if he would ask Congress to ban Muslims from entering the country, a proposal Trump floated on the campaign trail. But Trump ignored the question, said "thank you, everybody" and walked away.

After a temporary removal of his Muslim ban from his website, it is now back on it, reported the Washington Post.

The new website for his transition, GreatAgain.gov, however, doesn't include a Muslim ban per se, but calls for the suspension of "the issuance of visas to any place where adequate screening cannot occur."
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:12 PM   #69
JPhillips
General Manager

It's going to be great to watch the folks here that complained about the stimulus praise a budget that cuts taxes and spends heavily on infrastructure.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:35 PM   #70
wustin
College Prospect

I'm just waiting for Trump to piss off the republicans and want single-payer healthcare after repealing Obamacare.

Last edited by wustin : 11-10-2016 at 10:35 PM.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 01:13 AM   #71
bhlloy
Coordinator

National Trump Healthcare Service. That would be hilarious.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:36 AM   #72
JPhillips
General Manager

Paul Ryan says that the GOP is going to phase out Medicare and replace it with private insurance.

The will not go over well.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:36 AM   #73
digamma
Torchbearer

Trump Health
Trump Visas
Trump Passports
What else can we license?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:47 AM   #74
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
It's going to be great to watch the folks here that complained about the stimulus praise a budget that cuts taxes and spends heavily on infrastructure.

That argument works sometimes but this site is pretty much blah on Trump and even anti-Trump from most of it's conservative members right? Who exactly has said anything other than "Well I hope this works out" on here? I know your agenda and that you are looking for a boogeyman with your dire warnings every 4-5 posts but I think you are arguing with the wrong crowd.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:52 AM   #75
Ben E Lou

Trump Team: "Ok, we've won! He can't do any more damage with Twitter. Let's him have it back."

Trump:

Trump Team: "Oops."

Old 11-11-2016, 07:41 AM   #76
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
I'm just waiting for Trump to piss off the republicans and want single-payer healthcare after repealing Obamacare.

I said that to my kids yesterday as a joke and then wondered if Democrats could manage to somehow not step on their dicks and just let it happen without derailing it from the sheer irony.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:40 AM   #78
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Looks like Paul Ryan is ready to finally live out his masturbatory fantasies of a Randian utopia. But I guess it's silly for me to be worried.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:02 PM   #79
dfisher
High School JV

Quote:
It would not surprise me if some of it was made up/lying, etc. (I know of one picture not shown here of two white college students in blackface-has been doctored). The white man being beat up was over a traffic incident I have found out since I posted this. But even if its all made up, it has some value in reading through it I think

Already some lying coming out.

Louisiana student ‘fabricated’ story of hijab attack, police say - The Washington Post
dfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:22 PM   #80
JPhillips
General Manager

Everything's a con:

Quote:
Trump adviser Newt Gingrich: "He may not spend very much time trying to get Mexico to pay for it. But it was a great campaign device."
Old 11-11-2016, 02:26 PM   #81
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Everything's a con:

See: Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 03:03 PM   #82
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
See: Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.

To be fair Obama tried to work with Congress but they kept stymieing him. Trump has a republican Congress to work with so there are no excuses.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:12 PM   #83
Ben E Lou

About that "repeal and replace" promise...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-t...law-1478895339
Old 11-11-2016, 03:21 PM   #84
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
About that "repeal and replace" promise...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-t...law-1478895339

Hidden behind a paywall.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:30 PM   #85
JPhillips
General Manager

He and Congress are looking for a way to keep the popular parts and repeal the unpopular parts, but you can't have one without the other. No preexisting conditions without a mandate really will kill insurance companies. I know I'd immediately cancel my insurance until I needed more than generic prescriptions.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:37 PM   #86
tarcone
Coordinator

There is no in between with Health care. you either do full privatization or full socialized.

A mix will not work in any form.

I want a cap on pharmacy costs. Everyone else in the world does this and we pay for it.

I want free healthcare. I will pay some more in taxes to eliminate health insurance.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 03:54 PM   #87
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
He and Congress are looking for a way to keep the popular parts and repeal the unpopular parts, but you can't have one without the other. No preexisting conditions without a mandate really will kill insurance companies. I know I'd immediately cancel my insurance until I needed more than generic prescriptions.

Yep.

If the goal is full coverage, the only ways to get there are state-run health care, or a mandate to make sure that insurance companies aren't getting saddled with the high-risk population while the healthy population walks away.

If the goal is 'lower costs,' you can get there without mandates, but the trade-off is you completely screw over people with pre-existing conditions.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 03:58 PM   #88
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
There is no in between with Health care. you either do full privatization or full socialized.

I want a cap on pharmacy costs. Everyone else in the world does this and we pay for it.

I want free healthcare. I will pay some more in taxes to eliminate health insurance.

The one area that I actually do with Trump is for Medicare to negotiate for drugs.

While I disagree on the universal healthcare system (I noticed Colorado rejected a state-run universal system by a big margin), I do agree with you on the pharmacy costs. The US shouldn't subsidized both the bulk of the world's Pharma/Biotech R&D (I'll have to check again, but I believe the US accounts for 75% of the world's R&D spending) and their drug prices. If other countries need to pay more to cover the difference in a drop here in the US, so be it.

I think there are little things that can be do to attack and reduce the costs in the system itself.

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-11-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 04:05 PM   #89
JPhillips
General Manager

There are some real risks involved in government negotiating drug prices, but I think something along the lines of, we pay your best price among industrialized nations, or something along those lines would work reasonably well.

As I've said before, there are only two ways to reduce costs, limit access or lower payments to providers.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:01 PM   #90
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Looks like Paul Ryan is ready to finally live out his masturbatory fantasies of a Randian utopia. But I guess it's silly for me to be worried.
Yeah, I don't think Paul Ryan will be able to push a large agenda. Breitbart: No 'amnesty' for Paul Ryan | TheHill
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #91
cuervo72
Head Coach

Donald Trump Doesn't Like This Any More Than You Do

‘Prediction professor’ who called Trump’s big win also made another forecast: Trump will be impeached - The Washington Post

I could absolutely see him resigning within a year.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:23 PM   #92
wustin
College Prospect

You'd rather have Pence be the president? You better hope Donald stays for the whole 4 years. Pence being VP is probably the GOP's shield to protect Trump.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:38 PM   #93
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, any dem who is hoping Trump steps down isn't paying attention. Pence is fucking terrifying. Should be hoping the guy who isn't actually as right wing as it gets doesn't step down
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:17 PM   #94
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

It isn't silly of you to be worried. Not in the least. You SHOULD be worried. We all should.

On the other side, we can't even see the bill you and Ryan are talking about because it hasn't been created yet. Last I checked, the Republicans don't hold a super majority in any slot. The dems can block the same way the reps did against Obama.

We have multiple levels of government for a reason. Do we even know that the more moderate members of the Republican party are going to vote for the things being talked about now?

I don't like Trump, not even a little bit. I didn't vote for him. He won. We live in a democracy and the candidate you want and the policies you want don't always get put into play. I want a national ban on the death penalty. The people spoke pretty loudly this week that they didn't agree. I'll have to deal with that and a supreme court that will never remove it in my lifetime. Democracy giveth and it taketh away.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:30 PM   #95
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
There are some real risks involved in government negotiating drug prices, but I think something along the lines of, we pay your best price among industrialized nations, or something along those lines would work reasonably well.

As I've said before, there are only two ways to reduce costs, limit access or lower payments to providers.
At the risk of being excessively snarky, there is a 3rd way - improving efficiency, greatly reducing the administrative bloat, and focusing on limiting costs instead of doing every possible test "just to be safe." Kasich pointed to some success he had in Ohio doing just that, and the hilarious levels of redundant people and tests I've dealt with in the last month attests to how much overlapping waste there is there.

(I was hit in the eye with a lacrosse ball, neither MassHealth or Fallon had a list of in network eye specialists, so for each follow up appointment I had to phone 4 different offices, 3 of whom I've never met, to get approval to see an "out of network" specialist. After I spent 3 hours at the initial ER and they recommended I go to Mass Eye & Ear to be cautious I had to practically threaten to walk out before they agreed to let my friend drive me and not waste resources on an ambulance. And each separate place insisted on doing their own battery of ultrasounds, X-rays etc initially even though I had a folder with all of that stuff taken within the last 24 hours, and they insisted on continuing to do tests "to be safe" even after it was obvious that my bones would heal and vision would come back 95% on its own and surgery was neither necessary nor helpful.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 11-11-2016 at 06:31 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:42 PM   #96
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So people are still protesting in the street over Trump's victory.

I wonder how many of them actually voted and what are they trying to accomplish?
Old 11-11-2016, 07:33 PM   #97
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

I think most of the stuff you see online is made up. I don't know why these people want to continue on with crying wolf and the identity politics after is spectacularly backfired in their face.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:38 PM   #98
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Opening up drug sales between borders would lower the cost of drugs immediately. It's insane that we can't buy the same exact drug from Canada that we buy from the United States.

I also agree with you on the healthcare thing. This in-between crap isn't working.

I also don't think you can actually have a fully private health care system. There is no incentive to sell health insurance to someone with a chronic condition. Who is going to sell insurance to the kid who lost the genetic lottery and got cancer? Who is going to sell insurance to an 80 year old man? And if people can't afford it, do doctors just let people die in the waiting room?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:42 PM   #99
miked
College Starter

As lots have said from the beginning, healthcare should a right, not a profit for companies that do nothing but hedge risk and pay claims. A lot of things people are clamoring for is what Obama and the senate first tried to pass...single payer system.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #100
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
At the risk of being excessively snarky, there is a 3rd way - improving efficiency, greatly reducing the administrative bloat, and focusing on limiting costs instead of doing every possible test "just to be safe." Kasich pointed to some success he had in Ohio doing just that, and the hilarious levels of redundant people and tests I've dealt with in the last month attests to how much overlapping waste there is there.

(I was hit in the eye with a lacrosse ball, neither MassHealth or Fallon had a list of in network eye specialists, so for each follow up appointment I had to phone 4 different offices, 3 of whom I've never met, to get approval to see an "out of network" specialist. After I spent 3 hours at the initial ER and they recommended I go to Mass Eye & Ear to be cautious I had to practically threaten to walk out before they agreed to let my friend drive me and not waste resources on an ambulance. And each separate place insisted on doing their own battery of ultrasounds, X-rays etc initially even though I had a folder with all of that stuff taken within the last 24 hours, and they insisted on continuing to do tests "to be safe" even after it was obvious that my bones would heal and vision would come back 95% on its own and surgery was neither necessary nor helpful.)

see, I would call that reducing payments to providers, as all those tests are about profit margins.