Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-25-2022, 05:35 PM   #1
AlexB
Pro Starter

Invasion of Ukraine

Thought this deserved a separate thread… we now know how the new world order is going to divide now - one surprise to me at least

From the BBC live feed:

Quote:
Russia, unsurprisingly, has vetoed a draft UN resolution which would have deplored its invasion of Ukraine, after a debate at the Security Council.

Eleven members voted in favour of the resolution. India, China and the UAE abstained.

AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 05:57 PM   #2
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The development today Putin should have seen coming: Xi is making it clear that Putin works for him and that Putin's own goals and motivations do not matter.

At this point, he has to realize he has destroyed his own legacy. While he can take Kyiv, and probably will in the next day or so, he can't move much further. Unfortunately for the people of Ukraine, there's no guarantee they won't become Belarus, part two. That would be just fine for China.

It really is up to the EU/UK and the US to decide just how far to take this. We didn't do anything when Crimea was taken (which, as we know, happened about a week after the 2014 Olympics in Sochi ended).
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:30 PM   #3
QuikSand
lolzcat

Glory to Ukraine
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:41 PM   #4
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Last month, a poll in Finland indicated 28% support, 42% opposition (30% uncertain), to joining NATO. Apparently, that was the first poll ever taken in Finland that indicated less than 50% opposition.

Presumably, that number would have changed this month. The Finnish PM indicated as much this week. Finland and Sweden would not act separately, either way.

The Russians have just warned Finland that they're next if they join (or words to that effect). Finland is the country perhaps most dependent on Russian energy exports, so perhaps the warning is pointless.

No idea which way this will go. Does Xi accept NATO as the line that can't be crossed (World War III being perhaps bad for the Chinese economy). Does the EU accept this kind of threat as easily as it apparently has accepted the invasion of Ukraine.

Glory to Ukraine, yes. But peace is better. The suffering just beginning in Kyiv - it's hard to imagine. We in the US haven't had to face that ongoing reality in almost 80 years.
Old 02-25-2022, 07:32 PM   #5
Atocep
Coordinator

My primary Russian teacher when I was learning Russian in the Army was from Ukraine and received asylum to the US by President Reagan. I keep going back to her stories of what it was like under Soviet rule and it's heartbreaking to see what's happening now while the whole world watches.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 08:15 PM   #6
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Sounds like the severing of Russia from SWIFT is about to happen. France just approved as well as Germany making moves toward it. Sounds like the US and Canada is pushing it pretty hard.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 08:17 PM   #7
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
At this point, he has to realize he has destroyed his own legacy. While he can take Kyiv, and probably will in the next day or so, he can't move much further. Unfortunately for the people of Ukraine, there's no guarantee they won't become Belarus, part two. That would be just fine for China.

What makes you think they can't go much past Kyiv? I haven't seen anything to that effect. Agreed on Xi for sure, but I don't think this changes Putin's legacy very much. This is who he's been. It's clearer and more obvious this time sure, but it's not fundamentally different in any way. He's been a strongman authoritarian, he is one, he clearly intends to be one to his grave.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 08:47 PM   #8
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
What makes you think they can't go much past Kyiv? I haven't seen anything to that effect. Agreed on Xi for sure, but I don't think this changes Putin's legacy very much. This is who he's been. It's clearer and more obvious this time sure, but it's not fundamentally different in any way. He's been a strongman authoritarian, he is one, he clearly intends to be one to his grave.

For clarification, Kyiv being the location of the central Ukrainian government, I mean control of Ukraine and the ability to put a puppet government in place.

Much past that would mean either the Baltic states, since they are in NATO and presumably Xi believes that's a red line and does not want WWIII to begin, or Finland/Sweden if they begin the NATO process (being mostly capable of joining, as far as I know) and Putin continues with his threats.

I don't know, though. Moldova seems like it's pretty much in the same camp as Belarus and Georgia seems to be quite willing to do whatever it takes to stay out of Putin's vision.

I hope the pressure remains. As painful as it is, that Ukraine has the resolve to avoid supporting a puppet government and that the EU and the US does everything it can to help that process and never recognize whatever Putin puts in place there. Because we can't stop what's happening now.
Old 02-25-2022, 08:50 PM   #9
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Ahh ok. I thought you meant he would be stopped before being able to control Ukraine. Makes a lot more sense now.

My only difference then is I think we can stop what's happening now. We just don't want to pay the price to do it. That could end up being the better choice, but I have my doubts. I think it's the more expensive one in the long run.
Old 02-25-2022, 11:39 PM   #10
Edward64
Head Coach

This is pretty cool. All world leaders not supporting Russia should do the same.

(let's say current world leaders so we exclude Trump)

Ukraine invasion - Boris Johnson directly addresses Russian people in their own language: 'I do not believe this war is in your name' | Politics News | Sky News
Quote:
Boris Johnson has directly addressed the people of Russia telling them in their own language: "I do not believe this war is in your name."

In a video message released on Friday night, the prime minister also spoke Ukrainian urging an end to the conflict.

Mr Johnson's latest comments after Kyiv was hit by airstrikes and fighting got closer to the capital.

In the two-minute video posted on Twitter, Mr Johnson said: "The scenes unfolding in the streets and fields of Ukraine are nothing short of a tragedy.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 11:42 PM   #11
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Sounds like the severing of Russia from SWIFT is about to happen. France just approved as well as Germany making moves toward it. Sounds like the US and Canada is pushing it pretty hard.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I've read France is committed but have read Germany still has reservations.

But yeah, lets do this and see what happens.
Old 02-26-2022, 01:16 AM   #12
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I've read France is committed but have read Germany still has reservations.

But yeah, lets do this and see what happens.

It immediately destroys 5%-10% of their economy.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 01:18 AM   #13
RainMaker
General Manager

Just a dystopia photo.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 05:38 AM   #14
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Reddit - Dive into anything
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 06:32 AM   #15
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Last month, a poll in Finland indicated 28% support, 42% opposition (30% uncertain), to joining NATO. Apparently, that was the first poll ever taken in Finland that indicated less than 50% opposition.

Presumably, that number would have changed this month. The Finnish PM indicated as much this week. Finland and Sweden would not act separately, either way.

The Russians have just warned Finland that they're next if they join (or words to that effect). Finland is the country perhaps most dependent on Russian energy exports, so perhaps the warning is pointless.

No idea which way this will go. Does Xi accept NATO as the line that can't be crossed (World War III being perhaps bad for the Chinese economy). Does the EU accept this kind of threat as easily as it apparently has accepted the invasion of Ukraine.

Glory to Ukraine, yes. But peace is better. The suffering just beginning in Kyiv - it's hard to imagine. We in the US haven't had to face that ongoing reality in almost 80 years.
Main difference here is that Finland (and Sweden) are part of the EU, while Finland (unlike Sweden) is also a Euro currency member, which means the EU members in NATO would be forced to come to help. Basically, at some point, being part of the EU will force countries to (request to) join NATO.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 07:51 AM   #16
GrantDawg

Everything I am seeing this morning is bad news for Putin. Turkey is now refusing to allow Russian warships into the Black Sea. The leaders of Hungary and the Czech have openly condemned the invasion, and Kazakhstan is refusing to send troops in support as requested. These are some of Putin's biggest allies. They are now recognizing that this could easily be their fate at any time.
Old 02-26-2022, 07:55 AM   #17
QuikSand
lolzcat

Glory to Ukraine
Old 02-26-2022, 08:03 AM   #18
Edward64
Head Coach

My guess is if Ukraine can hold out long enough, world opinion against Russia will increase to the point where Russia will back off. They'll keep the 2 friendly regions and call it a win.

The big one is China. From what I've been reading in reddit (reliable as always), Chinese citizens favor Russia (primarily an anti-US, anti-West knee jerk reaction) but Chinese government seems to have gone more towards neutral now.

Really, really hope Ukraine can hold the commies off.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:07 AM   #19
Edward64
Head Coach

Bad ass grandma. I can believe the first one but guessing the second one is embellished. Still a great quote.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...an-troops.html
Quote:
The woman shouted at two of the invaders: 'What the f*** are you doing in our land?' while one of the embarrassed soldiers in Henichesk, a port city on the sea of Azov, tried to calm her.

She walked away, then called back: 'You should put sunflower seeds in your pockets so that they will grow on Ukranian land after you die.'
Old 02-26-2022, 08:16 AM   #20
GrantDawg

This would be catastrophic.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:31 AM   #21
JPhillips
General Manager

Hard to see how this ends, but of course it will. I can't see the Ukrainians laying down arms in support of a Russian puppet government, but I also can't see Putin withdrawing without at least being able to point to something as a victory. In the meantime, lots of people will be injured and killed.

God bless Ukraine.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:33 AM   #22
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I've seen speculation that Russia may drop a dirty bomb on its own citizens and blame it on Ukraine. Not sure if that's supposed to fool us or its own citizens. They are warning about it plus the health minister is asking for large numbers of medical personnel to be on call.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 08:33 AM   #23
GrantDawg

The Ukrainian Foreign Minister is saying that Hungary and Germany have signed off the removal of Russia from SWIFT and the preparations are underway.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 02-26-2022 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:36 AM   #24
GrantDawg

Meanwhile, the Turks haven't actually closed the Black Sea off from Russian warship movement. It was sent as a request that seemed like a report.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:50 AM   #25
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I've seen speculation that Russia may drop a dirty bomb on its own citizens and blame it on Ukraine. Not sure if that's supposed to fool us or its own citizens. They are warning about it plus the health minister is asking for large numbers of medical personnel to be on call.

propaganda, it's a helluva drug
Old 02-26-2022, 09:10 AM   #26
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

President of Ukraine: to US when offered an evacuation: "I need ammunition, not a ride."

I have no idea if that guy has been a good president, but he wins for Badass Leader Line.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 09:20 AM   #27
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Meanwhile, the Turks haven't actually closed the Black Sea off from Russian warship movement. It was sent as a request that seemed like a report.

The reason being something about an international law dictates that they cannot warships from returning to their home port after deployment. I don't know which law exactly, but that was the justification used.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 09:21 AM   #28
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
President of Ukraine: to US when offered an evacuation: "I need ammunition, not a ride."

I have no idea if that guy has been a good president, but he wins for Badass Leader Line.

It's essentially the Alamo at this point.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 09:30 AM   #29
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

Is that real?
Old 02-26-2022, 09:35 AM   #30
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Is that real?

I have seen it widely reported.

I think the thing that could really undermine Putin on the global stage is the targeting of civilians. Images like that tank and high rise buildings being bombed, and god forbid they hit that damn, are really going to shift peoples perspectives.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:50 AM   #31
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I guess I'll throw this thought out here:

But does anyone suspect that the main reason that Republicans like Mitch McConnell are calling for max sanctions against Russia is to help drive up energy costs in the US in which later they will blame Biden for?

Last edited by NobodyHere : 02-26-2022 at 09:50 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 09:58 AM   #32
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Everything I am seeing this morning is bad news for Putin. Turkey is now refusing to allow Russian warships into the Black Sea. The leaders of Hungary and the Czech have openly condemned the invasion, and Kazakhstan is refusing to send troops in support as requested. These are some of Putin's biggest allies. They are now recognizing that this could easily be their fate at any time.

Near as I can tell, Turkey closed off the Bosphorus but wouldn't Russia still have ships in the Black Sea from their bases on the other side of the sea as they control the eastern half of it?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 10:27 AM   #33
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

But does anyone suspect that the main reason that Republicans like Mitch McConnell are calling for max sanctions against Russia is to help drive up energy costs in the US in which later they will blame Biden for?

Too conspiratorial for me (and the price hike may not last that long). And there's always the Putin bogeyman to blame for a period of time.
Old 02-26-2022, 10:28 AM   #34
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Near as I can tell, Turkey closed off the Bosphorus but wouldn't Russia still have ships in the Black Sea from their bases on the other side of the sea as they control the eastern half of it?

SI

I was thinking that Russia already have ships in the Black Sea (e.g. heroic stand at Snake Island). And doubt Turkey would "confront" them.
Old 02-26-2022, 10:39 AM   #35
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 02:46 PM   #36
Atocep
Coordinator

I didn't have direct experience with Russian forces, but I do know a lot of people that did joint operations with them. Their equipment is dogshit. Their vehicles were usually not running and they were constantly trying to barter for parts, fuel, or working on them. They were undergeared and always trying to trade with our guys for new boots, warm weather gear, wet weather gear, ect.

Their soldiers are mostly young kids that are genuinely nice, but underpaid or not paid at all, and just doing what they are told. If you watch the sunflower lady video you see the soldier she's talking to is trying to defuse the situation with her and you can tell he probably doesn't want to be there. I'm sure when you combine those facts with most of these soldiers either having friends or family in Ukraine and I'm sure morale is a massive issue for the Russian forces at the moment.
Old 02-26-2022, 03:25 PM   #37
tarcone
Coordinator

Wouldnt it be awesome if Russia's privates just laid their arms down and said "nope, not doing this. " and left.

What a great sentiment that would be. I imagine every 12-30 year old inn the world would get behind that.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 03:27 PM   #38
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Wouldnt it be awesome if Russia's privates just laid their arms down and said "nope, not doing this. " and left.

What a great sentiment that would be. I imagine every 12-30 year old inn the world would get behind that.

That would be fantastic, but what happens after that?

Meaning, what would happen to the privates after they return home?

Last edited by NobodyHere : 02-26-2022 at 03:28 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 03:41 PM   #39
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:

I normally stray far from these political statements and conversations here but this is a little to over the top for me.

Seems to me most conservative voices are asking why the administration isn't quickly acting to reduce gas prices (reversing course on Keystone, allow more drilling domestically, etc). I would gain a ton of respect for the administration if they would do these things.

I have even heard suggestions that we use domestic strategic reserves. This seems a bit reckless to me though as should the proverbial crap hit the fan and we (US) be dragged into a major conflict the side with the most oil to fuel their forces will be at an advantage. I am not a warhawk but if we are dragged into a major military conflict I want our boys to have every advantage possible.

It seems that producing more energy/oil domestically ASAP would benefit us at home and militarily with very little immediate cost. I think we can table the environmental arguments over such a policy for a few years while we maximize our ability to respond to a world wide conflict that would likely pit us against China, North Korea, Russia, and Iran at minimum.

I pray it never comes to something like that but I want us to be as prepared as possible and hopefully deter such an outcome by our preparedness. I support Biden as our Commander in Chief and his decisions thus far in this conflict despite my disappointments in his performance politically/policy decisions thus far in his term. I hope we will not hold back the SWIFT lever if it comes down to our (US) vote.

Last edited by BigDPW : 02-26-2022 at 03:43 PM.
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 03:45 PM   #40
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Seeing reports the dam may have fallen
Old 02-26-2022, 03:47 PM   #41
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
That would be fantastic, but what happens after that?

Meaning, what would happen to the privates after they return home?

There would be a drastic spike in suicide rates among the soldiers and their families over the next couple years.

As it stands I expect some military leaders will be suicided over this.
Old 02-26-2022, 03:55 PM   #42
JPhillips
General Manager

Keystone wasn't scheduled to start pumping until 2030.
Old 02-26-2022, 04:04 PM   #43
JPhillips
General Manager

dola

This motherfucker just wandering around a firefight looking for a tank to blow up.

Old 02-26-2022, 04:05 PM   #44
tarcone
Coordinator

After China invades Taiwan rename this THE WW3 Thread.

This is the millenials time to shine. End this world war.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 04:17 PM   #45
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

People are insane.

Someone on my facebook feed stated they thought we should nuke every major city in China in response to the Ukraine situation, presumably just to make sure nothing happens in Taiwan. It would also 'encourage' Putin to take his army back home. I don't think they were joking.

Whatever we may think of our leaders, they're more rational than that thankfully.
Old 02-26-2022, 04:17 PM   #46
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
I normally stray far from these political statements and conversations here but this is a little to over the top for me.

I suspect Republican politicians calling for max sanctions on Russia are those who don't want to get on the wrong end of a PR war. If it also drives up petroleum prices, fine, take a look at their donors.

Quote:
Seems to me most conservative voices are asking why the administration isn't quickly acting to reduce gas prices (reversing course on Keystone, allow more drilling domestically, etc). I would gain a ton of respect for the administration if they would do these things.

What makes you think any of these things would quickly reduce gas prices? Keystone wouldn't have pumped until 2030. Thousands of drilling licenses lie unused. Etc....

Quote:
It seems that producing more energy/oil domestically ASAP would benefit us at home and militarily with very little immediate cost. I think we can table the environmental arguments over such a policy for a few years while we maximize our ability to respond to a world wide conflict that would likely pit us against China, North Korea, Russia, and Iran at minimum.

As of 2020, the United States used about 20 million barrels of oil a day (Mb/d). It also produced about 16 Mb/d. Some of that gets exported. Source: • US: oil consumption 2020 | Statista.

As of 2020, U.S. imports of petroleum amount to about 7.8 Mb/d, half of which is from Canada, and 7% of which is from Russia. Source: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Given these numbers and the number of drilling leases already granted lying unused, the U.S. is in perfectly good shape when it comes to petroleum dependency. And that's without even considering usage caps that could be instituted in the event of a wartime event.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 04:26 PM   #47
JPhillips
General Manager

Roman Abramovich transferred control of Chelsea to the charitable foundation. He must fear having the team taken away by the UK government.

Do it.
Old 02-26-2022, 04:38 PM   #48
cuervo72
Head Coach

Is that like the "charitable foundations" that "own" all the Waltons' art?
Old 02-26-2022, 04:48 PM   #49
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Keystone wasn't scheduled to start pumping until 2030.

The revised proposal which eliminated the potential for emissions by powering it with alternative sources of energy would have added 7-8 years to the project.

If it hadn't been canceled by executive order, it was scheduled to come online next year.

However, it's a dead project now. I don't think it could be restarted at this point without the government paying for what private investment was financing.

I know it isn't popular to talk about energy independence, especially since Trump is a big proponent. But I don't think it's out of bounds to say that without Europe's dependence on Russian exported energy, this wouldn't have happened.

The US and Europe are doing a great job reducing emissions - from the US and Europe. A lot of that is being moved to Asia and the atmosphere doesn't really care where it comes from.

Renewables have their place, but we don't have the advances in battery storage necessary to rely on them right now. Doesn't mean we stop trying, but the cost of insecure energy, well, it means that terrible people like Putin have a lot more power than they should have.
Old 02-26-2022, 04:59 PM   #50
Thomkal
Head Coach

I must say reading the various accounts of the war today on twitter and a bit surprised by two things:

1) How even the authoritarian governments around the world are turning their backs on Russia-I'm not sure Russia has any allies in this.

2) The reports on how Russian military equipment is just not prepared for the war-lots of stories about vehicles running out of gas and soldiers going around begging for food. I was expecting much more of a dominant Russian army and I worry what Putin might do if he sees his forces doing poorly.